• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Killzone 2 (2009) via PS3 “Super Slim”

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
3133267773_1cc10316c6.jpg

I just played the craziest FPS ever.

Let’s start by saying Killzone was once upon a time apart of SONY’s game plan. This game is seriously impressive, the way the lighting hits, the different color palettes. People forget Killzone 2 does have colors, and lighting, I like the browns and greys though but the graphics and colors are so underrated.

images

The script for the game is you play as a dude soldier who wouldn’t win an Emmy but you get great gunplay, solid controls, button layout, (3 boxes to check if you’re an AAA fps) and are invading an alien world (Helghan).

7 hours long (10 chapters) is good, short games matter and I respect them more today.

Tharsis Refinery

Going back try to remember the shooters in 2009, gears of war, halo, battlefield, call of duty, so it means something to be apart of that group on top of the expectations.

IMG-3038.jpg

Crushed the reviews.

Killzone2_b08_124.jpg

Taken from the mission “the cruiser” a very good chapter.

Killzone 2 is a good game and Sony eventually screwed up their shooter security blanket, when playing the game it really felt legendary. The controls feel physical, you play with a sense of urgency because enemies are zoning in on you, as much as people have laughed at killzone 2, it’s certainly a game for its time.

Be honest GAF what do you think of Killzone 2? The multiplayer servers are now shut down, its flaws are the controls and graphics which I will say are its best features.

Sushi_Combo

It was one of the reasons I picked up a Ps3. I miss Killzone. Multiplayer provided endless hours of entertainment. SP was also really good, OST is top tier.

SilentUser

Great title, should be remastered (while making it hybrid) along with other titles like MotorStorm and Resistance. PS3 era had some of my favorite Sony games ever!

Played it for the first time 2 years ago since I didn't have a PS3 back when it originally released, and Sony never bothered remastering it for the PS4... Really enjoyed my time with it, although that last mission was a pain in the butt on sub 30 fps and "heavy/tank" controls. :p

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I have feelings about this game.... I really value the talent of the people and their dedication to giving the best of this video game..... But it is a game that no matter how much I want to like it... It bores me a lot.

Schachtier

Neo Member
Loved the PS3 Killzone Games. They felt unique. 2 had great Singleplayer, 3 better MP.. Bought a used PS3 recently just to replay both and MGS4. Miss the Times when games were not the same all over the map.

Played it for the first time 2 years ago since I didn't have a PS3 back when it originally released, and Sony never bothered remastering it for the PS4... Really enjoyed my time with it, although that last mission was a pain in the butt on sub 30 fps and "heavy/tank" controls. :p
That how games ran in 7th gen

Uncharted Drake Fortune on PS3 has screen tearing at sub-30fps

simpatico

I really miss PS3 era Sony software. The hardware had trouble at the beginning, but the software output is how they got the reputation they enjoy today. Still coasting off this era's creativity and ambition. KZ2, GOW3, Resistance, Warhawk, Uncharted 2, TLOU1, Demon's Souls, MAG, I mean sheesh. Been sliding ever since. Doesn't get talked about much since MS Games is actually running down the hill rather than sliding.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
KZ2 was very good.
KZ3 had probably the best graphics on PS3 , but in terms of gameplay was the shit, absolutely disappointment. A cutscene every 5 minutes litterally, or 3 if you're fast enough. The worst in a series I loved.

RagnarokIV

Yes yours is a twat post

It was a question.

Launch PS3 is prone to failure.
-NEC Tokin capacitors fail
-RSX overheat
-Cell overheat
-PSU overheat

Last Of Us and Killzone 2 push the launch 90nm to the limits. They are the biggest system killers.

It needs a total delid on the 2 chips, capacitor replacement and additional care.

My mate has a launch 360 that hasen't died yet, but it will. Same with PLAYSTATION 3 - YLOD is inevitable. You're lucky. It WILL fail. I can hook you up and get you sorted if you really care for the system. I made some custom tools for the delid.

I repaird them for a living. I have 5 'George Foreman' launch systems that I use regular and maintain.

Seriously, treasure it because otherwise it will die, and they are very finite. It's the greatest console ever made - PlayStation, PS2 and PLAYSTATION 3 libraries. What more could you want!

Let me know if you need any help, it's good to see someone as passionate about that big beast as I am!

craig fairbrass pat tate GIF by Signaturee Entertainment

Last edited:

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
It was one of the reasons I picked up a Ps3. I miss Killzone. Multiplayer provided endless hours of entertainment. SP was also really good, OST is top tier.
I really wonder what Sony's plan is not releasing the Killzone or Resistance games on PS+ Premium. The only thing I can think of is that they don't want to steal the thunder from potential remasters.

Virex

Banned
Don't start mouthing off mate. It was a question.

-RSX overheat
-Cell overheat
-PSU overheat

Last Of Us and Killzone 2 push the launch 90nm to the limits. They are the biggest system killers.

It needs a total delid on the 2 chips, capacitor replacement and additional care.

My mate has a launch 360 that hasen't died yet, but it will. Same with PLAYSTATION 3 - YLOD is inevitable. You're lucky. It WILL fail. I can hook you up and get you sorted if you really care for the system. I made some custom tools for the delid.

I repaird them for a living. I have 5 'George Foreman' launch systems that I use regular and maintain.

Seriously, treasure it because otherwise it will die, and they are very finite. It's the greatest console ever made - PlayStation, PS2 and PLAYSTATION 3 libraries. What more could you want!

Let me know if you need any help, it's good to see someone as passionate about that big beast as I am!

My launch PS3 has new thermal paste and a lot of TLC to keep her running in top shape. I did buy a PS3 slim as well in case it dies, but so far so good after all these years. I still remember getting my PS3 the day after launch, it was such an amazing feeling. My first console I bought with my own money. My phat launch PS2 is still working like a champ but I most use the slim PS2 I have. I can probably use my PS3 for BC but I keep it for PS3 games only.

I'm still collecting for PS3 as well because there are so many awesome games for it. Sure the PS1 and 2 has some of the best game libraries but the PS3 has some really great games . Recently finished and got the platinum for Lost Dimension. I had it since release and only played it now and it was a really fun game.

simpatico

It was a question.

-RSX overheat
-Cell overheat
-PSU overheat

How much are the OG PS3's going for these days? You make a good point.

angrod14

Did you play it digital or bought the blu-ray?

I didn't like the game. It looked good at the time but felt too heavy to me, too clunky and difficult. It just wasn't fun. But I generally don't like FPS so...

RagnarokIV

How much are the OG PS3's going for these days? You make a good point.
Depends... eBay will be marked up a lot.

My advice, hit up local ads (facebook market place, freeads, craigslist etc.) usually it'll be listed stupidly like "ps3 for sale with games" and there will be a launch model among listings for slims and downgraded fats.
You can also search for spares and repairs. I've had loads that are 'broken' but it's just the HDD failed - 10 second fix. Then I do the heavy work on them to future proof.

If you get a broken one, let me know. I can help you.

simpatico

Depends... eBay will be marked up a lot.

My advice, hit up local ads (facebook market place, freeads, craigslist etc.) usually it'll be listed stupidly like "ps3 for sale with games" and there will be a launch model among listings for slims and downgraded fats.
You can also search for spares and repairs. I've had loads that are 'broken' but it's just the HDD failed - 10 second fix. Then I do the heavy work on them to future proof.

If you get a broken one, let me know. I can help you.
I solder for a living, but I might still need direction on disassembly and which parts to replace. What's a ballpark range for fatty? I'd happily give $200 in great condition I think.

RagnarokIV

My launch PS3 has new thermal paste and a lot of TLC to keep her running in top shape. I did buy a PS3 slim as well in case it dies, but so far so good after all these years. I still remember getting my PS3 the day after launch, it was such an amazing feeling. My first console I bought with my own money. My phat launch PS2 is still working like a champ but I most use the slim PS2 I have. I can probably use my PS3 for BC but I keep it for PS3 games only.

I'm still collecting for PS3 as well because there are so many awesome games for it. Sure the PS1 and 2 has some of the best game libraries but the PS3 has some really great games . Recently finished and got the platinum for Lost Dimension. I had it since release and only played it now and it was a really fun game.
You got custom fan curve etc? Sorry if I seemed like an orrible kunt at first, just really pissed off lately with kunt replies on various forums.
Don't forget to get the Ratchet games on PS3... Price has been increasing on those! I'm in Europe so I can get Quest For Booty and forward it on to you if it's too expensive. I know my mates from the US, when I was living there, get stung with QFB.

RagnarokIV

I solder for a living, but I might still need direction on disassembly and which parts to replace. What's a ballpark range for fatty? I'd happily give $200 in great condition I think.
$200 - $250 when I bought my US one a while back.

On OFW they are region locked for back compat but jailbreak will make them region free for full hardware back compat.

Solder is a good skill. Delid is dangerous, because one scratch and the whole board is gone. RSX you can delid easy with a butter knife but the CELL needs a painters knife with time and patienc or a custom tool.

Replace the PSU and try and get a better fan from a JP model. I can link you up etc. with PM because we don't want certain sites and listings to pump up their prices!

3133267773_1cc10316c6.jpg

I just played the craziest FPS ever.

Let’s start by saying Killzone was once upon a time apart of SONY’s game plan. This game is seriously impressive, the way the lighting hits, the different color palettes. People forget Killzone 2 does have colors, and lighting, I like the browns and greys though but the graphics and colors are so underrated.

images

The script for the game is you play as a dude soldier who wouldn’t win an Emmy but you get great gunplay, solid controls, button layout, (3 boxes to check if you’re an AAA fps) and are invading an alien world (Helghan).

7 hours long (10 chapters) is good, short games matter and I respect them more today.

Tharsis Refinery

Going back try to remember the shooters in 2009, gears of war, halo, battlefield, call of duty, so it means something to be apart of that group on top of the expectations.

IMG-3038.jpg

Crushed the reviews.

Killzone2_b08_124.jpg

Taken from the mission “the cruiser” a very good chapter.

Killzone 2 is a good game and Sony eventually screwed up their shooter security blanket, when playing the game it really felt legendary. The controls feel physical, you play with a sense of urgency because enemies are zoning in on you, as much as people have laughed at killzone 2, it’s certainly a game for its time.

Be honest GAF what do you think of Killzone 2? The multiplayer servers are now shut down, its flaws are the controls and graphics which I will say are its best features.

The most fake trailer of all time

Virex

Banned
You got custom fan curve etc? Sorry if I seemed like an orrible kunt at first, just really pissed off lately with kunt replies on various forums.
Don't forget to get the Ratchet games on PS3... Price has been increasing on those! I'm in Europe so I can get Quest For Booty and forward it on to you if it's too expensive. I know my mates from the US, when I was living there, get stung with QFB.
Got all the Ratchet games, I was blown away the first time I played Tools Of Destruction, it looked so good. And Nexus also pushed the PS3 to the max. Game had some really good texture work. I plan on replaying Folklore again soon. I loved the game so much. I'm in South Africa, but we also fall under PAL region so we get everything you guys get in Europe.

And no worries about your reply. I also come across as an asshole with my replies sometime without it being my intention.

Last edited:

T-0800

I don't think I've ever played a game that captured the feeling of weather (poorly worded sorry) than this game. It felt hostile and you didn't have to look at the sky to see it.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I don't think I've ever played a game that captured the feeling of weather (poorly worded sorry) than this game. It felt hostile and you didn't have to look at the sky to see it.
That's an excellent way to put it, it greatly helped the "atmosphere" (pun intended) of the game.

Yoboman

Killzone 2 stumbled upon a secret sauce with its weighty gameplay, gritty visual style and great multiplayer that it didn't find again.

I always got the feeling based on the following Killzone titles that Guerrilla never quite understood why it worked either

Sleepwalker

It was a question.

-RSX overheat
-Cell overheat
-PSU overheat

Just picked up this beauty up earlier this morning

07876ffb1155501fa03502da572f8e1e.png

Paid $90 on facebook marketplace, came with 2 controllers (1 is new somehow) and all cables.

CECH-A01 model, never been opened. Seller said it works, haven't tested yet (was willing to roll the dice even if it was broken at $90).

I want to give it the longest life possible, I have some experience cleaning and repairing consoles but no soldering experience (I'm looking to learn but a bc ps3 is not where ill start lol). What can I do to give this big boy the longest life possible? Appreciate any help :)

I'm looking into installing webman so I can monitor temps and ramp up the fans continously.

Last edited:

Bry0

It was a question.

-RSX overheat
-Cell overheat
-PSU overheat

I’ve understood the issue to be bad underfill like the 360 and 8600m MacBooks of the era. Isn’t the only real fix swapping in a newer gpu?

Sleepwalker

I’ve understood the issue to be bad underfill like the 360 and 8600m MacBooks of the era. Isn’t the only real fix swapping in a newer gpu?

As far as the research ive done, the bullet proof way of future proofing these beauties is by frankensteining them, taking a GPU from a newer PS3 that's not 90nm so either 65nm or 44nm (iirc) which would come from slim or super slim ps3.

TheZink

Just picked up this beauty up earlier this morning

07876ffb1155501fa03502da572f8e1e.png

Paid $90 on facebook marketplace, came with 2 controllers (1 is new somehow) and all cables.

CECH-A01 model, never been opened. Seller said it works, haven't tested yet (was willing to roll the dice even if it was broken at $90).

I want to give it the longest life possible, I have some experience cleaning and repairing consoles but no soldering experience (I'm looking to learn but a bc ps3 is not where ill start lol). What can I do to give this big boy the longest life possible? Appreciate any help :)

I'm looking into installing webman so I can monitor temps and ramp up the fans continously.
Man I miss my PS3 fat. So many memories.

Kerotan

Bought this at launch I loved the campaign but played the shit out of online and got every single online trophy. Anyone who played it knows that was impressive. I never platinumed it though because beating it on hard was notorious. Only this summer I went back to my ps3 and finished it off. What a game.

Enjoyed killzone liberation which they added to premium recently so only the original killzone left now to play.

Top Bottom