• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
_Alkaline_ said:
I'm also finding some text a little blurry and hard to read, but I'm trying to figure out a way around it. Increasing the brightness appears to alleviate it both issues somewhat, but I don't want a washed out image. I'm currently sticking with the default (normal) brightness - for those with plasma sets, what did you use?

I had the same problem too but the component cable helped out and the text since then has become much better... well maybe not much but it certainly helped.

Lumine said:
How do I turn Dunban into an effective tank? Please don't tell me it's by stripping him off all his gear. That would just suck. Acquiring new equipment has been one of the most fun mechanics in this game so far (loot!) I tried replacing Reyn and Sharla with Dunban and Melia but it just doesn't seem as effective. The tank/healer combo with Reyn and Sharla seems to work much better and increases my survivability quite a bit. Perhaps I just need to experiment a bit more. Like taking Shulk out of the equiation for once.

I'm currently in Makna Forest at lv32 around 20 hours in. I really like the look of this place, that waterfall looks gorgeous.

FYI, a lot of people think, and I do agree with them, that Reyn, although a viable option, is not as good as Dunban. His attacks are slow, and more often than not he is incapable of drawing aggro effectively especially when arts are already flying around.

Dunban --> attacks crazy fast, highest agility of all (evade evade evade!), and his skill sets naturally make him as Aggro absorber much more effectively than Reyn. Just stuck with him several agility up and aggro up gems and you're set.

Melia is one of the best--I daresay she is the best--damage dealer in the game, but you have to control her manually in order to achieve this. Her potential damage output is incredibly insane and she is, bar none, the best AOE damage dealer in the game (though she is a bit frail on the HP/Defense side, but that's what Dunban/Reyn are for)

Sharla is without a doubt the best healer in the game though.

And you're pretty much required to mix and match in order to increase affinity so that you can link up a bunch of skills even more.

Laughing Banana said:
I had the same problem too but the component cable helped out and the text since then has become much better... well maybe not much but it certainly helped.

Sadly I'm already using a component cable.

It's not all text. Stuff like subtitles and speech bubbles look just fine. It's stuff like the red text in the tutorial sections or character info in the affinity stuff. Maybe it's the game and not my TV, I've never had issues before with text in other Wii games.

Thanks for responding though.

Oxx

slaughterking said:
Fighting Egil and the stuff that happens after that.

Thanks. I panicked when I went back to the
Whitewing Palace
and given the choice to 'rest' or keep doing stuff. Seems like I'll have plenty of time to get through the quests.

Gvaz

Banned
mattiewheels said:
I'm having a good time with the game so far, but I can't stand the retreaded Nomura buckles and pouches character design, when I expected something refreshing from this one. I know it's a weird thing to care about, but it's annoying that jrpg design hasn't progressed very far in that respect. I guess the vacuum of bare midriffed pretty boys with buckles and spiked hair is too hard to escape from.
Oddly enough, it's just Shulk's clothes that look like that.

Ulthwe

I finally got the hang of
Melia
after a couple hours of battling with her as the main character. The help from this forum is invaluable!

By the way, I'd like to finish an old timed quest in Bionis Leg but I can't find the monster! Its supposed to be found nearby the "Celestial Plateau" (Translating from "Platea Celeste" in spanish, north of the refugee camp), and the monster is called "Andante el Furioso" (or something like that, in english should be named something along the lines of "Walking" whatever). I've been in the zone in every time available and see no monsters there.

PetrCobra

Ulthwe said:
Melia
after a couple hours of battling with her as the main character. The help from this forum is invaluable!

By the way, I'd like to finish an old timed quest in Bionis Leg but I can't find the monster! Its supposed to be found nearby the "Celestial Plateau" (Translating from "Platea Celeste" in spanish, north of the refugee camp), and the monster is called "Andante el Furioso" (or something like that, in english should be named something along the lines of "Walking" whatever). I've been in the zone in every time available and see no monsters there.
try a bit more to the south. The monster is not exactly where it is supposed to be. I remember looking for him for a long time before I accidentally ran right into his face.

Delio

Ok i'm about 60 hours in and i have run into the first boss to really give me problems. Any tips agiasnt
Gadoi the last time you face him.
? My party has been extremely good at getting topple/chain combos but i just cant with that boss. My party is
Shulk,Dunban and Melia

As I move around this would I start to think, how does gravity work in this world? I mean at some parts we should be falling off this thing >.>

Ulthwe

PetrCobra said:
try a bit more to the south. The monster is not exactly where it is supposed to be. I remember looking for him for a long time before I accidentally ran right into his face.
There's that big ass turtle (which I already defeated) to the south of the Celestial Plateau (under some kind of "cave"). You mean around there?

Wichu

Ulthwe said:
There's that big ass turtle (which I already defeated) to the south of the Celestial Plateau (under some kind of "cave"). You mean around there?
He runs around between there and the path with the Mechon.

WanderingWind said:
NOOOOOOOO!
Not Fiona!
:(

Massive spoilers, btw.

20 hours in so far. Best RPG of the past 15 years opinion is still valid.

I was surprised at that also. just the start of a wonderful ride!

Hela

Has anyone beaten the (late game mob) -
100lv gorilla at the Three Sages Summit
yet? I tried and failed miserabely.

Finalow

Delio said:
Ok i'm about 60 hours in and i have run into the first boss to really give me problems. Any tips agiasnt
Gadoi the last time you face him.
? My party has been extremely good at getting topple/chain combos but i just cant with that boss. My party is
Shulk,Dunban and Melia
lv? That fight is pretty hard if you are underlevelled, and attack only the boss, don't care about minos.

Delio

finalozzo said:
lv? Is pretty hard that fight if you are underlevelled, and attack only the boss, don't care about minos.

Lv 68 at this point i figure i should just crank it and go level to 70 and come back.

Oxx

Ulthwe said:
Melia

Might be 'Violent Andante'. I had a hard time completing the quest. I knew where the monster should have been, but 9 times out of 10 it wasn't there. And the one time it did spawn I killed it.

Gvaz

Banned
Ulthwe said:
Melia

The monster you're looking for is near the lake, to the east of the plateau (in english it's called Sky Stage) when it's raining. It's one of those triceretops typed armu.

Finalow

Delio said:
Lv 68 at this point i figure i should just crank it and go level to 70 and come back.
no. Lv 68 is enough.
don't use melia, use sharla. When you are not overlevelled sharla is a must.

RPGCrazied

I finally got it! I know most of you have beat it by now, or just don't care, but I did promise a picture. :p

Thanks gaffer!

Picture628.jpg

Ledsen

Ulthwe said:
Melia

"Sky Stage" and "Violent Andante" respectively. He's supposed to be further south than he's supposed to be.

Oxx

I looked in GAME for the first time in ages and they seemed to have lots of copies on shelves. I guess that's what happens when you sell the standard edition for £40.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I'm in
Maknar(sp?) Forest
area, and man... this place is mindblowing. I'm literally walking around this bustling area with my mouth open at all the glorious scenery. Even for a Wii game this looks utterly, utterly amazing. The best thing is, I can go everywhere I want to... and I get rewarded for it with more experience points! No grinding needed at all, because I'm rewarded for doing things that come naturally to me as a gamer. It's like they merged a Square-Enix PS2-era RPG with the freedom of exploration found in Mario 64.

This game may actually be one of my top three favourite games this gen. And I haven't even finished it yet.

Oxx said:
I looked in GAME for the first time in ages and they seemed to have lots of copies on shelves. I guess that's what happens when you sell the standard edition for £40.
Oh great, as soon as the next big Nintendo release comes out they might ship these back to the central depot (no instore space for them) and sell them as some space clearing, loss leading price like £20 making you wonder why they didn't take this stock to feed the people staving for online orders and sell for zero-margins £30.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
RPGCrazied said:
I finally got it! I know most of you have beat it by now, or just don't care, but I did promise a picture. :p

Thanks gaffer!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/RPGCrazied/Picture628.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I don't know how, but I bet that by tonight you will have played more than the 30 hours I have...

Congratulations (I don't expect to see you for a week at least [img]http://i.imgur.com/KuGsj.gif)

RPGCrazied said:

Thanks gaffer!

[IMGhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/RPGCrazied/Picture628.jpg[/IMG]
All's well that ends well.

Diablos54

Congrats RPGCrazied, you finally get to join in on the fun!

And just when I thought things can't get much better, the whole sequence at (Lv 70)
Mechnos Core
just blew me away, sooooo good.

Kjellson

Just reached lvl 99 with Shulk. Fuck yea.

Question: I heard that there's a quest in the end that
starts as a normal quest but ends with real cutscenes and stuff
. Is it true? Where can I find it?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Lumine said:
How do I turn Dunban into an effective tank? Please don't tell me it's by stripping him off all his gear. That would just suck. Acquiring new equipment has been one of the most fun mechanics in this game so far (loot!) I tried replacing Reyn and Sharla with Dunban and Melia but it just doesn't seem as effective. The tank/healer combo with Reyn and Sharla seems to work much better and increases my survivability quite a bit. Perhaps I just need to experiment a bit more. Like taking Shulk out of the equiation for once.

I'm currently in Makna Forest at lv32 around 20 hours in. I really like the look of this place, that waterfall looks gorgeous.
Bit late here, but use light armor on Dunban since that doesn't hinder his agility, and like Laughing Banana said use Agility and Aggro Up gems. Do NOT use Heat Haze, get rid of that ASAP since it removes agrro from him. If you can get his agility high enough then he dodges almost every attack, so defense doesn't matter much. You can also get a pretty awesome weapon for him in the forest, it easily made him my highest damage dealer at the time and I still haven't found a better weapon the area beyond that.

I haven't found an effective way to replace Sharla, she's the only good healer so she kind of has to stick around, at least for battles against unique mobs or bosses. Maybe you could just focus on agility for the whole party and the enemies will struggle to even hit you negating the need for healing at all, but that's pretty risky since most of the other healing skills are pretty limited so you might get screwed if anything goes wrong.

From my experience Reyn and Dunban are pretty much interchangeable as tanks (although Dunban is almost certainly better due to higher damage output, plus agility>def+HP), and then the other three characters can fill that last spot depending on what you're doing, each have their strengths. If you're just running around collecting stuff and doing quests just about any combination will do, even if it's not the best setup. You'll want to mix it up to build affinity. And thanks for the tips on affinity for those that posted them. Especially SW_UK, that cleared up a lot.

Let me in

Regarding replacing Sharla:
I was using Shulk/Duban/Riki for a while. Riki gets some good healing abilities -- enough that I never needed Sharla. Shulk's light heal can cover the cooldown between heals from Riki.

RPGCrazied

Thanks all. This game is awesome. Why isn't this coming to the states again? Shame NoA! I feel an all nighter coming on, just how awesome it is. I haven't done one of those in a very long time.

Leeness

I'm so late, but RPGCRAZIED, YAY.

2e1cak5.jpg

2nkq9oz.jpg

4h4oxv.jpg

jq741g.jpg

Have fun!

I spent like, four hours last night, just exploring Gaur. Ran into many random OH SHIT monsters that hunted me down.

...I look forward to the day I return, monsters.

Reached Valak Mountains last night and my god, such beautiful music coupled with the way the
environment changes to that yellow color was yet another jaw dropping moment for me

wsippel

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
Thanks all. This game is awesome. Why isn't this coming to the states again? Shame NoA! I feel an all nighter coming on, just how awesome it is. I haven't done one of those in a very long time.
Really happy for you, and I hope you'll enjoy it at least as much as I did. :)

Oxx

40 hours spoilers:

Yeah, the pace has dropped a bit in
Alcamoth/Eryth Sea
. I was expecting shit to go down in the
Entia Tomb
, but it was a bit of a tame location.

Things seem to be picking-up now as I make my way towards
Prison Island

Top Bottom