• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's iOS Weekly Challenge: Bit.Trip Beat Blitz

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
GAF's iOS Weekly Challenge: Bit. Trip Beat Blitzhttp://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=31365052#post31365052 DAY 5
#game mode: Transition (World 1)

BIT.TRIP-BEAT-BLITZ.jpg

Download Bit. Trip Blitz on iTunes (Universal app, FREE with full game unlock @$0.99/€0.79/£0.69) 

Less than 48 hours to go!
Remember, these scores might be from a few hours ago!
Any score mistakenly validated during the week will be wiped out for the final results on Day7.

Current Results TOP 5- 32 players Total (score holders listed as Game Center profiles)

1) numble (9,066,772 points)
2) mik2121 (9,012,072 points)
3) -Pyromaniac- (7,186, 824 points)
4) Tunesmith (5,624,148 points)
5) jeff-level13 (2,086,271 points)

•Challenge's Times:

#STARTED September 29th, 04:00 (AM) GMT
#ENDS: October 6th, 00:01 (AM) GMT

Current GMT / World Time

t1317859500z0.png

Dash Kappei

Considering that we started with only 9 players total (LOL! Lowest ever, I knew this contest was damn risky because of many reasons thaf I've already talked about before) but it was also a nice little break from the huuuuge last two challenges).
In the end we might finish close to 35 partitipants, and looking at where we startes off I don't think that's bad at all!

That being sad, there's no doubt the nexf contest will focus on a nice and popular game to bring back GAF's iOS horde in full :D

Dash Kappei

GAF's iOS Weekly Challenge: Bit. Trip Beat Blitzhttp://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=31365052#post31365052 DAY 6

BIT.TRIP-BEAT-BLITZ.jpg

Download Bit. Trip Blitz on iTunes (Universal app, FREE with full game unlock @$0.99/€0.79/£0.69) 

Less than 29 hours to go until the end of the contest.
Crazy scores! Mik2121 proved to be an awesome Beat Blitz player, a great outsider who lead the competition from day1 and truly deserves to be up there, but it's incredible to see numble and Pyro fight for the top score once more... These guys are such incredibly competitive and talented players, videogames' highscoring is sure as hell their "thing" and they're here to prove it again and again in every contest they took part in so far: no matter the genre they're always right on top of the contests' leaderboard.
Also, I'm proud to say that once again one of our challenge brought Gaffers taking many of the top spots on the All Time Leaderboards, with numble and Mik2121 reaching respectively #2 and #3 in the World :D

Remember, these scores might be from a few hours ago!
Any score mistakenly validated during the week will be wiped out for the final results on Day7.

Current Results - 32 players Total (score holders listed as Game Center profiles)

339447643.48952848nn.jpg

339448407.591297m8mo.jpg

339448642.575361f8ar.jpg

339448703.386075f8up.jpg

•Challenge's Times:

#STARTED September 29th, 04:00 (AM) GMT
#ENDS: October 6th, 00:01 (AM) GMT

Current GMT / World Time

t1317859500z0.png

Dash Kappei

24 hours to go!
Time to hook up the wifi and start playing again, if you guys wondered why my score stayed the same since day1 it's because 3G has been crapping all over me, making the game a mess to play (iOS games stutter like bitches whenever the connection drops from 3G to EDGE to 64kbps) so that I'd always give up before submittingna score. FUCK!
Butin a few hours I will set up a rock solid wifi connection on purpose so that I can steamroll some gaffers above me ob the leaderboard :D

t1317859500z0.png

Mik2121

Trust me, it hurts lol. Worst thing is, I'm on the airport now and I'll be here for the next 8 hours (ugh..) but for some reason my iPod Touch don't wanna connect to the wireless of the airport, so I can't upload any new records (not that I got any, but if I could I would give it a bunch of tries.. got enough time lol)

Dash Kappei

Mik2121 said:
Trust me, it hurts lol. Worst thing is, I'm on the airport now and I'll be here for the next 8 hours (ugh..) but for some reason my iPod Touch don't wanna connect to the wireless of the airport, so I can't upload any new records (not that I got any, but if I could I would give it a bunch of tries.. got enough time lol)
Damn, I feel for you brother ;)

Dash Kappei

GAF's iOS Weekly Challenge: Bit. Trip Beat Blitzhttp://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=31365052#post31365052 RESULTS

BIT.TRIP-BEAT-BLITZ.jpg

Well, our fifth GAF's iOS Challenge is over!

Many, many thanks go to user/dev PetriRMD from Rovio who offered the top prize, also thanks to numble who offered the Spy Mouse codes.
Prizes for second place and for the raffle have been offered by yours truly ;)
Well, let's end this, shall we?

~
:drumrolls:
~

Congratulations, numble

Damn, it's a curse! What can we say if not congrats to numble who once again topped one of our contests, and a pat on the back goes to Mik2121 who lead the competion till the day before and came so close that you can feel his pain ahah... Bravo Mik!
-Pyromaniac- who also confirms one again that he's a force to be reckoned with, closes the podium. Once again, thanks to everyone who has played, hopefully you had fun even if you placed in the lower spots :)

•1st Place: numble - Angry Birds' plushie

•2nd Place: mik2121 - Xtreme Wheels appgift (US)

•3rd Place: -Pyromaniac- -Spy Mouse gamecode (US)

•4th Place: Tunesmith -Spy Mouse gamecode (US)

•5th Place: Hige99 -Spy Mouse gamecode (US)

•6th Place: jeff-level13 -Spy Mouse gamecode (US)

•Raffle's Winner: #22 number1jagsfan - Bit Pilot appgift (US)

Final Results: 33 participants (1 retired) - Players listed as Game Center profiles

339553254.2858269utk.jpg

339554398.320534p8m0.jpg

jlevel13

Amazing, third challenge I've participated in and my third 6th place finish in a row! I feel like I could have done better, but really only played the game through 6 or so times - the week seemed to go pretty fast (maybe this one needed a month?).

I'd be curious to find out why this game had so many less participants? Was there confusion between the two different versions? Did people try the free version and decide they didn't like it? Or is it because it was an older(? not sure when it originally came out) game and they were already sick of it? What was the turn off? Or is just everybody a little more busy this time of year?

It took me a couple of tries to get used to the controls & once I did it was a little hand cramping, but it's not like it's a bad game. When you get in a groove, it's actually quite fun. One thing I liked about this challenge over the others was the lack of randomness to deal with. Very fair game for a high score competition since it's exactly the same every time, like a CAVE shooter, for instance (hint hint). In theory, I always liked how you could practice each little segment and perfect it. In practice, I didn't have the time to do that, but I may still go on to keep working at it for the next month and try to move up & also set some scores on the other levels.

Dash Kappei

In the end I played the game just four or five times myself, couldn't play during the week since my 3G was dropping constantly, but I also knew Beat from Wiiware so I had an advantage (in fact my first try was 1.5M which is my second top score). Sucks 'cause I wanted to play it more.

As for the huge dropoff in participants, I think each one of those you cited are good enough reasons, plus probably the fact that the game isn't compatible with older iDevices (sorry Wario!), the fact that when the game was chosen ZERO gaffers had it alreadu and only 9 gaffers where there Day 1 (we usually started with 25/35 gaffers). Also maybe someone tried the Wiiware or Steam port and didn't like the game, or didn't go through with the full unlock after having tried the game (seems crazy to me, but hey :p). I knew it was gonna end as a much smaller contest, but after days and days we couldn't find the right game for a challenge and I decided to step up and make it Blitz.

Next time we'll choose a popular game :)

Edit:
RIP Steve :'(

Hige

jlevel13 said:
I'd be curious to find out why this game had so many less participants? Was there confusion between the two different versions? Did people try the free version and decide they didn't like it? Or is it because it was an older(? not sure when it originally came out) game and they were already sick of it? What was the turn off? Or is just everybody a little more busy this time of year?
I think it helps that Mr. Ninja and Hard Lines both went free a couple weeks before the contest. The other games (Canabalt and Flick Kick Football) are practically iOS staples, so more people probably owned those already.

This game was tough! I only played about 7 or 8 times since each round takes so long and my hand kept cramping up. I think I would have made more attempts if the game was shorter.

Dash Kappei

Just an heads up to anyone who still hasn't claimed their prize yet:
Once again, remember that the codes will expire on October 15, nothing I can do past midnight of October 14 to make the codes work, you've been warned!

Dash Kappei

Mik2121 said:
This was a great challenge! How/when will we decide the next challenge game?

I'm up for ANYTHING! :)
As soon as the right game comes along or we decide for an old popular game!
Suggestions people, suggestions :)

Top Bottom