• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reasons Why Sony returning to real handheld is Dumb

1. Two separate markets - Nintendo had to cannibalize its own console department after Wii U into it's handheld. Not to say Sony would do the same, But having two markets would leads to two consumer audience. Sony has laser focus it's core audience: a niche, high end, cinematic single player consumer.
  2. They killed off all their handheld based studios - no mod nation racer no, sack boy, no patapon. You need these smaller studio and IPs to fill in the release between bigger games.
  3. Sony would be "Sony" - "no Bluetooth? Here, buy these non WH-series, proprietary headphone. Need more storage? Buy our Vita Pro 3x the price"

Last edited:
They could release a handheld than run less demanding games of your library. Indies and BC games, let me buy PSN games and unlock achievements.
And it would get jailbroken / home brewed in the first year, and that being generous to the modding community.

Modder: we'll have the first firmware exploit on launch day

Indies and BC as your main source is worst than DOA.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

What trends did Sony chase?
VR is the big one.
Then there is GAAS which has ruined their output this gen
Then there is applying a ridiculous MCU-like mantra to their games, mimicking the intro even.
Destroyed their Japanese studios.
Cloud gaming.
Game Pass-like addition to PS Plus.
PS Plus itself basically ripping off Xbox Live
The trend of using inflation as an excuse to increase prices

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Sony destroyed all those bridges years ago. They bet big on VR instead and that thing is dead. Sony being trend chasing idiots is why they blew it regarding handhelds.
Is PSVR actually dead though?

VR is the big one.
Then there is applying a ridiculous MCU-like mantra to their games, mimicking the intro even.
Cloud gaming.

I think they first followed Motion controls with the six axis and the Move...following the success of the Wiimote. Microsoft did something similar with Kinect.
VR has kinda been in the ether for decades...it was gonna come eventually so I don't really count that.
What's MCU?
Destroying Japanese studios is a trend? Who are they copying, Godzilla?
Cloud Gaming...okay fair
Gamepass, PS Premium...fair, but to be honest, Gamepass is too good of a deal not to copy.
PS Plus...biting off Xbox Live? I mean...I guess
I thought Sony started the whole inflation price raising trend, no? Can't call that copying.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Sony would be "Sony" - "no Bluetooth?
I saw video of someone connecting Explores via Link to a Portal and it took about 2 seconds. It's gonna be great to have that kind of direct lossless connection. People are sleeping on it like they did the Portal but PlayStation is heading in a really cool direction with their audio and they have been since PS5 launch.
idgaf what you say i’d love another psp
PlayStationPortal :messenger_beaming:

Last time nintendo kicked their asses and the Vita was pirated way too soon, that's why it died and Sony ended up closing studios, I don't think they Will try again. PS VR has no competition in the console space, I believe that's why Sony is investing in that, it Will grow more popular by the time.

Robb

Gold Member
Yeah there’s no way they’ll go back, and I think the same holds for Nintendo. The best anyone can hope for is more stuff like the Portal or a Switch/hybrid scenario.

None of the hardware manufacturers is going to want to split their development on two entirely different platforms anymore.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
VR is the big one.
Cloud gaming.

Most of those items they were already doing in some form already. VR being one of them. Unless you not forget they had the move controllers over a decade ago. They ended up putting those controllers with psvr one.

They don't have a Game Pass competitor. They have a subscription service that they've had for over a decade. But it's not game pass.

And they bought Giakai many years ago when they saw it coming over 10 years ago. so I'm not sure how Sony is chasing cloud gaming.

The only thing I'll give you that they are chasing is games as a service. And that's mainly Jim Ryan who is obvious to me they are pushing him out the door early.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

1. Two separate markets - Nintendo had to cannibalize its own console department after Wii U into it's handheld. Not to say Sony would do the same, But having two markets would leads to two consumer audience. Sony has laser focus it's core audience: a niche, high end, cinematic single player consumer.
  2. They killed off all their handheld based studios - no mod nation racer no, sack boy, no patapon. You need these smaller studio and IPs to fill in the release between bigger games.
  3. Sony would be "Sony" - "no Bluetooth? Here, buy these non WH-series, proprietary headphone. Need more storage? Buy our Vita Pro 3x the price"

1. This doesn't apply any more. Since the handheld would be able to play PS5 games at a lower res and some toys turned off, no split. Every PS5 game would be on the handheld in reduced form.
2. No need to have dedicated handheld studios, takes an extra week or tow to port by some of the best teams in the world
3. Maybe, maybe not, they do an open concept for storage on the PS5 so that seems to be in the past. The bluetooth decision for the portal may have been more about latency/experience than a money grab, it wouldn't apply to the portable since it's not already fighting latency out of the box.

So basically, there has never been a better time for Sony to release a handheld. It would immedately be the most popular portable becuase it would immediately have a massive advantage in terms of software. They would take a huge bite out of Nintendo's pie.
Also zero reason why it couldn't dock like a switch.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

No shit.

Sony trying to compete with Nintendo in the handheld-market is pointless.

Right, because they don't have any great excusive games to compete, and it's hardware that moves hardware........oh wait...........

Killjoy-NL

Right, because they don't have any great excusive games to compete, and it's hardware that moves hardware........oh wait...........
Same was said about Xbox.

Nintendo has the handheld-market on lock.
Sony definitely can have a decent presence, depending on ones definition of 'decent', but Sony already attempted with PSP and Vita and ultimately abandoned the handheld-market.

Their best option would be to allow cloud-streaming on Portal.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
4. The Steam Deck and other PC handhelds have already fulfilled the need for a powerful handheld and it would be less effort for Sony to port their games to PC and get them portably by extension than it would be for them to create brand new IPs exclusively for portable (like Gravity Rush)

THE DUCK

Same was said about Xbox.

Nintendo has the handheld-market on lock.
Sony definitely can have a decent presence, depending on ones definition of 'decent', but Sony already attempted with PSP and Vita and ultimately abandoned the handheld-market.

Their best option would be to allow cloud-streaming on Portal.

Nobody said in the past 10 years that xbox had the same quality of software lineup as Sony.

Nintendo doesn't have a "lock" on anything, history has proven that time and time again.
Atari had the console market locked..... Nintendo had the console market locked.....
Sony had the console market locked......

Psp and Vita had huge issues with software (the biggest issue), pricing (memory cards), ergonomics, functionality, and none of that would apply. You can't just blanket say, oh Vita and psp failed so the next one would, everything has changed. Based on that Nintendo should have folded up the tents and quit consoles after the gamecube.

And cloud streaming is not a replacement for handheld gaming, at least not yet.

zedinen

Most of those items they were already doing in some form already. VR being one of them. Unless you not forget they had the move controllers over a decade ago. They ended up putting those controllers with psvr one.

They don't have a Game Pass competitor. They have a subscription service that they've had for over a decade. But it's not game pass.

And they bought Giakai many years ago when they saw it coming over 10 years ago. so I'm not sure how Sony is chasing cloud gaming.

The only thing I'll give you that they are chasing is games as a service. And that's mainly Jim Ryan who is obvious to me they are pushing him out the door early.

PS4 sold 13 million unit in Asia, while PS5 is on track to sell 25 million because GaaS and PC ports are helping a lot. It's obvious that Sony will double down on live-service games.

Totoki (Nov 9): "We remain intent on expanding our presence in live-service games over the mid to long term"

Jim Ryan will retire on his own terms because he is the most successful executive in the entire Sony group (He is still making strategic moves to improve their market position in Asia)

His branch (Sony Computer Entertainment Europe) accounts for nearly 50% of PS3 and PS4 global sales.

Most people believed that PS days in North America and Asia were numbered after Microsoft started its acquisition spree in 2018 and Nintendo success in Japan and China.

Jim Ryan was appointed as CEO of SIE. His mission was to increase sales in North America and Asia to PS2 levels, which he did.

He has made more profits than all his predecessors combined, and made sure that his successor will post record profits even if those live services games fail.

CEO Kenichiro Yoshida: " PS5 is on track to become SIE's more successful console yet. I'm immensely grateful to Jim"

Having said that, Yoshida and Totoki have been a complete disaster. They don't give a shit about PlayStation. It's a cash cow for ill-advised acquisitions and stock buyback programs.

Thanks to Yoshida and Totoki decisions, "Sony returning to real handheld is dumb".

PlayStation only accounts for 21% of long-live assets in entertainment. It's the most mind-blowing example of incompetence.

vZyL4vk.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/0VK2LLQ.jpeg

Xtib81

It wouldn't be dumb and it would sell like hot cakes. All they need to do is release a handheld capable of streaming your ps+ library anywhere, some internal storage and an Oled screen. Release that machine 2-3 years after you released your home console and that's it. They don't need dedicated studios, people want to play AAA games, so they don't need studios to develop games specifically for the handheld and the late release would have little impact on the home console sales.

Killjoy-NL

Nobody said in the past 10 years that xbox had the same quality of software lineup as Sony.

I wasn't talking about the past 10 years.
Xbox exists longer than that.
Nintendo doesn't have a "lock" on anything, history has proven that time and time again.
Atari had the console market locked..... Nintendo had the console market locked.....
Sony had the console market locked......

Psp and Vita had huge issues with software (the biggest issue), pricing (memory cards), ergonomics, functionality, and none of that would apply. You can't just blanket say, oh Vita and psp failed so the next one would, everything has changed. Based on that Nintendo should have folded up the tents and quit consoles after the gamecube.

And cloud streaming is not a replacement for handheld gaming, at least not yet.
I never said PSP and Vita failed.
I'm saying it probably isn't worthwhile. Stick to your strengths.

The only reason Switch is as successful, is because Nintendo combined their handheld demographic with their console demographic. It's a hybrid.

Wii U flopped, because Nintendo got lucky with the motion-controller fad and the Wii.
Nintendo and Sony both have their strengths and handheld isn't Sony's.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against a successor to Vita, I just don't think it's worth it.
Except maybe cloud-streaming for Portal, which I already mentioned. That would also make much more sense for Sony than releasing another handheld.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Portable gaming is the future.

Just look where Valve and Nintendo have focussed their efforts.

No one wants to be tethered to a desk or sofa for 5 hours watching Abby peg her boyfriend.

Sony should join the party.

THE DUCK

I wasn't talking about the past 10 years.
Xbox exists longer than that.

I never said PSP and Vita failed.
I'm saying it probably isn't worthwhile. Stick to your strengths.

The only reason Switch is as successful, is because Nintendo combined their handheld demographic with their console demographic. It's a hybrid.

Wii U flopped, because Nintendo got lucky with the motion-controller fad and the Wii.
Nintendo and Sony both have their strengths and handheld isn't Sony's.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against a successor to Vita, I just don't think it's worth it.
Except maybe cloud-streaming for Portal, which I already mentioned. That would also make much more sense for Sony than releasing another handheld.

What makes you think any Sony handheld wouldn't be a hybrid? It's all but guaranteed.
The console and hybrid areas will blend, handheld hybrid will only grow over time. 30 years from now, all consoles will be hybrid.

Put it to you this way, Sony seems to think a pro console is easy and necessary, but why not the portable instead? Either will take some resources and attention.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Portable gaming is the future.

Just look where Valve and Nintendo have focussed their efforts.

No one wants to be tethered to a desk or sofa for 5 hours watching Abby peg her boyfriend.

Sony should join the party.
Nobody minds being tethered to a sofa watching Abby have sex. Nobody just wants to see Abby have sex.

Portable gaming will get better and it will get bigger. But the future? Not for a while, until it can adopt everything good that home systems have going for them.

Killjoy-NL

What makes you think any Sony handheld wouldn't be a hybrid? It's all but guaranteed.
The console and hybrid areas will blend, handheld hybrid will only grow over time. 30 years from now, all consoles will be hybrid.

Put it to you this way, Sony seems to think a pro console is easy and necessary, but why not the portable instead? Either will take some resources and attention.
Sony already stated (pre-PS5) release that Pro-consoles aren't necessarily standard going forward.
PS4 Pro was needed for extra performance for PSVR.

As for the rest, it's all speculation. I'm not even against another Playstation handheld.

Just saying cloud-streaming on Portal would be the most logical option and that Nintendo dominates the handheld-market.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Nobody minds being tethered to a sofa watching Abby have sex. Nobody just wants to see Abby have sex.

Portable gaming will get better and it will get bigger. But the future? Not for a while, until it can adopt everything good that home systems have going for them.
We’re already there mate. If a Deck can run things like Rift Apart and it’s not even the most powerful handheld on the market Sony would definitely be able to shift to handheld.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Focusing on vr over handheld was deffo a choice. I would imagine the numbers don't even come close to psvr vs psp or even vita?

THE DUCK

Sony already stated (pre-PS5) release that Pro-consoles aren't necessarily standard going forward.
PS4 Pro was needed for extra performance for PSVR.

As for the rest, it's all speculation. I'm not even against another Playstation handheld.

Just saying cloud-streaming on Portal would be the most logical option and that Nintendo dominates the handheld-market.

There are basically confirmed rumors that thr ps5 pro is well into development and releasing next fall.

Guess we will see what happens l, some of it might hinge on just how crippled (or not) hardware wise the next switch is. If a very strong system is released, it might make sony and ms take more pause. If it's weak sauce, one of them might dive in.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

There are basically confirmed rumors that thr ps5 pro is well into development and releasing next fall.

Guess we will see what happens l, some of it might hinge on just how crippled (or not) hardware wise the next switch is. If a very strong system is released, it might make sony and ms take more pause. If it's weak sauce, one of them might dive in.
I consider all rumors to be rumors until officially confirmed.

The Last Guardian was once rumored to be a game about a boy with a delta-flyer a la Aang (Avatar) taking place in a giant canyon.

For the rest, as I said, it's all speculation. You could be right.

xrnzaaas

Sony trying out with a new handheld in my opinion would actually be harder for them than before. They would have to compete with current handheld gaming giants like Switch or Steam Deck right off the bat. Sure they could port all of their big PS4 games to the new device, but I don't think that would be enough to turn it into a big success.

Designing something like Portal was an easier choice. They can sell it as a flashy toy without spending a ton of money on development or ensuring it's powerful enough inside.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

Sony trying out with a new handheld in my opinion would actually be harder for them than before. They would have to compete with current handheld gaming giants like Switch or Steam Deck right off the bat. Sure they could port all of their big PS4 games to the new device, but I don't think that would be enough to turn it into a big success.

Designing something like Portal was an easier choice. They can sell it as a flashy toy without spending a ton of money on development or ensuring it's powerful enough inside.

Nintendo is one thing, but the Steam Deck is not consequential, they have only sold like 4 million decks in 2 years. That's nothing to sony.

Your right in that ps4 games would not be enough, but I would expect it to have day and date ps5 games.

cireza

I would expect it to have day and date ps5 games.
So the exact same strategy of putting home console games on handheld. Worked quite well with the Vita.

They failed precisely because this is what they were doing. Then again, Sony never understood the handheld market anyway. The PSP eventually became a success only because third parties actually understood what people wanted to play on it.

And they would push another trash tier proprietary format, because of course.

Last edited:
Top Bottom