• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Sony PlayStation 3

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
PS3-Game-Sale-Starts-on-PAL-PS-Store-Brings-Price-Cuts-for-Infamous-Killzone-More-370723-2.jpg

So I found a 160GB (non backwards compatible) PS3 on Facebook marketplace and than I started buying up PS3 games now, got a bunch since they’re ridiculously cheap now.

Sony made a lot of money from this console after starting off really bad.

(87 Million)

($599 US Dollars)

I could see a console being that price at launch a mistake.

bluray_logo.jpg

The ps3 has the ability to play Blu-rays, I can play DVDs, I guess CDs. I never got into collecting Blu-ray’s.

61vioYavzSL._SX342_.jpg

Sony’s response to the Wii’s motion controls were okay, at the time I ignored it, than years later I started “Sports Champions” it’s a different kind of Wii Sports, it’s got a bunch of games like frisbee and bow and arrow targets.

IMG-3845.jpg

Eventually the PS Store will fall apart, the store itself feels very slippery, I could see how people would use this version in 2006, 2008, 2010 etc. it gets the job done and feels like a real place to buy games.

ps3vsx360_0002.jpg

The DualShock 3. It’s a well designed controller, you have to charge it via a cable, the joysticks are so good, I haven’t got use to the triggers, I think the buttons are great. The size feels good, you get use to it.

Shoutout to Sony for keeping PS3 multiplayer free. It feels like a cheat code playing Socom Confrontation, Black Ops or Battlefield 4 online.

PS3’s accomplishments are fantastic, the depth of the exclusives and Sony over the last couple of generations have proven that exclusive depth makes the world go. Dominating the Xbox 360 later in that generation was a huge accomplishment, look at the last few exclusives GT6, God of War 3, Last of Us etc. Sony was committed to gaming. The beauty of the PS3 is in the eye of the beholder, what does GAF think of the PS3?

Quasicat

I bought a Super Slim a few years ago, right before the PS5 came out. I still use it for the Ratchet and Clank and Sly Cooper games. Such an amazing system with a bunch of great exclusives stuck on the console.

For me, the original fat day one PS3 was the most impressive piece of gaming kit I'd ever seen up to that point.

I mean aesthetically, it looked so imposing and, dare I say, beautiful - like the great monolith from 2001.
I loved how luxurious and futuristic it felt, like it really was something special.

No piece of gaming hardware before had ever felt so sophisticated to me, or been so interesting to interact with.

The U.I was great, the controller felt like a clear step up from the PS2 and Xbox pad, and booting up the bundled games (PES and CoD 3) that first time, all in pin sharp HD, felt like a watershed moment.

Cynicism, age, all factored in to my feelings towards the more recent Sony offerings.
I wasn't particularly impressed with the PS4s styling - feeling it was rather bland looking.
Though, I did feel the original ps5 has a similar kind of eye catching chunkiness...but only my new top tier gaming pc has given me a wow factor comparable to the PS3.

Last edited:

violence

I had a good time replaying the killzones recently. Real nostalgia hit using this hardware. It’s easy to forget how shitty the PSN store ran on this thing. It’s horrendous.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
It was a very dark time in my life... I went to university, I bought the Xbox 360 which destroyed my Gears of War disc, the Nintendo Wii was too weak in graphical power...

I spent a long time without having a new console. .. The PS3 was a birthday gift and as a reward for pass a test at university.

My first game was FEAR 2 project origin and Dead space. Ps3 was my salvation from that horrible console generation.

Needless to say, my university period was unpleasant 60% of the time... Ps3 was an entertainment escape.

My consoles are Slim and Super Slim.

Ps3 was my console of choice and my favorite of the generation. My first Playstation console and I enjoyed it with more than 80 physical games

Last edited:
I skipped out on the PS3 for years, finally picked up a 250GB PS3 Slim for cheap in 2010 - paid maybe $200 or $250. Basically used it as a bluray player, and modded it with CFW so I could play some of the exclusives like Demons Souls. I had fun with it, but it was not a great platform overall. I ended up keeping it and reverting the CFW to stock.

I just picked up the FFXIII trilogy from a local game store, it was pretty cheap. At some point I'll probably run through them. Can't think of too many other games trapped on PS3 aside from MGS Revengeance and MGS4 (but maybe not for long). Sure I'll have fun with it, but overall that whole generation doesn't really hold up.

Jesb

To me it was a great console, the xmb was such a generational thing coming from PS2. I still don’t mind navigating on this even today. There was some great games that unfortunately was not continued from that generation. I actually hooked my PS3 slim up again to see how it looks like on my new 4K set. A lot of games seem to be reverting to 720p for some reason while xmb is in 1080p.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
This has to be my least played console I’ve ever bought. The 360 just absolutely dominated it for me, but there were still some incredible exclusives.

Kinda like the Saturn this year, I bet I’ll return to the PS3 in about 10 years to play all of the excellent games I missed.

Part of me wishes I lived in the universe where they actually released the boomerang, though.

qjpjj2L.jpg

Justin9mm

PS3 was very nostalgic for me, it came out in my very early 20s in my first few years of living out of home on my own, I bought my 1st new LCD TV, a 1080p Sony Bravia.
Playing the OG MW & MW2 on it back then, I was amazed at the graphics and wondered how it could get any better than this. I was part of a clan online and probably the most amount of gaming hours I ever sunk in my life.. Too many days of playing til all hours of the morning. That was when COD was magical and simple.

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

Imho it was a MUCH better console than PS4. Except for it extremely rough first couple years.

But it was on PS3 that Sony introduced us to The Last of Us and Uncharted, both games that were better than their next-gen sequels.

Also, the best God of War (GoW3) was also released on PS3, and imo it was just SO MUCH better than the PS4/PS5 'reboot'.

It was on PS3 we were introduced to the Souls series, with Demon's Souls as well.

It was the gen where both GTA IV and GTA V got released (and we're still waiting for GTA VI).

Metal Gear Solid 4 was golden and imo was the last real MGS game, and much better than 5 too.

InFamous 1 and 2, SO MUCH BETTER than InFamous Second Son.

Killzone, specially 2, was actually good.

Motorstorm. Resistance.

And I probably could keep going... Just a very good console all around, and quite underrated specially when compared to PS4.

Last edited:

tibia

Neo Member
The PS3 was incredible! Some of the games carried a certain energy that reminded me of the previous era, before games became so focused on multiplayer/online.

Not all of these are ps3 exclusive but magical games to me: Heavenly Sword, Demons Souls, Eternal Sonata, Asuras Wrath, God of War 3.

It also introduced these games I appreciated but didnt care for too much: Infamous, Killzone, LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted.

Man, what a console. Rip to an era.

amigastar

This has to be my least played console I’ve ever bought. The 360 just absolutely dominated it for me, but there were still some incredible exclusives.

Kinda like the Saturn this year, I bet I’ll return to the PS3 in about 10 years to play all of the excellent games I missed.

Part of me wishes I lived in the universe where they actually released the boomerang, though.

qjpjj2L.jpg
This controller
200w.gif

For me it was fundamentally a disappointment, I liked Uncharted, I liked God of War 3, I liked The Last of Us, but it was still overall a massive downgrade over the PS2 that killed the momentum not just Sony, but arguably video games as a whole were on from the PS2 and it's never really fully recovered ever since imo.

Where were games like Silent Hill 2, Haunting Ground, Shadow Hearts, Rule of Rose? So many cool things on the PS2 that just vanished with the PS3, even within Sony first party I hated the way it killed devs like Incognito and series like Twisted Metal.

Any nostalgia is for it is pretty mild and it's all still kind of a sore subject for me.

Hoppa

Was my favorite era for sure, mostly because I was the prime age for internet shenanigans Chad Warden etc lmao. I dug out my old PS3 over the weekend to revisit Tekken Tag 2 and I forgot how short and stubby the handles/grips are. Probably got used to the Dualsense

The exclusives made the console more desirable than the console itself. It could output at 1080p, but only a handful games each year could do this. Other than the dashboard it was a very similar experience to the 360 (controllers are personal preference).

The PS4 was much better and the Pro was great (when they sorted out the fan).

Last edited:

Aion002

White Knight 1 and 2, Motorstorm Pacific Rift and Apocalypse, Killzone 2 and 3, Folklore, Dark Mist, Siren, Tokyo Jungle, Infamous 2, Drakengard 3, MGS4, Bleach Soul Resurrection, Yakuza Dead Souls and Kenzan, Trinity Zill, Trash Panic and Gundam Unicorn are still exclusive of the ps3 and they are too good for me to let them go.

Ps3 still is an amazing console with unique stuff.

Easily my favourite Playstation console ever. Super special, many special games. I never cared for PS1 or PS2 (save for a handful of games) but with the PS3 it finally clicked for me.

kyussman

Loved my PS3,it was the only console I owned that gen and I waited till the slim revision to get one.......I had a constant supply of great games the whole gen,probably the most fun years of my gaming life tbh......HD games,the real start of open worlds,great exclusives,free online......I was constantly being told the Xbox 360 was a better console with better versions of games,but PS3 was the console I owned and I was more than happy with it all gen.....my highlights were Motorstorm series,Ratchet and Clank,TLoU,playing the HD upgrades of GOW and the PS3 games,Red Dead Redemption,GTA IV,Dishonored,I could go on and on.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
The last great PS system

The last truly japanese PS home console....Playstation has fallen off a cliff creatively since PS3

I've had my slim hooked up since 2011 and the phat from 2009 to 2016 when the yellow light got it
Hopefully someone in charge of the company in the future moves things in a more PS3 like direction

EverydayBeast

PS3 won a generation that people said it couldn’t be won, and Xbox gamers don’t want to talk about the PS3’s comeback, they never report the PS3’s later success.

For those confused the “console war” was like world war 3 on YouTube, forums etc.

Very disturbing

And what about PS3’s other unique abilities like
1. Remote play, a hidden feature that Sony spent a lot of time developing.
2. “Other Os” let’s talk about how Sony doesn’t us to remember that you could make the ps3 into a super computer.
3. Netflix, some apps like Spotify, YouTube even people forget that the PS3 introduced apps on home consoles.
4. Has a web browser, no it’s not good it’s actually like a scrambled egg trying to navigate.
5. Ps home it’s a definitive sims, meets Facebook and Sony didn’t expect people to miss it. Pressure was probably them to ax it. But let’s not blow pass it was their response to Xbox 360’s “avatars”
6. Card readers, consoles than had sd card readers back than just think about that.
7. “Folding at home” you could offer your PS3’s power to contribute to cancer research.
8. 3D should be mentioned, Sony offered that. You had to have the right tv, glasses.
9. Install “themes” to your menu and btw XMB which has been repeated since, I got to say the XMB back than on PS3 should be praised, the folders, spacing, swinging between menus, themes.
10. The commercials had a huge attack line against Xbox.
11. The diehard fan base. Again this rampt up against the 360.
12. Those turn off 2006 interesting commercials.
13. The bundles, the hard drives variety, slim, super slim versions. It’s the one console that had very different bundles, and even physically multiple changes.

Certinty

What a mess of a console when it launched I must say.

Long install times.
Loading times were a joke for a lot of the games.
Couldn't message friends or do anything from the home screen in-game.
Sixaxis controllers were a mess.
Poor multiplat visuals and performance.

But credit to them turning it around, after the first few years it was without a doubt the best console on the market, once the great exclusives started rolling out everything else came together.

Last edited:

Calverz

The final years of PS3 was great. The launch years were pretty terrible. PS3 has a good library of exclusives to it. The multi platforms generally run better on the 360 bar a couple of outliers. I was playing book of spells last night with the move controller. Quite fun for children etc.

Vlodril

It was certainly their most diverse efforts on making games. They tried everything some if it worked some of it didn't. New consoles are better, the games too but they certainly were taking risks then when now not as much.

Trunx81

After being a long time Nintendo fan, the PS3 was my first Sony console. I will fondly remember it, although I like the PS4 better in so many ways.
Best memory from the first days: Trying to figure out where the hell this "R3 Button" is located on the controller.

Papa_Wisdom

I bought a slim towards the end of the generation like I do with all playstations. Had real fun scooping up all the exclusives for pennies. Was really impressed with the graphics of killzone 3, uncharted etc and had a blast playing through them. I hated mgs 4 though. I’m going to go back and play it again sometime.

Still have some games for it

Ico/ shadow of collisus
Jak and darter triology
Uncharted
Mgs4
That one with the missing kid (JASON?!???)
God of war trilogy, 3 and ascension
A few final fantasys

Got to experience home before it shutdown which was pretty interesting.

My slim developed and error though where it stopped displaying a picture via the hdmi. Bought some component cables, the dash would appear in hd but the games reverted to sd. Eventually sold that one as faulty and bought a super slim that I still have today though I’ve lent it to my mum as a DVD player. When I get it back I’m going to put cfw on it.

Good system, worth it for the exclusives. Wish I had picked up an og backwards compat system.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

PS3 won a generation that people said it couldn’t be won, and Xbox gamers don’t want to talk about the PS3’s comeback, they never report the PS3’s later success.

For those confused the “console war” was like world war 3 on YouTube, forums etc.

Very disturbing

And what about PS3’s other unique abilities like
1. Remote play, a hidden feature that Sony spent a lot of time developing.
2. “Other Os” let’s talk about how Sony doesn’t us to remember that you could make the ps3 into a super computer.
3. Netflix, some apps like Spotify, YouTube even people forget that the PS3 introduced apps on home consoles.
4. Has a web browser, no it’s not good it’s actually like a scrambled egg trying to navigate.
5. Ps home it’s a definitive sims, meets Facebook and Sony didn’t expect people to miss it. Pressure was probably them to ax it. But let’s not blow pass it was their response to Xbox 360’s “avatars”
6. Card readers, consoles than had sd card readers back than just think about that.
7. “Folding at home” you could offer your PS3’s power to contribute to cancer research.
8. 3D should be mentioned, Sony offered that. You had to have the right tv, glasses.
9. Install “themes” to your menu and btw XMB which has been repeated since, I got to say the XMB back than on PS3 should be praised, the folders, spacing, swinging between menus, themes.
10. The commercials had a huge attack line against Xbox.
11. The diehard fan base. Again this rampt up against the 360.
12. Those turn off 2006 interesting commercials.
13. The bundles, the hard drives variety, slim, super slim versions. It’s the one console that had very different bundles, and even physically multiple changes.

is-the-ps3-still-your-most-played-console-in-2024-i-have-a-v0-z6ehcu19gbac1.jpeg

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
The PS3, for me, taking into account that it was the successor to one of the best (if not the best console ever) which was the PS2 was a complete and utter disappointment not to mention a bad 500+ Eurodollars investment...

- By the time it released, most hardcore gamers were already used to the X360 which had already received some good, next-gen looking games.
- PSN might have been free but - how couldn't it ? It was AGES behind Xbox live which had proper party chat, easy to jump in/jump out of sessions etc.
- No rumble on the original SixAxis - we had to wait for the DS3.
- Exclusives were lacking compared to the PS2 generation and most of them were Western developed ones - mostly FPS since they were really trying hard to have their "Halo killer", sorry, but i didn't spend 500+ to play the Killzones and Resistances of that time.

Some great showstopping games came out eventually like God of War 3 (which i would argue that it still looks great to this day) and it was also the gen that gave us the Uncharted , TLOU franchises and also Demon's Souls (another game that spawned a mega-franchise so there's also that) but...while i did enjoy 'em, they weren't the "AAA system sellers®" that i was hoping for - not that my taste mattered at all to Soony® since these games sold a fuckton/by the truckload in the end.

Thing was, when i thought of Sony, i thought of games like Viewtiful Joe, the Resident Evils, Onimusha, the 3D Castlevanias (Lament of innocence was actually really cool), the Metal Gears, the Silent Hills (only the JPN produced ones), the F. Ueda games, Killer7, Glass Rose, Godhand, Haunting ground, Shadow of Rome etc, not some Westernized "me too" games (mostly), IMO, they really did try to have their own version of Halo and Gears of War in the form of Killzone/Resistance (FPS) and Uncharted (TPS) - Uncharted did morph to something completely different than a straight-up TPS in the end but still, you could clearly see what Sony was trying to do with the 1st game at the time.

The only real saving grace for me was MGS4 which...i don't know, i enjoyed it but it left me unsatisfied at the same time - too much loading, too cutscene-heavy/focused to the point were it became a detriment to the gameplay etc etc, played it once and that was it.

It may sound hyperbolic but the PS3 remains one of the worst consoles i've ever bought alongside the Nintendo Wii - no real games that interested me, the online felt archaic compared to Xbox live etc etc - it actually made me rethink things about Sony and whether i was no longer part of their intended demographic...

Fortunately, years later, they released the PS4 which brought me back and which - to me - was the "real" successor to the almighty PS2.

Bry0

The controller kinda sucks and I will die on that hill. Otherwise great console. Hen that bad boy.

Last edited:

cireza

Still own a PS3 for 3 fucking games I can't get anywhere else (2 of them being digital only of course). Can't wait for these games to get released on another console I own and get rid of it.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I’ve had my slim ps3 for many years. I still use it as a streaming box in my bedroom. It is also covered in baby powder that I put on my nuts after showering, because I haven’t cleaned it. Works like a charm though lol

Punished Miku

Gold Member
PS3 was definitely a mixed bag, but ultimately I was satisfied with it by the end. The blu-ray player carried a lot of the value, like it did on PS2. The system UI looked nice, but was slow and cumbersome and had issues at times. The main thing that always made it fun to own was the weird games they took a chance on like Echochrome, Tokyo Jungle, Folklore, Puppeteer and more. And their transformation of PS+ was huge in the 2nd half of the PS3 gen. MS had just raised the price of Live, and I think right after that, Sony countered with the start of free monthly games on PS+, which was the first time that was a thing.

They fought the console war with weird games and value (not counting the horrendous pricing at the start, which made me skip it for years).

I miss my original PS3. I appreciate it was a marmite design, but it really looked and felt like a premium product to me. I had a blast playing GTA4 and Episodes from Liberty City. I unfortunately killed my Blu-ray disc drive watching the Band of Brothers series and the replacement was a revised model. ☹️

Top Bottom