• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shaving-GAF, help me out please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Here was BertramCooper's opening post in a safety razor thread.

I have long had difficulties when it comes to shaving. I have very sensitive skin, so my face constantly breaks out when I shave it.

Out of desperation, I decided to go old school, and picked up the following off of Amazon:

Merkur Model 180 Long Handled Safety Razor
31yMdrobbhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

100% Pure Badger Bristle Shaving Brush with Rosewood Handle
41MHKh2aTBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Proraso Shaving Cream
31n77GOfC4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

100 Shark Super Chrome Double Edge Safety Razor Blades
41AP-UfL5tL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

And I've continued using my Nivea for Men After Shave Replenishing Balm. For a supermarket aftershave, it's pretty damn good.

Two weeks later, I've already seen a huge difference. I still get a little bit of irritation, but not nearly as much as I used to. It's also the closest shave I've had in my entire life. I haven't perfected the motion yet, but I'm getting closer with every shave.

While the initial investment is high, you're actually saving money in the long run. Double-edged razor blades are dirt cheap - we're talking 10-15 cents per blade - and high-quality shaving soaps/creams will last you for months. If anyone else is dissatisfied with their current routine, I highly suggest going old school.

Any other old school GAF shavers out there? Super old school straight razor shavers are welcome as well.

Sye d'Burns

Here was BertramCooper's opening post in a safety razor thread.

I have long had difficulties when it comes to shaving. I have very sensitive skin, so my face constantly breaks out when I shave it.

Out of desperation, I decided to go old school, and picked up the following off of Amazon:

Two weeks later, I've already seen a huge difference. I still get a little bit of irritation, but not nearly as much as I used to. It's also the closest shave I've had in my entire life. I haven't perfected the motion yet, but I'm getting closer with every shave.

While the initial investment is high, you're actually saving money in the long run. Double-edged razor blades are dirt cheap - we're talking 10-15 cents per blade - and high-quality shaving soaps/creams will last you for months. If anyone else is dissatisfied with their current routine, I highly suggest going old school.

His experience was very much like mine. I began seeing substantial improvement within a couple of days. Irritation, ingrown hairs and razor bumps are much, much less of a problem for me than they were in my cartridge razor days.

The savings only apply if you buy one or two razors and stick with them. It gets addictive buying razors man. I've got around two dozen now. It may take me a little longer to recoup my investment. :p

One thing you may need to brace yourself for, if you're just jumping in with your new badger hair brush, is the odor. The brushes are cleaned and sterilized but damned if every new brush I've bought hasn't smelled like wet animal for the first week or so. It is, to put it politely, off-putting.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Getting the razor today. 1 day shipping with Amazon Prime since the facility was 2 hours away. Everything else is coming form across multiple states. Which is on time for Wednesday.

It's fair to note that the Buyer's Guide only considers razors currently in production.

It's become abundantly clear that you aren't currently interested in vintage alternatives and that's fine. I was just presenting the option to people which may be interested if they had thought to consider the idea.

I wasn't trying to start a new vs. old safety razor flame, which might actually be a GAF first.

I'm sure I'll learn a lot more as months go on. I probably will become interested in vintage. Just not to start with.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Mantic59's youtube tutorials are pretty damn good at explaining every part of the shave.

I recall a few people in this thread wondering about the shaving creme/soap lather. Watch this.

Yeah, I watched a lot of them, but all the filler is annoying.

So, I see some people putting some water on the soap in it's tub and some not while letting the brush soak in water.

Sye d'Burns

Yeah, I watched a lot of them, but all the filler is annoying.

So, I see some people putting some water on the soap in it's tub and some not while letting the brush soak in water.

When I use a soap, I drop two or three drops of water on the soap and let it sit as my brush soaks. Using a couple of drops helps to soften the soap just enough that you aren't wasteful when you take your brush to it.

What works for me is, when I have a well soaked brush, taking it from my shaving cup and gving it one good flick into the sink, followed by a small flick. The brush is then no longer dripping. It's much easier to add a drop of water as you make lather than it is to take too much water out.

When you're whipping a lather, be careful to have the bristles only lightly brush the cup, bowl, face, etc. Light strokes, Up, down, side to side, wax on wax off work well. Also, be careful to minimize circular motions.

If you press the brush to hard or make a lot of circular motions, you will end up twisting and damaging the bristles.

bob page

Any aftershave recommendations other than the Nivea sensitive? I previously used it but stopped because it didn't seem to do much.

Sye d'Burns

Any aftershave recommendations other than the Nivea sensitive? I previously used it but stopped because it didn't seem to do much.

I use Superior 70 Bay Rum.

It's a basic bay rum with 69% alcohol by volume and bay oil, nothing else. There is no clove or spice just a very mild single note bay scent. It's used for everything from aftershave to arthritic joints. Great stuff and only $2.50 for 12 ounces. You'll find it in areas with a higher hispanic population.

A helpful review said:
Pros: Reliable, Compact, Easy To Use
This is alcohol with bay leaf oil in it, bay leaf oil is the base fragrance in many great smelling bay rum aftershave and colognes. Superior 70 has a very pleasant and light smelling bay leaf smell to it, its not really "bay rum" im my opinion as it doesn't have the other tradtional additions like cinnamon, clove, and various spice oils. But it is a very nice, uncomplex smelling alternative for anyone who likes bay rum to use as a aftershave.

bob page

I use Superior 70 Bay Rum.

It's a basic bay rum with 69% alcohol by volume and bay oil, nothing else. There is no clove or spice just a very mild single note bay scent. It's used for everything from aftershave to arthritic joints. Great stuff and only $2.50 for 12 ounces. You'll find it in areas with a higher hispanic population.

69% alcohol? Yikes. That'd probably be too much for my extremely sensitive skin.

I just realized that I have a tube of Art of Shaving unscented aftershave somewhere in my bathroom- maybe I'll test it out later since I like shaving cream so much.

Sye d'Burns

69% alcohol? Yikes. That'd probably be too much for my extremely sensitive skin.

I just realized that I have a tube of Art of Shaving unscented aftershave somewhere in my bathroom- maybe I'll test it out later since I like shaving cream so much.

Hehe, the first time you use it, it's definitely bracing. Your own personal Home Alone moment but it really nips irritation in the bud for me. I've got sensitive skin myself. Don't discount this one. Even if it doesn't work for you, at $2.50, it's a very cheap risk to take.

I can also recommend Proraso Pre and Post Shave Cream - 3.6 oz. It's good stuff and feels great as an aftershave.

ShaneB

Finally got my stuff. Very excited to try this out tomorrow.

dVGHH.jpg

Realize I didn't order a quality aftershave, but I know earlier in this thread people mentioned some basic face/acne cleanser that does the trick, so that's what I've been using before. Not so much as aftershave, but just been a face cleaning ritual for as long as I remember now. Figure for the most part my acne just came from bad shaving anyway, so maybe I don't need it now.

Maybe I'm just thinking too much, but it seems like I'm putting a lot of stuff on my face and that can't be good either.

bob page

Finally got my stuff. Very excited to try this out tomorrow.

dVGHH.jpg

Realize I didn't order a quality aftershave, but I know earlier in this thread people mentioned some basic face/acne cleanser that does the trick, so that's what I've been using before. Not so much as aftershave, but just been a face cleaning ritual for as long as I remember now. Figure for the most part my acne just came from bad shaving anyway, so maybe I don't need it now.

Maybe I'm just thinking too much, but it seems like I'm putting a lot of stuff on my face and that can't be good either.

If you wash your face with a cleanser after you shave and use a moisturizer, you shouldn't really need an aftershave unless you get bad razor burn.

I'd probably get a stand for your brush, you don't want it to get moldy or anything from improper storage.

ShaneB

If you wash your face with a cleanser after you shave and use a moisturizer, you shouldn't really need an aftershave unless you get bad razor burn.

I'd probably get a stand for your brush, you don't want it to get moldy or anything from improper storage.

Yeah, I thought the face cleaner stuff was ok since I had the....slyjfjsobsb acid (yeah, I cant remember what they said).

Knew I'd forget something, so thanks for the idea about getting a stand.

Sye d'Burns

Those who are about to shave, we salute you!

---

ShaneB, starting off with Feathers. Remember, apply no additional pressure. Let the weight of the razor do the job. You won't want to be keeping that brush in that container. It needs to air dry.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Did my first shave with a Derby blade.

My lather and application was pretty horrible but I completed the shave with three with the grain passes and no cuts.

Is it bad to do touch up without lather? I did around my lips and some parts of my chin can be hard. Didn't feel burn.

I'll improve and learn. I know my passes weren't great because I didn't map my beard.

The verdict is I really like having two sides to alternate between,not having my hair pulled, and not having whiskers get stuck between blades.

Edit: Oops, only washed the brush bristles with water. Is soap needed?

Sye d'Burns

Did my first shave with a Derby blade.

My lather and application was pretty horrible but I completed the shave with three with the grain passes and no cuts.

How was your lather? Was it soapy, bubbly? Runny? Describe it. When I first started, I was using too little water.

Is it bad to do touch up without lather? I did around my lips and some parts of my chin can be hard. Didn't feel burn.

I'll improve and learn. I know my passes weren't great because I didn't map my beard.

For really small clean ups, like right around the lips? You should be fine with just water. I wouldn't be making any strokes bigger than say 1/8" though. Each person's skin is different, you'll know fairly quickly if you've gone a little too far.

About mapping your face: Once you've made a good first pass, rub your face and neck and you'll begin to get a decent idea of how your hair grows. I've never sat down and mapped my face. Over time, I've just become familiar with my growth patterns.

The verdict is I really like having two sides to alternate between,not having my hair pulled, and not having whiskers get stuck between blades.

Water is fine. When you think about it, you would be rinsing out soap with more soap. When I rinse my brush I run it under the tap and thumb over the bristles until I don't see soapy bubbles.

ShaneB

Those who are about to shave, we salute you!

---

ShaneB, starting off with Feathers. Remember, apply no additional pressure. Let the weight of the razor do the job. You won't want to be keeping that brush in that container. It needs to air dry.

Yeah, not sure why I kept the brush in packaging for the shot, but of course, it won't be kept in there when I get it home. lol Will look into a stand/holder as mentioned. And I'll be watching vids on youtube to learn some techniques, maybe it'll be easier than I think.

SUPREME1

Banned

If it's a badger hair brush, no... just water will do.

However, after you've gotten all the cream or soap out of it, flick it towards the sink numerous times so that you get the remaining water out of it. The hairs will actually perk right up and it'll even look dry as the hair sheds water really well. It'll be damp but not soaking wet. It'll dry a lot faster this way.

Should the brush be stored upside down on a stand/holder, or should they be sitting on the handle? I think I read somewhere that they should sit on the handle but then I see all the stands holding them upside down.

SUPREME1

Banned
Should the brush be stored upside down on a stand/holder, or should they be sitting on the handle? I think I read somewhere that they should sit on the handle but then I see all the stands holding them upside down.

Doesn't matter. They sit upside down in the stand because the stand will only fit around that part of the brush and it just looks better upside down than with the brush towering high above the rest of the set. There are pics out there of both and it just looks better with it hanging upside down.

I use a deep Starbucks coffee mug as my shaving bowl. So once I'm done shaving and wash everything out, I stand the brush on it's handle inside the mug and it goes into the cabinet under the sink.

bob page

Doesn't matter. They sit upside down in the stand because the stand will only fit around that part of the brush and it just looks better upside down than with the brush towering high above the rest of the set. There are pics out there of both and it just looks better with it hanging upside down.

I use a deep Starbucks coffee mug as my shaving bowl. So once I'm done shaving and wash everything out, I stand the brush on it's handle inside the mug and it goes into the cabinet under the sink.

Actually, it does matter quite a bit. If you let the brush stand on its handle- bristles facing up- the remaining water will soak to the bottom and cause the handle to grow mold. With a holder that hangs the bristles downward, the water runs off and falls onto the counter.

Makes sense. Thanks!

So here's the haul I just ordered all on Amazon. Still need to find a cheap stand for the brush. Total came to $60.15 and should be here by Saturday. That's what, like 2 packs of Mach 3s? :)

EJ DE89
edwin-jagger-de89l__41565_zoom.jpg

41izG0UJUaL._SS500_.jpg

31RQKsiZq-L._SS500_.jpg

41MVspXbDlL._SS500_.jpg

ShaneB

gaf is getting creeped on hardcore guys.... check the 'gaming' link :lol:

http://sharpologist.com/2012/01/we-are-everywhere-shaving-discussions-in-non-shaving-forums.html

Oh man, haha, well ain't that neat. Maybe I'll send him a message.

Heh, thanks!

I got all my kit now, waiting for a non-work day (Saturday) before I go to town with this, giving myself a decent amount of time to learn how to shave with a DE.

Can't wait, frankly!

Same here, I'll probably shave tonight before bed so I can take some time and take my time and get the first time right. It is a bit odd to be so excited to shave, but it's cool!

Decado

Does anyone here use Edwin and Jagger products? I live in Vancouver and it seems like our options are somewhat limited (not to mention this stuff is damn expensive).

C.Dark.DN

Banned
How was your lather? Was it soapy, bubbly? Runny? Describe it. When I first started, I was using too little water.

For really small clean ups, like right around the lips? You should be fine with just water. I wouldn't be making any strokes bigger than say 1/8" though. Each person's skin is different, you'll know fairly quickly if you've gone a little too far.

About mapping your face: Once you've made a good first pass, rub your face and neck and you'll begin to get a decent idea of how your hair grows. I've never sat down and mapped my face. Over time, I've just become familiar with my growth patterns.

Water is fine. When you think about it, you would be rinsing out soap with more soap. When I rinse my brush I run it under the tap and thumb over the bristles until I don't see soapy bubbles.
I don't even know. I'll do my next shave tonight or tomorrow and tell you in more detail.

Makes sense, growth patterns. What doesn't is people go against the grain on a later pass, and to the side of the grain, and I don't even know.

If it's a badger hair brush, no... just water will do.

However, after you've gotten all the cream or soap out of it, flick it towards the sink numerous times so that you get the remaining water out of it. The hairs will actually perk right up and it'll even look dry as the hair sheds water really well. It'll be damp but not soaking wet. It'll dry a lot faster this way.
I meant when first buying. But I also wanted, yet didn't ask, more clarification on post shave drying which you guys touched on.

Does anyone here use Edwin and Jagger products? I live in Vancouver and it seems like our options are somewhat limited (not to mention this stuff is damn expensive).

Do a google search for Merkur vs Edwin Jagger, particularly with comparably priced models. On the shaving forums I checked out, the EJ almost always seemed like the favorite for most people. Both have good reviews though.

Esch

Banned
Yo blogger, I don't know what's amazing about it. This is the off-topic section. Doesn't matter what the on-topic section is.

We all shit, eat, shave, fuck, watch movies, like candy, etc.

Communities like to discuss things with each other.

I think the point is that wetshaving appears to be rebounding a bit. I'd be interested in whether merkur or feather and such have seen a rise in sales recently.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I think the point is that wetshaving appears to be rebounding a bit. I'd be interested in whether merkur or feather and such have seen a rise in sales recently.

Yeah. I interpreted it wrong. Or missed all the context, like being a shaving website. Sorry blogger man and lurkers.

Draft

I bet it has. When the metrosexual movement sputtered out thousands of men had developed burgeoning interests in style and grooming, but were put adrift, lost with no direction. And what they've discovered is that direction existed all along, and it was stuff their grandfathers did.

Esch

Banned
I bet it has. When the metrosexual movement sputtered out thousands of men had developed burgeoning interests in style and grooming, but were put adrift, lost with no direction. And what they've discovered is that direction existed all along, and it was stuff their grandfathers did.

Interesting angle with the Metro thing. I hadn't considered how much it changed the game. I think a lot of men were turned off by it initially because it began in a sort of...fruity framework, but the results showed off no matter how men were doing it. Looking good ain't really a bad thing no matter how you slice it, I suppose.

The shave thing is an inevitable result of frustrating results from mass market products and the cheesiness of half that shit. I can't buy an AXE product, it's just embarassing. And quite frankly even the dumbest person can see that the benefits of this:

22blades.jpg

Might be more than a little bit marketing jargon. Plus wetshaving is retro. It's traditional, and I like that. And the lather actually smells good and works.

Sye d'Burns

gaf is getting creeped on hardcore guys.... check the 'gaming' link :lol:

http://sharpologist.com/2012/01/we-are-everywhere-shaving-discussions-in-non-shaving-forums.html

That's actually Mantic59, the guy that makes all of those videos. Some of them were a great help to me when I was starting out.

---

There was a great post on badgerandblade some months back by a fellow that got a pretty big scoop on Gillette.

I was going through some old boxes in my attic yesterday, and found the article that I've scanned and posted with this post (the magazine cover image is above; the actual article, as a PDF, is linked below.) In light of my recent conversion to DE shaving, maybe some of you will be interested in the story behind it...

I was 27, it was 1989, and I was at my first serious job, working as a reporter in New York at a magazine covering the advertising and marketing industry. Gillette was my beat, and the company was about to announce a new, "secret" razor. The pressure to figure out what the company was doing before the official announcement was intense; I was in the chase with the business writers at the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, and all the other magazines in town that covered the company.

And I got the scoop by heading down to the US patent office and tediously going through all of Gillette's recent patents, then comparing them to what issue we thought Gillette's product might address, which - we believed - was the increasing marketshare being garnered by the Good News product, which had commoditized the company's business. I confirmed the info by calling the Gillette designer listed on the patents, who told me I was right. He probably shouldn't have, and he probably got in trouble (more on that in a second.)

Though we didn't get the name of the product - it would be called "Sensor" - I pretty much nailed the design, with the spring-loaded cartridges and the improvements (debatable!) on the Atra/Trac II designs.

- Dan

Adweek August said:
On Oct. 3, with great fanfare and a huge ad budget, Gillette plans to unveil a shaving system that returns to it's marketing roots: Selling the blade and not the razor. Will U.S. Patent No. 4,756,083 help stem the bleed on profits caused by disposables?

Lucius86

Banned
So, just had my first shave as a real man....

To start with, here is what I purchased thanks to advice from here and a couple of other web sites:

41MVspXbDlL._SS500_.jpg

9664.jpg

51RXjqqUBjL._SS500_.jpg

51cCuZ4HpbL._SS500_.jpg

41orlZTuLBL._SS500_.jpg

I started with the default Merkur blade rather than strapping on a feather blade for the first week. Used the arko stick on my face, and at first I was a bit worried as there didn't seem to be much transfer onto my face. But brushing up with some added water worked a charm - at this stage I did start to feel a bit like a boss.

Then the first few strokes - at first I was worried I was doing it wrong, and the blade was not making contact as it was so effortless across my sideburn. But I soon realised this was how this razor rolled - and it felt good. Like really good. No tug, just clean and smooth.

Everything was going fine until I got to my chin, when I got my first nick - was totally my fault, I had the blade at the wrong angle. But then I got to my neck, where I get ingrown hairs and terrible irritation - well, lets just say there was a fair amount of blood! But no irritation during shaving, still very smooth and comfortable. Clearly I need to work on my technique on my neck.

Washed my face clean, I then went to put tend skin on - OWWWWWWWWW. Fuck me this hurt. To be honest, I have been using it this week with my regular shaves and I noticed a lot less redness. But with these nicks, boy it burned like hell.

End result? I'm impressed. I got a really close shave going with the grain, I felt like a boss, it's been two hours and little razorburn, no itchiness and the redness I usually get at the bottom of my neck has already died down. It will take a few weeks to get a really good idea of how I get on with this, but I am really hopeful even after just one shave.

Kurdel

Banned
I use this and it works out pretty good if you just want a good exfoliating soap before shaving:

pg-3304b_1z.jpg

1-Warm washcloth to the face
2-Wash with this cream
3-Then saving cream
4-The newest Fusion powerglide 15 razor

It is the best thing I found so far.

Anyone ever use Magic Shaving Powder? I know you are all into the old school safety razor thing, but the powder seems so much easier/cheap for my easily susceptible to razor burn/ingrown hair skin.

Just completed my first shave and it was...awful. Probably the least close shave I've ever had. I basically got down to a 5 o'clock shadow. Not too much razor burn but I'm not really sure what I did wrong. I'll go watch some more YouTube videos and try to figure this out. Feel pretty stupid. :(

Also, I don't think I really like this razor. Unfortunately they sent me the plated, not lined version. I thought I wouldn't care but the all smooth surface makes the thing too damn slippery.

Mindlog

That's actually Mantic59, the guy that makes all of those videos. Some of them were a great help to me when I was starting out.
Yup. He's really helped a whole lot of people.

Anyone looking for a dirt cheap straight razor...?

http://www.straightrazor.co/c=p0InQ...turing-Americas-1-Selling-Straight-Razor.html
$35 with shipping with strop with lifetime warranty @_@

*I saw someone using Derby. It just proves the necessity of a variety pack. It was either Derby or Sword that absolutely mauled my face. I tried about 7 blades before I settled on Feathers.

JKTrix

I'm a black guy, and after seeing this thread and doing a lot of research I picked up an Edwin Jagger. It's said that the single blade razor is best for black men because multi-blade razors shave too far under the skin, so our curly hair is more prone to cause ingrowns and bumps and other irritation.

I haven't had to shave regularly for the last 3 years, but I will probably have to soon. Just did my first shave with the DE which took 25 minutes from start to clean-up. Didn't cut myself or anything, got a decent shave from 2 passes that would pass military inspection.

I might wait a couple days before I shave again to see if the 'less ingrown/razor bumps' theory is alleviated, because I have a lot of friends who are pretty much ready to jump onto this if it doesn't affect me since I have had major problems with it in the past. It really is a huge problem for black guys.

I'll definitely need a lot more practice, though.

My starter kit, minus the brush and Proraso cream.
http://yfrog.com/obw2zxcj

I'm a black guy, and after seeing this thread and doing a lot of research I picked up an Edwin Jagger. It's said that the single blade razor is best for black men because multi-blade razors shave too far under the skin, so our curly hair is more prone to cause ingrowns and bumps and other irritation.

I haven't had to shave regularly for the last 3 years, but I will probably have to soon. Just did my first shave with the DE which took 25 minutes from start to clean-up. Didn't cut myself or anything, got a decent shave from 2 passes that would pass military inspection.

I might wait a couple days before I shave again to see if the 'less ingrown/razor bumps' theory is alleviated, because I have a lot of friends who are pretty much ready to jump onto this if it doesn't affect me since I have had major problems with it in the past. It really is a huge problem for black guys.

If it's as bad as you say, I'd suggest TendSkin (or the recipe that Johnm1010 gave earlier). I was in the same situation as you, and the bumps still came back. It wasn't until I used the new razor and TendSkin that it went away. It feels good to not have to use clippers to keep the bumps away.

It was also recommended in the Black Culture thread, if that helps

zero_suit

I use the same DE razor, and I haven't had any razor bumps or ingrown hairs so far after 3 shaves (I only need to shave twice per week).

Sye d'Burns

Just completed my first shave and it was...awful. Probably the least close shave I've ever had. I basically got down to a 5 o'clock shadow. Not too much razor burn but I'm not really sure what I did wrong. I'll go watch some more YouTube videos and try to figure this out. Feel pretty stupid. :(

Also, I don't think I really like this razor. Unfortunately they sent me the plated, not lined version. I thought I wouldn't care but the all smooth surface makes the thing too damn slippery.

Wow, it sounds like you didn't have the best experience. I'm sorry to hear that.

Your post was a little light on details and there are several possible causes. I'm just going to list off a couple of things that come to mind.

1) Pressing too hard. Seriously, you may think you're using a light touch. Make it lighter still.
2) Angle. If your angle is too shallow, you'll just end up scraping your face. If it's too deep, you may nick yourself or on flatter areas do little more than rub the top of the razor over your skin and remove very little of the whiskers.
3) The way you're holding the razor. You may find it helpful to hold the razor with your thumb and forefinger just beneath the head. This helps both with angle and pressure. It will also help you with the slippery nature of your particular razor.
4) It could be the blade. Like the poster beneath you alluded, blades that work for some, may not work for others.

One thing I enjoy about using single edge safety razors is that there is much less a variety of blades. It seems counterintuitive but with only 3 or 4 blade types commonly available, it takes a lot of the guesswork out of finding the blade for you.

You may be interested in something like this 100 blade variety pack for $22.00. I hope I haven't included a referral code. I can't really figure out Amazon's link format. I bought one very similar but a bit more expensive when I first bought my DE. Packs like these allow you to get cover the spectrum of blades on the cheap.

edit: I dug through my order history and found the pack I originally ordered. 105 Best Blade Sampler Feather Shark Astra Bluebird Lord. It's more expensive, at $36.95, and there's also no prime on this one, but it has a better, more diverse sampling of blades.

105 of the best Continental Blades in the market These are brand NEW Double Edge Razor Blades 21 DIFFERENT BLADES: 5 FEATHER Hi-Stainless (Japan) 5 BLUEBIRD (Turkey) 5 ASTRA Superior Stainless (Russia) 5 ASTRA Superior Platinum (Russia) 5 Super-Max Platinum (India) 5 Super-Max Stainless (India) 5 TRIG Silver Edge Stainless (Pakistan) 5 7 O'clock Super Stainless (Russia) 5 GOAL Stainless (India) 5 7 O'clock Super Platinum (Russia) 5 LORD Super Chrome (Egypt) 5 LORD Super Stainless Classic (Egypt) 5 LORD Platinum Class (Egypt) 5 LORD Super Stainless (Egypt) 5 SHARK Super Stainless (Egypt) 5 SHARK Super Chrome(Egypt) 5 CROWN Super Stainless (Egypt) 5 ASCO Super Stainless (Egypt) 5 BIGBEN Super Stainless (Egypt) 5 DERBY(Turkey) 5 TREET Platinum (Pakistan) Highest quality blades made to fit different double edge safety razors like Merkur, Parker, Feather, Weishi and Wilkinson Sword...

ShaneB

Just did my first run with the new stuff. It was mostly fantastic, but still some a few things I need to improve. Really didn't seem like my lather was as good as it should've been, so I know that will need some practice. The proraso soap was hard as a rock, so I guess there's something I'm missing. I know others use it here, so any advice is appreciated of course.

Tried it again today since there was so much stubble left over from yesterday. I feel like I'm working up a pretty decent with the Proraso (which kind of burns by the way, so much for sensitive skin). It seems to dry pretty quickly on my face though which I'm guessing is why the blades feels like it's trying to pull, not slice the hairs. I was really careful to try to keep that 30 degree angle today and not push. The shave was a little closer on the cheeks but the neck is not much better and it's still no where near as close as my electric Braun.

Not sure what the answer is. I know in one of the videos I watched he said keep you face warm but by the time my lather is built up in the Proraso bowl and I put it on my face, it's kinda cold, even though I have a sink full of hot water that I'm using.

I'm returning this EJ razor too. The thing gets so slippery after it's wet that it's near damn near impossible to hold securely.

bob page

The problem is still with your technique, even if you might not notice it. It takes weeks to get it mastered. One day, it might just click and you'll have an amazing shave from then on.

The warm aspect really shouldn't matter too much, just make sure your face is warm at some point before you start shaving. It sounds like you might not be using enough water for your lather, so try adding more.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
What's the consensus on DE + modern gel if you wanted to focus on razor technique?

I know it can be used if you make sure it doesn't dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom