• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sai

I'm the original, black, burly Sai that doesn't post anymore.

Sai-kun's the Gagatard.

:p

Oh—and I'm actually good at this game!

Myyke

Neo Member
You on today? I'll be on from 7-9.30, got to get off early as I have an exam tomorrow.

Another prostate exam already? I'm pretty sure you only need to get that done once a year Elzar...

YNeLd.gif

Overdoziz

Banned
I'll be perfectly honest, which might get some rage from "non-adapters", but that was really damn cool. 10/10.
The jetpack if used competently* is really overpowered on Boardwalk. You can get around so much easier and faster with it than with any other AA it's pretty ridiculous.

*By this I mean not going straight up in the air as soon as you spawn.

Karl2177

[IM]http://i.imgur.com/VrLDg.png[/IMG]

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=913478878&player=Myyke

http://i.imgur.com/JPKYT.jpg[/IM][/QUOTE]Breakneck is different from Headlong. If I remember right, red team gets the Gauss 'Hog on Headlong.

[quote="Overdoz1z, post: 34500585"]The jetpack if used competently* is really overpowered on Boardwalk. You can get around so much easier and faster with it than with any other AA it's pretty ridiculous.

*By this I mean not going straight up in the air as soon as you spawn.[/QUOTE]

I've gone up against some decent Jetpackers on Boardwalk, but no one really good. I like this mostly because without Jetpack, that would have been impossible to get up there and get the multi-kill otherwise. As much as I complain about map routes being destroyed by Jetpack, this was pretty cool.

Louis Wu

Breakneck is different from Headlong. If I remember right, red team gets the Gauss 'Hog on Headlong.
That IS Headlong (Breakneck is a TU map, not an Anniversary one, and that's an Anniversary gametype).

If you look at the Carnage report, Myyke had 18 Gauss hog kills. :)

Myyke

Neo Member
Breakneck is different from Headlong. If I remember right, red team gets the Gauss 'Hog on Headlong.

As Wu mentioned that is Headlong, Breakneck just shows up as "Breakneck" on the carnage report.

Blue actually gets the Gauss on Headlong, whereas on Breakneck its just a normal Hog. I have to say though that on Breakneck I have always found it to be a 50/50 on which side gets the Banshee, if a full Hog of Blues goes straight to the Banshee at the beginning of the match they have a good chance of either a) grabbing the banshee, or b) losing the banshee but destroying/heavily damaging it with the Hog chaingun.

I personally don't see any major handicap playing Blue on either map.

heckfu

Banned
The thing about the banshee I've noticed in my playthroughs is that whoever gets it first gets it quick, that's a given. And yeah, it's way overpowered but if I'm on a decent team of people I'm playing with we can team shoot it down fairly quickly in TU gametypes. It's much harder in Anny without the DMR start, true, but competent teams shouldn't have a HUGE issue.

Would I still hope it gets nerfed? Of course, it would level the playing field but I'm just trying to adapt.

Karl2177

As Wu mentioned that is Headlong, Breakneck just shows up as "Breakneck" on the carnage report.

Blue actually gets the Gauss on Headlong, whereas on Breakneck its just a normal Hog. I have to say though that on Breakneck I have always found it to be a 50/50 on which side gets the Banshee, if a full Hog of Blues goes straight to the Banshee at the beginning of the match they have a good chance of either a) grabbing the banshee, or b) losing the banshee but destroying/heavily damaging it with the Hog chaingun.

I personally don't see any major handicap playing Blue on either map.

Okay okay, my bad. I opened the tab, read Breakneck and made a poor assumption. In most of my Headlong games, whichever team that spawns near the Gauss usually gets the win. For Breakneck, it usually comes down to who can jack the Banshee. It's hardly ever about getting there first.

feel

There will be a beta, besides the obvious testing and feedback reasons it's massively important for the marketing side of things. No way MS will allow 343i to pass on the buzz a public beta creates.

Myyke

Neo Member
Okay okay, my bad. I opened the tab, read Breakneck and made a poor assumption. In most of my Headlong games, whichever team that spawns near the Gauss usually gets the win. For Breakneck, it usually comes down to who can jack the Banshee. It's hardly ever about getting there first.

The main reason I point out "getting there first" is to highlight that if it was significantly easier for one team to get it right at the start (which I honestly believe it isn't) then I could see there being at least some disadvantage playing on the other side.

Louis Wu

The only times I've been totally wrecked by the Banshee on Headlong (or Breakneck) are when a bunch of people on my team quit. If it's a full team of 8, one or two people dedicated to taking down the flying monstrosity can manage it - there's tons of cover. (When half your team DOES quit, it's nearly impossible, because the non-flyers are all focused on you while you're focused on killing the 'shee.)

I still don't like Banshees (on my team, OR the other team) - but I dislike them less on Headlong than on most maps.

The main reason I point out "getting there first" is to highlight that if it was significantly easier for one team to get it right at the start (which I honestly believe it isn't) then I could see there being a disadvantage playing on the other side.

Shut up 'junior'.

Nice work for a scrub.
Kidding, pretty unlucky the fifth one didn't spawn already otherwise you could of had a sweet exterm.

Halo 4, mercenaries playlist for those of us who happen to play when no one else is on and throw the guests in their own shit too. The amount of idiots in games is staggering but going up against a group that is not full of them, with nothing but people who probably can't tie their fucking shoe let alone play the game with one iota of common sense is just frustrating. And for it to happen more than once in a night makes me turn the fucking Xbox off so fast.

I rage quit two games in a row the other night because I wasn't going to sit through such shenanigans. Actively trying only to get shit on is not fun, and I won't stay in the game out of some warped sense of masochistic pride. I'll stay in games in which I'm losing too, that's never a problem, it's just aggravating when the spawn camping occurs or I'm blue team on fucking Headlong.

I can't carry every group of morons you happen to MM me with. I don't care how much of asshole that makes me sound like at this point.
Blue Team has the Gauss Hog, right? If blue team has a good driver and a good shooter, blue will dominate always on Headlong. Or this is my experience with it.

There will be a beta, besides the obvious testing and feedback reasons it's massively important for the marketing side of things. No way MS will allow 343i to pass on the buzz a public beta creates.
Beta doesn't mean always good PR. And without marketing in advance are beta can fail badly. I know about ~50 guys who cancelled their pre-order of Resistance 3 or Battlefield 3 because of the beta.

Hopefully the game is at a place where a beta will be possible. I know that I passed on BF3 because of the beta and there being so much other stuff to play. I am sure I wasn't alone.

Trey

RE: Retro's H4 Wishlist

I mainly disagreed with the silenced SMG as the starting weapon, the implementation of AAs into weapons, and--although I agree with the implementation of a hub level structure--some of your elements weren't feasible to me. Or more precisiely my view of what Halo 4 should be.

Mostly, though, I want to scrutinize your weapon AAs idea. I feel this will not work for a variety of reasons. Generally, you would be shoehorning most of the power-ups and gameplay augments into single pickups. Meaning that player(s) would have even more of an advantage over one that still has basic spawn weoponry. The obvious answer would be to balance the starting weapon AAs against those of the other weapons' AAs, but then you would have to consider both the weapon's firing capability and its AA. That's a lot of power to put into each weapon, especially if base player attributes makes it difficult to compensate. You would have to balance maps and the weapon placement therein to compensate for two variables, as opposed to the current one. There also runs the issue of power overlaps if there is a imbalance of the weapon to AA ratio, or vice versa, possibly skewing the sandbox.

However, I'm not anti-AA, and I feel they can be reasonably added to the Halo sandbox if they are properly implemented. Some want to rid the franchise of AAs all together, as an entire idea, leaving Halo at its basic point and shoot dynamic that . That's lazy and stale. Fuck that idea. Fuck them, too, if they complain. So let's hash this out.

I propose we keep certain equipment as possible loadouts (like grenade types, starting weapons, perhaps ammo types), grant certain abilities like evade and sprint to players on a fundamental level capped with a stamina guage (and balance level design and other gameplay elements to compensate for this, as you would balance level design to compensate for the ability to jump or crouch), and leave the likes of overshields and invisibility as passive pickups. And allow all of these elements to be modified at the player's discretion.

This way, every player would have enough options at a base level to deal with everything in the sandbox if the player is sufficiently skilled, there would be incentive to capture power-ups to gain an edge, and individual loadouts will still be possible which fosters variable (albeit possibly more "Random") gameplay if players so desire.

Arnie

Finished an exam and hoped to log onto GAF for some Halo 4 news, was sorely disappointed.

I really don't see why it's taking so long. We've had basically nothing since last E3. Sorry for the broken record too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom