• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

MisterAnderson said:
Are the roms from the Wii you're referring to specific to each game or it's just a few set roms that is required to run LLE mode across all games?

They are from the console itself. Not game specific. Just 2 files.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So how is Skyward Sword running on Dolphin? I got Xenoblade to run okay on my i5 2500k 3.3ghz, 4GB RAM, 5870 1GB setup, but there were infrequent sound glitches and occasional FPS drops that got on my nerves.

My experience with Mario Galaxy was kind of similar, too.

Should I expect pretty much the same thing from Skyward Sword? Also, how is motion plus support? I only have Wiimotes with the motion plus addon. Do they work okay? I suppose I could be a new Wiimote if necessary.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Zefah said:
So how is Skyward Sword running on Dolphin? I got Xenoblade to run okay on my i5 2500k 3.3ghz, 4GB RAM, 5870 1GB setup, but there were infrequent sound glitches and occasional FPS drops that got on my nerves.

Should I expect pretty much the same thing from Skyward Sword? Also, how is motion plus support? I only have Wiimotes with the motion plus addon. Do they work okay? I suppose I could be a new Wiimote if necessary.
This is how I feel about Dolphin across the board, actually. Every game I've tried suffers from similar issues (slight hitches, stutters, and other similar problems) that kind of hurt the experience. Unless things have changed, I suspect Skyward Sword will run very similarly making it a poor place to first experience the game.

I suppose I'll give it a shot, though, as I am curious to see how it runs.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
dark10x said:
This is how I feel about Dolphin across the board, actually. Every game I've tried suffers from similar issues (slight hitches, stutters, and other similar problems) that kind of hurt the experience. Unless things have changed, I suspect Skyward Sword will run very similarly making it a poor place to first experience the game.

Yeah, it's honestly why I still haven't completed Xenoblade or Mario Galaxy 2. If I play them on my Wii, they look, well... quite poor on my 47" TV, but if I play them on Dolphin, they look and play great most of the time, but the small glitches really ruin the experience for me.

So with the DSP LLE files in place, I can now get the games to run using LLE settings but they run horrendously compared to HLE.

Sound stuttering galore, and framerate loss (about half as high as HLE). This is all in reference to Mario Galaxy 2, by the way. When running LLE recompiler, is it best to check off "DSP LLE on Thread"? What might I be doing wrong?

And does anyone know if my overclocked 3.9GHz processor is somehow being underutilized by Dolphin? I asked a few times but haven't gotten an answer yet and am curious if I'm being shortchanged by Dolphin. When I boot up games it says on the top left corner "2.67GHz" when I'm running a 3.9GHz overclock.

TheExodu5

Banned
dark10x said:

You need to have "Audio Throttle" checked to avoid sound hitches for most games. Either that or run in LLE mode, though that takes a lot of CPU power (my 4.6GHz copes with Xenoblade most of the time). LLE guarantees you won't have any sound hitching, but it also adds a bit of audio lag, which may be detrimental depending on the game you're playing.

MisterAnderson said:
So with the DSP LLE files in place, I can now get the games to run using LLE settings but they run horrendously compared to HLE.

Sound stuttering galore, and framerate loss (about half as high as HLE). This is all in reference to Mario Galaxy 2, by the way. When running LLE recompiler, is it best to check off "DSP LLE on Thread"? What might I be doing wrong?

And does anyone know if my overclocked 3.9GHz processor is somehow being underutilized by Dolphin? I asked a few times but haven't gotten an answer yet and am curious if I'm being shortchanged by Dolphin. When I boot up games it says on the top left corner "2.67GHz" when I'm running a 3.9GHz overclock.

LLE is just incredibly demanding. There's not much to do about it except get a faster CPU, and even then today's CPUs can't cope in all games.

Just run HLE with audio throttle on and see how that works out for you.

Peterthumpa

MisterAnderson said:

For Super Mario Galaxy 2, absolutely.
Also, for SMG2 to run nicely with my rig, I had to OC it to 4.5 GHz (i5 2500k).

No, Dolphin is just reading the standard info from you CPU, it doesn't means that it was "downclocked".

Peterthumpa

Zefah said:

It's going to run beautifully with your rig. Since with Skyward Sword LLE isn't needed and the game runs @ 30 FPS, it's quite easier to emulate despite the awesome graphics.

Also, OC you CPU a little bit. i5 2500ks are able to reach 4 GHz with stock cooling easily.

TheExodu5 said:
You need to have "Audio Throttle" checked to avoid sound hitches for most games. Either that or run in LLE mode, though that takes a lot of CPU power (my 4.6GHz copes with Xenoblade most of the time). LLE guarantees you won't have any sound hitching, but it also adds a bit of audio lag, which may be detrimental depending on the game you're playing.

LLE is just incredibly demanding. There's not much to do about it except get a faster CPU, and even then today's CPUs can't cope in all games.

Just run HLE with audio throttle on and see how that works out for you.

Thanks, I assumed by the description of audio throttle that it was in my best interest to have it off so I probably never would have tried it. I'll mess with it now. My concern, though (with SMG2) is that when I start a new level after I pick it, that there is absolutely no music. Playing SMG2 with no music is like eating pizza with no cheese. Hopefully audio throttling will fix this issue.

It's disappointing that Dolphin is so CPU dependent (and apparently only runs two cores?)

felipepl said:
It's going to run beautifully with your rig. Since with Skyward Sword LLE isn't needed and the game runs @ 30 FPS, it's quite easier to emulate despite the awesome graphics.

Also, OC you CPU a little bit. i5 2500ks are able to reach 4 GHz with stock cooling easily.

If running LLE mode for SMG2 is any indication of the performance to expect with that mode, then I'm extremely happy to hear that LLE isn't needed for Skyward Sword.

Peterthumpa

MisterAnderson said:
A few noob questions:

Is it always better do go with D3D11 instead of 9?

When I choose LLE DSP settings for sound, the game won't load and says it's missing something. Do I need to download a plugin or something for that? A lot of my games tend to have sound issues and the solutions that come up when I google are to go with LLE, but the game never loads when I choose that in the audio options.

SMG2 runs pretty great but out of two levels I've tried so far, I've had no music in them. Is this fixed by using the LLE DSP thing? HOW DO I GET IT TO STARTUP?? :/

I have an i7 920 2.67GHz overclocked to 3.9GHz, but at Dolphin startup it says 2.67GHz. Is my overclock somehow not applying to Dolphin? Or despite the wrong detected clock speed my CPU is still performing at the overclocked setting?

Oh and New Super Mario Bros. runs flawlessly. Highly recommend it.

1) depends on which game you're playing. Only by testing you'll know for sure, but DX9 is usually a little bit faster than DX11.

2) For LLE to work you need to dump 2 BIN files from your Wii. Since those are coded by Nintendo, they can't be shared online, so having a Wii and dumping them yourself is the only option available.

3) Yes, it's fixed by using LLE, read above.

4) No, the game is only reading the standard info from your CPU given by Windows. On a side note, with this CPU you won't be able to reach full speed in SMG2 using the LLE plug-in. I had the same CPU and had to buy an i5 2500k AND overclock it to 4.5 GHz to get almost-always-constant 60 FPS.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Can anyone with Lost Kingdoms 1 and 2 put up some 1080p pics?

Beach Spikers wouldn't hurt either...

Confiture said:
Does anyone know if this bluetooth adaptor works with the wiimote?
http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=175_TBW-107UB&cat=10

I've looked at the compatibility list but this particular model isn't mentioned.

And just to be sure, this one does work right?
http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B001BROKXO/
I have one of these cheap generic ones from ebay and it works fine on Win 7 x64. The Dolphin faq says as long as the dongle uses the Microsoft bluetooth stack (i.e. plug and play, no separate drivers needed) it should work.

udivision

felipepl said:
It'd be interesting if someone asked Reggie about "gettign the most out of your wii requires a PC" and if Wii U will address that. Obviously the dolphin fun stops this gen (for now) but it'd like to see Nintendo acknowledge that...

felipepl said:
4) No, the game is only reading the standard info from your CPU given by Windows. On a side note, with this CPU you won't be able to reach full speed in SMG2 using the LLE plug-in. I had the same CPU and had to buy an i5 2500k AND overclock it to 4.5 GHz to get almost-always-constant 60 FPS.

Ack. Really disappointing since I'm able to run the game flawlessly (50-60 FPS) in HLE mode. Only issue is the no music thing...which makes the entire thing unplayable. Poop.

Red

MisterAnderson said:
Thanks, I assumed by the description of audio throttle that it was in my best interest to have it off so I probably never would have tried it. I'll mess with it now. My concern, though (with SMG2) is that when I start a new level after I pick it, that there is absolutely no music. Playing SMG2 with no music is like eating pizza with no cheese. Hopefully audio throttling will fix this issue.

It's disappointing that Dolphin is so CPU dependent (and apparently only runs two cores?)

If running LLE mode for SMG2 is any indication of the performance to expect with that mode, then I'm extremely happy to hear that LLE isn't needed for Skyward Sword.
All emulation is CPU dependent, that's not an issue specific to Dolphin.

Peterthumpa

MisterAnderson said:
Ack. Really disappointing since I'm able to run the game flawlessly (50-60 FPS) in HLE mode. Only issue is the no music thing...which makes the entire thing unplayable. Poop.
Not the only one IIRC. There's also a problem in getting the Grand Stars with HLE, where the game would freeze on a black screen. Also only corrected by using LLE or completely disabling audio .

x3sphere

dark10x said:

Skyward Sword runs flawless for me. Just got past the first temple. However, Skip EFB Access from CPU needs to be disabled for proper aiming with the slingshot. It can drastically reduce performance, you need at least a 3.5GHz i5/i7 (or around that) to maintain fullspeed at all times.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
x3sphere said:
Skyward Sword runs flawless for me. Just got past the first temple. However, Skip EFB Access from CPU needs to be disabled for proper aiming with the slingshot. It can drastically reduce performance, you need at least a 3.5GHz i5/i7 (or around that) to maintain fullspeed at all times.

Motion Plus controls work fine? Are you using the addon or the built-in Wiimote?

hlhbk

First off specs:

Intel Core I7 950 3.0 GHZ
ATI Radeon 5850
OCZ 4 GB PC 1600 RAM

I have never had great lucky trying to run games on Dolphin, there is always issues with skipping audio and such. After looking at the screens I am interested in SS and Xenoblade on Dolphin, but I have a few questions.

What is the best revision to get of Dolphin? What are the best settings to use? How do you get the motion bar/wii mote to work with the PC? With my specs should I have any issues running Dolphin?

Thrakier

For Super Mario Galaxy 2, absolutely.
Also, for SMG2 to run nicely with my rig, I had to OC it to 4.5 GHz (i5 2500k).

No, Dolphin is just reading the standard info from you CPU, it doesn't means that it was "downclocked".

Why? LLE on thread basically activates a third core. Unchecking it would just lower the overall performance.

Now, best performance for me:

Skip EFB access CHECKED
Lock threads to core UNCHECKED (brought a performance boost)
Audio Throttle UNCHECKED (brought performance boost)
Lock LLE to thread (little performance boost)

Now even the waterworld is running at 60/61FPS without a hitch. I need to test the first boss again. Revision is 3.0, 3x native Res. without SSAA, DX9.

Last version of Dolphin I had was old r6800. Decided to grab the more recent 3.0-201 yesterday, but while it is improved in some ways it now gives me
"Sound buffer initialization failed: E"
"Could not initialize backend DSound."
"Sound backend DSound is not valid."
The other option seems to give no sound anyway, so I've got a mostly-improved-but-mute experience. Sound still works fine with the old version.

Thrakier

Endboss checked, with the settings I posted I get MINIMAL dips to 58 sometimes but it runs almost perfect. Very nice!!! I love playing the game with SIXAXXIS functionality in HD. Feels so...sarcastic. ;D

Peterthumpa

Last version of Dolphin I had was old r6800. Decided to grab the more recent 3.0-201 yesterday, but while it is improved in some ways it now gives me
"Sound buffer initialization failed: E"
"Could not initialize backend DSound."
"Sound backend DSound is not valid."
The other option seems to give no sound anyway, so I've got a mostly-improved-but-mute experience. Sound still works fine with the old version.
Try to update your DirectX runtime, even if you think it's already updated.

Seik

Banned
My body AND my rig are now so damn ready!

Yesterday I upgraded from a 460SE to a 480GTX (Thanks to Papersleeve who sold it to me) and I re-overclocked my 2500K from 4.0Ghz to 4.5Ghz.

BRING IT, Skyward Sword! :D

EDIT: Anybody tried Rayman Origins on Dolphin? I'm curious about the results.

so, while i'm prepping my PC for trying out skyward sword tomorrow, i gave a bunch of GC/Wii games a spin in 3D using the iz3d drivers.

you have to use 32 bit dolphin, DX9 and side by side output, but some games work really nicely.

Wind Waker is amazing, naturally. RE4 Wii looks really good, though the cross hair is at screendepth, but no big problem when using the gamecube or classic controller thanks to the guns having laser sights. rifle is messed up though!

Shattered Memories would be good if i could remember what build runs the shadows properly.

Mario Galaxy is not so good. the convergence settings are all over the place. one planet will be fine, the next will be way too near or far away. if there's a setting that works nicely for everything i haven't yet found it.

F zero looks really good, and runs terribly in 32 bit.

Killer 7 looks really good (fair bit of crosstalk though due to the high contrast art style) and aiming is a bitch because the crosshairs are way off. using the iz3d laser site is okay, but you have to leave it on all the time and it gets in the way when you aren't aiming.

all in all, pretty impressive i think. skywards sword in 3d + HD? i can only hope.

so, while i'm prepping my PC for trying out skyward sword tomorrow, i gave a bunch of GC/Wii games a spin in 3D using the iz3d drivers.

you have to use 32 bit dolphin, DX9 and side by side output, but some games work really nicely.

Wind Waker is amazing, naturally. RE4 Wii looks really good, though the cross hair is at screendepth, but no big problem when using the gamecube or classic controller thanks to the guns having laser sights. rifle is messed up though!

Shattered Memories would be good if i could remember what build runs the shadows properly.

Mario Galaxy is not so good. the convergence settings are all over the place. one planet will be fine, the next will be way too near or far away. if there's a setting that works nicely for everything i haven't yet found it.

F zero looks really good, and runs terribly in 32 bit.

Killer 7 looks really good (fair bit of crosstalk though due to the high contrast art style) and aiming is a bitch because the crosshairs are way off. using the iz3d laser site is okay, but you have to leave it on all the time and it gets in the way when you aren't aiming.

all in all, pretty impressive i think. skywards sword in 3d + HD? i can only hope.

Why does it have to be 32 bit? I have nvidia 3D vision and am very interested in this.

Citizen K

For skyward sword users: I would HIGHLY recommend using a sensor bar when playing on dolphin. Technically, the game only requires it when you boot up the game but if you use a sensor bar it will always recalibrate the sword controls when you point at it. So if the sword positioning gets out of whack this is a super fast way of fixin it. Much faster than going into the menu and recalibrating motion+. I bought a USB sensor bar for my pc. Perfect.

nluckett

Chibi-Robo_gameplay.jpg

Has anyone done screengrabs of Chibi-Robo! on Dolphin? I love the art style of the game. It holds up in that weird abstract sense along with games like Katamari. I bet it would look awesome with some increased fidelity.

EDIT: Oh, found some Dolphin gameplay vids on youtube. Very nice. Chibi-Robo! on Dolphin

Thrakier

Connected my PC to the big screen and SMG2 is running without a hitch now @4.3GHZ and with the right settings. I totally forget it' just a emu and I'm playing it like on a Wii HD. Only annyoance is that my BT connector is dependant on how I hold my DS3. If it points upwards it won't recognize some movement...the hell. Can someone show me a good on Amazon Europe? Mine is a new one from Logilink...

Veal

AMD user here. Skyward sword runs perfectly at 1080p with a Phenom II x4 970 (I do have it OC'd to 4 GHZ but I don't think it made that much of a difference) and a 6870. It's such a gorgeous game and it runs like it was made for PC. Really makes me wonder what Nintendo has in store for the WiiU as many of their games have extremely high quality assets that scale well into 1080p.

Ledsen

Gaf, help me out! I just bought a new computer. It's a

i5 2500k 3,3 Ghz
GTX 560Ti
8 GB RAM

and I want to play my Wii games on my PC from now on. What do I do? What do I download, how do I configure it, how do I connect my Wiimote to my TV, etc? Is there a great all-encompassing guide like the GAF Wii homebrew wiki? I've already ripped all my Wii games to wbfs to play from HDD, can I play those from Dolphin? Guide me GAF!

Wichu

I'm in a similar situation (just waiting to get back home so I can rip my Wii games); I think it's recommended you overclock the CPU, as the 2500k is designed for overclocking - if you're wanting to play the more demanding games (e.g. Mario Galaxy), you want all the power you can get. Both your CPU and graphics card are near the top of the range, so you should have no problems with emulation.
You need a bluetooth adapter to connect the Wii remote; my motherboard has one built in (ASUS P8Z68-V), but they're pretty cheap individually. Dolphin can be downloaded from the official website; there's a Wii remote connection tutorial too.

To Dolphin-GAF, a 4.3GHz overclocked i5 2500k is enough for 1080p Mario Galaxy at 60FPS, right? Can't wait to find out.

Turns out my problem was just that I needed a clean install, rather than trying to copy the old settings over to save time. Too much change between the versions.

Red

Connected my PC to the big screen and SMG2 is running without a hitch now @4.3GHZ and with the right settings. I totally forget it' just a emu and I'm playing it like on a Wii HD. Only annyoance is that my BT connector is dependant on how I hold my DS3. If it points upwards it won't recognize some movement...the hell. Can someone show me a good on Amazon Europe? Mine is a new one from Logilink...

Can you post said settings?

More in detail besides this post I mean. Revision?

Top Bottom