• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 PC Performance thread

TylerD

GuessWho said:
damnit, game keeps crashignt o desktop after about 5 minutes of gameplay. EVERYTIME
have a pheno xII 955 with a 560ti video card. Any suggestions/

A lot of people have been reporting success with down clocking their 560 ti to stock clock speeds. I think 800 mhz is stock.

I have a Zotac 560 ti OC which is set at 850 mhz out of the box and I havent been having issues with crashing to desktop but there are a lot of others that have.

Having a problem with Fullscreen and Mouse on my Laptop. Whenever it's in full screen, I can see the mouse cursor and move it, but I can't click on anything. Also I can't see the intro movies, or the button prompts for the QTE's.

I've already updated to the preview drivers with CAP3. That made it so I could at least go into Fullscreen, but I have these probs.

kIdMuScLe

HOLY shit! Sorry for the rant again. i am so fukin annoyed by this shit already! after it took me a while to properly get it running yesterday (i was doing about 45fps on Ultra minus any AA fx) i am pissed now cuz the game will run at 25-30fps and choke while there is explosions and smoke on-screen. It doesn't matter if have it at ultra or low settings at 800x600, 1280x720 or 1920x1080 the results will always be the same!!!! Should i just do a full re-format of my HDD and do a clean install? I'm so fuckin raging at this shitty release... >:|

specs:

AMD X4 B35 cpu @ 2.90
Stock XFX 6870 1GB
12GB ddr3 @1333mhz

experiencing a lot of graphical bugs (black directional arrows, guns/roads/sky/cargo container textures turn purple) someone told me to change the resolution to something else then switch back.. did that and the problem gets a lot worse, Intel i5 2500K 8GB RAM 1GB GTX 460 SSC

knitoe

mercenar1e said:
experiencing a lot of graphical bugs (black directional arrows, guns/roads/sky/cargo container textures turn purple) someone told me to change the resolution to something else then switch back.. did that and the problem gets a lot worse, Intel i5 2500K 8GB RAM 1GB GTX 460 SSC
Any video card that comes factory overclocked and you are getting graphic glitches, first thing I would do is run the card at it's stock speed and test. Sometimes, those overclocks are very stable

knitoe said:
Any video card that comes factory overclocked and you are getting graphic glitches, first thing I would do is run the card at it's stock speed and test. Sometimes, those overclocks are very stable

never had these problems with any other game.. what's the stock speed for the 460?

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Disabling hyperthreading didn't do anything to resolve my stuttering issues, which sucks, because I really want to play this. :\

What drivers are you using? I had massive stuttering until i did the following.

- uninstalled amd drivers
- ran drivesweeper
- installed 11.10 prev 3 drivers
- disable cloud save

Do not intall any cab profiles if you are using the preview drivers.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Red Blaster said:
With HBAO and MSAA on I sometimes get a MASSIVE framerate drop where I'll sludge around in the teens for like 20-30 seconds. It goes away if I alt-enter and then alt-enter again. Is this me running out of VRAM? I'm on a Factory OC'd 570.

Unless your GTX is a 2/3GB version MSAA will eat its VRAM for breakfast.
MSAA is the devil for everyone with less than 2GB of Ram.

People who think it isnt killing them are in denial or running at a very low res...MSAA + High Res + Ultra textures = Instant VRam overload.

Turn down(read as off) - Deferred Anti-Aliasing, the performance hit : Visual quality ratio is not worth it IMO.

Black_Stride said:

People who think it isnt killing them are in denial or running at a very low res...MSAA + High Res + Ultra textures = Instant VRam overload.

Turn down(read as off) - Deferred Anti-Aliasing, the performance hit : Visual quality ratio is not worth it IMO.

I run everything on Ultra including 4x MSAA and my framerate goes as high as 70 FPS on my GTX 580 (1.5 GB VRAM). Really does depend on the card itself. Stuttering started happening for me because the game doesn't play nice with HT for some reason. Really stupid oversight from DICE.

JJBro One

BigBlackGamer said:
I run everything on Ultra including 4x MSAA and my framerate goes as high as 70 FPS on my GTX 580 (1.5 GB VRAM). Really does depend on the card itself. Stuttering started happening for me because the game doesn't play nice with HT for some reason. Really stupid oversight from DICE.
What's ur build and the cost?

JJBro One said:
What's ur build and the cost?

i7 930 overclocked to 3.8
GTX 580 Lightning overclocked to 950mhz
6gb Ram

I had a 5870 -> 6970 -> GTX 580 so total cost is kind of blurred. 580 Lightning is a helluva single GPU card for the price though. It already comes OC'd and you can OC it even more. I've seen 10-20 FPS difference from a lightning at 950mhz vs. a stock 580 in certain games (never runs past 70c either at full load). I don't see these VRAM bottlenecks that people are talking about either with it.

Dries

Jtrizzy said:
This sounds similar to what I'm seeing. Mouse movement makes everything jittery but when I move w/o moving the mouse it looks right.

Also wondering if anyone is using 3D Vision? It's not lining up correctly for me.

Yep. Same issue for me.

Have you guys found a solution yet? Changing raw mouse on or off doesn't make a difference. Also, adjusting the sensitivity also doesn't change anything.

It's like we need a third party mouse smoother software or something. Does something like that exist?

BigBlackGamer said:
i7 930 overclocked to 3.8
GTX 580 Lightning overclocked to 950mhz
6gb Ram

I had a 5870 -> 6970 -> GTX 580 so total cost is kind of blurred. 580 Lightning is a helluva single GPU card for the price though. It already comes OC'd and you can OC it even more. I've seen 10-20 FPS difference from a lightning at 950mhz vs. a stock 580 in certain games (never runs past 70c either at full load). I don't see these VRAM bottlenecks that people are talking about either with it.

at what resolution though?

Doc Holliday said:
What drivers are you using? I had massive stuttering until i did the following.

- uninstalled amd drivers
- ran drivesweeper
- installed 11.10 prev 3 drivers
- disable cloud save

Do not intall any cab profiles if you are using the preview drivers.
I use an NVIDIA card. I always do clean installs for my drivers. I and many other had the same issue in the beta.

Dries said:
Have you guys found a solution yet? Changing raw mouse on or off doesn't make a difference. Also, adjusting the sensitivity also doesn't change anything.

It's like we need a third party mouse smoother software or something. Does something like that exist?
Nothing. :(

EGM92

Having a problem with performance

System:

2600K 5.0ghz
16GB DDR3 1600
5970x2 OC'd 870/1200
1080p, MSAA 2x, AF 16x, FXAA High. Everything on ultra
When I run the game I'm getting 30-50fps. In the beta I was getting 50-90fps. When I look at my GPU usage GPU1 is running at 99% while GPU2 is spiking and dropping going no higher than 40%, when it spikes it instantly drops to 0 then spikes again to 15-40% usage.

I'm running 11.10 Preview 3 with Cap 4 profiles, I'm not getting stuttering but just poor performance. Suggestions?

squared

So I figured it really can't be neither a VRAM issue or SLI issue last night, when I was trying MP..

Again, setup is i5 @ 4Ghz, 2x GTX 460 1GB SLI (OC'd, 850 core/2000 mem), 4Gb 1600Mhz RAM and latest nVidia drivers.

I could play on 1080p Ultra (though 2xAA/Medium Post AA/SSAO) with SLI enabled for a while, then I get MASSIVE unplayable stuttering, freezeframed for like 3 seconds at a time.

Tried again on another server/map - could play for about 15 minutes to the end of the match quite problem free, some drops here and there.

Next map, played for about 10 minutes, then the bad drops started again, so I quit.

Next time, new map and server, but this time lowered the settings to 1680x1050, High instead of Ultra on all settings, and 8x Anisotropic filtering, my setup should handle this just fine. Did it work? Nope, still unplayable after a little while.

Next test, disable SLI. same settings as above. Was telling myself it was a bit better, but the stuttering came anyway, just that it may have taken a bit longer to happen, but all my tests have been on different maps, so it's still not conclusive to anything.

I'm thinking there's something very wrong with the drivers or the game..

Jtrizzy

Dries said:

I mess with the dpi adjuster in game on my mouse, slow down mouse sensitivity etc so it isn't as jarring.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Black_Stride said:

That's a tad hyperbolic. VRAM usage, in my case, has peaked at 1207MB (which is nice as I have a 1280MB GTX 570). I'm running the game at 1680x1050, applicable settings set to Ultra, "High" PPAA, 2xMSAA and SSAO.

Dries

Jtrizzy said:
I mess with the dpi adjuster in game on my mouse, slow down mouse sensitivity etc so it isn't as jarring.

Dpi adjuster? Inform me, bro...

I remember Crysis 1 having a ''smooth'' mouse function which solved the issues I'm having. That's what I need!

Jtrizzy

Dries said:
Dpi adjuster? Inform me, bro...

I remember Crysis 1 having a ''smooth'' mouse function which solved the issues I'm having. That's what I need!

I have a Logitech gaming mouse and there are buttons that let you adjust the dpi on the fly. There is also a place to adjust it in Setpoint if you are using a logitech.

As a side note, I am having trouble assigning buttons on my mouse other than the l/r buttons.

Dries

Yeah, I got a Logitech. A B110 optical USB mouse to be precise. Never heard of setpoint though.. But say if I had mouse with lower DPI, that should fix the problem? Cause that's my problem, my mouse movements are too ''raw''.

Btw, that's not the same problem as ''negative acceleration'', right?

Also wondering if this problem relates to BF3 or my mouse. I do notice the over-sensitivity in other games, but it didn't bother me too much then. I'm guessing the former. I'm gonna ask again, does anyone know some kind of third party software which will ''smooth'' mouse input?

Dries

Kevin said:
For single player, how are the framerates for this game on max settings using the GTX 590?

My specs:

i5 2500K 3.3ghz
8 gig ram
Ati 6970 2 GIG
1920 x 1080

My fps for SP with ultra everything is always between 35-45. 50 in calm places. Hope this helps.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
PnCIa said:
Geforce 240m
i7-720QM
4 GB RAM
Latest Nvidia drivers

No matter which settings i try, the game has this weird stuttering going, i guess it is the same that is mentioned in the OP. The framerate doesn´t seem to be the problem though, weird. WTF Dice, Rage ran flawless since day 1 :(
What's you average framerate? The GT 240M isn't even half as fast as the minimum GPU requirement..

Tripwood

Running on
Q6600 @3.2GHz
GTX 560 Ti 1GB
4GB DDR2
with a Corsair VX450W power supply

Medium, 2xMSAA for a solid 60 to 80fps in general at 1680*1050.

I've been having a lot of trouble with the game due to constant lockups and crashing every 5-10min.

After updating everything I could the problem still remained.

Finally, after lowering the core and shader clock on the the graphic card by 50Mhz the game if finally running stable. Haven't had a crash or any other problem with it since.

But, now I'm worried about 2 things.
First, having to lower the clock speeds for stability tells me my brand new GPU might have some serious issues.
Second, this might have something to do with the PSU, 450W might not be enough.

Both of these suck ass, since I don't want to wait for the new GPU if I decide to return it, and I spend all my money on the damn thing so I can't really buy a new PSU.

/sadface

Card Boy

Banned
I think i might wait for some patches before playing again. Excellent game but very serious hardware problems across the board. I wonder if it will be fixed before MW3 comes out?

Noone have an answer for this yet?

I can run the SP at ultra with high FPS (looks 60fps) with MSAA off and AA post on low, but when i joined multiplayer the game was running close to 60fps at the start then it keep on deteriorating in FPS and went into single digits till the game crashes and went to desktop.

Not sure if this is the stuttering the OP mentions

Have
i7-870 (OC'ed to 3.03Ghz)
1gig HD5870 (OC'ed to 925/1300)
4gigs Ram
1920x1080

I dont think its overheating as the GPU doesn't really go above 60*celcius. If anything its it the mid 50's tops. Just wondering if what i'm describing is the stuttering people are talking about?

Manager

Gez said:
I think i might wait for some patches before playing again. Excellent game but very serious hardware problems across the board. I wonder if it will be fixed before MW3 comes out?

Noone have an answer for this yet?

I dont think its overheating as the GPU doesn't really go above 60*celcius. If anything its it the mid 50's tops. Just wondering if what i'm describing is the stuttering people are talking about?

From reading the thread, it seems to be a VRAM issue. You only have 1gb while the game use more when on higher settings. Try lowering Textures. MSAA is another hogger but you already had that off.

Card Boy

Banned
Manager said:
From reading the thread, it seems to be a VRAM issue. You only have 1gb while the game use more when on higher settings. Try lowering Textures. MSAA is another hogger but you already had that off.

I got shadows on High instead of Ultra and it still happens. Anything else i should lower without ruining the overall IQ? What does HBAO and Mesh Quality do?

Anyone have any luck running the game with mid to lower end specs?
What kind of performance are you getting?

I'm talking C2D, and 8800 or 9800 cards

simonski

TylerD said:
A lot of people have been reporting success with down clocking their 560 ti to stock clock speeds. I think 800 mhz is stock.

I have a Zotac 560 ti OC which is set at 850 mhz out of the box and I havent been having issues with crashing to desktop but there are a lot of others that have.

850 (from 900) did it for me. Thanks to those who've suggested it - I was pulling my hair out.

Phandy

Gez said:
I got shadows on High instead of Ultra and it still happens. Anything else i should lower without ruining the overall IQ? What does HBAO and Mesh Quality do?

Turn down textures from Ultra to High. The difference isn't huge and it frees up a good 100mb of Vram.
Thats how I fixed my stuttering. My 1gb card was hitting its limit.

Manager

Gez said:

With Textures I mean Texture quality. Lower that as Phandy said.

Asgaro

alphaNoid said:
Was able to OC my 5850 to 820/1200 @ 50% fan and I now bumped everything to high, textures to Ultra, no MSAA, AA post to High, HBAO on, 16xAF @1920x1200..

Q6600 @ 3.0
5850 @ 820/1200
4GB RAM
OCZ Vertex 2 SSD

MUCH BETTER! In game FPS counter never dips below 45 and I'm usually 55+ :) Breathing new life into my nearly 4 year old machine (minutes vcard and free ssd)

edit. This is for MP :) SP is solid 60
Thx for posting that, this makes me happy :)

(got Q6600 @3.0Ghz, ATI HD 6950 1GB, 4GB mem, RES 1920x1080)

Starting tomorrow I can play this game for 5 days straight probably, I'm hyped.

rallyart said:
By Disabling Hyperthreading I managed to get rid off all stuttering. So at least works for me.

Everything maxed out.

Running latest nvidia drivers.

I7 920 @ 3.8 ghz
6 gb ram
MSI GTX 580 Lightning @ 940/1880/2170.
thx for this. whats your core voltage?

im leveling out at a few frames shy of 60fps. everything maxed at 1080p.

rallyart

Neo Member
Ice Raven said:
thx for this. whats your core voltage?

im leveling out at a few frames shy of 60fps. everything maxed at 1080p.

My vcore is 1.344, because my I7 is a C0/C1 revision.

If you have an D0, wich you can see it with cpuz, your vcore for reach higher frecuencies must be lower than mine, around 1.298 I think.

GuessWho

TylerD said:

I have a PNY 560ti, not sure if it's overclocked. It's so weird though and this shouldn't be happening as I never had this issue with the beta.

While playing GAF games yesterday I found on the larger maps my framerate went down quite a bit so I had lower some settings to medium. I need a new video card.

vazel

Banned
Snowblindvictim said:
Anyone have any luck running the game with mid to lower end specs?
What kind of performance are you getting?

I'm talking C2D, and 8800 or 9800 cards
I have a e5200 OC'ed to 3.5GHz and a 9800GTX at stock. I am CPU limited, going from 1080p to 720p doesn't change performance. I'm getting 25-30fps all at low settings.

This game really likes quad-core it seems; it's disappointing that even at 3.5GHz this game can't perform better on my dual-core. The measly 2MB L2 cache of my CPU probably hurts my performance a lot too.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I have to say, reading about everyone's issues is making me really grateful that I have encountered zero hardware problems with this game.

Running a dual core i3-2100 with hyperthreading enabled, a factory overclocked 6850, and I'm managing an average of 50-60 fps on every map no matter the player number on all high settings @ 1680x1050, only with MSAA and Motion Blur turned off.

iNvid02

my post from the ea forums, might help some who were crashing

Was having freeze problems like a lot of you, in my case it would hang with the sound in the background for a few seconds and then my monitor would go into standby. I fixed it by doing the following:

1. Download the 285.62 drivers again
2. Disconnect from internet
3. Uninstall all high definition audio devices from device manager
4. Reinstall drivers, choose nvidia audio device drivers too
5. Restart PC and windows should automatically install the sound drivers
6. Reconnect and play

Disconnecting from the web ensures that windows wont get the realtek
drivers again, it will install the nvidia high definition audio devices instead

Top Bottom