• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's iOS Weekly Challenge: Bit.Trip Beat Blitz

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
335146322.581975skuj.jpg

-

It's that time again!
I've set up everything thru my iPad, so I'm sorry if it isn't that good looking or there are some typos :)
Credits to teamaxe for all the banners and to Flunkie for the Touch Gaming's op!

Following the smashing successes of CANANBALT, MR. NINJA, FLICK KICK FOOTBALL's and HARD LINES contests, here's the new
GAF's iOS WEEKLY CHALLENGE!

It's not at all forbidden to post about the challenge in the Touch Gaming |OT|, like we did with Tiny Wings and many other games of course, but this specific thread is here with the purpose to avoid the flood of posts sinking all the others for a whole week in the TG's thread.
We also have prizes, plenty of awesome goods for you guys to earn!
If you're a DEVELOPER and would like to put up some prizes (no matter how "little"!) related to your game/s (a few AppStore's codes, swag, anything!) for the next challenges, just CONTACT ME via PM. Also, if you're a fellow Gaffer who wants to just throw some little prize the way of our challenges, shoot me a PM!
Check below for all the infos.

The game chosen is:

•Bit. Trip Beat BLITZ
(don't mix it up with the other two Beat Trip apps! This one's universal and called BLITZ!)
#GAME MODE: Transition
(Normal or Easy difficulty, to change settings click the >> icon and then Options)

mzl.idnksnyw.480x480-75.jpg

"Wiiware's seminal retro cult hits the Appstore and it encapsulates everything iOS gaming can be with its beautiful visuals and extraordinary soundtrack coming together for an hard-as-nails arcade experience"

mzl.fxuxoozk.320x480-75.jpg

Eurogamer "A brisk, radiant creation, presenting a nostalgic celebration of the medium's beginnings as well as a bold testament to how those narrow compulsions that inspired people to play videogames thirty years ago are, in fact, timeless."

BIT.TRIP-BEAT-BLITZ.jpg

Download Bit. Trip Blitz on iTunes (Universal app, FREE with full game unlock @$0.99/€0.79/£0.69) 
What are you downloading: think of it as a XBLA demo, it gives a clear-cut idea of the game and you just need to unlock the full game to get all the levels and be able to take part in the challenge.

•Challenge's Times:

#STARTS September 29th, 04:00 (AM) GMT
#ENDS: October 6th, 00:01 (AM) GMT Update: it's OVER!

Current GMT / World Time

t1317859500z0.png

-RULES:

•To participate you just need the game and to add me on Game Center (Dash Kappei GAF). As soon as you fire up the game and play it for the first time while being signed in Game Center, you'll be part of the Challenge. That's it.
*Add "From GAF," and your nickname on GAF or I won't add you*.
•GAFFers only, I won't accept requests from non-gaffers. Sorry lurkers.
•Check the Master List Membership (info section below) if you want to add others, but being on the list isn't mandatory to play.
•Scores are valid only for the "This Week" section on the leadearboards and those scores made before the challenge won't be counted for the full final results, even if mistakenly counted during the challenge.
•You can still enter the Challenge even if it has already started, granted I'm able to accept your GC's friend request on time. You can join the contest at any time, even if there's just an hour to go.
•Posting your new scores in this thread is encouraged as well as posting your Game Center profile for others to check on your score when you do so. This is not at all mandatory anyway.

-PRIZES

Swag! Game Download Codes! A friendly pat on the back!

338965848.6135975d5v.jpg

So, Rovio has opened their online Angry Birds shop, and our very own fellow gaffer PetriRMD from Rovio kindly offered cool swag for the winner, which in fact will be awarded with one 5" Angry Bird's plush toy of his choice from the official Rovio's Angry Bird Shop.

Second place will be awarded with one Xtreme Wheels download code (US).

We also have a 4 download codes (US) for Spy Mouse for scores #3 to #6, and a Bit Pilot download code (US) for the raffle between all participants.

This week's prizes have been donated by:
NeoGAF's dev/member PetriRMD of Rovio's fame for the plush toy!
Dash Kappei put up the prize for 2nd place and also for the raffle (needs US account)
numble contributed with 6 codes for Spy Mouse (needs US account)
~

-Useful LINKS:

Angry Bird's Official Shop

NeoGAF's Touch Gaming Thread

GAF's iOS Weekly Challenge [1] - Cananbalt  (ends on page357)

GAF's iOS Weekly Challenge [2] - Mr. Ninja

GAF's iOS Weekly Challenge [3] - Flick Kick Football

GAF's iOS Weekly Challenge [4] - Hard Lines

~
1Y5kx.png

NeoGaf's Game Center Master List

• Send Dash Kappei a PM if you want to be added to the list or taken off the list, following this EXACT same text formatting 

GAF Name = Name [GC] / Name [OF] / Name [Plus+] / Device
(e.g. Dash Kappei / Dash Kappei GAF / Dash Kappei GAF / none / iPad)

Dash Kappei

icon.png

• CANABALT / FINAL RESULTS -All Scores 63 participants

Congratulations, DYNAMITE RINGO MATSURI aka Zazen_Incidents!

336548860.227366qugp.jpg

i423513095_jpg_180x180_q85.jpg

• MR. Ninja / FINAL RESULTS -All Scores 74 participants

Congratulations, KOODO!

334458333.944468yfqz.jpg

i421764869_jpg_180x180_q85.jpg

• Flick Kick Football / FINAL RESULTS -All Scores 109 participants

Congratulations, NUMBLE!

335754062.500410jepc.jpg

hardlines_iconpdsx.jpg

• Hard Lines / FINAL RESULTS -All Scores 98 participants

Congratulations, -Pyromaniac-!

337184560.8997645e9m.jpg

jlevel13

First try got me into the top 25%, but I must say, I really don't like the way this one controls... Having to have my finger constantly sliding along the ipad screen for 10 minutes is somewhat unpleasant - also most of the times I missed was because I accidentally lifted my finger or it slipped, whatever... Game is alright, but first third is really boring. Sorry for a somewhat negative post :(

Dash Kappei

jlevel13 said:
First try got me into the top 25%, but I must say, I really don't like the way this one controls... Having to have my finger constantly sliding along the ipad screen for 10 minutes is somewhat unpleasant - also most of the times I missed was because I accidentally lifted my finger or it slipped, whatever... Game is alright, but first third is really boring. Sorry for a somewhat negative post :(

Not at all, you're entitled to your own opinion of course. I don't agree in the slightest, I consider this is a retro-gaming masterpiece with incredible visual and audio flair, even if I can definitely see how it could be tiring on the finger if played on a certain way. Anyway, what's cool is that you can try the game before paying for it
:)
I'd say the only somewhat "boring" (on easy?) part could be level till 1-3 vut after that it ramps up a lot, in fact I don't see many people beating the world on normal before getting very good at it. and if I had chosen World 3 (or even 2) I think maybe 10% of the players would have been able to have a decent score, so that wasn't feasible.

Dash Kappei

Dash Kappei said:
guys, remember to select NORMAL DIFFICULTY under options.

Although I just noticed that EASY and NORMAL leaderboards are not separated? So of course you guys can choose whatever you prefer, but I'm wondering anyone has noticed what's different between the two? Does normal gives more point or is just faster (in that case playing on Easy mode would be more fair)

I just finished one game a little bit ago, I played on the default mode. I'm guessing that's normal...

Also the game definitely doesn't let you lift your finger, but at the end of every round when you get the colourful blocks you can move it around take a little 2 second break.

jlevel13 said:
what was your score

Dash Kappei

-Pyromaniac- said:
I just finished one game a little bit ago, I played on the default mode. I'm guessing that's normal...

Also the game definitely doesn't let you lift your finger, but at the end of every round when you get the colourful blocks you can move it around take a little 2 second break.

what was your score

Yeah, that's how I do it as well, I now that I'm kinda good at it
I also play some section using my left hand's finger while resting my right hand's (since you can use the whole screen to slide), I'm crazy like that :D

Btw, DEFAULT MODE = EASY
I changed the OP to free choice on Normal or Easy, since leaderboards aren't separated I guess everyine will start easy and in case switch to normal if they want to ramp up their highscores.

Also, we started with 9 players total (LOL! Lowest ever, this contest is damn risky ahah) but we're already up to 19 players, not bad! :)

I'm not noticing much of a difference between the two difficulty levels, maybe I'm blind.

People will join, they cannot resist the plush.

jlevel13

I'm pretty sure the difference between easy and normal is that you can miss more bits before dropping down a level. Also maybe in easy you can't fail out (just a guess)?

Had a second go, concentrating on not lifting my finger accidentally and almost doubled my first score to 611,522. Obviously still lots of room for improvement / still missed lots of bits and dropped down to the b&w pong style twice.

Dash Kappei

-Pyromaniac- said:
Maybe it has something to do with extra lives you get? Which wouldn't really effect this challenge. Who knows.

Yes, I think that's it you're a genius... i was going crazy.
At least, I hope you're right ahaha

jlevel13 said:
I'm pretty sure the difference between easy and normal is that you can miss more bits before dropping down a level. Also maybe in easy you can't fail out (just a guess)?

Had a second go, concentrating on not lifting my finger accidentally and almost doubled my first score to 611,522. Obviously still lots of room for improvement / still missed lots of bits and dropped down to the b&w pong style twice.
yeah maybe that's it, but it's hard to tell.

Fox Mulder

jlevel13 said:

Yeah, I got 779k with a few horrible fails near the end. Much room to improve.

Mik2121

Wow Dash, you got 1,513,893 points!!? :O

I only have 661,141... need to practice some more :(

Also for anyone else playing this challenge, add me if you want! - Mik2121

BTW, with the coming of iOS5 we should be able to see friends of our friends right? Which means we would have access to the GAF master list. Hopefully compare trophies there too?
Oh and I like how 'Today' we are only 12 people on the global leaderboard. Hahaha :p

gah the touch controls feel so ... sluggish (on iphone). tilt feels a bit too sensitive for a game that can potentially last a long time per run.

Jonnyram

The only thing I don't like about touch controls is that it's not 1:1.
It's like it uses the full height of the screen, to move only the field part of the screen. It takes some getting used to, especially for balls (!?) at the top and bottom.

Dash Kappei

chickdigger802 said:
gah the touch controls feel so ... sluggish (on iphone). tilt feels a bit too sensitive for a game that can potentially last a long time per run.

Don't have a problem with touch controls but tilt are worhtless on iPad.
I loved the tilt wiimote controls when I played the Wii version of the series...

Anyway, ahah yeah Mik, my previous score was like 400k and I almost feel guilty now to be number1 for once... We all know it won't last long :p

__
Edit: anybody here sent me a friend request from
Game Center profile CYLKK?

Dash Kappei

Fusebox said:
I would LOVE to know the story behind this awesome pic!

"If Ottumwa has any legacy in video games it is owed to the out-and-out miracle of self-promotion wrought by Day, who put an arcade there in 1981 called Twin Galaxies. Video gaming was in its nova stage as a pop culture phenomenon, and in a January 1982 cover story on the craze, Time magazine reported that 15 million was the highest mark ever achieved on Defender, the iconic side-scrolling space shooter from the first arcade boom, literally engineered to provide an average of 90 seconds of gameplay. One of Day's local players set out to beat that score and did so, racking up 24 million in front of a tremendous crowd and a media throng.

Day contacted Williams Electronics, the maker of Defender, to ask if they would certify the score as the highest ever. Williams didn't keep such records. It didn't know what the highest score was for this game. Neither did any other game maker for theirs. The only one with anything close to a comprehensive database of scores was Day himself, who had gathered as many as he could from visits to more than 100 arcades he'd made while scouting out a good location to open one.

So Day did the only thing he could think to do - he certified the score as the world record, the first one recognized by Twin Galaxies. Then he called the leading game manufacturers and recommended they refer all high score inquiries -they got dozens per day - over to him. Within minutes his arcade got an inquiry, via Midway, about a high score on Galaga. From that first query a quarter century ago to today, Twin Galaxies, of Ottumwa, Iowa, is acknowledged as the sanctioning authority for all scores, times, marks and achievements in video gaming, arcade or console.

More than just a few game companies and industry media took notice. Mainstream outlets seeking a sense-of-place location for features on the video games inevitably sent reporters to Ottumwa, thanks to Mayor Jerry Parker's shrewd proclamation of the town, on Nov. 30, 1982, as the Video Games Capital of the World. "The Dodge City of Video Games" is how a wire service put it, with world class players from all over the country, and others too, having their showdowns in Ottumwa's "Video Game Olympics." Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad, joined by top Atari executives, would visit Ottumwa. Ultimately, Life magazine took a picture that became representative of America in the thrall of its first video game love: Sixteen guys, all elite players, lined up in the middle of Main Street behind six arcade cabinets and a cohort of Ottumwa High cheerleaders."

from 'Claim to Fame' by Owen Good.

Mik2121

Wooo! I got to around 1,130,000 points, that's close to twice my earlier best score, yay!.

Also, the game sorta 'jumps' (framerate goes to shit) when there's a lot happening, which has made me miss a few balls already (and break a pretty big combo I had going on...). I'm on a third gen touch... :/

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I'm in, but so far I stink :D.

Neither control method seems great to me so far. Touch is exhaustive and prone to non-friction (wish the "bar" would remain in its position even when you reposition your finger) and tilt is not as accurate as I'd like.

Mik2121

Yup, I think I'll leave it at that for a couple days until someone gets closer or gets over my record. I know a lot of people is around the 2mil mark, so I guess it's not that hard.

Mik2121

Hahah! Damnit! I will try tomorrow (2am here already). My thumb hurts a bit from playing this game, so I'll let it rest a bit...

That's my strategy, get a high score early then I can relax till somebody beats it before playing again. So take your time folks. I'm sure someone will beat it eventually with some ridiculous 5 million score, but lets wait a while for that to happen.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Seems this game doesn't sync offline scores :( 2.9mil session. Oh well this seems kinda easy :p 1.05mil recorded. I'll get another high one I'm sure!

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I foolishly played while having a pint in a non-3G covered bar. Edge connectivity doesn't play nice with Game Center around these parts.

Better luck tomorrow!

Dash Kappei

^^^^
bwahahahah, I love you man :D

Tunesmith said:
I foolishly played while having a pint in a non-3G covered bar. Edge connectivity doesn't play nice with Game Center around these parts.

Better luck tomorrow!

Lol, I do that all the times, loved wifi Mario Kart DS back in the day in my pub, I swear I didn't look nerdy at all :p
Lots of pubs in London have free wifi (or at least it was open, eheh) dunno where you're located tho

jlevel13

Screwed up somehow on the next to last level and died without even getting to the boss and still ended up in 33rd place on the all-time leaderboard. This was my third time trying the game! Just goes to show you how seriously hopeless most iOS leaderboards and gamers are.

Fusebox

Banned
Dash Kappei said:
. Ultimately, Life magazine took a picture that became representative of America in the thrall of its first video game love: Sixteen guys, all elite players, lined up in the middle of Main Street behind six arcade cabinets and a cohort of Ottumwa High cheerleaders."

from 'Claim to Fame' by Owen Good.

Thanks for the story Dash, very interesting stuff!

jlevel13 said:
Screwed up somehow on the next to last level and died without even getting to the boss and still ended up in 33rd place on the all-time leaderboard. This was my third time trying the game! Just goes to show you how seriously hopeless most iOS leaderboards and gamers are.
the all time leaderboard isn't that huge though, it's only at 1000 people give or take.

Mik2121

-Pyromaniac- said:
the all time leaderboard isn't that huge though, it's only at 1000 people give or take.
Your turn....

(5th global position with 4,169,623 points, and someone took you out of the 6th, so you're 7th now)

Mik2121

Wooops... I'm 4th on the Global Ranking now with 6,259,549 points. I'll stop playing until someone gets close to me or above. I bet it will be today, hahaha :p

Top Bottom