• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True: Nintendo 3DS price drop @ Wal-Mart Aug. 9 ($170 + 20 free games, no hassle)

Pikma

Banned
Look, even if I paid full price, I'm ok with the price cut, and I get 20 free games, that's awesome, it's also ok if there are people capitalizing on the price cut and the free games, I mean, that's awesome! BUT then I realize that the damn red 3DS is gonna get released in September, one week away from my birthday. The fuuuuuuuuuuck! Now I can't get off my mind the fact that I could have had a free Flame Red 3DS. :(

It was the first time I got a system on launch day, it's also now the last.

enewtabie

Went over to a Walmart at Chapel Hill and no luck. The manager knew nothing
and said it was 249. He said he didn't know anything about a price change and along with a terrible meal from the Outback, it was a wonderful night.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
WordAssassin said:
Nintendo wants to kill off the DSi/XL. Heaven forbid you buy the system that can not only play all the old Picross DS games, but also games the DSi can't such as Mario Picross on the GBVC and any future 3DS Picross games.

You know what game I bought with my 3DS? Picross 3D. The thing is backwards compatible. Why buy the dying system they won't be making new games for anymore over the new system that is the same price, plays the old games, and will play new games going forward?
Well I tried buying it yesterday at Wal-Mart, but couldn't get an employee to do a price change. Might try again today.

enewtabie

So what's the secret. Tried 3 walmarts and they all are scanning 249.99.
Guess I'll wait on this for another time, but it must just be a local walmart thing.

1-D_FTW

enewtabie said:
So what's the secret. Tried 3 walmarts and they all are scanning 249.99.
Guess I'll wait on this for another time, but it must just be a local walmart thing.

I guess the secret is having a manager who isn't sitting on their ass. Most Walmarts not only updated the sale system, but clearly marked the new price in the glass cages.

Venfayth

enewtabie said:
Went over to a Walmart at Chapel Hill and no luck. The manager knew nothing
and said it was 249. He said he didn't know anything about a price change and along with a terrible meal from the Outback, it was a wonderful night.

I called the wal-mart near my house before I went, they thought it was still 249. I said

"I heard that wal-mart was dropping the price on the 3ds, I was gonna come pick one up"

The person on the phone promptly went to check, returned

"Oh. I guess you're right."

And then hung up before another word was spoken.

>_<

donny2112

If they won't give the free games to the Wal-Mart purchasers, then they

1) Won't give the free games to the Costco purchasers.
2) Won't give the free games to people who price-matched the Wal-Mart price.
3) Won't give the free games to people who price-match the post-price drop price.

Run for the hills everyone. :|

Nintendo is one of the most customer friendly companies out there. The fact that they're giving 20 free games to people who bought the system pre-price drop without having to is proof of that. They're not going to start some witch hunt to "get" people who follow Nintendo's own set down guidelines concerning how to get the 20 games. They'd rather make more people happy than worry about how many pennies they lost by allowing extra people to download ROMs from them and spend thousands of dollars chasing them down and excluding them from the free games.

Honestly, I expect people that miss the deadline but bought a 3DS before the price drop date could call Nintendo's customer service and convince them to let them into the Ambassador program after-the-fact, too. Nintendo is not out to "get" you.

Grisby

Local Wal-mart wouldn't budge, again.

Heading to the big city to try my luck I guess. $80 with the games is a deal, especially since Nintendo will probably overprice all that stuff on the e-shop.

Maybe some of you fellas that are having problems with Walmart employees should mention that it's $169 on their website, and see if they bite it. It is actually priced at that online, but you have to preorder it. Though I find it odd that my Walmart has it marked down to $169, but some other ones don't. I could have sworn that we had the worst Walmart.

enewtabie

StickSoldier said:
Maybe some of you fellas that are having problems with Walmart employees should mention that it's $169 on their website, and see if they bite it. It is actually priced at that online, but you have to preorder it. Though I find it odd that my Walmart has it marked down to $169, but some other ones don't. I could have sworn that we had the worst Walmart.

I showed the manager their own website on my iphone and he still wouldn't budge.

Zips

Hmmmm...

I tried asking for a price match at Wal-mart with the Costco price, but the woman I talked to refused to allow it unless I show them a flyer from the store showing the lower price. She said that even a picture of the lower priced product in the store is not allowed. Is there no Costco flyer showing the reduced price?

When I mentioned that I know the price is dropping to $170 (from Wal-mart's current $198 price point), she said that if I bring in the receipt after the price drop they can match it for me. Now at least I'm just worried the wal-mart will hang around the $198 mark for a while longer than the price drop day.

Any talk of Nintendo trying to keep people from getting both the price drop and free games in this like 2/3 day window is BS. It'd take alot of effort to track down those people, and would risk pissing off customers - especially those who just innocently bought a 3DS during that time. Nintendo wouldn't even be able to differentiate between those who innocently bought it and those who dived in to get the free games. People who are worrying about it are just worried because they feel like they're getting away with stealing.

enewtabie

Well this has been a waste of time. Tried my fourth walmart within 75 miles and no luck. They are just not lowering the price. I think I'll take this as a sign not to get one and just wait on something else. lol

enewtabie said:
Well this has been a waste of time. Tried my fourth walmart within 75 miles and no luck. They are just not lowering the price. I think I'll take this as a sign not to get one and just wait on something else. lol

Why not just buy one at $249 and have 'em give you the difference when it drops?

Chris R

If they don't give me my games then I'll just simply return the product for the full value I payed. Walmart has a 15 day policy on returning video game stuff I believe.

rhfb said:
If they don't give me my games then I'll just simply return the product for the full value I payed. Walmart has a 15 day policy on returning video game stuff I believe.

Problem here is that your 15 days will be up before September arrives, which is when the games are available.

BiggNife

WordAssassin said:
Hah, he pulled the story, and is saying "It's worse than what he was told" haha ok.

I already got my notification saying I'm an ambassador, but I can't wait to see what he says.
Hahaha what is he talking about what could be worse than not getting the games

BREAKING NEWS GUYS NINTENDO SENT AN UPDATE TO ANYONE WHO BOUGHT A 3DS FROM WALMART YESTERDAY THAT BRICKS YOUR 3DS PERMANENTLY UNLESS YOU MAIL A CHECK FOR 70 DOLLARS TO SATORU IWATA

Also, IF something were to happen (which I don't think it will!), what would probably happen is that Nintendo would raise the Ambassador cutoff to August 8 (Monday), because let's be honest here, why would anyone buy a $250 system four days before a price drop?

chubigans said:
Just called Target, they aren't doing the price drop today. I don't think I'm going to be an ambassador. :(
Dude! Just go to Best Buy and buy it, and then go back on the 12th and have them price match it for you to get our $80 back! It's super easy - as I've said before, I was explicitly told to do this by a manager at my local Best Buy, and so were others in a couple other 3DS threads. It is sooooo easy! JOIN US!

Chris R

AbsoluteZero said:
Problem here is that your 15 days will be up before September arrives, which is when the games are available.
But as of right now my system shows that I'm in the Ambassador club. So if they revoke that status before my 15 days are up, the system goes right back to Walmart. If it happens afterwards, I'll just sell the unit on Craigslist or something and take a $40-60 loss.

rhfb said:
But as of right now my system shows that I'm in the Ambassador club. So if they revoke that status before my 15 days are up, the system goes right back to Walmart. If it happens afterwards, I'll just sell the unit on Craigslist or something and take a $40-60 loss.

How and why exactly would they revoke your status?

Thoughts? I have enough gamestop credit to get a 3ds system and game when the price drops so that's a huge inventive to buy there. What if I buy one from Walmart today for cheaper to get in thr ambassado program an then Friday buy one from GS. Take the new one from GS back to Walmart in Friday for a refund. That way I use my GS credit to buy the 3DS and still get the 20 free games.

Is there any reason that won't work?

plasticpassion said:
Thoughts? I have enough gamestop credit to get a 3ds system and game when the price drops so that's a huge inventive to buy there. What if I buy one from Walmart today for cheaper to get in thr ambassado program an then Friday buy one from GS. Take the new one from GS back to Walmart in Friday for a refund. That way I use my GS credit to buy the 3DS and still get the 20 free games.

That should work. My mom does shit like that all the time when she finds deals at other stores.

WordAssassin said:
That should work. My mom does shit like that all the time when she finds deals at other stores.
Know for sure though? Im wondering if there will be some BS with the barcodes or with GS opening the system before giving it to me

plasticpassion said:

Hardware is a bit more difficult because I believe they actually scan the barcode for the serial number and that's printed on the receipt.

Don't mention doing this on CheapAssGamer. Those twats will bite your head off for even contemplating that. I'm actually not sure if that is considered return fraud or not. I've never seen a definitive answer on that.

I took the plunge at Best Buy and got me a nice Aqua Blue one. They said I couldn't get the discount early but I'd have no problem getting my money back on Friday.

Baron

I waltzed into a local WalMart and bought the black 3DS, it rang up at $169, and nobody was wiser. How long do I have to charge the damn thing before I can turn it on for the first time?

These non-instant uses of new toys really makes me wish for the days of AA batteries. :(

Baron said:
I waltzed into a local WalMart and bought the black 3DS, it rang up at $169, and nobody was wiser. How long do I have to charge the damn thing before I can turn it on for the first time?

These non-instant uses of new toys really makes me wish for the days of AA batteries. :(

I fired mine up as soon as I bought and played for the 20 minutes it took me to get home.

Baron said:

I turned mine on right out of the box. It ain't gonna hurtcha.

Baron said:

Did they scan the systems barcodes? Curious I they would know the difference if I took the same type back but with dif serial number

Hope it's not fraud?

Downhome

To make sure you eventually get the 20 free games do you just have to click the shop icon and browse around? I have looked through everything, downloaded Netflix and all the other free stuff, but I have yet to actually buy anything yet.

Boney

Banned
Baron said:
And you guys haven't had any issues with the charge not reaching its full capacity?
You'll get no problems with that. Also you don't need to wait for the battery to drain complety to charge, just charge it whenever you want.

Downhome said:
To make sure you eventually get the 20 free games do you just have to click the shop icon and browse around? I have looked through everything, downloaded Netflix and all the other free stuff, but I have yet to actually buy anything yet.
You just have to log in, so you're good. At the shop, go to the "news" section and you'll have a notification saying you're a Ambassador.

I'm pretty annoyed at how long it takes to charge this thing. The battery life wouldn't be much of an issue if this wasn't the case.

bananas

Banned
Well, I'm off to return my 3DS. I might rebuy one when Super Mario or Mario Kart comes out in a few months, but I don't need one now and $170 sounds more appealing.

plasticpassion said:
Did they scan the systems barcodes? Curious I they would know the difference if I took the same type back but with dif serial number

Hope it's not fraud?
If you really wanted to do this, you could put the new 3DS system into the old one's box. That'd be pretty shifty, and you'd have to give some reason for returning it opened but the bar codes on the box would be the same at least.

Too bad GameStop doesn't price match to avoid all this stupid shit.

Boney

Banned
Jimmy Stav said:
I'm pretty annoyed at how long it takes to charge this thing. The battery life wouldn't be much of an issue if this wasn't the case.
Thanks to the cradle I keep it charging at all times. Really helps me out. I always kept forgetting charging my DS and my PSP, so this works great for me.

Top Bottom