• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
abuC said:
m8390y.gif

Just bought some 3gb cards today.

Shottas is such a great movie. :)

The whole world must be downloading the new nvidia drivers..10 minutes for 147mb? sheesh..

JesseZao

Last minute check before I boot:

I have a 580 gtx and xonar DG installed atm and currently only have power cables connected to the video card. Are there any other cables I need to connect or are the PCI slots doing the rest? Does the front panel HD audio go on the sound card or on the motherboard?

Thanks for the help.

Recon

Banned
Ah ok, good. I think im gonna pull the trigger on a 560 Ti. Should be the final thing this old desktop ever sees upgraded.

alf717

abuC said:
If you want one shoot me a pm, no charge.

Wow man thats really kind of you. PM sent if you still have one left. Wish I had something I could give back. Let me know if you still want some money for the game.

abuC

alf717 said:
Wow man thats really kind of you. PM sent if you still have one left. Wish I had something I could give back. Let me know if you still want some money for the game.
Sent the code, don't worry about it, I wouldn't have the game or gpu if it weren't for someone else giving out 20% codes on overclock.net.

Smokey

celcius said:
Nice, what res are you gaming at?

1080p. I did some tests with and with out SLI. I posted them in the BF3 thread but I'll post them here too:

Smokey 580 test BF3 said:
Alright. I did FRAPS in each section of Metro. The beginning in the park, the tunnel, and the city.

Park = Avg 46fps
Tunnel = 76 fps
City = 50fps

So it definitely drops when you're outside. This was on one 580, I disabled SLI. Ultra everything, highest AA etc. When I looked it was usually in the 45 or so range. Inside the tunnel that number might be skewed a bit as FRAPS was still running when I died and was viewing killcam, so FPS went up as it was only focusing on one player. For comparison with SLI I never dipped below 80fps outside. In the tunnel 100+.

So there you go.

TylerD

So I pulled the trigger on my new Sandy Bridge rig. Thanks Newegg for preferred account and no interest for 12 months!

i5 2500k 3.3ghz replaces e8500 Core 2
ASRock Z68 Extreme4 - went with the Z68 because i sold my old gfx card and have no fall back if my current one dies.
G.SKILL Sniper 8GB
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus cooler

should play nice with my Zotac GTX 560 ti in this...

MDwjk.jpg

byE7k.jpg

Corsair 400r - went with the Corsair for the awesome layout, cable management, fit and finish and that it has lots of room for huge GFX cards. Using the Corsair HX 520 modular PSU out of my current machine for now.

Im going to hold on to my 1680x1050 monitor but can still play on my 1080p 46in tv easily enough.

Should get me by ok until Kepler then I can decide what I want to do.

robor

I have a Mini Mac and I'm about to go back to PC for the first time in a long time and I need your help.

Here are some decisions I've made about certain hardware:

- Planning to use an ATi GPU
- CPU I am completely confused with as I have no idea which is better between AMD and Intel.
- Sound card (real important as I'm aiming towards becoming a full fledged sound designer) I've no idea.
- Looking at using DDR3 RAM as I guess it's safe to assume that it will be the way of the future??
- Chipset I am also lost on, though I've heard the ASUS P5K3 Deluxe is quite awesome???
- Cooling system NO IDEA.

I'm looking at trying to build a fairly small and compact tower that has high memory capacity, moderately high graphical power, has a low carbon footprint and consumes minimal power. I'm not looking to max out the graphics in any particular game but I do want to overlock if ONLY for leeway in CPU "stress" levels (if that makes any sense).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BASIC SUMMARY:

Budget: $1600.00 AUD
Main Use: Gaming, Emulation (PS2/Wii/SNES/GEN/MAME/OLD PC GAMES), Programming, Sound Design and general usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback)
Games: Crysis

I'm planning to get this PC as soon as I've figured out all the possibilities that loosely fit my above desires.

That is where GAF comes in. I truly hope you guys can help me out. I've done some research on various parts of the PC build (involving motherboard, CPU and GPU) but I still need advice for those who have a lot of experience in building PCs etc.

Thank you.

Jintor

Hey PC Gaf, can I get a cheap but good SSD recommendation? Budget around $150 - 200. It's just for running Windows 7 on, basically.

OCZ Vertex Plus 60GB seemed okay...

FrancisH

GAF, I have built the rig I asked about a month+ ago and so far it's awesome, looks great and plays great too, so a big thank you for the help. Now on to the bad part: I seem to be getting grey screen crashes and greenish vertical line crashes on The Witcher, I can't get past the first minute of the game because of it. The Witcher 2 runs perfectly but the first one doesn't.

It's also worth noting that the rest of the system isn't locked up, I can still hear everything going on and myself moving, just I can't see it.

Specs are:
MSI 6950 TFIII PE - 900MHz/1325/stock
Core i5 2500k @ 4.61Ghz
Corsair Vengeance 8GB @ 1600
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P

There isn't any overheating going on I believe and my case is well ventilated and tidy.
Hope you don't mind me asking here.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Smokey said:
1080p. I did some tests with and with out SLI. I posted them in the BF3 thread but I'll post them here too:

God damn this is going to be close. I'm keeping in mind that you said every setting was cranked, like a potential 16x AA, hbao, etc, and still got a 45 fps minimum with one 580. That's not bad at all.

RooMHM

As i promised but with some delay :

Case : Fractal Design Define R3 black
PSU : Corsair 750W AX750
MB : Gigabyte x68X-UD4-B3
CPU : Intel core i5 2500K
Cooler : Coolermaster Hyper 212+
RAM : G.Skill RipJaws RL DDR3-1600 CL9 8Go
GPU : MSI GeForce N570GTX-Twin-Frozr III power edition OC
SSD : Crucial M4 128gb
HDD : Samsung 2Tb S-ATA II SpinPoint F4 EcoGreen (HD204UI)
DVD burner : some Asus in Black

The unit is silent, very cool (haven't o/c'ed yet and cpu is 25° :) ) and the performance is neat. Cost me 1241 € in France (Paris).

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I was tabbing around for gold PSU's... The Seasonic X650W is $110 on sale for 3 more days.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

**Very slick build. Can you confirm that you can slide the CM212+ fan up to accommodate RAM in the first slot?
Jintor said:
Hey PC Gaf, can I get a cheap but good SSD recommendation? Budget around $150 - 200. It's just for running Windows 7 on, basically.

OCZ Vertex Plus 60GB seemed okay...
Intel 320 for stability, or Crucial M4.
FrancisH said:
GAF, I have built the rig I asked about a month+ ago and so far it's awesome, looks great and plays great too, so a big thank you for the help. Now on to the bad part: I seem to be getting grey screen crashes and greenish vertical line crashes on The Witcher, I can't get past the first minute of the game because of it. The Witcher 2 runs perfectly but the first one doesn't.

It's also worth noting that the rest of the system isn't locked up, I can still hear everything going on and myself moving, just I can't see it.

Specs are:
MSI 6950 TFIII PE - 900MHz/1325/stock
Core i5 2500k @ 4.61Ghz
Corsair Vengeance 8GB @ 1600
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P

There isn't any overheating going on I believe and my case is well ventilated and tidy.
Hope you don't mind me asking here.
Obvious steps first.
Lower your GPU to 800/1200
CPU to stock
Set memory manually to voltage, timing, speed in BIOS.

Stuff like that is almost always OC related, driver after.
robor said:
I have a Mini Mac and I'm about to go back to PC for the first time in a long time and I need your help.

Here are some decisions I've made about certain hardware:

- Planning to use an ATi GPU
- CPU I am completely confused with as I have no idea which is better between AMD and Intel.
- Sound card (real important as I'm aiming towards becoming a full fledged sound designer) I've no idea.
- Looking at using DDR3 RAM as I guess it's safe to assume that it will be the way of the future??
- Chipset I am also lost on, though I've heard the ASUS P5K3 Deluxe is quite awesome???
- Cooling system NO IDEA.

I'm looking at trying to build a fairly small and compact tower that has high memory capacity, moderately high graphical power, has a low carbon footprint and consumes minimal power. I'm not looking to max out the graphics in any particular game but I do want to overlock if ONLY for leeway in CPU "stress" levels (if that makes any sense).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BASIC SUMMARY:

Budget: $1600.00 AUD
Main Use: Gaming, Emulation (PS2/Wii/SNES/GEN/MAME/OLD PC GAMES), Programming, Sound Design and general usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback)
Games: Crysis

I'm planning to get this PC as soon as I've figured out all the possibilities that loosely fit my above desires.

That is where GAF comes in. I truly hope you guys can help me out. I've done some research on various parts of the PC build (involving motherboard, CPU and GPU) but I still need advice for those who have a lot of experience in building PCs etc.

Thank you.
Must be outdated if you are still thinking of a 775 board :p
AMD Bulldozer should be releasing in 4 weeks. If you do a lot of work that uses lots of cores this might be a good value. Impressions from me are that it is going to be about on the same level, however Intel is far ahead in emulation speed.

Look at the Excellent build. Toss in a 2600K. Grab an 80+ Gold PSU. Upgrade memory to what you want. Audio card, maybe Xonar ST or STX?
If you decide on an mATX case and build mention that.
HD6950 is a nice solid card, so is a 6970 if you want to spend that.

Power saving on current machines is very aggressive. Idle power is super low now.
I'd also get an SSD. Intel 320 for stability if you are doing work on it.

Smokey

Corky said:
God damn this is going to be close. I'm keeping in mind that you said every setting was cranked, like a potential 16x AA, hbao, etc, and still got a 45 fps minimum with one 580. That's not bad at all.

Yep this was everything cranked as you said. Motion blur at 70/100 I believe. Averaged 45 like I said at 1080p on a single 580. I'm sure youcould reduce some settings here and there while still staying Ultra and hit close to 60. I was also on stock clocks on my GPUs (832mhz).

robor

Hazaro said:
Must be outdated if you are still thinking of a 775 board :p
AMD Bulldozer should be releasing in 4 weeks. If you do a lot of work that uses lots of cores this might be a good value. Impressions from me are that it is going to be about on the same level, however Intel is far ahead in emulation speed.

Look at the Excellent build. Toss in a 2600K. Grab an 80+ Gold PSU. Upgrade memory to what you want. Audio card, maybe Xonar ST or STX?
If you decide on an mATX case and build mention that.
HD6950 is a nice solid card, so is a 6970 if you want to spend that.

Power saving on current machines is very aggressive. Idle power is super low now.
I'd also get an SSD. Intel 320 for stability if you are doing work on it.

Dude, thank you for everything. I think I'm almost good to go!

Two questions I must ask:

1. When looking at a PSU, what Gold 80+ would you recommend with this setup?

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K
GPU: ATi 6970 2GB
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Maximus IV Gene Z
RAM: Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB (2x4GB) Vengeance DDR3
SSD: Intel 320 Series
HDD: Samsung F4 2TB
CASE: microATX
OPTICAL DRIVE: ASUS DRW-24B3ST 24X DVDRW Drive
MONITOR: BenQ HD
COOLER: CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ CPU Cooler
SOUND CARD: ASUS Xonar ST

2. When you say "build mention that" about the mATX, what exactly do you mean? When I go into a store with my spec-sheet?

Anyways thanks again!

*edit* Forgot to mention that down the track, I'm also getting a 1080p monitor too.

Parl

Budget: Cheapo, in British pounds
Main Use: 1080p video playback, web browsing (no gaming)
Monitor Resolution: 1080p
Are reusing any parts?: All but mobo/CPU covered (DDR3 and DDR2 RAM floating about too)
When will you build?: Very soon
Will you be overclocking?: No

Wanting a good performance/price ratio for a mobo/CPU combo. Looking at the very cheap CPUs like E5700/E6600/X2 260 etc and cheap mobos. I've read a few times that AMD mobos offer better IGPs, but maybe that's the higher end because benchmarks seems to show the G41 intel ones on par with the £20-£25 more expensive Radeon HD 4250 ones. And if you want to pay about £35 for an AMD mobo like the £35 intel G41s, then you're stuck with Geforce 7025 which seems to be awful.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Smokey said:
Yep this was everything cranked as you said. Motion blur at 70/100 I believe. Averaged 45 like I said at 1080p on a single 580. I'm sure youcould reduce some settings here and there while still staying Ultra and hit close to 60. I was also on stock clocks on my GPUs (832mhz).

awesome, then I'm fairly certain ( barring vram issues ) my 560 tis running at almost 1ghz will get 60 fps @ 2560x1440 with pseudo-ultra settings , i.e not max aa, not max motion blur, not max hbao etc.

th3dude

I'm running 2 EVGA 560ti's and I'm having high temps on one of the cards. One stays in the 70s under load, but the other gets up to the mid 90s.

I suspect it's because of the limited space between the two cards preventing airflow for the top card.

Would a PCI slot exhaust fan help this? What else can I do?

GiJoccin

Just ordered the $1K build, so excited to have a capable gaming PC again!

any good places to look for decent monitors? Also, my laptop just died - I have a windows 7 on that computer, would that OS work on my new computer or do I need to get another one?

Smokey said:

Thanks Smokey! At 2560x1600, I'm only going to run 2x AA and will turn down the motion blur. With my 2600k at 4.6 and GTX580 at 920/1840/2150, I should be fine. AA kis what kills.

woober

I flashed my 6950 to a 6970 bios but the card isn't stable. I've decided I'd rather just unlock the shaders and overclock it myself, but I can't seem to be able to flash it back to my backup bios.

The file is bios.rom, but when I try to flash it back with atiwinflash, it gives me "SubsystemIDs mismatch." I tried using the command line instructions use for the 6970 flash to restore back to a 6950 bios, but it doesn't work. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Problem fixed. I just renamed the bios.rom to backup.bin so that it would be recognized.

Newegg just approved my replacement RMA for the Maximus IV Gene-Z. I'm not out $170 after all! So happy.

Thank you, PC-GAF, and especially knitoe for encouraging me to go ahead with the RMA despite the circumstances.

TylerD

All of my components are on their way. I don't think I have ever had my guaranteed Newegg 3 day shipping take more than 2 days to get to me.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I went ahead and put my order in. Hoping to get up to a 5.0+ GHz OC when I get things put together just to see if I can get it stable. Dunno what I'll decide to ultimately leave it at.

msv

I just got the Corsair HS1. It's pretty nice... but there's something wrong. Really short samples don't play. Seems like the headphones need a sample of at least a certain length to activate. When it's activated by another sound/music then it plays the other short samples normally, but otherwise, you'll either hear nothing or a vague hint of the sounds. That's kind of extremely ridiculous.

I'm not uploading AV here, I expect everything to be played properly, WTF. There shouldn't be any compression, and certainly no intermittent sound based activation of the headset, it's corded, don't act like you're wireless! Anybody else have this problem?

Renoir

i think ive come to the right place.

asus p7hssm pro
i core7 /870
4gb ddr 1333 x2
radeon hd 6870
psu diablotek 600wtt
western digital 160 hdd(will upgrade to ssd later)
fractal design case

i put the machine together. plug it in. power up.
and i get a message from the monitor that its looking for signal.
so i think its a video card issue. so i take out the card, and plug the monitor inot the integrated dvi port. and still no signal.
i go even as far as putting the card back in, and plugin it into the hdmi of my tv. still no signal.

please point me in the right direction gaf.

Renoir said:
i think ive come to the right place.

asus p7hssm pro
i core7 /870
4gb ddr 1333 x2
radeon hd 6870
psu diablotek 600wtt
western digital 160 hdd(will upgrade to ssd later)
fractal design case

i put the machine together. plug it in. power up.
and i get a message from the monitor that its looking for signal.
so i think its a video card issue. so i take out the card, and plug the monitor inot the integrated dvi port. and still no signal.
i go even as far as putting the card back in, and plugin it into the hdmi of my tv. still no signal.

please point me in the right direction gaf.
Do you mean the Asus P7H55-M PRO?
Is the PC actually booting up properly? Have you double-checked all relevant connectors (especially CPU 4/-pin power, and motherboard 24-pin power)? Can you try connecting the video out to another display (TV, additional monitor, projector), to verify if the original monitor may be the cause of the issue?

Renoir

I plug the monitor to my network and it works fine.
I'm pretty sure everything is connected right. Green led lighting on the mobo and all
Fans kick on and vid card..

And the other things I mentioned?

Renoir said:
I plug the monitor to my network and it works fine.
I'm pretty sure everything is connected right. Green led lighting on the mobo and all
Fans kick on and vid card..
More often than not, that's the case, but why not double-check them if you're troubleshooting? Just a quick unplug and replug. Some cables, or connector heads can be finicky at times, even when things seem properly secured. That's data cables, power, front panel I/O, and so on.

If nothing else, you may need to remove the motherboard, and run only the most basic components to help iron out the source of the problem.

Duxxy3

I ended up getting a sapphire 6950 dual fan instead of the 560ti.

Got it in today and the temps compared to my 470 are fairly large - 25 degrees less in furmark.

Unfortunately because the 6950 doesn't exhause heat out the back it made the rest of my system warmer, particularly the CPU (with stock HSF). It's not getting incredibly hot - it goes over 50 degrees in games. But the fan speed on the HSF has gone up to 6000 rpm's.

So i ordered a coolermaster 212 and it should be in tomorrow.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
robor said:
Dude, thank you for everything. I think I'm almost good to go!

Two questions I must ask:

1. When looking at a PSU, what Gold 80+ would you recommend with this setup?

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K
GPU: ATi 6970 2GB
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Maximus IV Gene Z
RAM: Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB (2x4GB) Vengeance DDR3
SSD: Intel 320 Series
HDD: Samsung F4 2TB
CASE: microATX
OPTICAL DRIVE: ASUS DRW-24B3ST 24X DVDRW Drive
MONITOR: BenQ HD
COOLER: CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ CPU Cooler
SOUND CARD: ASUS Xonar ST

2. When you say "build mention that" about the mATX, what exactly do you mean? When I go into a store with my spec-sheet?

Anyways thanks again!

*edit* Forgot to mention that down the track, I'm also getting a 1080p monitor too.
Since you are in AUS(right?) I'm not positive on your availability, but a Seasonic 80+Gold, and Corsair AX series are the main top quality ones. There might be a large price premium on those though, I can't tell you.

Since you have an mATX motherboard you have some smaller case options available, but make sure that BOTH your 212+ and 6970 can fit.
Parl said:
Budget: Cheapo, in British pounds
Main Use: 1080p video playback, web browsing (no gaming)
Monitor Resolution: 1080p
Are reusing any parts?: All but mobo/CPU covered (DDR3 and DDR2 RAM floating about too)
When will you build?: Very soon
Will you be overclocking?: No

Wanting a good performance/price ratio for a mobo/CPU combo. Looking at the very cheap CPUs like E5700/E6600/X2 260 etc and cheap mobos. I've read a few times that AMD mobos offer better IGPs, but maybe that's the higher end because benchmarks seems to show the G41 intel ones on par with the £20-£25 more expensive Radeon HD 4250 ones. And if you want to pay about £35 for an AMD mobo like the £35 intel G41s, then you're stuck with Geforce 7025 which seems to be awful.
Cheapo doesn't mean anything to me. What is your system price?
If you are thinking pure playback an AM3 board + Fusion would be great.
Duxxy3 said:
I ended up getting a sapphire 6950 dual fan instead of the 560ti.

Got it in today and the temps compared to my 470 are fairly large - 25 degrees less in furmark.

Unfortunately because the 6950 doesn't exhause heat out the back it made the rest of my system warmer, particularly the CPU (with stock HSF). It's not getting incredibly hot - it goes over 50 degrees in games. But the fan speed on the HSF has gone up to 6000 rpm's.

So i ordered a coolermaster 212 and it should be in tomorrow.
Under 60C in gaming load is fine.

InertiaXr

So my girlfriend's laptop has a VGA port that I would like to use to output to my TV, which has HDMI only. I thought this type of cable would work just fine, but the reviews seem to say I need some converter box? Also, would there be any resolution issues? Even though her laptop has generic 'Intel HD Graphics', I didn't think there would be any issues with her computer outputting 720p or 1080p to a TV, but my friend told me that her laptop might be resolution restricted. I'm not trying to run any games on it or anything, just basic internet and some spreadsheet program for her work.

knitoe

InertiaXr said:
So my girlfriend's laptop has a VGA port that I would like to use to output to my TV, which has HDMI only. I thought this type of cable would work just fine, but the reviews seem to say I need some converter box? Also, would there be any resolution issues? Even though her laptop has generic 'Intel HD Graphics', I didn't think there would be any issues with her computer outputting 720p or 1080p to a TV, but my friend told me that her laptop might be resolution restricted. I'm not trying to run any games on it or anything, just basic internet and some spreadsheet program for her work.
You need a analog to digital converter. If you read the reviews for that cable on Amazon, people are saying the samething. And, yes, the video output could have limited resolution. Check the spec from the laptop's manufacturer.

InertiaXr

knitoe said:
You need a analog to digital converter. If you read the reviews for that cable on Amazon, people are saying the samething. And, yes, the video output could have limited resolution. Check the spec from the laptop's manufacturer.

So the only way to do this is to buy a $100 VGA to HDMI converter? I'm sure as hell not going to do that, what a joke.

As for the resolution thing, the laptop's specs only say Resolution: 1366 x 768, doesn't seem to say anything about 'max resolution', but I guess it's irrevelent anyways.

JackEtc

So I wanted to see if I could overclock my EVGA GTX 570 SC, so I read some forums.

I honestly have no idea what's up, or how to ACTUALLY judge this stuff, so I just copied some settings from various forum posts claiming success. Can someone tell me if this is okay?

mDUAl.png

The Big Rig said:
I'm getting weird purple/white stuttering while playing games when I have crossfire on. Is that common of a defective card?
Did you recently update your driver? If so, was it doing it before the update? Either way. Either try updating your driver to the newest, or roll back to the previous one if you are already on the newest. Report back.

EDIT: Be sure you uninstall the old driver before installing a new one, especially if you are rolling back.

Duxxy3 said:
I know - but 6000rpm is not ok. I'm sure the fan will handle it, but holy shit is that loud.

LOL. I'm going through the same thing as well. BF3 is killing my PC and no other game has come this close! :p

I am feeling the freaking heat. The fan is loud as fuck and It's hitting 55/60C when other games hit 45C and Idle is 30/35C.

NeoandGeo

Banned
JackEtc said:
So I wanted to see if I could overclock my EVGA GTX 570 SC, so I read some forums.

I honestly have no idea what's up, or how to ACTUALLY judge this stuff, so I just copied some settings from various forum posts claiming success. Can someone tell me if this is okay?

http://i.imgur.com/mDUAl.png/IMG][/QUOTE]

If you can successfully hit that clock and remain stable with that low of a voltage, then that is insanely good. :)

JackEtc

NeoandGeo said:
If you can successfully hit that clock with that low of a voltage, then that is insanely good. :)
I just adjusted it based on a few pics I saw of other users profiles, and hit apply. The computer didn't explode. How can I tell if I need to up the voltage? What should I up it to?

I mean, I'm good with computers, but I didn't even know OCing GPUs was a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom