• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week's Famitsu etc. Japan news

Mojojo

todog said:
First reviews are in (still unconfirmed from gamefront.de)

Mother 3 (GBA, Nintendo): 10 / 8 / 8 / 9 - (35/40)

What scores did the former Mother games have in the past? and the Mother 1+2 compilation on GBA?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Striek said:
Wow at Okami. I'd been pretty confident this'll be a turd thats good to look at :x
I'm really starting to wonder about your taste in games. :\

neo2046 said:
all titles for GBA from Nintendo

ORBITAL,
COLORIS,
Soundvoyage,
DIALHEX,
DIGDRIVE,
dotstream,
BOUNDISH
The Digitylish series resurfaces again?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
PSP Tekken DR - 6 July
PSP Goku Makaimura - Summer
PSP Ace Combat X - Autumn

vf5elblaze9wu.jpg

YYYYYEEESSS

(el blaze is also pleased that okami is almost as good as nintendogs)

Andy787

Banned
A_Lee_N said:
Okami is developed by CloverStudio, not Capcom.
Which.. is Capcom..

Isn't it?

Anyway, awesome news about Mikami + Inaba game (nice name, too), and Ace Combat PSP. And I knew Okami was going to rock. :)

Lee N

Membre
Andy787 said:
Which.. is Capcom..

Isn't it?
They might be owned by Capcom and get published by Capcom, but they're clearly a separate studio. I think it's stupid that people give publishers all the credit, it's the individual studios doing all the work..

Jan

As happy as i am about Okami score i remember you that Famitsu is the worst review mag ever.

No one can take seriously that bunch of idiots.

gconsole

Okami is developed by CloverStudio, not Capcom.

It's all Capcom , all staff was transferred from Studio 4 . Capcom create this studio for the creativities that the starff can do what they want withouth the pushing from the old structure in big company like it was. All credit should go to Clover studio , but "CLOVER STUDIO IS CAPCOM"

:/

* The same as you say sonic team is not sega.

Namco has been announcing alot of PSP games lately... all their big franchises are on the system (Tekken, Tales, Ace Combat, Katamari, Ridge Racer... probably not too long before Soul Calibur PSP is announced).

And wow @ FFIII. With this game, half of Square's games for the DS are all online. But wtf would FFIII use online for?? Battling other parties? Awesome artwork btw.

Can't wait for the scans.

duckroll

Blimblim said:
Urg. 31 for N3, if true, is really disappointing. I don't put too much faith in Famitsu's scoring, but for such a high profile title it's a very average score considering how big the moneyhats may have been ;)

It's true. Basically the reviewers said that the scope of battles with the entire screen filled with enemies is quite amazing, the multi-angled scenario is interesting and the movies are really high quality. Unfortunately they feel that when you kill the peons its weak and completely unsatisfying and that the game really lacks moments where you actually feel awesome taking down a foe. They also mentioned that having to replay an entire stage from the start when you get a game over is pretty fustrating sometimes.

As for the Mother 3 review, they basically said the scenario, script and BGM are all great. Not much else information yet. No Okami review info. But the scores are all legit.

duckroll

Ace Combat X also has 4 player multiplay. No word if its just ad-hoc or infrastructure too but this being a Japanese game don't get your hopes up.

Also Culdcept Saga has a 4 page article and they revealed a HUGE list of illustrators for the cards, as well as confirming that Kenji Ito is composing and there will be twice as much music as the previous installment. There are 4 characters and they're focusing more on the storyline this time. Release window is Summer 2006.

Here's the list of illustrators and their works in Japanese, I'll slowly translate and edit the post:

Naoyuki Katoh - Legend of Galactic Heroes mechanical design
Yuuji Kaida - UltraSeven's DVD package design
Katsuya Terada - VF2 character designer
Jun Suemi - Wizardry series
Akiman - Turn-A Gundam character design
Shinobu Tanno - Guin Saga illustrator
Mitsuhiro Arita - Pokemon Cardgame
Satoshi Nakai - Biohazard illustrator
Tomoharu Saito - Culdcept illustrator
Shishizaru - Sangokushi Taisen card illustrator, Crimson Sea character design
Ittoku - Sangokushi Taisen card illustrator, World Super Police character design
Yoshio Sugiura - Sangokushi Taisen card illustrator
Yuri Hanayama - Culdcept 2 Idol Master design
Ayano Koshiro - Legend of Thor design, Ys monster design (Yuzo's sister!)
Atsuko Nishida - Ragnarok Online character design
Noriko Meguro - GAME Gather special cover illustrator 
Miho Midorikawa - Suikogaiden cards' dragon illustrator
Hirooka Masaki - Espgaluda 2 character design
Yuusaku Nakaaki - 8th Dengeki Game Illustration Gold Award winner
Ippei Soeda - Truth In Fantasy series illustrator
Toshiya Tanaka - Shin Megami Tensei Devil Children Cardgame
Midori Harata - Shin Megami Tensei Devil Children Cardgame
Karita Takanashi - Online Cardgame Artier
Okamoto Seiju - Shin Megami Tensei Devil Children Cardgame
Souin Ikeda - Sangokushi Taisen card illustrator
Zolge Ichizou - SEGAGAGA
Shinya Kaneko - Culdcept mangaka
Kairough Ketu - Culdcept internal artist

Disclaimer: Some of these romanizations for the names might be wrong. :D

neo2046

PS2 Spectral VS Generation 6655
PS2 Okami 1010109
PS2 GARO 6665
X360 N3 8887

GBA Mother 3 10889
PSP Dragonball Z PSP 8767
NDS Tsubasa Chronicle 2 6667
NDS Soroeru Puzzle Fairy Tales Kingdom 7666
NDS Zoo Tycoon DS 6657

Matix

Jonnyram said:
FFXI expansion info from Famitsu:
Translated here

Final Fantasy III info in Jump.
Wi-fi compatible.
Looks like it could be out in July.

ff38ho.jpg

Game release dates from various sources:
360 Culdcept Saga - Summer

PS2 God Hand [capcom]

PSP Tekken DR - 6 July
PSP Goku Makaimura - Summer
PSP Ace Combat X - Autumn

DS Project Hacker [nintendo]

Fucking Hotness !!

Amir0x

Banned
duckroll said:
Ace Combat X also has 4 player multiplay. No word if its just ad-hoc or infrastructure too but this being a Japanese game don't get your hopes up.

Nice on the multiplay.

duckroll said:
Also Culdcept Saga has a 4 page article and they revealed a HUGE list of illustrators for the cards... Release window is Summer 2006.

Man that's quick for release. I hope it gets an english translation quick then.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Final Fantasy 3 vs Tales of the Tempest

GRAPHIC-WHORES BATTLE! STAAAAAAAAAART!

The graphic whore says "ew, neither!"

Blimblim

The Inside Track
duckroll said:
It's true. Basically the reviewers said that the scope of battles with the entire screen filled with enemies is quite amazing, the multi-angled scenario is interesting and the movies are really high quality. Unfortunately they feel that when you kill the peons its weak and completely unsatisfying and that the game really lacks moments where you actually feel awesome taking down a foe. They also mentioned that having to replay an entire stage from the start when you get a game over is pretty fustrating sometimes.
Damn. That was a bit expected, but still I was hoping the game would not just be killing mindless peons. Ho well, if the production values are good it should be enough to keep me playing.

bloke

neo2046 said:
X360 N3 8887
Lol, lower than what RRXX scored...oh well, I'll comfort myself with the fact that they gave one my fave XB games, Otogi2 an 8787 :p

SolidSnakex said:
31 is the same score Famitsu gave Ikusagami and Sengoku Basara. Those are 2 of the more recent DW style games.
Puzzling since Basara is about 100x better game than that Ikusagami pos.

Looks at the Culdcept Saga list of illustrators... :O

So if the PSP outsells the DS the week of July 4th. That week shall be always know as July 4th. This is unless Final Fantasy 3 comes out the same week. Or maybe it should be called "The Dark Ressurection" (sp?)

duckroll

Sales numbers in! Check out how the losers performed:

11. Zettai Zetsumei Toshi 2 - 28557
12. Naruto Portable - 28111
16. Rumble Roses XX - 16944
17. Seiken DS - 15953 (195,147)
21. Xenosaga I+II - 11225
27. Sangoku Musou 2nd PSP - 7623
30. Contact - 6064

duckroll said:

30. Contact - 6064

Amir0x

Banned
duckroll said:

30. Contact - 6064

If you consider that RRXX is an 360 game, that number is easily thirty times as impressive. That's 500,000 sales.

lunlunqq

... and more interestingly, the God Hand project is led by Shinji Mikami and Atsushi Inaba!!!

i thought Mikami hates PS2. Mikami didn't chop his own head off after breaking the promise of no RE4 for PS2... and now he's coming back to make a new game for PS2...:lol :lol :lol

edit: my bad, should be "Atsushi Inaba."

duckroll said:

As for the Mother 3 review, they basically said the scenario, script and BGM are all great. Not much else information yet. No Okami review info. But the scores are all legit.

That's basically what I've gotten out of it from the time I've had with it too. It's very technically impressive, but it's incredibly bland. You just...kill a bunch of guys, and it's not particularly exciting or compelling. It's a real shame, because I'm a huge Mizuguchi fan. I interviewed him fairly recently and he talked a lot about how he wanted to keep the gameplay simple to put more focus on the story, and some of the things he wants to convey are pretty cool. I haven't seen localized cutscenes or anything so I don't know how the story pans out, but no matter how good it is, the actual gameplay is still very very repetitive.

Ceb

lunlunqq said:
i thought Mikami hates PS2. Mikami didn't chop his own head off after breaking the promise of no RE4 for PS2... and now he's coming back to make a new game for PS2...:lol :lol :lol

It was originally planned for the Revolution, but when Nintendo unveiled Link's wolf form in Twilight Princess, Inaba got so pissed off that he gave Mikami the ultimatum of either bringing it to the PS2 or getting another body part chopped off.

Believe.

Scores for okami are awesome. I loved the demo and can't wait to play the whole game.

And Ace Combat X- THANK FUCKING GOD! Man finally something I really really want for PSP.

Kind of surprised Mother 3 didn't score higher...

duckroll said:

30. Contact - 6064
...where is the rest?

duckroll

Blackcherry said: