• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eating champion eats 183 chicken wings in 12 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seven stone eating champion dubbed 'Black Widow' strikes again after eating world record 183 chicken wings in 12 minutes

A seven stone woman dubbed the 'Black Widow' has retained her world eating crown by devouring a world record 183 chicken wings in 12 minutes.

Sonya Thomas, who has also triumphed in several hot dog eating contests, consumed the astonishing amount at the National Buffalo Wings Festival in Buffalo, New York, on Sunday.

article-0-0DB7577300000578-980_634x440.jpg

Thomas, from Alexandria, Virginia, broke her own world record with the extraordinary display, which saw her eat over 2.2kg of meat.

She had previously scoffed 181 wings in the same time at last year's competition, and has previously set 38 separate competitive eating world records.

Despite standing at just 5'5" and weighing 105lbs (seven stone) the diminutive South Korean saw off competition from Joey 'Jaws' Chestnut, who only managed 174 wings.

The winner of the annual contest gets $1,500, with the runner-up receiving $750 and third place earning $300.

Burger King manager Thomas, 43, earned the nickname 'The Black Widow' for her ability to beat male competitors in eating contests.

She also holds records for eating the most jalapeno peppers, clams, oyster, soft tacos and chicken tenders in separate contests.

Her career highlights include eating 6.5lbs of crawfish in 10 minutes in Louisiana last year, 37 oysters in eight minutes last June, and 53 soft tacos in 12 minutes a month later.

Her effort of 41 hot dogs and buns in 2009 is just one of her many world records.

She does not dominate the savoury competitive eating field, however.

Thomas ate 46 mince pies in 10 minutes in Somerset, England, in 2006.

The Black Widow and her main rival Joey Chestnut are familiar faces on the competitive eating cicuit

Both won titles at the July Fourth hot god eating contest on New York's Coney Island.

Thomas put away 40 hot dogs to claim the women's title, while Joey 'Jaws' Chestnut downed 62 weiners and buns in the men's competition.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...homas-eats-183-chicken-wings-12-minutes.html#

Alucrid

Banned
Thomas put away 40 hot dogs to claim the women's title, while Joey 'Jaws' Chestnut downed 62 weiners and buns in the men's competition.

So why can you talk about guys downing wieners but for girls it's hot dogs?

equap

Banned
i think food companies willl get a lot more publicity if they send food to Africa instead of doing shit like this.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer but eating competitions are deplorable in my opinion. The poor animals that are killed for this nonsense and the sheer waste of food involved. Terrible.

Also - gross at that picture in the OP. Look at the top of that water bottle. I'm gonna be sick.

LQX

equap said:
i think food companies willl get a lot more publicity if they send food to Africa instead of doing shit like this.
Really? Send chicken wings to Africa?

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Plywood said:
Good for her, wonder how she manages to stay so skinny and yet eat so much.
Weight gain isn't a huge problem when you eat the same thing over and over. She probably exercises alot too.

Draft

I love buffalo wings. No breading, nice buttery sauce, spicy but not too spicy... goddamn, wish I had some buffalo wings right now!

VALIS

I can eat about 40 in a half hour if I'm really hungry. Looks like I have some training to do. *cranks Eye of the Tiger*

Thread should be renamed 'Eating competition thread bans two users in under a minute'.

I once saw a dude at a local wing joint eat 100 ultra-hot wings in an hour. I tried one and I wanted to die.

Plywood said:

Freak metabolism. Or starves herself before these competitions. I honestly can't imagine the stomach aches after these things.

you would have the worst case of ring of fire ever after that

Korey said:
a wing every 4 seconds, I'm still not sure how that's humanly possible

you can eat the wings in one bite, but the drumsticks would have to be pretty tender to do that.

6.5Lbs of crawfish in 10 minutes? that's absolutely insane. I can barely finish 3 in an hour with 3 people.

She needs to be on Man V Food. She may give Adam a run for his money

Devolution said:
Freak metabolism. Or starves herself before these competitions. I honestly can't imagine the stomach aches after these things.
She practices filling her stomach to capacity (which is something crazy like 17 pounds). She also spends something like 3 hours a day on a treadmill IIRC.

Lance Bone Path said:
She practices filling her stomach to capacity (which is something crazy like 17 pounds). She also spends something like 3 hours a day on a treadmill IIRC.

Just how much does she make off these competitions?

ajim

Devolution said:
You can't starve yourself for eating. To be able to eat this much, you need to build up your ability to eat like this. I'd say she eats a lot of food really consistently, its part of her training.

Like pro bodybuilders, the amount of food they eat is bewildering, but they had to work their asses off to eat that much.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Plywood said:

She doesn't do it every day. There are several studies in which they have skinny subjects force themselves to overeat. They do gain weight, but then you ask them to eat like they did before and they return to nearly exactly the weight before the study. The body regulates hunger just like it regulates heat, metabolism, heartrate, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom