• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

AndrewDean84xX said:
Anyone else feel like we are participating in gaming history by playing skyrim?
Technically every game is a piece of gaming history.

But I (think) I know what you mean. Personally, Skyrim's release is an event on a level only Halo titles typically reach.

I know that after I get out of the initial linear area and into the open world, I'm heading in the opposite direction of the main quest objective and continuing that way for a long while. Those early moments, just setting out into the wild and having no idea what I'll run into, are among my favorite in all of gaming. Oblivion and Fallout 3 provided moments early on that I still remember vividly, and I know Skyrim will be the same. As much as anything, that's what I'm really looking forward to next Friday.

Sadly, I don't think I've heard anything about Skyrim in real life except from a few friends. Everyone at school just mentions MW3 :p

GhaleonEB said:

But I (think) I know what you mean. Personally, Skyrim's release is an event on a level only Halo titles typically reach.

I know that after I get out of the initial linear area and into the open world, I'm heading in the opposite direction of the main quest objective and continuing that way for a long while. Those early moments, just setting out into the wild and having no idea what I'll run into, are among my favorite in all of gaming. Oblivion and Fallout 3 provide moments early on that I still remember vividly, and I know Skyrim will be the same.

I know what you mean. Few games actually ingrain specific gameplay moments into my memory, but I'll probably won't forget exiting the sewer in Oblivion anytime soon. I was so excited about getting rid of the "leash" that I just went into a straight line up into the mountains. The first town I ran into was Bruma, in retrospect I can't figure out how I managed but I had actually missed the Imperial city. I remember the sun setting on the mountains as I walked on a ridge, and it was beautiful.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to play this on the PC or the 360. Carpal tunnel is a factor. Given that I play on playing this game for hours, I'm thinking that playing it with a controller with help to get around damaging my wrists.

GhaleonEB said:

I know that after I get out of the initial linear area and into the open world, I'm heading in the opposite direction of the main quest objective and continuing that way for a long while. Those early moments, just setting out into the wild and having no idea what I'll run into, are among my favorite in all of gaming. Oblivion and Fallout 3 provided moments early on that I still remember vividly, and I know Skyrim will be the same. As much as anything, that's what I'm really looking forward to next Friday.
One great memory from my first hours of playing Oblivion is me killing a deer in front of my mom. She loves animals dearly and she got mad at me for killing the virtual deer. She then ordered me not to kill any wildlife in the game from then on. :lol

However at that moment I was thinking how awesome it was that I could actually play as a hunter in the game.

Jibber Hack said:
I'm trying to decide whether or not to play this on the PC or the 360. Carpal tunnel is a factor. Given that I play on playing this game for hours, I'm thinking that playing it with a controller with help to get around damaging my wrists.

play on PC and use a controller? seems like the best of both worlds for you. its a no brainer.

Derrick01

Banned
AndrewDean84xX said:

Every elder scrolls game is gaming history for me. There's not another series out there that does what Bethesda does with making a world and making exploring fun.

Jibber Hack said:

PC + 360 controller for sure.

nickbreckon

Bethesda Community Manager
Jibber Hack said:

I'm playing it on PC with a 360 controller as I type this. That's always an option.

I have been watching this guy's run trough of the quakecon footage and he is quite observant, he's got some interesting points. Watch it if you have some time to kill and like over-analyzing things. I also love his let's plays of Daggerfall, Morrowind and Oblivion. Different commentary-style compared to the average youtuber.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
SteveO409 said:
Cmon...where are the PC deals :( I wouldnt mind a $10-$20 coupon

d2d has it for $54, and if you're an IGN Prime member you get an extra 15% off on top of that. That was the only legit deal last I checked. Sales tax though.

GhaleonEB

Government-man said:
I know what you mean. Few games actually ingrain specific gameplay moments into my memory, but I'll probably won't forget exiting the sewer in Oblivion anytime soon. I was so excited about getting rid of the "leash" that I just went into a straight line up into the mountains. The first town I ran into was Bruma, in retrospect I can't figure out how I managed but I had actually missed the Imperial city. I remember the sun setting on the mountains as I walked on a ridge, and it was beautiful.
I set out for the mountains early on as well. It wasn't the first day, but soon after (and before I set foot in a town) I was in the snowy mountains and found a dungeon way up there. I went exploring and started getting whomped on, by either trolls or those big club carrying dudes (been a while). I was still using stuff on the level of the opening cave, and so despite the scaling I was getting by butt kicked. I run back out through the cave, arriving back outside in the snow. The next few events:

"Wait, why is the battle music still playing?"

*monster emerges from cave, resumes chase*

"Oh shit! Just leaving the dungeon won't work in this game!"

*proceeds to flee down the mountain*

I'm also looking forward to finding some dungeon that utterly kicks my ass in Skyrim. Those didn't really happen much in Oblivion for obvious reasons. I want to find that place, find a way to overcome it despite being way underpowered, and leave with some ungodly loot.

It was actually Crackdown that got me hooked on moments like that. Heading to the 3rd island right off the bat and returning home with a homing rocket launcher - with all skills at level 1 - was tough as hell and richly rewarding.

AndrewDean84xX said:
_tetsuo_ said:

QbIJv.jpg

Will there be some kind of demo? Not sure if i want it,looks boring but i thought bioshock looked boring and then when i played the demo it was awesome.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Syphon Filter said:
Will there be some kind of demo? Not sure if i want it,looks boring but i thought bioshock looked boring and then when i played the demo it was awesome.
No demo.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Was that .gif with the Dragon picking up that thing, for real? The movement of the creature it picked up was so static.

Vire

nickbreckon said:
I'm playing it on PC with a 360 controller as I type this. That's always an option.
Why you gotta do me like that.

:(

*Puts in Oblivion and wishes he was playing Skyrim...

Woorloog

Banned
Trojita said:
Was that .gif with the Dragon picking up that thing, for real? The movement of the creature it picked up was so static.
Old build (E3 one AFAIK). Don't worry about. I wouldn't. Wouldn't mind even if it was in the final game, looks sort of hilarious.

Dennis

Banned
Trojita said:
Was that .gif with the Dragon picking up that thing, for real? The movement of the creature it picked up was so ,static.
Yes it was real. I made that gif from, I think it was, the first official video.

The staticness is all on Bethesda but the stop motion-like animation is on me. I cut half the frames.

EviLore said:
d2d has it for $54, and if you're an IGN Prime member you get an extra 15% off on top of that. That was the only legit deal last I checked. Sales tax though.

Anyone know if this deal is still going, and is it only available to this in the US? Plus, when will they give the keys out, would you get it for pre-load?

DennisK4 said:
Yes it was real. I made that gif from, I think it was, the first official video.

The staticness is all on Bethesda but the stop motion-like animation is on me. I cut half the frames.

Praise be to the .gif god, by the way.

Crazetex

Wow, this Gamespot interview really is insulting as hell.

<GS> do you listen to fan feedback ever
<GS> do you think there is a market for your game
<GS> how do you feel about things that break immersion in your games, like - hey guys, what things broke your immersion in Oblivion?

I <3 Todd Howard, but I'm not sure I can finish listening to this.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Drewsky said:
Bethesda games are usually super shitty on PS3 aren't they? PS3 my only option to play on, that's why I ask.
Oblivion was great on the PS3!
Fallout 3 was pretty good.

Scythian

I had no problems whatsoever with Oblivion on PS3, I actually read the loading times were better on the PS3 version. You should be fine, but don't quote me on that since we won't know until release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom