• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Killzone 3 (PS3)

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
81TR7wS-YPL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

How right is this game? It’s a little puzzling that Killzone isn’t around today and that Sony parted ways with it. Killzone 3 still operates better than 90% of shooters today and when I say operating I’m talking about the gunplay, the weapon feels, things like loadouts.

maxresdefault.jpg

God bless Killzone 2 and its brown colors, greys throughout but Killzone 3’s art direction is much better and they seriously nailed the color palettes.

2gujokl.jpg

The script for the game isn’t winning an Emmy but nobody is getting fired either over it, it’s standard military, space shooter and if those who have followed Killzone for years you have a new Helghan leader.

images

There’s 9 chapters, I respect the length.

If we travel back to 2011 let’s look at the shooters released that year:

IMG-3608.png

IMG-3607.png

Battlefield and call of duty went on to win the awards.

Maybe I’m defending Killzone 3 here but I just remember the push back years ago and I’m not seeing it.

This game and franchise feels legendary and I’d like to see Sony revisit it.

IT HAS BEEN 10 YEARS SINCE KILLZONE DIED – WHAT’S NEXT?

What does GAF think of this particular Killzone game?

Sushi_Combo

I loved the melee kill animations in this game! Sony does not show any love to a lot of these franchises anymore.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
My cousin bought it and I remember thinking the graphics were amazing at the time. Especially in that pre-release trailer

CamHostage

People slag or dismiss Killzone 3 for some reason, but I remember having a blast with it. (And that's after having taken fallen asleep constantly trying to play Killzone 1 and then being frustratingly turned off by Killzone Shadowfall... i never owned Killzone 2, but I think my favorites will still be Killzone Liberation and Mercenary even if i did finally get around to 2, i genuinely love both of those games.) It was fast and fun and colorful yet heavy and tense.

This game is why I bought this, one of my favorite video game accessories

s-l1200.webp

That thing and the 3D were both "gimmicks" that made me have so much fun with Killzone 3. I didn't take it so seriously since I was playing it with all the toys active (that's one of the reasons I didn't get Killzone 2, that so many people considered it "realistic" and sort of "important", and I just wanted to shoot cool guns.

And as silly as most people would consider it to be to use a light bulb motion controller to play a FPS, I actually found SharpShooter to be a fun and successful way to play a shooter.

Last edited:

Outlier

I remember playing it, but NOT being as impressed with it as I was with Kz2.
Kz3 was TECHNICALLY better in every way, but it just felt off. Beat it only once, got demolished online right away, then never played it again.

violence

I got my PS3 hooked up again. This was one of the games I loaded a super old save on during some random spot in the game and managed to play till completion. I was pretty blown away by the finale. I recommend, especially if you have a good Soundsystem.

Last edited:
It was probably the best Killzone for me, but that year was stacked with some good stuff like BF3, Bulletstorm, Resistance 3, Homefront.

Just BF3 alone I had around 800 hours. I loved that the most. Now BF is just sad, 5 and 2042 are a far cry of BF's glory days.

I really liked KZ2 and KZ3. I played quite a lot of the MP in these too.

I'd love for them to put all the maps together into a bundled game and just have KZ multiplayer exist.

Didn't put as much time into this as KZ2 but still an excellent game. Should really dig out my PS3 and give them another play.

Kind of miss the PS3 era of Sony when they had a ton of unique MP games. KZ, Resistance, Motorstorm, MAG, Twisted Metal, Warhawk etc.

Gamerguy84

Really enjoyed the whole series. Played them all including liberation on PSP. You can play liberation on PS5 with a premium sub, which I thought was cool.

Like 3, loved 2 and thr weighted guns and loved Shadow Falls PS4 multiplayer. Story was weird though.

Always laughed at the series though because the Helghast really looked like WW2 Germans.

Good times though.

Business

It was quite good but I could’t get over how hard they shit the bed with the story, actually the ending of 2 was already bad. I liked the snow section, probably they tried too hard to break from the gray look of KZ2 feedback they must have gotten, for example the alien jungle look never clicked for me. Very solid tho, would totally sign up for a proper remake.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Game was okay, looked nice in some parts. I even played it with 3D glasses which was shit lol. KZ2>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Top Bottom