• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darklord said:
Got my new 570. Anything I need to know before installing it? This is the first time I'm installing a card.
I'll add: Don't install drivers from the DVD, and make sure to have any applicable warranty cards/procedures taken care of, especially if you intend to OC.

iSurvivedTheOutage said:
my man..I said the same thing while I was clicking the buy button a week ago. :D
Yeah? Well... well.. I'll say the same thing when I buy a Z77 Gene-Z!

*cries*

mkenyon said:
Feist, I feel like you have a direct connection to my PC Building desires. *internet five*

I'm so close to scrapping my watercooled bulldozer X900 build and doing a Gene-Z build in the V600FX.

http://www.avadirect.com/images/items/CDN-LNL-PCV600FX.jpg
2isbbf7.jpg

If it weren't for the obligations I have, I'd be much worse than I am.

March 2012 launch window is so far away... I still like the vanilla V600 more, but in classic Lian Li fashion, they purposely sabotage what could have otherwise been a "perfect" enclosure.

- PC-V600: no rear exhaust. Not even a measly 92mm single fan. Clean? Yes. Functional? No. No one stares at the rear of their case all day, and users shouldn't have to mod something that basic.
- PC-V354: not suited to builds that you need to open up and tweak regularly. Very limited cooler options.
- PC-V1020B: want a black interior? You have to buy a PC-V1020R. Don't think I'd powdercoat aluminum, and anodizing isn't free. It also has issues with dust.

Nothing exactly drastic, just little odd things that could've been handled differently. Add a rear exhaust to the V600 (stock, not modded) and it would easily be equal to, or better than, the V354, as one of the best mATX options.

Glassboy

Hello PC Gaf,
This is what I am thinking about building:
Case- Fractal Design Define R3 Black ATX Mid Tower Silent PC Computer Case
Storage- SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 HD204UI 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
Motherboard- ASRock P67 EXTREME4 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel
GPU- EVGA 015-P3-1580-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Power supplyCORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power ...
CPU Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
Cooler COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact"
Drive ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
RAM G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
Total: 1,278.89
Now, if I wanted an SSD what should I go with? And if I want to sli the GTX 580 in the future possibly for Battlefield 3, Should I get a bigger power supply (1000 watt?) Thanks! I appreciate any help since this is the first computer I am going to build

mkenyon

Banned
·feist· said:
March 2012 launch window is so far away... I still like the vanilla V600 more, but in classic Lian Li fashion, they purposely sabotage what could have otherwise been a "perfect" enclosure.

- PC-V600: no rear exhaust. Not even a measly 92mm single fan. Clean? Yes. Functional? No. No one stares at the rear of their case all day, and users shouldn't have to mod something that basic.
- PC-V354: not suited to builds that you need to open up and tweak regularly. Very limited cooler options.
- PC-V1020B: want a black interior? You have to buy a PC-V1020R. Don't think I'd powdercoat aluminum, and anodizing isn't free. It also has issues with dust.

Nothing exactly drastic, just little odd things that could've been handled differently. Add a rear exhaust to the V600 (stock, not modded) and it would easily be equal to, or better than, the V354, as one of the best mATX options.
Yep yep. It is the *only* downside to it. I will say, that the R's are not nearly as bright as their newegg pictures. I have the Spider test bench and the red is a really nice deep red. They must have crazy bright lights at newegg for their picture booth. Last I saw, the 1020R was on super sale too.

mNMiX.jpg

Hey PC GAF. Can I ask a quick opinion on the importance of GPUs when gaming at low resolutions?

Right now I have a pretty solid little rig from two or so years ago (i5-750, 4870 1GB) that I output to a 720p HDTV. It still seems to be performing pretty well with a few settings reduced, but I have some free cash saved up and I'm pretty excited about a few upcoming PC releases (BF3 for the most part). My question is, are the current lower price point GPUs (460 or 6870 range) worth and upgrade from my 4870 when gaming at as low a resolution as 1366x768? All the benchmarks that I see all start at like 1680 x 1050 so I have no idea about the performance increase that I would see at lower resolutions. However even if the FPS bump isn't huge I'm assuming that it would start to get pretty important going forward to have the DX11 features and move off of a DX9 only card.

So what do folks think, is this a smart upgrade to move onto DX11 features if I'm only pushing to 720P?

mkenyon

Banned
TheFightingFish said:
Hey PC GAF. Can I ask a quick opinion on the importance of GPUs when gaming at low resolutions?

So what do folks think, is this a smart upgrade to move onto DX11 features if I'm only pushing to 720P?
Nope. 4870 is still a rockin card. Wait for the price drop on the 6xxx series when the 7xxx series is released.

How can I find out if a power supply will fit a case? I decided to get the tx 650w corsair power supply, dimensions are 5.9"(W) x 3.4"(H) x 6.3"(L). The case I want to use is the fractal design core 1000 micro atx case. However, it doesn't list specs for the power supply size. The case size is 6.89"(W) x 13.98"(H) x 16.54"(L), I'm worried it might not fit because it's a small tower micro atx case.

Also, the mobo I'm getting is the gigabyte micro atx z68. Link below, will it work with the power supply? I pretty sure it will, just to be safe.

Motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128495

Power supply - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...p=Cat_Power_Supplies-_-Spotlight-_-17-139-020

Case - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352009

Thanks in advance.

n0n44m

iSurvivedTheOutage said:
Dont fret my Friend: this kid right here has the exact same build as me(sent 560ti in waiting on evga 570ds) and hes only like 7 years old :'(

hehe when I was his age this was my PC lol :(

ooooldcaseiudg.jpg

it ate insects for breakfast. well all day actually. and the top 220V 120mm fan (had a second power cable for it) was a mighty performer, both in terms of CFM and dB :D

Glassboy said:
Hello PC Gaf,

Now, if I wanted an SSD what should I go with? And if I want to sli the GTX 580 in the future possibly for Battlefield 3, Should I get a bigger power supply (1000 watt?) Thanks! I appreciate any help since this is the first computer I am going to build

Intel 320 (with new firmware it's safe again) has nice size/price ratio and good performance, would be my choice

A TX750 will just about run it theoretically, but you would be really pushing it too much for long-term usage. for SLI GTX580 you're better off getting something like a (Corsair only) HX1050, TX950 or anything higher in those series. AX850 is enough probably, but the AX series are pretty expensive.

Finnish the Fox said:
How can I find out if a power supply will fit a case? I decided to get the tx 650w corsair power supply, dimensions are 5.9"(W) x 3.4"(H) x 6.3"(L). The case I want to use is the fractal design core 1000 micro atx case. However, it doesn't list specs for the power supply size. The case size is 6.89"(W) x 13.98"(H) x 16.54"(L), I'm worried it might not fit because it's a small tower micro atx case.

Also, the mobo I'm getting is the gigabyte micro atx z68. Link below, will it work with the power supply? I pretty sure it will, just to be safe.

Power supply - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...p=Cat_Power_Supplies-_-Spotlight-_-17-139-020

Thanks in advance.

all ATX PSUs have the same dimensions except for some very powerful (Corsair AX1200 for example) models which are somewhat longer. If nothing is indicated any ATX or mATX case should just fit any normal PSU. Extra small PSUs are only for the really small SFF type of cases. And looking at the picture I'd say it might even support an AX1200 :p

yes TX650 + motherboard + case should all work together. Don't throw a monstrous graphics card in such a small case though =]

iSurvivedTheOutage said:
Dont fret my Friend: this kid right here has the exact same build as me(sent 560ti in waiting on evga 570ds) and hes only like 7 years old :'(
His classmates are watching iCarly, while he's rocking a ROG.

Glassboy said:
Hello PC Gaf,
Case- Fractal Design Define R3 Black ATX Mid Tower Silent PC Computer Case
Storage- SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 HD204UI 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
Motherboard- ASRock P67 EXTREME4 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel
GPU- EVGA 015-P3-1580-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Power supplyCORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power ...
CPU Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
Cooler COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact"
Drive ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
RAM G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
Total: 1,278.89
Look into the Intel 320, Intel 510, Curcial M4, and various SandForce 2000-based drives (Corsair Force GT, G. Skill Phoenix, Patriot Wildfire, etc). SSD reviews here: http://thessdreview.com/

To run SLI 580s, I'd look at ~850W Gold or Platinum models, at minimum. Higher wattage, if you want lower stress.

mkenyon said:
Yep yep. It is the *only* downside to it. I will say, that the R's are not nearly as bright as their newegg pictures. I have the Spider test bench and the red is a really nice deep red. They must have crazy bright lights at newegg for their picture booth. Last I saw, the 1020R was on super sale too.

http://i.imgur.com/mNMiX.jpg
If you ever get bored, there's nothing like a dancing test bench.

Finnish the Fox said:

Thanks in advance.
Your parts are all fine, and the PSU will fit easily.

Comparable PSU:
http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/3218/09leftempty.jpg

TheExodu5

Banned
mkenyon said:
Comparing an ASRock board to an RoG board is like a Kia to BMW. When i was talking about the price difference, I meant as in ASUS Z68 compared to the ASUS Gene-Z, its a $30-$40 difference. There's still a significant price difference here between the baseline ASRock boards though.

My main issue with that board is that it's Micro ATX...but then again, I think I might move to a smaller Micro ATX setup in the future, so I can't complain!

I think I'm over the whole full tower craze. As nice as the HAF X is to work in, I want something that has a smaller footprint and that will be more easily portable. SLI being such lackluster experience has helped fortify that decision.

what kind of computer desks do you guys have?
I want something that can house a 30 inch monitor, two 5-6 inch wide speakers. a receiver, sub-woofer of course, center channel speaker as well as a headphones.. all the usual junk. but I'd also like to be able to hide all the wires. any ideas? oh, and I rather it not be L-shaped. LOL

TheExodu5 said:
My main issue with that board is that it's Micro ATX...but then again, I think I might move to a smaller Micro ATX setup in the future, so I can't complain!

I think I'm over the whole full tower craze. As nice as the HAF X is to work in, I want something that has a smaller footprint and that will be more easily portable. SLI being such lackluster experience has helped fortify that decision.

the thing is the HAF X is so inelegant. ;) maybe lian-li would be better for you. and SLI was disappointing to you? I personally can't see going back to a single card (unless it has the same power as SLI 580) what problems did you have?

TheExodu5

Banned
evil solrac v3.0 said:
the thing is the HAF X is so inelegant. ;) maybe lian-li would be better for you. and SLI was disappointing to you? I personally can't see going back to a single card (unless it has the same power as SLI 580) what problems did you have?

The HAF X has been a great performer...but yeah it is inelegant. Still, I want something smaller. Lugging this thing to 2 LANs has not been fun.

As for the problems...far too many games just don't support it. Almost no game ever supports SLI at launch. Trackmania 2 certainly doesn't, and neither does The Witcher 2 (last I tried, anyways). In fact, some games even run worse with SLI on, like Shogun 2, and again, Trackmania! The truth it, a single GTX 570 is enough for 95% of the games I play, as I'm only gaming on 1080p. SLI has shown its worth in a few games, but not really enough to justify the incompatibilities and added headache of troubleshooting SLI every time I'm trying to optimize performance. Plus, running two cards generates a ton of heat, and makes overclocking very difficult as a proper cooling solution isn't really possible considering the real estate it would take up.

I'm looking forward to the next generation of GPUs so I can dump the dual-card setup and move back to a nice single card with an aftermarket cooler.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
jett said:
Okay so I'm looking at getting an ASUS P67 motherboard, but they have like 10 different models, any recommendations in the sub $150 price range?. I'm not looking for anything fancy, I intend to pair it to a 2500k for the potential of overclocking it if needed. The PC will most likely only be a single-GPU one.

I just got the P8P67 non-pro. Overclocks, has nice UEFI, comes with bluetooth dongle if you want it, USB3, 6GB SATA etc. I saw no reason for the pro or other variants. Plenty of room for a 2GB 6950, wireless network card and sound card (I wanted dolby headphone), plus Noctua CPU cooler (9B SE2)

n0n44m

don't really like the HAF series' looks either ... my (original) CM Stacker and the ATCS 840 are my favorite CoolerMaster designs <3

as for the desk ...

Monitor goes hanging against the wall, center speaker beneath it concealing all wires. speakers left and right ofcourse (standing speakers for me so next to the desk). Headphones hang somewhere in reach. Subwoofer is on the other side of the room for me.

Receiver is a pain in the ass to fit, especially because you shouldn't block the top... so I have that to my right side on the L part of my desk :p

Seriously I've thought about it for a long time, but a receiver is just too big with too many wires to put anywhere near your main desk without going L or having a very long (asymmetrical) desk/setup

tuxor

Neo Member
If I'm running 1 570 and a 2500k, planning to OC both, will a 650W be enough?

Corsair TX650's $20 off, which is cheaper than the TX750 I was planning on buying, but as the 750 won't cut it to SLI 2 570's in the future, I may as well downgrade if possible, or spend extra for an 850-1000 though I'd rather save money as I'm not entirely sure if I'm going to SLI.

Holy run on sentence batman.

n0n44m

tuxor said:
If I'm running 1 570 and a 2500k, planning to OC both, will a 650W be enough?

Corsair TX650's $20 off, which is cheaper than the TX750 I was planning on buying, but as the 750 won't cut it to SLI 2 570's in the future, I may as well downgrade if possible, or spend extra for an 850-1000 though I'd rather save money as I'm not entirely sure if I'm going to SLI.

Holy run on sentence batman.

yeah 650w is fine for any single gpu card

mkenyon

Banned
evil solrac v3.0 said:
what kind of computer desks do you guys have?
I want something that can house a 30 inch monitor, two 5-6 inch wide speakers. a receiver, sub-woofer of course, center channel speaker as well as a headphones.. all the usual junk. but I'd also like to be able to hide all the wires. any ideas? oh, and I rather it not be L-shaped. LOL
2ymy71s.jpg

Here's my pic before all my recent big rig upgrades. (By the way, I still have that case lying around if anyone local to Seattle/Oly needs one - CM Scout)

Big desk + wire rack. You can manage all your cables so everything looks neat, and the wire racks are totally modular. Build whatever kind of system you need.

n0n44m said:
yes TX650 + motherboard + case should all work together. Don't throw a monstrous graphics card in such a small case though =]

I'm going to put in a i5 2500k (maybe overclock it to 4.0-4.5ghz) with most likely a GTX 570, maybe a 580 if the price drops soon. Does that sound reasonable for my case?

It has to be an nvidia card because I want to use the 3-d gaming feature. Unfortunately the 28nm keplers are rumored to be delayed to next year (don't want to wait), hopefully the radeon 7xxx drops very soon so the 580 drops in price.

Feist, n0n44m, thanks for the help.

Setting my fans on high or low seem to have no difference on my cpu and gpu temperatures.

Perhaps my case is too large.

Gpu idles at 46-52c

Overclocked i5 @ 4.5 ghz at 35-41

Smokey

Tried again today and same results. Below is a pic from the MSI logs:

2n8yf6c.jpg

As you can see GPU usage goes everywhere as do my FPS as they go hand in hand. At this point I don't know what else to do here. I'm sure you guys are sick of me posting about this shit but it's very frustrating when you have a graphics card that should breeze through anything acting like this.

I've gone through drivers, removing Afterburner from startup, forcing voltage. I've tried everything and I'm very close to my breaking point with this. Can anybody think of something that I may have missed or have not tried?

TheExodu5

Banned
VibratingDonkey said:
How about a Corsair 620w? Going for a 580 probably. If I can save some money by not replacing the PSU that'd be pretty nice.

Is that the Corsair HX620W? If so, then you're fine. As long as it's of decent quality, that's more than enough for a GTX 580 setup (unless you're doing heavy overvolting of the GPU).

gibon3z said:
Setting my fans on high or low seem to have no difference on my cpu and gpu temperatures.

Perhaps my case is too large.

Gpu idles at 46-52c

Overclocked i5 @ 4.5 ghz at 35-41
Possible. Could also be inefficient fans, or your ambient is low enough that it makes little difference.

Finnish the Fox said:
I'm going to put in a i5 2500k (maybe overclock it to 4.0-4.5ghz) with most likely a GTX 570, maybe a 580 if the price drops soon. Does that sound reasonable for my case?

It has to be an nvidia card because I want to use the 3-d gaming feature. Unfortunately the 28nm keplers are rumored to be delayed to next year (don't want to wait), hopefully the radeon 7xxx drops very soon so the 580 drops in price.

NP. Instead of the Core 1000, I'd urge you to take a look these $40 cases:

BitFenix Merc Aplha & Merc Beta
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29242721&postcount=4398
BitFenix Merc Guided Tour: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfijO0GK3XE
http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/chassis/merc-alpha#overview
http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/chassis/merc-beta/

NZXT Source 210
http://www.nzxt.com/new/products/classic_series/source_210
http://www.nzxt.com/new/products/classic_series/source_210_elite

Diablotek Evo
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6798987&CatId=1842
$40 at Micro Center.

Those are some hot, high end components you're planning to run in a small case, with no cable management and a single fan.

n0n44m

VibratingDonkey said:
How about a Corsair 620w? Going for a 580 probably. If I can save some money by not replacing the PSU that'd be pretty nice.

same =]

Finnish the Fox said:

well I saw it only has a single 120 mm intake fan, with room for an extra on the side and a 92 on the back. So it seems like a really simple mATX case designed for office/media use.

The Arc Mini is more suited for gaming systems imho, but more expensive ofcourse. If you still pick the Core 1000 at least put in those extra fans then =]

or take a look at those that feist posted

TouchMyBox said:
Why would you make a computer that has a face?

white outer switches are on/off, black ones are I-O-II ... couldn't find pure black on/off ones :D

ow and the gold PSU was some POS "550W" I bought for €45 and died after 13 months right on the 2nd night of that LAN party :(

TheExodu5 said:
Is that the Corsair HX620W? If so, then you're fine. As long as it's of decent quality, that's more than enough for a GTX 580 setup (unless you're doing heavy overvolting of the GPU).
Indeed it is. Seems I made a good call three years ago. Thanks.

tehbible

Smokey said:

As you can see GPU usage goes everywhere as do my FPS as they go hand in hand. At this point I don't know what else to do here. I'm sure you guys are sick of me posting about this shit but it's very frustrating when you have a graphics card that should breeze through anything acting like this.

I've gone through drivers, removing Afterburner from startup, forcing voltage. I've tried everything and I'm very close to my breaking point with this. Can anybody think of something that I may have missed or have not tried?

Whats so weird if GPU utilization fluctuates? Are you saying it fluctuates when idle?

Or when you're playing a game? Please elaborate

n0n44m

Smokey said:

http://i53.tinypic.com/2n8yf6c.jpg[IMG]

I've gone through drivers, removing Afterburner from startup, forcing voltage. I've tried everything and I'm very close to my breaking point with this. Can anybody think of something that I may have missed or have not tried?[/QUOTE]

my GTA IV + Ice mod benchmark log looks like [URL="http://www.abload.de/img/gpu_usagehu5g.png"][U]this[/U][/URL] at stock clocks, 100%

just to make it clear; the same thing is happening with other games as well right? Because GTA IV is not exactly the most stable software/port out there, and you said Heaven 2.5 was giving high GPU usage

normally I'd say it's some cpu/memory bottleneck but you got a 2500K right? Have you run any CPU benchmarks to make sure that it's performing like it should? Maybe run the game windowed and run CPU-Z to confirm it doesn't downclock or anything.

~38-40C is pretty good temps running at idle for an i5 2500k with a Hyper 212+, right?

EDIT: Did some Googling, and apparently those are decent temps. The room I'm in is pretty warm at the moment anyway. Might install a few more fans, or another fan on the Hyper 212+. I'm running Prime95 at the moment, and I haven't seen it go over 60C.

Note, this is running on stock speeds. Will see what happens when I start overclocking...

Noticed the sagging triple-slot cards a few pages ago, and that kinda made me worried since my GTX 470 will be in the same boat once I put the aftermarket cooler on it.

Well, I'm not worried about it sagging on its own, more than I'm worried that the stress will damage the motherboard over time since I'll be carrying it back and forth.

I could carry the case on its side, but none of the carrying solutions I've seen so far seem to really support that. None of the bracing solutions I've seen to support heavy cards look like they would hold up from just hauling the thing around(that powerjack device doesn't look like it was made for the case being moved around, and a looped wire would probably do its own sort of damage over time).

I could switch back to one of those HTPC cases that have the motherboard seated horizontally... am I just overthinking this?

LordCanti said:
If you can swing just a weeee bit more http://ncix.ca/products/?sku=55077&vpn=01G-P3-1370-TR&manufacture=eVGA&promoid=1365

or

http://ncix.ca/products/?sku=54581&vpn=01G-P3-1371-AR&manufacture=eVGA

If you need something cheaper, I'm not the biggest authority on sub-$150 cards.
Thanks for this. Purchase it today. Now waiting to benchmark this sucker.

That said, my new AMD CPU's fan is LOUD!!! Like 6000-7000RPM loud! I don't know if it's defective or something. I throttled the speed via speediest but that's a bit scary to do so.

I am also very cautious of processors so I won't touch/replace it myself... :/

Feist, n0n44m, once again thanks for the help.

I'm just not too excited about the cases out there. Regardless of the price the core 1000 was my favorite looking case, I browsed the silverstones, lian li, etc... and couldn't find a minimalist case I liked more. The define mini came in second. Although the blue led light does bother me a bit, it's probably better I go with that case. It's slightly larger, has six fans for much better ventilation, and a front usb 3 port to boot, not bad at all.

Smokey

tehbible said:
Whats so weird if GPU utilization fluctuates? Are you saying it fluctuates when idle?

Or when you're playing a game? Please elaborate
Gaming. The gpu usage going up and down is effecting gameplay, often times making it unplayable. Look at my fps on that chart in relation to usage.

That still looks fairly cheap. The only thing I like the look of is the lian li t60 test bench but that's not very practical; It's not really understated either but I guess if I can't find one that I like, the less case there is to look at the better. It's a bit expensive for what it is too.

mkenyon

Banned
Tea and Toast said:
That still looks fairly cheap. The only thing I like the look of is the lian li t60 test bench but that's not very practical; It's not really understated either but I guess if I can't find one that I like, the less case there is to look at the better. It's a bit expensive for what it is too.
Newegg -> Computer Hardware -> Computer Cases -> Computer Cases -> Manufacturer: Lian Li -> Sort by price highest to lowest. That is how I case shop. Prepare to be blown away by the simple elegance.

TheExodu5

Banned
mkenyon said:
Newegg -> Computer Hardware -> Computer Cases -> Computer Cases -> Manufacturer: Lian Li -> Sort by price highest to lowest. That is how I case shop. Prepare to be blown away by the simple elegance.

Lian-Li is still missing features I need. I want a case with:

Perpendicular HDD bays
Black Interior
Dust filters

Why am I relegated to cheap plastic and steel? :(

Besides that, the PCZ60B is nice. I guess those are features I could live without, but for $230...

AkIRA_22

iSurvivedTheOutage said:
2n7oym0.jpg

yeah yeah yeah micro atx board in an atx mid tower....

No reason to justify, I run the same. I only recently upgraded to the arc from a p180 mini. I also could not resist the force ;) plus the fucking door snapped off.

DSC_0166.JPG

Just installed my Xonar DG. HOLY FUCKING SHIT. If you primarily use headphones, get this thing. It's 16 after rebate.

With the Dolby headphone it sounds fucking AMAZING using my ATH-M50s...

Finnish the Fox said:
I'm in the same boat, the one's I like the best/dislike least are fractal's.

http://fractal-design.com/

Yeah, they are the best of a bad lot.

There always seems to be something wrong with cases in general.. cheap looking ports, ugly chrome feet or stupid leds. I know i'm not going to get an apple quality case but how hard is it to make make me a quality, simple looking metal box.

The corsair 600t looks to be good quality but it also looks like an exhaust from a spaceship.

TheExodu5

Banned
The 600T is one of the ugliest cases I have ever seen...at least in person.

Fractal R3 is still what I'd recommend for most people when they ask for a nice understated case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom