• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VICE: It's only a matter of time before Sony kills access to PS3 and Vita games entirely.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Makes sense.

As Jim Ryan said it's all about generations. Time to move on to the next system, and stop pressuring R&D for BC modes for all systems. Also, by going to PS5, these games have tons of microtrans so they'll make more money while allowing gamers to play old ass games cuts into the current sales model.

RCU005

The new design of the PS Store has many issues. It’s as barebones as it can be. It even feels worse than the first PS Store back in 2006 during PS3 launch.

I don’t know who the hell green lighted it or why, but it’s absolutely terrible in any device you use it (mobile, web, PS5, app).

Zog

Banned
The new design of the PS Store has many issues. It’s as barebones as it can be. It even feels worse than the first PS Store back in 2006 during PS3 launch.

I don’t know who the hell green lighted it or why, but it’s absolutely terrible in any device you use it (mobile, web, PS5, app).
Maybe they took after Nintendo.

Warablo

Until Microsoft decides GamePass isn't profitable enough, or a game is no longer worth keeping on the service because its no longer active enough or any number of things.
Then it'll disappear forever.
So because Gamepass isn't profitable, they are gonna stop supporting backwards compatibility?

No matter how much you kick and scream, digital streaming is the future just like music and movies.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
This is why discs will always have their value. Just personally owning it, and knowing it can't be removed from accessing. I honestly regret selling my PS3 sometimes, I'd love to re-visit some games. PS Now streaming isn't too great on my connection.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member

It's funny that since October the web store hasn't been improved in any way. It's still much slower than the previous store, it still has occasional errors resolved only by deleting cookies and logging in again and it still lacks screenshots/videos on game cards and basic filtering mechanics.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

So what is considered best practice here? We can't expect multiplayer servers to run forever but it's not unreasonable to expect to be able access your game as long as you have working hardware and a valid license is it? Regardless of length of time.

So because Gamepass isn't profitable, they are gonna stop supporting backwards compatibility?

No matter how much you kick and scream, digital streaming is the future just like music and movies.
Sure, it may well be the future.

Is it the future that I want?
Not really.

Tschumi

Wall of text.

They're releasing that DICE game in Vita eventually i hear.

Vita is still getting annual releases of baseball games and visual novels in Japan.

I already have all the vita games i could want, and i don't have a ps3 anymore so that's no big deal.

I feel sorry for people coming to vita late, but they can still get their hands on the full library of games if they're really determined to do so.

I genuinely think Vita is endgame handheld, can't be bettered. I would like it to get persona 5 though.

It's probably quite awhile before we'll lose access to PSP/PS3/PSVita digital products we've purchased. It's far more likely that the store will be sunsetted--we won't be able to purchase new content. But we'll still be able to download existing purchases. Considering stuff is still regularly releasing on Vita store, I don't think that will happen there anytime soon. But there's likely a ticking clock on how much longer we'll be able to purchase PS3 content. Probably once the PS5 becomes the mainline console for Sony--as in, people can reliably buy one when they want, there will be a move to start letting the PS3 go.

Hudo

So what is considered best practice here? We can't expect multiplayer servers to run forever but it's not unreasonable to expect to be able access your game as long as you have working hardware and a valid license is it? Regardless of length of time.
Well, in a good world, Sony would release the code for the multiplayer servers for games they don't wanna host anymore so the community could make their own. But that will never happen, so the best we can hope for is that some hardcore fans might reverse engineer enough stuff over time to have multiplayer servers hosted by themselves.

And access to the games you have bought shouldn't be even a discussion. Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo brought this shit on themselves with locking people into their ecosystems via online account digital-only bullshit. The companies need to make fucking sure that people can access their stuff.

MacReady13

No kicking and screaming here. Once gaming becomes streaming only, I stop playing new games.
I haven’t purchased a CD for years as I haven’t felt the need to (not really much into the shit music that’s released today).
Movies I still love to buy. Just recently purchased the Friday The 13th Blu Ray box set from Amazon USA and the Chucky (Child’s Play) collection on Blu Ray as well. Nothing better than owning these films and seeing them in my collection. Hope that never ends.
In terms of gaming, once these greedy fucking companies start going streaming only, they can shove that where the sun don’t shine. I’ll play my vast backlog and be content doing that for a very long time.
Small little story- the company that provides my home internet (Aussie Broadband) a couple of days ago went down for the morning. God forbid during that stage if I tried to stream ANYTHING at all. I’d be fucked. If that’s the future we all want, then I’m happy to stay off the grid.

GeorgPrime

Banned
No kicking and screaming here. Once gaming becomes streaming only, I stop playing new games.
I haven’t purchased a CD for years as I haven’t felt the need to (not really much into the shit music that’s released today).
Movies I still love to buy. Just recently purchased the Friday The 13th Blu Ray box set from Amazon USA and the Chucky (Child’s Play) collection on Blu Ray as well. Nothing better than owning these films and seeing them in my collection. Hope that never ends.
In terms of gaming, once these greedy fucking companies start going streaming only, they can shove that where the sun don’t shine. I’ll play my vast backlog and be content doing that for a very long time.
Small little story- the company that provides my home internet (Aussie Broadband) a couple of days ago went down for the morning. God forbid during that stage if I tried to stream ANYTHING at all. I’d be fucked. If that’s the future we all want, then I’m happy to stay off the grid.

Same for me too.

I will just stop playing videogames and iam sure a lot of people will do the same. :)

I stream Music yes but i also buy things i like on vinyl now.
I never read a book digitally because i hate it. Still buy normal books.

I may still buy games that i like if they bring out some collectors editions that need to be physical.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Streaming seems like a stop gag to me until the tech catches up and everything can run on everything. Is streaming more or less friendly to the environment?

fart town usa

Gold Member
PSPgo was limited from the start in terms of access to games. PSP titles have been getting removed from the PSN store for years. Thank God there's a softmod available. Now if only the PSPgo docking stations were actually affordable....

Last edited:
Top Bottom