• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Gamer Best Graphics of the Year 2023

CGNoire

Have you played it? It has some massive open areas. Not to the extent of Horizon, but its crazy that they were able to put in that level of fidelity in a non-corridor shooter.

HFW was already number 1 for him and DF last year and rightfully so. the DLC just doesnt add much beyond clouds.
Im only in the firsf couple hours and its mostly been a confined corridor outside of BrightFalls.

CGNoire

which means it's not a real open world.
It's a well camouflaged corridor that looks like a bigger area.
+ AW got some hubs from which you go to those corridors.

Compare dark souls 3 to elden ring and I would still say ds3 is more open than alan wake2
AW2 from the couple hours Ive played of it (outside of BrightFalls) seems more confined than AW1 even.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Scale freaking matters when talking about "technical" graphics otherwise lets include downloadable UE5 YT Tech demos why where at it.
Of course scale matters, how many times have you seen me praise FF16 and Spiderman's scale and setpieces? But if it was the only thing mattered than Alan Wake 1 would beat out Alan Wake 2 for best graphics. It had far larger environments. By that logic, a game like TLOU2 could never win goty over an open world game. Lets give 2020 graphics of the year to Watch Dogs legion, shall we?

AW2 beat out other games on his list because it does everything better. Cutscenes fidelity, level of detail, object quality, character quality, lighting, AND the scale is all very impressive. Again, dead Space and Callisto dont have the bright falls area you are exploring. There are several areas that are so large you need a map to explore them all and it is consistently great looking regardless of where you are, in a tiny bedroom or an outdoor area with lots of foliage or in the middle of NYC streets.
GOTY? This is about graphics not popularity.
I assumed people realized that i was talking about graphics of the year, not game of the year.

Vergil1992

I agree that Alan Wake is the best, but Avatar should be ranked higher, Horizon Burning Shores too, and in no way do I think Hogwarts Legacy is better than Cyberpunk, Avatar, and Horizon.

Quite a disagreement with the top in general.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I’ve not played but any gameplay that I check from avatar that is not the opening, looks like crap. Flat rocks sides, flat lighting…. It looks poor aside from tons of vegetation
There are three massive areas in the game. The biggest is the kinglon forest which is all trees and vegetation and thats the best graphics this gen. The other two areas dont look as good. The plains dont have much going on other than some cool wind effects or rocks which dont look too hot, and the final area just has a very ugly cloudy/foggy look.

But the main area of the game is easily the best most dense forest ever created with some of the best lighting and detail we have ever had.

GzaSZp6.gif

aYlPhWL.gif

HG5bf53.gif

xR2mydw.gif

CGNoire

Of course scale matters, how many times have you seen me praise FF16 and Spiderman's scale and setpieces? But if it was the only thing mattered than Alan Wake 1 would beat out Alan Wake 2 for best graphics. It had far larger environments. By that logic, a game like TLOU2 could never win goty over an open world game. Lets give 2020 graphics of the year to Watch Dogs legion, shall we?

AW2 beat out other games on his list because it does everything better. Cutscenes fidelity, level of detail, object quality, character quality, lighting, AND the scale is all very impressive. Again, dead Space and Callisto dont have the bright falls area you are exploring. There are several areas that are so large you need a map to explore them all and it is consistently great looking regardless of where you are, in a tiny bedroom or an outdoor area with lots of foliage or in the middle of NYC streets.

I assumed people realized that i was talking about graphics of the year, not game of the year.
Im not saying scale only matters but that it is and should always be a consideration.

Concerning where AW2 should sit on this list. I cant fully say since Im still working through it. Only a hour or so into New Noir York. So far though it seems to be a little too often claustophobic even in places like new york etc.. for me to be that impressed. The lack of SSS on the characters being a big sticking point. Although I am pleaseed to see the return of the "ingame" high quality facial acting that went MIA after QB. Really makes the game play more cinematic.......what little gameplay there is. (Thats a whole other conversation)

I would say Final Fantasy 16 due to how graphically impressive the Eikon fights and cutscenes are. Sometimes it's easy to forget you're playing a game, not watching a movie.

Last edited:
Top Bottom