• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Government-man said:
Damn, seems like the full soundtrack has been leaked already. I hope a lot of people actually buy the standalone soundtrack anyways, Soule really do deserve it.
Got mine ordered.

Lakitu

st5fu
Wow. Just saw some new footage, it's a 5 minute video showcasing the Aurora Borealis. It is unbelievably beautiful. So beautiful, a man tear came out. I only watched 45 seconds before switching it off.

nonnocere said:
Trying not to get into the hype since I am drowning under released games already.

*shakes fist*

Come now, let's be honest. All that other crap is just filler between Elder Scrolls releases.

Ghost23

Do you guys think it would be smart to go half mage/half warrior? I'm liking the sound of the combination, but will it be possible?

Lakitu

st5fu
FuzzyNorman said:
Do you guys think it would be smart to go half mage/half warrior? I'm liking the sound of the combination, but will it be possible?

Yep, I'd say so. Especially now you can build your character however way you want. I may even do that.

Mad_Ban

Bootaaay said:
DSC_0051.jpg

Oh my, PS3 copy turned up this morning, goodbye life. I'm just installing it now, and then I'm rolling a kick ass wood elf :D
Any AA? How does it run? How big is the install? It's nice to have someone to go off. :p

Razorskin

----- ------
FuzzyNorman said:

sword in one hand, spell in the other, do it!

FuzzyNorman said:

Dunmer battlemage is usually my favourite combination in ES games. So I'd say it's a valid build, very fun to play at least.

Khezu

Derrick01 said:
I remember seeing in the last thread that it's apparently chance based now. Yeah, good times ahead :\

From the footage I have seen, it also doesn't seem to show percentage rate of being successful either, which is weird. I also haven't seen it fail yet, so maybe they wised up and changed it? Probably not.

Dorfdad said:
Can the guy who got the PS3 version give us so insight to how it looks and performs compared to the 360 footage we have been seeing???

I'm not seeing any major differences, although I'm not very far in. The only annoyance I've encountered so far is that there's a slight stutter for auto-saving. The first time it happened it lasted near 10 seconds and I thought the game had crashed, but in every other instance it's only paused for a split-second. It sometimes auto-saves when you bring up there character menu, but you can set the gaps between auto-saves in the options, or turn them off altogether.

Mad_Ban said:
Any AA? How does it run? How big is the install? It's nice to have someone to go off. :p

I've barely noticed any jaggies at all, so I'm guessing there's some level of AA. Apart from the aforementioned auto-save stutter, it runs very smoothly, although there are a few flickering soft shadows which are a bit distracting and the scenery can look a little washed out at times, although that may just be the starting area. Walking out into the open for the first time wasn't quite as impressive as it was with Oblivion, but on a whole it looks amazing.

Also, the install is 5.5gb, but unlike Oblivion it doesn't install in the background as there's no opening cut-scene.

kai3345 said:
Does it run like complete shit?

Coming from someone who happily played Oblivion, Fallout 3 & New Vegas on PS3 with little complaint, yeah it runs fine :D

Lakitu said:
Review copy?

Dunno, got it from some guy on eBay. It's an American copy though, so I'll have to grab any DLC from the US store.

Here's a quick shot of my wood elf dude;

DSC_0053.jpg

Wallach

@Bootaaay: If you get time, I would love to know the answer to a few things:

- How the fuck does Speech actually work in Skyrim? Nobody has actually had a proper detailed explanation in any preview for this game, even though they completely changed how it works.

- Does Marksman work alright in the third-person perspective now?

- Does the Dunmer active racial (Ancestor's Wrath) scale up with each level, or is it static? How big is the radius roughly?

- Can you verify that all of these starting skill bonuses appear to be correct: http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1250759-full-list-of-racial-bonuses/

- Do all the active racial abilities share the same cooldown (1/day) or are they different on a per-race basis?

Lakitu said:
Wow. Just saw some new footage, it's a 5 minute video showcasing the Aurora Borealis. It is unbelievably beautiful. So beautiful, a man tear came out. I only watched 45 seconds before switching it off.
447px-Manlytears3.jpg

So, this may not be the right topic for this but I'm gonna ask anyway. If I wanted to build/buy a new computer capable of running Skyrim on high settings, what would I need? Let's say we are keeping this in the $800 range, is that even possible? My current computer is about 3 years old, and could probably play Skyrim fine except for the fact that I LOATHE it and recently has been giving me many many problems.

Luthos said:
Good, another "difference is minimal, comes down to console/controller preference."

But of course people will still argue to hell and back over which is better.

You expect us to be rational or something?

TerminalDogma said:
So, this may not be the right topic for this but I'm gonna ask anyway. If I wanted to build/buy a new computer capable of running Skyrim on high settings, what would I need? Let's say we are keeping this in the $800 range, is that even possible? My current computer is about 3 years old, and could probably play Skyrim fine except for the fact that I LOATHE it and recently has been giving me many many problems.
Go to the I need a new PC thread. It's great. And I'm quite sure it's possible depending on what you need.

Wallach

TerminalDogma said:

Just on High settings is easily doable within 800 bucks. First post of the main PC thread is all you need.

Deified Data said:
Or the complete lack thereof from Argonians or Khajiits...

Actually, the Argonians are probably the only race they got right as far as facial expressions. Part of the reason people don't trust them is that they aren't really capable of expressing much emotion because they don't have the facial muscles. People think they don't have emotions at all and treat them like they might be animals partly for that reason.

TerminalDogma said:

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. |OT2|

Yeah I'm glad they got rid off that wheel. Felt like it was worse than chance deciding. Skill mult + chance is probably the best, unless you can construct a really good minigame. A fun way would be to build a text parser where you can input you own convincing sentences. But that is a no-go for consoles I guess.

Wallach said:
@Bootaaay: If you get time, I would love to know the answer to a few things:

I'll have to make another character to answer most of those, so I won't get to them immediately, but the starting skills of the Bosmer are all correct and marksman works as well in 3rd person as it does in 1st.

I love 1st person perspective, but 3rd person is really well done in this game too.

Haven't encountered any speech challenges yet, but I'll post back here once I do.

Mad_Ban said:
Are Wood Elves still very short?

Yeah, shorter than all of the NPC's I've encountered so far.

ironcreed

Banned

Wallach

Bootaaay said:
I'll have to make another character to answer most of those, so I won't get to them immediately, but the starting skills of the Bosmer are all correct and marksman works as well in 3rd person as it does in 1st.

I love 1st person perspective, but 3rd person is really well done in this game too.

Haven't encountered any speech challenges yet, but I'll post back here once I do.

No worries man, it's just stuff that previews have really failed at detailing.

I'm most interested in hearing how the speech system actually works in detail.

zlatko

Banned
If anyone wants to try and get this game for $27.00 for the PC version, do this.

The website intkeys.net is currently selling/taking pre orders for Steam copies of the game for $34.99, but they price match other sites AND give people who notify them of lower prices a %10 discount coupon I believe. Another site called gamerkeys.net is doing their price at $29.99.

Just sign up for intkeys.net, then go to the contact tab to message them, and provide a link to the gamerkeys Skyrim buying page. They should email you back in 24 hours hopefully, and you'll be set to get the game for $27ish dollars. :)

Wallach said:
Actually, the Argonians are probably the only race they got right as far as facial expressions. Part of the reason people don't trust them is that they aren't really capable of expressing much emotion because they don't have the facial muscles. People think they don't have emotions at all and treat them like they might be animals partly for that reason.
Yeah, I know. I just take issue with the prospect of being expected to guage the emotional state of a people who canonically do not display their emotions with facial expressions. The speech minigame wasn't thoroughly ironed-out.

FrankT

Where is this new footage? Anyhow that music is sooo good.

Edit: Man I do not understand Friday releases in the US. Vets day full play ftw though.

Bethesda games get a lot of flak in the enthusiast audience, but NOTHING comes close to the immersion and exploration that heir games provide. In fact they are the only 50+ hour games that I know I will finish.

I actually wish there was more competition in sweeping 1st/3rd person WRPG, so that I don't have to wait for one release every year.
I haven't played the witcher, though because my pc is shiite and I refuse to upgrade.

Edit: And I only posted this because I am super hyped for this release!

neoemonk

zlatko said:
If anyone wants to try and get this game for $27.00 for the PC version, do this.

The website intkeys.net is currently selling/taking pre orders for Steam copies of the game for $34.99, but they price match other sites AND give people who notify them of lower prices a %10 discount coupon I believe. Another site called gamerkeys.net is doing their price at $29.99.

Just sign up for intkeys.net, then go to the contact tab to message them, and provide a link to the gamerkeys Skyrim buying page. They should email you back in 24 hours hopefully, and you'll be set to get the game for $27ish dollars. :)

Are these sites legitimate?

RPGCrazied

I want the PS3 version too. It has some AA you say? That's pretty rare in a PS3 game. How about screen tearing? I really do hate that.

zlatko

Banned
neoemonk said:
Are these sites legitimate?

I had the same question just yesterday and did the research. CDkeysdiscount and intkeys.net are proven, but the gamerkeys.net site is the one that people aren't sure about.

The other two though get the boxed product games from cheaper areas of the world, and then they just open the box up, snap a picture up of the CD keys, and email them to you. Everything is on the up and up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom