• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

n0n44m

fans58ca.gif

I've already posted my casemod before, but I had to clean out the filter (1 , 2) and replace the three rattling Yate-Loon 120 casefans with three smoooth Noiseblocker 1000 rpm fans (which are great casefans for anyone who stays under 1000 rpm, over 1000 rpm the Scythe Gentle Typhoon is the way to go)

so I did a little photoshoot :p

cable management is a bit hard with this case though (and all the sensor wires) Not the mention what the backside looks like lol... Also I just painted the inside with some regular outdoor-proof metal paint, no spray or anything. And I should have practiced first with the carbon vinyl :p

To attach the radiator I have to lay it on its side, it's just too heavy to bolt in place when it's standing upright :D But it's so nice and quiet with the new casefans, even with everything at full speed (3*120 1000 rpm, 6*140 1300 rpm & 3*140 900 rpm), but I just run everything at 400 rpm ramping up automatically when the water temperature rises due to heavy load (GPU heats up water a lot) thanks to the "fan controller" (it does so much more :p)

p1040022274v.jpg

TommyT

Case gurus... is there any tutorial or design dock to get the top wire mesh off of the CM690ii? After installing my Hyper212+ I had to remove the top-most fan of the side panel and was going to have it pulling air in from the top of the case... however, that shit is annoying as hell to take off.

n0n44m

TommyT said:
Case gurus... is there any tutorial or design dock to get the top wire mesh off of the CM690ii? After installing my Hyper212+ I had to remove the top-most fan of the side panel and was going to have it pulling air in from the top of the case... however, that shit is annoying as hell to take off.

you mean like the roof? pretty easy I'd say

there's SIX plastic clips, 3 pairs of 2 (I think :p) that stick the roof to the top of the metal inner case structure

take off the front and side panels first to make it easier

then push the clips towards each other one pair at a time, and lift the roof in that section a little --> just do this a couple of times and it should pop right off

*Only difficulty can be the cables to the front USB/power/reset/eSata and so on. They should have a little slack, so you can just tip over the roof at a 90 degree angle next to the case with the cables still attached

edit: by the way you can install 120 mm fans (25mm thick) on the top there, so between the roof and the top of the inner case structure. 140 mm fans won't fit as they're too wide :( so they need to be attached on the inside of the inner structure's top

LordCanti

n0n44m said:
I've already posted my casemod before, but I had to clean out the filter (1 , 2) and replace the three rattling Yate-Loon 120 casefans with three smoooth Noiseblocker 1000 rpm fans (which are great casefans for anyone who stays under 1000 rpm, over 1000 rpm the Scythe Gentle Typhoon is the way to go)

so I did a little photoshoot :p

cable management is a bit hard[/URL] with this case though (and all the sensor wires) Not the mention what the backside looks like lol... Also I just painted the inside with some regular outdoor-proof metal paint, no spray or anything. And I should have practiced first with the carbon vinyl :p

To attach the radiator I have to lay it on its side, it's just too heavy to bolt in place when it's standing upright :D But it's so nice and quiet with the new casefans, even with everything at full speed (3*120 1000 rpm, 6*140 1300 rpm & 3*140 900 rpm), but I just run everything at 400 rpm ramping up automatically when the water temperature rises due to heavy load (GPU heats up water a lot) thanks to the "fan controller" (it does so much more :p)

If that won't play Crysis, I don't know what will. Tis beautiful.

SaintR

Hey guys got the upgrade bug after building my pc thanks to you guys. Now my question is, is it worth the upgrade from a 2 gb 6950(with good overclock) to a gtx 580 COD edition seeing that I can get it for 350?

th3dude

LordCanti said:
That's their everyday price. Wait for a $40 CPU+Mobo combo deal for real savings.

Wow, I was thinking that was a limited time price. Amazing. Amazon and Newegg have that CPU @ $220.

How often do they bundle like that?

LordCanti

sn1pes said:
Wow, I was thinking that was a limited time price. Amazing. Amazon and Newegg have that CPU @ $220.

Every other month, maybe? They just had a deal finish on the 14th of August. There was one a month or two before that.

All in store of course.

When they have them, they usually run for weeks.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Friend of mine got some of his stuff at Microcenter. Unless the prices have improved, the only thing they are really good for is CPUs and CPU+motherboard combos. They are usually higher than online stores for everything else.

TommyT

chaosblade said:
Friend of mine got some of his stuff at Microcenter. Unless the prices have improved, the only thing they are really good for is CPUs and CPU+motherboard combos. They are usually higher than online stores for everything else.

The only thing I ended up getting from there was the CPU. After some lengthy price checking that was really they only thing they offered that was better than anywhere else. I bought before the combo deal but yeah.

tuxor

Neo Member
So I think I'm going to get a Fractal Define R3, it's the best looking minimalist case I can find. Anyways, it comes with 2 120mm fans, any advice for quiet 120mm fans for a decent price, preferably without LEDs?

Also, what would be the best place to mount them if I'll have a GTX 570 and 2500k w/ 212+?

Drazgul

SaintR said:
Hey guys got the upgrade bug after building my pc thanks to you guys. Now my question is, is it worth the upgrade from a 2 gb 6950(with good overclock) to a gtx 580 COD edition seeing that I can get it for 350?

Will it be an upgrade? Sure. Is it worth it when you already have the 6950? Only if you have money to burn. The 6950 will easily last another 6 months, after which you should be able to get one of the next-gen cards that'll stomp the 580 into the ground.

@tuxor:

Gentle Typhoons are great case fans.

mkenyon

Banned
Its official, I'm done with crossfire. Anyone looking for a 5870 for $200? It's an XFX 5870, so it has a lifetime warranty.

XFX-Radeon-HD-5870-Black-Edition-video-graphics-card.jpg

hIla7.jpg

Bottom card is reference length, top card is the XFX. It's a bit shorter.

Drazgul

mkenyon said:
Anyone looking for a 5870 for $200?

I sure hope not, since you can buy new 6870's for $175 that come with a DX:HR coupon to boot.

Edit: Err or were the 6870's worse performers? In any case I'd rather put a few dollars more into the purchase and get a 6950. :p

n0n44m

tuxor said:
So I think I'm going to get a Fractal Define R3, it's the best looking minimalist case I can find. Anyways, it comes with 2 120mm fans, any advice for quiet 120mm fans for a decent price, preferably without LEDs?

Also, what would be the best place to mount them if I'll have a GTX 570 and 2500k w/ 212+?

decent price = cheap ? :p

I have Yate-Loon 140 medium & slow , those are nice. I had Yate-Loon 120 slow, those were OK but the rattling was really noticeable at less than 1000 rpm :(

best 120 : Scythe Gentle Typhoon's are really quiet for the amount of air they push over 1000 rpm, and my new NoiseBlocker's are really silent (smooth with no rattling) at 1000 rpm or less. Both cost around €13 per fan though

The stock fans are probably louder than those two anyway, so just get some cheap Yate-Loon at the same RPM as the stock fans as the loudest fan(s) will determine total noise

SaintR said:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/293?vs=305

check out if you think it's worth $350 - *amountforwhichyousell6950* .
although $350 for such a card is always a nice deal anyway

~30% more fps in Bad Company 2 1080p max might result in a nice upgrade for BF3

Drazgul said:
I sure hope not, since you can buy new 6870's for $175 that come with a DX:HR coupon to boot.

Edit: Err or were the 6870's worse performers? In any case I'd rather put a few dollars more into the purchase and get a 6950. :p

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/290?vs=294

slightly worse :p (better tessellation but doesn't seem to matter much in Heaven Benchmark?)

mkenyon

Banned
Drazgul said:

5870 generally performs a bit better than 6950s, so yeah, it's a good price. They generally go for $250-275 because they're the "ultimate" bitcoin mining card.
Sethos said:
Another one has seen the light, yay!
Oh, I saw the light before buying it, I'm the guy that wrote the intro to crossfire/SLI in the OP and scares as many people as possible away from it. I got a good deal on it from a buddy who had to upgrade to a 6970 to use his newly purchased apple cinema display, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Selling it for what I paid for it. My plans were to get an eyefinity display setup, but that money went to a new car, my wife's new project horse, and a Lian Li X900.

Karmum

Banned
Karmum said:
I guess it's between GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 and my original choice, MSI P67A-G43. Going toward the latter because it's a bit cheaper, and barring any massive differences, I'll just stick with that one.
Just need one final opinion, placing the order for the CPU and motherboard on Micro Center either today or tomorrow. Pony up a bit more money (I think it's like $95 for the MSI and $119 for the GIGABYTE at Micro Center w/ my CPU) or just stick with the MSI? Which is better or more overclocking friendly?

mkenyon

Banned
Karmum said:
Just need one final opinion, placing the order for the CPU and motherboard on Micro Center either today or tomorrow. Pony up a bit more money (I think it's like $95 for the MSI and $119 for the GIGABYTE at Micro Center w/ my CPU) or just stick with the MSI? Which is better or more overclocking friendly?
All the basic boards will overclock about the same, as they generally use the same quality capacitors and voltage regulators, and have the same chipstet. It's mostly an aesthetics choice, as well as which manufacturer you prefer for whatever anecdotal reasons.

LordCanti

WTF. Apparently Microcenter IS having a $40 combo deal for 2500k's and compatible mobo's right now. They didn't e-mail me about it. I feel so unloved.

LordCanti

sn1pes said:
Have a link for that?

I can't find anything mentioning the deal on their site. I added a Z68 mobo (the second most expensive Gigabyte one, for like $160) and a 2500k. In the cart, the mobo is $119 (before a $15 rebate).

I should mention that this is in store pickup only. Don't want to get the hopes up of anyone without a local Microcenter.

th3dude

LordCanti said:
I can't find anything mentioning the deal on their site. I added a Z68 mobo (the second most expensive Gigabyte one, for like $160) and a 2500k. In the cart, the mobo is $119 (with a $15 rebate).

I should mention that this is in store pickup only. Don't want to get the hopes up of anyone without a local Microcenter.

You know I noticed the same thing, I think you're right.

And yea, I have a local MC. My favorite place.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Sigh... 120 usd for an 2500k. Gee must be rough for you guys over there. 280 usd, that's what the cheapest one here goes for, and hell I think that is cheap! But 120? I'd buy ten of them and give to my mates.

" here you go, take this 2500k and ...heck you don't have a pc, use it as a windshield scraper"

tehbible

Interfectum said:
I got a new PSU a few months ago but recently the fan has been making a noise any time it kicks on (infrequently). The noise sounds like the fan is hitting something or rubbing on something as it's spinning. Is there any fix for this besides doing an RMA? I'd have to go through SeaSonic and be without a PC for however long it takes them... :\

The PSU: SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088)
i have the same exact PSU.

i would just take it off your rig, and place it back in and make sure no cables or anything are getting in the way of the fan.

as for having just one pc. i feel for ya. i'm glad i built a cheap HTPC (~$300) as backup. I had to RMA my Corsair SSD. Took 2 weeks :(

LordCanti

Interfectum said:
I got a new PSU a few months ago but recently the fan has been making a noise any time it kicks on (infrequently). The noise sounds like the fan is hitting something or rubbing on something as it's spinning. Is there any fix for this besides doing an RMA? I'd have to go through SeaSonic and be without a PC for however long it takes them... :\

The PSU: SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088)

Open the case up, and visually make sure that nothing is hitting the fan. If nothing is, no, there is nothing you can really do. If you open it, your warranty is likely void, which is a bad idea on an item that has such a great warranty. I'd just RMA it.

mkenyon

Banned
Interfectum said:

Got a X750 a few weeks ago, I had the *exact* same problem, sent it in for RMA last week. The guy said it's a fairly common problem, which bothered me quite a bit.

tehbible

Open Source said:
Finally putting together a system to replace my old c2d e8500 rig.

I've gotten:
i5 2500k - $220
asrock p67 extreme4 - $150
PNY GTX 570 1280MB - $320
16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance - $115
1TB Western Digital Caviar Black 7200RPM - $80*
128GB Crucial m4 SSD - $180
CoolerMaster HAF 932 - $143
750W Corsair 80+ - $110**

Some rebates here and there, maybe $50 or so in total if I bother filling them out. No aftermarket CPU cooler yet, might grab one later when I'm more motivated to tinker. Probably turn my old PC into a HTPC.

*I thought this was the 2TB model when I ordered it, so I'll probably return it and get something else
** I should be getting a second video card free at some point, so this is for SLI

nobody said anything about this build, so i'll make a comment or two.

16GB is totally unnecessary. 8GB max is fine, save yourself $60.

That 1TB WD HDD seems expensive. You can get a 1TB Spinpoint for like ~$60 nowadays

If you're into modular PSU's, I'd recommend that. Seasonic x650 Gold is what I recommend. Gold certification ftw. edit: ok i see that you will be SLI'ing in the future. I'd still go for a Seasonic modular PSU though, 750w.

LordCanti

mkenyon said:
Got a X750 a few weeks ago, I had the *exact* same problem, sent it in for RMA last week. The guy said it's a fairly common problem, which bothered me quite a bit.

Was it a bum fan, or what? I've got an X750 as well, and I'd cry a bit if the fan went south.

mkenyon

Banned
LordCanti said:
Was it a bum fan, or what? I've got an X750 as well, and I'd cry a bit if the fan went south.
My guess is that either something near the fan isn't properly trimmed down and it's hitting it, or the fan is just not centered/installed properly so it's hitting some component. I'm sure it would be an easy fix, but I didn't want to void my warranty over it. I had really bad coil whine too, otherwise I may have just fixed it myself.

*edit* @interfectum You could grab an inexpensive PSU for the time being. Luckily for me, I have like 3 extras laying around, put my old Corsair HX650 back in. Was a travesty, especially since I just got back my unisleeved cables and spent like 3 hours getting everything installed and looking nice.

Enco

Just set up my new computer.

Geforce 580
i5 2500
8GB RAM

Those are the main bits. Every game I've tried runs brilliantly. I can max out GTA IV and get a very smooth frame rate (probably at or above 60). All ready for Skyrim and BF3.

Graphics card reaches around 70 degrees when gaming and idles at around 37-40 degrees. CPU idles at around 40-41 degrees. I upped the fan speed and the CPU now reaches around 61 degrees when gaming. Nothing amazing but I'll live. They can get pretty darn hot. That's the worst thing about this set up.

LordCanti

Enco said:
Just set up my new computer.

Geforce 580
i5 2500
8GB RAM

Those are the main bits. Every game I've tried runs brilliantly. I can max out GTA IV and get a very smooth frame rate (probably at or above 60). All ready for Skyrim and BF3.

Graphics card reaches around 70 degrees when gaming and idles at around 37-40 degrees. CPU idles at around 40-41 degrees. I upped the fan speed and the CPU now reaches around 61 degrees when gaming. Nothing amazing but I'll live. They can get pretty darn hot. That's the worst thing about this set up.

You owe it to yourself to install the IceEnhancer + HR texture mod for GTA IV. It should run well on your hardware, and it looks incredible.

I think the potential for noise in some models is one of the reasons that the fans in the SeaSonic X660 and X760 are setup differently than they are in the X650 and X750.

sn1pes said:

Micro Center has Intel and AMD bundles more often than not.

Intel bundles:
http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/98ab8cea#/98ab8cea/28

tuxor said:

I'd recommend adding a second front intake. If it's a reference 570, one additional fan should be ok (two would be noisier, but better, though). If it's a custom cooler model, I'd consider placing the stock front intake as a top exhaust, and then add two good, inexpensive fans as front intakes. For instance, a pair of high speed Yate Loons (run off the stock fan controller, so you can silence them whenever you want to), should do the trick. You can also try running a floor intake, and compare temps.

Inexpensive 120s with good airflow: Yate Loon, Nexus, Scythe Kama Flow II, Thermalright X-Silent, Enermax T.B. Silence, Zaward Golfs

Good, but pricier 120s: Gentle Typhoon (14/15, or lower rpm), Noiseblocker M12-S1/M12-S2, or M12-PS/M12-P (latter pair are PWM), Noctua

Also, you may want to install your SSDs/HDDs in the lower half of the drive cage.

Enco

LordCanti said:
You owe it to yourself to install the IceEnhancer + HR texture mod for GTA IV. It should run well on your hardware, and it looks incredible.
I'd love to but I have the Steam version :(

I can work with the new one but it won't look as good from what I've read.

I'll give it a shot!

TommyT

mkenyon said:
5870 generally performs a bit better than 6950s, so yeah, it's a good price. They generally go for $250-275 because they're the "ultimate" bitcoin mining card.

Oh, I saw the light before buying it, I'm the guy that wrote the intro to crossfire/SLI in the OP and scares as many people as possible away from it. I got a good deal on it from a buddy who had to upgrade to a 6970 to use his newly purchased apple cinema display, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Selling it for what I paid for it. My plans were to get an eyefinity display setup, but that money went to a new car, my wife's new project horse, and a Lian Li X900.

This got me.

What kind of horse? I've always liked the result of breeding a Golden Palominos to get a resulting 'buck-skin' from a darker mare.

Karmum

Banned
LordCanti said:
WTF. Apparently Microcenter IS having a $40 combo deal for 2500k's and compatible mobo's right now. They didn't e-mail me about it. I feel so unloved.
Yeah, between the two motherboards I'm choose from it's like $95 and $119 instead of like $135 and $159.99.

mkenyon said:
All the basic boards will overclock about the same, as they generally use the same quality capacitors and voltage regulators, and have the same chipstet. It's mostly an aesthetics choice, as well as which manufacturer you prefer for whatever anecdotal reasons.
Thanks, although I don't know much about these two brands of motherboards. Cheaper might just be better in this case. I've heard good things about both. Looks don't mean much to me, I won't be seeing much of it.

Drazgul

LordCanti said:

Is one 580 enough to run ICE smoothly at 1920x?

TommyT

ACE 1991 said:
:O Maybe I'll get the i5 from there and order all my other parts online. Shit, that saves me like 40 bucks.

Don't forget tax. My total ended up benig 19x.xx which ended up in a net savings of $25. Not that that is anything to scoff at.

mkenyon

Banned
TommyT said:
This got me.

What kind of horse? I've always liked the result of breeding a Golden Palominos to get a resulting 'buck-skin' from a darker mare.
She does colt breaking for cutting. Buys a baby, breaks it, sells it to trainers for a profit. She gets them much more for the bloodlines than the actual colors. This one is a bay philly though.

Since I prob will get a faster response here than the laptop thread:

GAF I need ur help:

I'm currently in the market for a new windows based laptop primarily for programming. I probably won't be doing much 3D but I want to at least be ready for it if I decide to do some Kinect stuff and whatnot. I also might want to run a game here or there.

I'm a guy who knows jack shit about hardware and whatnot since I'm always a bit more concerned about the software I'm running.

I'm semi on a budget (hoping for nothing over $700 but I know it might cost me), I don't need a monster powerhouse (maybe I do since I wear the shit out of my MacBook Pro with 25 programs open at once multitasking >_< ), plus if I can avoid all the flashy shit like glowing weird lights or strange builds that would be a plus.

In advance thanks. I'm also in the market for an external HDD just to clean out my MacBook Pro if anyone knows of anything ^_^

ACE 1991

Given this build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Rla

What motherboard from Microcenter would I need to ensure it's compatible with the rest of my rig? That i5 2500K deal sounds amazing, but I want to make sure I'm not messing up the build I currently have. I'm leaving in less than 24 hours to go back to school and won't be near a microcenter, so if someone could give me some input on this soon I, and my small bank account, would greatly appreciate it! I can order the other parts online and have it shipped to school.

Drazgul

Sethos said:
Fine, unless you expect 60fps.

30+ is all I need. Going to get a 570 most likely anyway, but since a good cooler can push it to roughly 580 levels if you don't get an abnormally poor specimen, I might give it a try after all.

TommyT

mkenyon said:
She does colt breaking for cutting. Buys a baby, breaks it, sells it to trainers for a profit. She gets them much more for the bloodlines than the actual colors. This one is a bay philly though.

She actually does the breaking? Impressive sir, very well done. *clap.gif*

Soi-Fong

SaintR said:

You have got to tell me where you found this deal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom