• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Call of Duty: World at War (PS3)

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
51-XBolmJdL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Had the honor to play this gem of a game, you may have noticed I am going back and playing all these great COD campaigns. I like the way treyarch trimmed up WW2 and limited it to a little bit of Japanese warfare, and Russian. I like the gameplay matching COD4’s. I like the simple but lot of detail areas, it matches perfectly with what was going on during the 1940s.

Alright guys rant time. Call of duty is at the point where new fans are falling in love with it, it’s the shooter choice, MW3 is selling millions but right away where I separate from them is the flat, simple menus, tight crisp multiple maps, very nice music and sound effects. I don’t know why cod introduced player cards, cosmetics now you got clan wars, leagues some people like it some hate it. My issue is tying all the recent cod games under one hood,. It doesn’t feel right I wish you could adjust that.

going off alex jones GIF

COD’s competition at the time was killzone 2, mgo, resistance, halo 3, gears 2, and many more so you have to respect them going historical here which was nice.

Nice sounds.

Love the black cat mission, didn’t seem forced like a lot of the vehicle missions today.

The cutscenes give it a good historical experience, the overall story is straight forward. You still have a population base on these servers, it’s easy to see why the gameplay is so addicting, for me I was prestige 3, 4 back in the day, what you’re getting (zombies, campaign and multiplayer) is real sweet. Definitely enjoyed this one.

What did GAF think of world at war? If you have played it it is cheap.

Shakka43

Back then I only played COD games for their stories(now I don't play them at all) and I really loved this one. Had a hell of a time getting the Platinum trophy on my brother's account, Heart of the Reich on Veteran was a nightmare, with a million granades being thrown at you from all sides. Tried to get the trophies on my own account years later but gave up as the online trophies were pretty hard to get without boosting.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
CoD4 was the better game tbh. Tanks were lame, dogs were annoying, and the MP40 was a laser that makes modern cod look like it has recoil. I bought this at Best Buy with Soul Calibur IV in college and remember both as 6/10 affairs. The best part of WaW is the Black Cats mission in the op.

Pelao

I like to replay it for some of the specific battles it covers. It's a decent game. It's not amazing, but it's still one of my favorite CODs.

Kerotan

I had the pleasure of platinuming this and killzone 2 last year. The veteran playthrough was insane.

Great game and there's a good reason Treyarc copied infinity wards cod4 gameplay. Because it was so much better than anything they could come up with themselves.

Fantastic game though. Loved the music and the ending.

manzo

Got the 1000/1000 gamerscore for this back in the day if I remember correctly. The veteran campaign was fucking insane and infuriating. Like grenades galore with pinpoint accuracy.

BlueLyria

Great game, veteran was tough because of the infinite grenade spam though. I'd love a remake/remaster, one of my favorite CoDs ever, specially because of CoOp campaign

Kupfer

I like it for being the most gritty CoD with actual gore. Using the flamethrower or visiting a battlefield after it was attacked by napalm feels nasty.

TLjTXt8.png

Replayed it like two years ago on the PS3 as well, but didn't finish it.
From todays standarts the gameplayloop is boring, but the different locations bring some variety.
It actually feels like a decent war game rather than like a globe-trotting comic book and comes close to its' roots which started this franchise.

Last edited:
Top Bottom