• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 has global day one sales of 3.8 million [Update: Shipped Confirmed]

darkwing

Pai Pai Master said:
Pretty sure they've already said that they're not ready to put Uncharted to bed just yet. Considering how much more significant the sales and reception have been compared to Jak & Daxter last generation, I doubt Sony's ready for that either.

I think we're going to be speculating for some time, but I'm not going to be too surprised when Uncharted 4 is announced and touted as the flagship title for PS4.

hopefully they will release something for the PS3's last hurrah like Unkarted

yurinka

Mpl90 said:
We know U3 did 116k in its first week in UK.
And did 125k in its first week in Japan.

This should mean that in USA the first day did some HOLY SHIT numbers?
We have to investigate, guys.
I would say yes, but I would say its sales really shined in Sonyland (PAL region excluding UK) due to typical Sony EU sales numbers.
Anastacio said:
Even though they are shipped, haven't SONY basically sold those games to retailers and gotten their money?
As I remember since 2007 it means sold to retailers and this is why sometimes people says sold.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Anastacio said:
Even though they are shipped, haven't SONY basically sold those games to retailers and gotten their money?
Unless it bombs and they have to refund copies. Which obviously won't happen.

Still, had they actually sold that many to customers it would be way more impressive. Cause that would mean shipping a whole lot more again. So it's a pretty important distinction to make.

They must be shipped numbers. It sold around 116K in the UK (which typically accounts for around 30-40% of EU sales) and roughly 126K in Japan.

So in order for day one sales to be 3.8 million, it would have to had sold around 3.4 million on day one in the US (which of course is impossible)

Anyone saying otherwise is talking bullshit.

Edit: Just saw the SCEA message. As if it wasn't blindingly obvious enough to anyone with half a brain cell.

Man, that's a lot of unsold copies clogging up the channels! They better pray that they get that November boost, or the average price is going to drop like a rock very quickly!

Mung

If any series deserves great sales, it's this one. Don't care whether its shipped or sold, its still brilliant..

KingDizzi

Banned
While 3.8 million sold is bullshit, why in the fuck do people forget the rest of EU? I've been France, I've been Germany and as it turns out their currency is not chocolate coins. UC3 has started well in those regions so it's pretty safe to add at least another 200k for the rest of EU and even that then it is being really conservative. In NA it will probably do 600k or so first month so this shipment of 3.8 million will take a looooooooong time to finish but see the game going near 5 million when all is said and done.

Corto said:
None of those examples you posted are representative of Sony's past over shipping history though. Not saying that Sony never did grossly over shipped a game but I honestly can't remember an instance where it did. So Sony stating that on day one of UC3 shipped +- 78% of life time sales LTD shipped numbers of UC2 is something to take as a reliable number that the game will do good, even better than UC2.

Yeah Sony are good with shipments, we are a similarly retarded thread when it was announced GT5 shipped 5.5 million first couple weeks and the usual suspects were going on with the "channel stuffing lulz". About a month later the number went up to 6.37 million so yeah, Sony games don't sell too badly WW. ;)

jcm

Nuclear Muffin said:
They must be shipped numbers. It sold around 116K in the UK (which typically accounts for around 30-40% of EU sales) and roughly 126K in Japan.

Not for Sony it doesn't.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
This obviously means 3.8 million copies were shipped to Sony warehouses and nothing more

very well deserved for ND

Nuclear Muffin said:
It sold around 116K in the UK (which typically accounts for around 30-40% of EU sales)

No it doesn't. The UK accounts for about 20% of total game sales in the EU but the proportion tends to be lower for PS3 as it is more popular than 360 on the continent.

Satchel

Banned
So 3.8 global shipped?

Eh, well that's ok I guess. Sony gets their money when it's shipped. How many copies actually leave the shelf? Given the timing, in between MW3 and BF3, I doubt that many.

GamerSciz

This game was hyped a fair amount but after beating the single player and thoroughly enjoying some MP practically every night I can honestly say that this game was well worth it. I think Skyrim may be the only game to give it a run for it's money in GOTY.

Satchel said:
So 3.8 global shipped?

Eh, well that's ok I guess. Sony gets their money when it's shipped. How many copies actually leave the shelf? Given the timing, in between MW3 and BF3, I doubt that many.

Tell me more, Mr. Pachter.

BKK

Not that it makes much difference, but the 116k for UK is the raw 90% tracked figure, extrapolated to 100% it would be 128k.

legend166

Of course it was shipped. We already have data from the UK and Japan, where it sold about 240k combined first week. Being EXTREMELY generous and saying UK sales represented 20% of Europe, you're looking at what, 500k first week in Europe?

It would have had to sell around 3 million in the US alone first day.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Pai Pai Master said:
Pretty sure they've already said that they're not ready to put Uncharted to bed just yet. Considering how much more significant the sales and reception have been compared to Jak & Daxter last generation, I doubt Sony's ready for that either.

I think we're going to be speculating for some time, but I'm not going to be too surprised when Uncharted 4 is announced and touted as the flagship title for PS4.
Yeah if this game sells notably better than Uncharted 2, it would be an awkward time to put it on ice.

As far as the 3.8 million goes, if that took until the end of January to sell it would still be much faster than Uncharted 2, which hit 4.9 million globally just recently. Sony's first party stuff has a lot of room to grow due to how low of a ceiling the hardware pricing put on things before UC2 and God of War 3 came out.

Raonak

Banned
Oh man, looks like I missed out on the carnival of stupid. :(

regardless of ship or sold, great news for ND. Great game.
Uncharted 4 @ PS4 launch. believe.

Haunted

Draft said:
Congrats, ND. You sure printed and boxed a huge number of copies.
haha

We really need a sold =! shipped explanation in the OP of these threads. I love a good circle jerk as much as the next guy, but people congratulating prematurely based on false assumptions just doesn't make me hard.

spwolf

Satchel said:
So 3.8 global shipped?

well uc2 sold 4.9 million in a year and this is so far tracking between 37% and 150% better than uc2, according to real numbers.

i would say it has a good chance to become biggest ps3 exclusive game.

Top Bottom