• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmmm, with same setting as your bottom i only get low 50s fps. How is your 5770 2gb. DO they even make those?

edit: just bumped my gpu clock a little and now i got 67 fps. nice, lol

fuzzyreactor said:
edit: just bumped my gpu clock a little and now i got 67 fps. nice, lol

HA! Nice. Yeah, I am wrong again. It's 1GB. I read it wrong... Sorry!

That said, I Benchmarked Dirt 3 with default/optimal settings:

Average FPS: 56
Minimum FPS: 41

7YrxGl.jpg

Pretty good, IMO! Better than consoles lol.

Help guys. For some reason stuff appears green in Bulletstorm. Like the shadows, and some of the blood shows up green. Is this just the video filter the game uses? I didn't see a gamma option or anything in-game, so i don't know how to turn it down.

pirata

So, I reformatted and reinstalled Windows and stuff. I downloaded a game off Steam to try and see if it would work (Trine, which I chose because it has relatively advanced graphics and a relatively low file size), and it worked fine (and looked way better than it did on my laptop). My internet it working fine as well (earlier today, I tried to read this thread on my PC, and the front page wouldn't even load without becoming unresponsive). I then tried Minecraft (which had also freaked out when I tried to run it before reinstalling Windows), and it runs great.

So, basically, so far, so good. I'm not especially superstitious, but if everyone could find a piece of wood to knock on for me, it would be deeply appreciated. I hope this was all some "random freak-out" like someone said a while back.

hxcmuziq

Banned
I'm building my rig next week when all the parts come in. What's the difference between

8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill Ripjaws Series DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory

and

8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory

??

I already ordered the 1333 today. The 1600 are $5 more and come with a flash drive. Should I cancel and rebuy?

So far I have the i5 2500K and the ASRock from the OP and a Antec 750w Gaming PSU.

hxcmuziq said:
I'm building my rig next week when all the parts come in. What's the difference between

8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill Ripjaws Series DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory

and

8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory

??

I already ordered the 1333 today. The 1600 are $5 more and come with a flash drive. Should I cancel and rebuy?

So far I have the i5 2500K and the ASRock from the OP and a Antec 750w Gaming PSU.

For 5 bucks cancel and re-buy. It's going to be a little faster once you OC your i5.

So my motherboard has four DIMM slots, in alternating colors (black, blue, black, blue). The manual indicates to install two in the same color in order to get dual channel. The problem is, the farthest blue one runs into my Hyper 212+ fan. I could take he heatsink off of the RAM, but I would rather put the RAM in the black slots. Does it matter which ones you stick them in, so long as they correspond correctly?

SenseiJinx said:
So my motherboard has four DIMM slots, in alternating colors (black, blue, black, blue). The manual indicates to install two in the same color in order to get dual channel. The problem is, the farthest blue one runs into my Hyper 212+ fan. I could take he heatsink off of the RAM, but I would rather put the RAM in the black slots. Does it matter which ones you stick them in, so long as they correspond correctly?

I had this same problem. When I get my MOBO back im going to run my DDR3 on the 2nd and Fourth slots.

ss_lemonade

iSurvivedTheOutage said:
I had this same problem. When I get my MOBO back im going to run my DDR3 on the 2nd and Fourth slots.
I have a p67 board and had the same problem as well with my v6gt where it was covering the 1st ram slot. It was recommended that on initial startup/OS install, I run at least a stick of ram on the 1st slot. Don't know if that was really needed but I just followed and removed one of the fans from the v6 to get one of my ripjaws in there. After I was done installing windows, I moved my ram sticks to slots 2 and 4 and haven't had any problems yet.

LordCanti

hxcmuziq said:
Almost done with my purchases. Just trying to save every penny to invest in a better monitor.

is THIS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127564

the same

as THIS http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004SAO0Z4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Looks the same, I just want to double check. Any reason not to buy from Circuit City and save like $40?

I'm confused; Why would you be saving $40?

It's $341 shipped through circuit city, and $355 through newegg. Actually buying from Amazon (not circuit city through Amazon) is $350, or $9 more than circuit city (with much better customer service, I'd assume, should you need it).

If you'd be saving $40 (circuit city credit or something?) then they do appear to be the same product. I didn't even know CircuitCity still existed though...

foogles

hxcmuziq said:
Almost done with my purchases. Just trying to save every penny to invest in a better monitor.

is THIS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127564

the same

as THIS http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004SAO0Z4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Looks the same, I just want to double check. Any reason not to buy from Circuit City and save like $40?
The Amazon page doesn't mention the memory speed, but since the GPU speed is the same, that's a really good indicator that they're identical.

You won't get charged tax, will you? I see the Amazon $335 price goes through Circuit City, which is still in business in some states...

foogles

SenseiJinx said:
Go with the black slots. Should work in dual channel just fine.

hxcmuziq

Banned
LordCanti said:
I'm confused; Why would you be saving $40?

It's $341 shipped through circuit city, and $355 through newegg. Actually buying from Amazon (not circuit city through Amazon) is $350, or $9 more than circuit city (with much better customer service, I'd assume, should you need it).

If you'd be saving $40 (circuit city credit or something?) then they do appear to be the same product. I didn't even know CircuitCity still existed though...

I'd be saving ~$40 over Newegg because of CA tax (@7.75) and shipping. I guess I'll just pay the $9 more and get it through Amazon, no tax or shipping and great return policy. Ordering now.

georaldc said:
I have a p67 board and had the same problem as well with my v6gt where it was covering the 1st ram slot. It was recommended that on initial startup/OS install, I run at least a stick of ram on the 1st slot. Don't know if that was really needed but I just followed and removed one of the fans from the v6 to get one of my ripjaws in there. After I was done installing windows, I moved my ram sticks to slots 2 and 4 and haven't had any problems yet.

on my first POST Ill make sure to do that, thanks.

All right, GAF, I need your help. I can't get my system to POST. I've got basically the bare minimum installed just to see if I can get it running.

Video card is installed, cpu, cpu cooler, mobo and RAM are installed in the case, and I've got the power switch plugged in. When I power it on, the fans start spinning but I don't get a POST.

I know it's not the video card: I tried this same video card on my old build, and it POSTed fine. Things seem to be running. What am I missing? What part would I need to look into? The fact that things turn on, and the GPU will POST on another system has me scratching my head. I've tried moving RAM around, using just one stick, etc. Nothing seems to be working.

Would there be any reason why EVERYTHING would need to be plugged in first? I wouldn't think, for example, that the LED and reset buttons and everything would need t be plugged in for it to work.

Motherboard issue? But if it was a motherboard problem, wouldn't the GPU not power on at all?

LordCanti

iSurvivedTheOutage said:
why wouldnt you just buy the 324 dollar twin frozr 3 from Amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XVMAKU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

MUCH BETTER DEAL. READ THIS WHILE YOU CAN STILL CANCEL, hxcmuziq

SenseiJinx said:
All right, GAF, I need your help. I can't get my system to POST. I've got basically the bare minimum installed just to see if I can get it running.

Video card is installed, cpu, cpu cooler, mobo and RAM are installed in the case, and I've got the power switch plugged in. When I power it on, the fans start spinning but I don't get a POST.

I know it's not the video card: I tried this same video card on my old build, and it POSTed fine. Things seem to be running. What am I missing? What part would I need to look into? The fact that things turn on, and the GPU will POST on another system has me scratching my head. I've tried moving RAM around, using just one stick, etc. Nothing seems to be working.

Would there be any reason why EVERYTHING would need to be plugged in first? I wouldn't think, for example, that the LED and reset buttons and everything would need t be plugged in for it to work.

Motherboard issue? But if it was a motherboard problem, wouldn't the GPU not power on at all?

What happens exactly when you push the power button on your computer? Any diagnostic beeps? Diagnostic LED's on the mobo?

How long does it stay powered on before shutting itself down?

LordCanti said:
What happens exactly when you push the power button on your computer? Any diagnostic beeps? Diagnostic LED's on the mobo?

How long does it stay powered on before shutting itself down?

There's no beeps, but there's a blue LED at the top of the mobo that flashes. (The motherboard is an MSI P67A-G45). It'll flash about once every two seconds. The fans on the CPU and GPU start spinning -- they spin up, and then spin down a bit. Once they start spinning back up again, the blue light flashes again.

As far as I know, it doesn't shut itself down, although I haven't left it on for long.

LordCanti

SenseiJinx said:
There's no beeps, but there's a blue LED at the top of the mobo that flashes. (The motherboard is an MSI P67A-G45). It'll flash about once every two seconds. The fans on the CPU and GPU start spinning -- they spin up, and then spin down a bit. Once they start spinning back up again, the blue light flashes again.

As far as I know, it doesn't shut itself down, although I haven't left it on for long.

It doesn't shut itself down? ...Then you're basing the idea that it doesn't post, on not receiving any video out of the graphics card?

Try re-seating it if that is the case. Did you plug the 6 or 8 pin PCI-E power cables into the card?

This may sound demeaning, but: Is the video card plugged into the monitor? Is the monitor plugged in?

LordCanti said:
It doesn't shut itself down? ...Then you're basing the idea that it doesn't post, on not receiving any video out of the graphics card?

Try re-seating it if that is the case. Did you plug the 6 or 8 pin PCI-E power cables into the card?

Can you get into the bios?

I can't get into the BIOS, and receive no video output at all. It's a 6-pin PCI-E card. I've reseated it a couple of times, and tried the second PCI-E slot, but no go. I put that card into my old system, and it powers on and outputs video fine. I also tried putting my old video card in this machine, and I'm having the same issue, where there's no video output.

I must be missing something...are you fairly certain it must be something with just the GPU connection if things are powering on, and not shutting themselves down?

EDIT:

This may sound demeaning, but: Is the video card plugged into the monitor? Is the monitor plugged in?

Yeah, the video card is definitely plugged in and I've tried both outputs. And the monitor is plugged in, it's got the standby LED on.

Thanks for your help.

LordCanti

SenseiJinx said:
I can't get into the BIOS, and receive no video output at all. It's a 6-pin PCI-E card. I've reseated it a couple of times, and tried the second PCI-E slot, but no go. I put that card into my old system, and it powers on and outputs video fine. I also tried putting my old video card in this machine, and I'm having the same issue, where there's no video output.

I must be missing something...are you fairly certain it must be something with just the GPU connection if things are powering on, and not shutting themselves down?

EDIT:

Yeah, the video card is definitely plugged in and I've tried both outputs. And the monitor is plugged in, it's got the standby LED on.

Thanks for your help.

Does your manual say anything about the LED's you're getting on the mobo?

MisterNoisy

Something I learned today: The ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 is not compatible with the Cooler Master V6/V6GT - the motherboard's heatsinks are too damned tall.

Needless to say, I was not happy about this.

LordCanti said:
Does your manual say anything about the LED's you're getting on the mobo?

Oh my goodness. Wow. I am such an idiot. Epic lulz. I TOLD myself I would try and not make any stupid mistakes before coming and begging for help. =D

Turns out I had unplugged the CPU. I had initially plugged it in, but had moved the plug out when installing the graphics card. And like an idiot, forgot to plug it back in and assumed the worst. So the CPU fan was powering on, but not the CPU.

I got video output and a POST! I am happy now, and can go to sleep and finish this in the morning. Thanks for all your help.

LordCanti

SenseiJinx said:
Oh my goodness. Wow. I am such an idiot. Epic lulz. I TOLD myself I would try and not make any stupid mistakes before coming and begging for help. =D

Turns out I had unplugged the CPU. I had initially plugged it in, but had moved the plug out when installing the graphics card. And like an idiot, forgot to plug it back in and assumed the worst. So the CPU fan was powering on, but not the CPU.

I got video output and a POST! I am happy now, and can go to sleep and finish this in the morning. Thanks for all your help.

cHf07.png

glad you got it fixed

hxcmuziq

Banned
This is my 1st build since '98. 1st Gaming Rig ever. (Unless you count my PII 350 playing diablo 2)

GOT IT:

i5 2500K = 179.99 + 13.95 tax = 193.94
ASRock P67 Extreme 4 = 115.99 + 8.99 tax = 124.98
Antec HCG-750W PSU = 94.99 + 6.89 tax = 101.88 - 25.00 rebate = 76.88
1TB 7200 RPM WD Hdd = Already owned.
Pioneer DVD burner = Already owned.

ORDERED:

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 1333 = 39.99 + 2.90 tax = 42.89
MSI N570GTX Twin Frozr III Power Edition/OC Graphics Card = 324.99 + No tax Yay Amazon!
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 = 27.25 + No tax Yay Amazon!

Cost so far: $815.93 + $20 2 year extended warranty on mobo from MicroCenter. - $25 rebate if I actually send it in.

NEED:

Case Suggestions. Nothing Flashy, just needs to fit all this shit. Cool and quiet are important, but pretty aint on my give a fuck list.

I'm probably going to be playing BF3 on my 46" Sharp Aquos and audio to my Denon 4308. I see the MoBo has optical audio out but how's the sound quality?

I still want to get a monitor. What do you guys think of this for $350 from Amazon? http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LC27A750XS/ZA-specs

LordCanti

hxcmuziq said:
This is my 1st build since '98. 1st Gaming Rig ever. (Unless you count my PII 350 playing diablo 2)

GOT IT:

i5 2500K = 179.99 + 13.95 tax = 193.94
ASRock P67 Extreme 4 = 115.99 + 8.99 tax = 124.98
Antec HCG-750W PSU = 94.99 + 6.89 tax = 101.88 - 25.00 rebate = 76.88
1TB 7200 RPM WD Hdd = Already owned.
Pioneer DVD burner = Already owned.

ORDERED:

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 1333 = 39.99 + 2.90 tax = 42.89
MSI N570GTX Twin Frozr III Power Edition/OC Graphics Card = 324.99 + No tax Yay Amazon!
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 = 27.25 + No tax Yay Amazon!

Cost so far: $815.93 + $20 2 year extended warranty on mobo from MicroCenter. - $25 rebate if I actually send it in.

NEED:

Case Suggestions. Nothing Flashy, just needs to fit all this shit. Cool and quiet are important, but pretty aint on my give a fuck list.

I'm probably going to be playing BF3 on my 46" Sharp Aquos and audio to my Denon 4308. I see the MoBo has optical audio out but how's the sound quality?

I still want to get a monitor. What do you guys think of this for $350 from Amazon? http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LC27A750XS/ZA-specs

That monitor has zero reviews on Amazon, and has some sort of wireless functionality built in. You'd be taking a risk by being one of the first to buy it. It's up to you.

As for a case, it all really depends on the price range. There is a chart in the OP with some of the best cases at each price level.

Edit: Saw the other question. Optical is a digital connection. Depending on which digital standards your mobo will output, and which your receiver can decode, it should be fine.

You could also use HDMI out (including audio) from the video card itself, unless the board supports features you need to pass to the stereo (like 5.1 through Dolby Headphone, for instance).

Heppell

Banned
Do you need a sound card to play games?

i see in a games for system requirements that it says you need a sound card but people here dont really buy it, in there builds.

LordCanti

Heppell said:
Do you need a sound card to play games?

i see in a games for system requirements that it says you need a sound card but people here dont really buy it, in there builds.

If you have a 5.1 setup, you may need a dedicated soundcard to take advantage of it (through a digital connection) if your motherboard doesn't have support.

Everyone else is fine with onboard audio. Onboard audio is nowhere near as bad as it used to be.

(Personally, I use a USB soundcard/DAC/AMP)

Heppell

Banned
LordCanti said:
If you have a 5.1 setup, you may need a dedicated soundcard to take advantage of it (through a digital connection) if your motherboard doesn't have support.

Everyone else is fine with onboard audio. Onboard audio is nowhere near as bad as it used to be.

(Personally, I use a USB soundcard/DAC/AMP)

thanks

Jtrizzy

I am having an odd issue with the sound though. I am getting dts when playing dvds, but when I try Braid or the Batman AA demo I just get pro logic. I'm downloading more stuff, but i just finished the build.

Drazgul

Partitioning has no real tangible benefit (performance-wise) if you have just one HDD, right?

I do it myself mostly out of habit and to organize things better, but I need to setup a rig for my kid brother and it'd be simpler if it all were on the C drive (I mean I keep all my games and larger apps on D: for example, but I bet most the time he'd just forget when installing, and if C: was a smaller partition mostly for the OS, he'd just clog the whole system :p).

LordCanti

Jtrizzy said:
I am having an odd issue with the sound though. I am getting dts when playing dvds, but when I try Braid or the Batman AA demo I just get pro logic. I'm downloading more stuff, but i just finished the build.

I should have been more specific before: You need a mobo that has support for 5.1 in games specifically. Dolby Home Theater (which includes Dolby Digital Live) support is a good indicator of whether or not the board can do 5.1 digitally.

Can you output via HDMI to a receiver? If so, that is another avenue to explore.

Yaska

So I ripped my win7 dvd to .iso to install it from USB. I created the usb just fine with microsoft's tool. The stick boots just fine, but I get everytime error message " A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing". And it can't find right drivers. Tried finding drives through external dvd drive from my mobo disc, but can't find 'em. Any advices? I've tried AHCI, IDE and disabling JMicron and Maxtel SATA devices. My motherboard is Asus p8p67 pro.

Sethos

Banned
Yaska said:
So I ripped my win7 dvd to .iso to install it from USB. I created the usb just fine with microsoft's tool. The stick boots just fine, but I get everytime error message " A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing". And it can't find right drivers. Tried finding drives through external dvd drive from my mobo disc, but can't find 'em. Any advices? I've tried AHCI, IDE and disabling JMicron and Maxtel SATA devices. My motherboard is Asus p8p67 pro.

You wouldn't happen to be using the USB3 port(s), would you? In that case, use a USB2 port.

Yaska

Sethos said:
You wouldn't happen to be using the USB3 port(s), would you? In that case, use a USB2 port.
No I'm using USB 2 port, tried switching ports. Only USB devices plugged in are my G19 and my mouse.

Jtrizzy

LordCanti said:
I should have been more specific before: You need a mobo that has support for 5.1 in games specifically. Dolby Home Theater (which includes Dolby Digital Live) support is a good indicator of whether or not the board can do 5.1 digitally.

Can you output via HDMI to a receiver? If so, that is another avenue to explore.

this is my mobo

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131730

Yaska

Ok got it working, needed just another external drive. Now I have to understand why windows cannot be installed on my SSD, but I guess it has something to do with the AHCI mode. To the googlemobile!

LordCanti

Jtrizzy said:
this is my mobo

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131730

I can't find any info on that specific mobo (it's new), but generally speaking, 5.1 support (in game) is hard to find on motherboards.

The support you'd be looking for is Dolby Home Theater (Dolby Digital Live), or DTS Connect. It doesn't appear that your mobo has this (the product page on ASUS's site lists "DTS Surround Sensation UltraPC" which upon checking the DTS site to find out what that means, seems to involve a technology that converts 2 channel audio, to 5 channel, which is not what you want.

Product page: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z68V_PRO/
DTS Page: http://www.dts.com/DTS_Audio_Formats/DTS_Surround_Sensation/Surround_Sensation_-_UltraPC.aspx

If your receiver supports analog 5.1, you could always go that route. Or, you could pass the audio through your video card, to your receiver.

If not, you'd need a soundcard. Look for one that specifically lists Dolby Digital Live.

Jtrizzy

Problem is my receiver doesn't have HDMI. I've been using optical since ps2 on a Denon I bought ten years ago. So its either a sound card or a new receiver I guess?

I wonder if I run the sound hdmi to my tv then to the receiver via optical would get me DTS?

zoku88

Yaska said:
Ok got it working, needed just another external drive. Now I have to understand why windows cannot be installed on my SSD, but I guess it has something to do with the AHCI mode. To the googlemobile!
If you have more than one drive, did you make sure your BIOS says that the SSD is the first drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom