• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

trejo said:
Damn straight. There's nothing like holding a physical copy of a book in your hands while you're reading it and turning the pages one by one.

Fuck trees.
Until those dastardly pages cut your fingers, then it's war.

Inazuma Eleven 62

It keeps true to the episode's name.

Jex

Trojita said:
It could easily be done using outlandish frilly dresses, like the rest of the countries that have been moeified
I feel that's pretty much cheating. Sure, it kind of worked for the UK. But to repeat their success adding a big dress is just lazy!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
icarus-daedelus said:
I'm aware. It's probably not permanent and I like physical copies of stuff, book smell, fuck Kindles, etc etc
Well if it's not urgent or anything I would strongly recommend waiting. Prices are going to crash on most things (including anime) in a month or two.

Jex

Lafiel said:
Why don't you watch the appartently superior first and second seasons?
This is actually a good question for firehawk12. The first two seasons of Natsume are actually great.

Jex

[Sacred Seven Finale]

Full disclosure: I have not watched this series in its entirety. Yes, I know it’s only twelve episodes long, but even then, I couldn’t be bothered with a fair number of them. I didn’t sit down and watch this finale because I love the show, but because I heard it was a decent conclusion. After Tiger and Bunny’s thoroughly disappointing ending I was really looking forward to a Sunrise show with a solid ending. Were my hopes misplaces?

Wherever the Tiger and Bunny failed, Sacred Seven appears to have succeeded. Time for a comparison!

Action and Animation

First and foremost, it’s animated and directed a lot better than it’s rival. While T&B does splash a little bit of cash around for its action sequences, the choreography is pretty lacklustre. In SS there are a number of fight sequences which are all well animated and more importantly it’s not just the fight sequences that look nice – the episode as a whole looks very solid, where T&B is disappointingly inconsistent.

This has been the case for most of the season. T&B has had a small handful of good looking action sequences, across its two cour run. where as SS does two or more every episode. I suppose Sunrise calculated that as T&B was fujoshi-bait, they didn’t need to actually pay any attention to the quality of the action.

This particular episode might not aim for the most elaborate fight sequences but they do really focus on large scale action, which is usually a way to make an action sequence seem “more awesome” without actually making it more complicated. But it sure looks great:

ss12b.jpg

Pacing

I must say, the T&B finale managed to drag, some how. Admittedly, I might simply have been bored because I couldn’t work out what the point of any of these story movements where, but still, it’s only 20 minutes. It shouldn’t feel like a drag.

SS, on the other hand, was really solid. It moved from scene to scene, event to event, fight to fight, without dragging any one particular sequence on. They did a good job of mixing up the type of event that was being shown as well. So it wasn’t just one 15 minute repetitive fight sequence. Good show.

Story and Tone

[Tiger and Bunny]

T&B wasn’t going for the realist drama with it’s characters but at least the world they acted in was relatively well defined and known. It was a fairly standard superhero setting, with a ‘mysterious’ (not at all) antagonist and a group of rouge super-powered people. Like I said, standard.

However, by the time the famous ‘third act’ rolls around everything has become very silly and the arrival of truly ‘moustache twirling’ (by which I mean stupid and over the top) bad-guy feels really out of the place for the kind of super-hero drama they were going for. Especially when he keep making speeches about how evil he is, where as other villains were largely criminals or people with some kind of cause or message. This bad guy is none of those things, he’s totally flat and boring as a character, with no real motivation or reason for any of his actions. While T&B has had a fairly ‘cheesy’ presentation it’s always gone for characterisation in everything, so this sudden shift in the last arc was noticeable.

This one dimensional bad guy is pretty out of place, and he was introduced just as a fairly large number of ongoing plots where swept under the rug and forgotten about, so that they could be dug up next season. The whole finale was focused on an event that was introduced simply for the point of having a climactic finale, it was completely artificial and it didn’t tie up or resolve any of the plot or character threads. In fact, certain characters actually lost character development and regressed. That’s really disappointing.

[Sacred Seven]

This show ends in the same manner that it begun. It feels like a natural extension of the earlier episodes in a number of ways, apart from just being visually consistent. Yes, the bad guys are totally over-the-top and silly but that’s the way the story has been presented: not very well, but it’s been consistent throughout the run (from what I can tell). Over the course of the episode all the characters actually achieve something and have…a real conclusion? It’s very predictable but it actually makes sense for the characters and goes in-line with what we’ve seen before. Like I said, it’s a silly over the top show with a weak story, but at least they have a finale that makes sense. It concludes things in a manner that’s unusual for a Sunrise property.

This isn’t really a recommendation on my part, just a straight observation. There’s no need to go out and watch either of these two episodes, but one is clearly a lot better than the other in pretty much every respect.

Jex

/XX/ said:
This is unconfirmed speculation, of course, but could be The Wind Rises (風立ちぬ) Mr. Miyazaki's next movie as a director? Well, some evidences suggest that it is.

And now that also on this month's CUT magazine there is an article with Mr. Miyazaki giving more information about the project, including the mention of the protagonist as a "Japanese man who developed weapons of war" (that would be Jiro Horikoshi, of course) and other revealing information, all apparently suggests that buddies like Xavier from Buta Connection (http://www.buta-connection.net/accueil) or Álvaro from Generación GHIBLI (http://generacionghibli.blogspot.com/2011/09/kaze-tachinu-podria-ser-la-nueva.html) are spot-on with this assumption...
That sounds rather serious for a Hayo Miyzaki project. I guess he's a fairly serious man when you read his interviews, so I suppose it's possible.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Regulus Tera said:
I feel depressed and down precisely because I love too much.

Fuck love.
really don't wanna make this a girl-age thread though
Could turn it into Boy-age instead!

When I get depressed, just gotta watch something I love. Ouran(Tamaki! <3), OverDrive(Shinozaki! <3), or Gravitation(Shuichi!! <3<3). What is life without passion and love.

scy

Dresden said:
Two worst things from two series combined into one:

http://i.imgur.com/WfQuSl.jpg[IMG]

Final season is called ZnT F.[/QUOTE]

All my Kugiloli shows are finally ending. I don't know how I feel about this.

Besides relief, anyway. And inevitable disappointment.

Jex

trejo said:
Utena 28

D-Did the two of them just
have sex in the back of Akio's moving car while he was riding in the hood with his shirt unbuttoned
? Please say it is so. Polished his sword, indeed
ideon_eye.gif

Lain

Dresden said:
Two worst things from two series combined into one:

WfQuSl.jpg

Final season is called ZnT F.
Worst? Looks like two great things combined together, nun loli tsundere voiced by Rie. GREAT!

Jex

Regulus Tera said:
I stopped at episode six. So I would lose nothing if I just jumped straight into the finale?
It's pretty much the only other episode worth watching anyway.

Kamisama Dolls Final

Was thinking this was a good stopping point... then the post-credits scene happened. What the fuck?

Anyone know what chapter in the manga the anime ends at?

Instro

cosmicblizzard said:
Kamisama Dolls Final

Was thinking this was a good stopping point... then the post-credits scene happened. What the fuck?

I think someone said it ended at ch.7 or so...?

Jex

trejo said:
Damn straight. There's nothing like holding a physical copy of a book in your hands while you're reading it and turning the pages one by one.

Fuck trees.
Get out of here, caveman.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
cosmicblizzard said:
Kamisama Dolls Final

No don't do it, you're falling into their trap!

The anime finishes the first 7 of the 9 volumes of the manga thus far. Not sure what's going on in the 2 volumes that haven't been covered, obviously something must happen.

It's a really interesting finale in a lot of ways. I really enjoyed it.

Instro

darkside31337 said:
No don't do it, you're falling into their trap!

The anime finishes the first 7 of the 9 volumes of the manga thus far. Not sure what's going on in the 2 volumes that haven't been covered, obviously something must happen.

It's a really interesting finale in a lot of ways. I really enjoyed it.
More of Hibino's tits probably.

Jex

trejo said:
No it didn't. Stop lying.
In all seriousness, anime has done okay. For the most part it's not that awful as a whole, and there's been plenty of good stuff as well.

No, really!

zeroshiki

Index is the most annoying "main" character ever. The show literally becomes twice better (2 x 0 = 0) whenever the episode has nothing to do with her.

Jex

zeroshiki said:
Index is the most annoying "main" character ever. The show literally becomes twice better (2 x 0 = 0) whenever the episode has nothing to do with her.
Worse than Haurhi? Surely you jest, sir.

icarus-daedelus said:
Dude, "silly, slightly risque comedy" sounds totally classy and you know it!

Best thing is, we can use the leftover blood spill for piña coladas! ^_^

Speaking of. I was going to finally kill two birds with one stone tonight (THOSE BIRDS DESERVED IT) by pouring one out for my fallen comrade Branduil while inebriating myself enough to handle the coming terror of the final three episodes of Arjuna. However, in a cruel twist of fate, now that I am legally able to imbibe, we have no alcohol whatsoever left in the house. No, not even Grampa's bathtub moonshine.

I will face these episodes alone, scared, and sober, but I will face them. For Branduil!

Branduil is no one's comrade. For one thing, he made you watch Arjuna.

Jex

Unknown Soldier said:
Branduil is no one's comrade. For one thing, he made you watch Arjuna.
Sometimes people like to share unique and memorable experiences with each other. It's beautiful.

zeroshiki

Jexhius said:
Worse than Haurhi? Surely you jest, sir.

Haruhi has redeeming qualities. I mean, she's funny at times and the absurd situations the characters get themselves into always revolve around here via something she did or PMS. There's also basically no reason to watch the show if you don't like her. Can't say the same for Index where you're basically begging the writers to not show her anymore.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
Or, I do care and I'm just childishly lashing out because I don't like being upstaged by a mind more pedantic than mine.

So where the hell did the word "cour" come from all of a sudden guys, or am I just extremely imperceptive and this has been a commonly used term all this time?
Dem googles says it's a technical term used by the Japanese industry. It's their version of season/series/whatever it is English people use.

http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showpost.php?p=1605604&postcount=6

Jex

zeroshiki said:
Haruhi has redeeming qualities. I mean, she's funny at times and the absurd situations the characters get themselves into always revolve around here via something she did or PMS. There's also basically no reason to watch the show if you don't like her. Can't say the same for Index where you're basically begging the writers to not show her anymore.
Okay, let me rephrase that. Worse than Makoto from School Days?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Regulus Tera said:
And that's why I never watched the Railgun/Index franchise.

Kugi is in the 2nd season of Index! Voices a loli with braided hair to boot.

Index is the worst female ever. I can't ever recall a show where the titular character gets pushed to the side that hard because everybody, the fans and the creators, realize she's a terrible character and literally every other female in the series is better than her.

Jexhius said:
Sometimes people like to share unique and memorable experiences with each other. It's beautiful.

familyguyretch.gif

Damn, now that I'm going to drop Shana, I'm not sure where to go in order get my next Rie fix. Maybe I'll try watching Zero no Tsukaima or something. Only 13 episodes for ZnT season 1 so it will likely be more like Badass Aria and less like Boring Shana. I hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom