• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of Final Fantasy's 25th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

Ultratech

I may try and finish up my current playthrough of XII IZJS, since I'm just kinda messing around at the "endgame" phase.

No idea if I'll go back and play the others...
(Maybe I & II, since I haven't played those in a while; kinda wanna speedrun them.)

thefro

May try to finish up FF8 (on the 2nd disc) and play FF9 for the first time, but those are both behind Zelda, a second playthrough of The Last Story when the European version releases, and all my Steam games on the backlog.

Seik

Banned
I need to do VII soon, I try to do it at least once a year. I do this since...hmmm...10 years? XD

I need help. =_=

RPGCrazied

The next one I'm playing is XIII-2. :p I don't have a PS2 anymore, so the PS2 games are out. I guess I could rock out the PSX ones. Square, make an HD collection already! I know you are doing X by itself, but I want the whole series on a couple blu-ray discs. :p

Hobbun

Yes, you can select the difficulty when you start a new game.

It's still got the old magic system (with magic levels and limited uses per level) instead of MP and the graphics are more similar to the style of the Wonderswan remakes. It misses the bonus dungeons of the GBA and PSP remakes, though.
If you meant compared to the original: There are some tweaks like that you won't miss if you killed an enemy after entering a command and something with reviving, I don't remember exactly. I think you can turn them off, if you want too.

Ok, thanks!

I’ve only played the original and the PSP versions of FF1. I will definitely have to play the Origins version. I really like that they go back to the Vancian magic system (spells per day) than magic points. MPs are one of the things that made the PSP version too simple. MPs can work, but not when the spells are too inexpensive to cast.

Deefuzz

I'll try to play through at least one this year. For some reason my interest in Final Fantasy has dwindled, yet I pick up every game released. I don't think I have actually finished one since X...time to change that.

RPGCrazied

I'll try to play through at least one this year. For some reason my interest in Final Fantasy has dwindled, yet I pick up every game released. I don't think I have actually finished one since X...time to change that.

Whoa. At least play XII.

I recently played through FF6 for the first time on VC and I really enjoyed it. I'm debating whether I should replay FF5 which I played on the PSX and now own on PSN or if I should play FF4 on VC, not sure if it's available on other platforms, since that one somehow slipped by me in all my years playing FF games.

Aeana

I started a new game in FF1, since I wanted to use more "classic" names.
I forgot to take screenshots for a while, and I remembered by the time I got to Astos, so here's some stuff.

4zCqJ.jpg

Ok guy.

vzvI9.jpg

I forgot to heal my warrior before battle, so he died. Now my levels are uneven, and I can't even describe how irritating that is to me.

Inkvg.jpg
QrP2J.jpg

Yay stuff. (with more stuff incoming once I actually go use the key)

KHPd0.jpg

And here's where I'm at right now. It's honestly really comical how easy the PSP version is. I just walk ahead and fight stuff. I fought ~10 battles before I got to Pravoka, including Garland, and I was level 5 right before I walked in, which is kinda nuts. I'm usually not even level 5 by the time I get to Elfheim in the PSX version.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I started a new game in FF1, since I wanted to use more "classic" names.
I forgot to take screenshots for a while, and I remembered by the time I got to Astos, so here's some stuff.

4zCqJ.jpg

Ok guy.

vzvI9.jpg

I forgot to heal my warrior before battle, so he died. Now my levels are uneven, and I can't even describe how irritating that is to me.

Inkvg.jpg
QrP2J.jpg

Yay stuff. (with more stuff incoming once I actually go use the key)

KHPd0.jpg

And here's where I'm at right now. It's honestly really comical how easy the PSP version is. I just walk ahead and fight stuff. I fought ~10 battles before I got to Pravoka, including Garland, and I was level 5 right before I walked in, which is kinda nuts. I'm usually not even level 5 by the time I get to Elfheim.
Is this the PSN version of I?

Edit:
Nvm, just noticed the text at the bottom. Reading fail.

xxczx

I bought Final Fantasy Tactics WotL and FFIII for my iPod couple of days ago, haven't played much of both (because of Chaos Rings) but damn, Tactics is hard! Going to start a new game and try to remember to take screens.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm going to try to do MQ + 4-10 this year.

The last time I tried to do a series playthrough was 2007, where I played 1-8, MQ, X-2, and half of X. Thinking about doing it again, I don't feel like playing I-III.

Not sure what platforms I'm going to do. Here's what I've got:

MQ: US SNES
4: US SNES, JPN SFC, US PS1, US GBA, US DS. Don't feel like playing 4R.
5: US SNES, JPN SFC, US PS1, US GBA
6: US SNES, JPN SFC, US PS1, US GBA
7: US PS1
8: US PS1
9: US PS1
10: US PS2

Plus I've got a PSP Go, an iPad (+ bluetooth wii remote), and a PC so my emulation options for not playing on original carts would be pretty good too.

I'll be participating, but I can't post screens. :(

Sure you can. If you're playing on a TV, SD resolution capture cards are maybe $30-40. If you're playing on a PSP, homebrew allows screen captures. Both great options!

Hobbun

Yes, that bothers me as well in RPGs in trying to keep my characters level/same EXP. I have always reset if I have a character dead at the end of a battle. Well, I’ve done that with the exception of games where classes needs more XP to level and you end up with varying levels, anyways (like DQ IX).

It's honestly really comical how easy the PSP version is. I just walk ahead and fight stuff. I fought ~10 battles before I got to Pravoka, including Garland, and I was level 5 right before I walked in, which is kinda nuts. I'm usually not even level 5 by the time I get to Elfheim in the PSX version.

I like the updated graphics of the PSP remake, but I agree that it is way too easy. I will be playing the Origins version on my FF1 playthrough.

Ironlion45

Neo Member
Wow, 25 years already? You don't know how old this makes me feel ><. I still have the cartridge for the old 8-bit NES game "Final Fantasy", appended by no ordinal roman numerals of any kind. Yes, the one from 1987.

Maybe I'll play that!...if I can find a tv that I can still hook up to with an RF switch...

Chris R

Is there an emulator hack or something else that will speed up combat in FFIX? IE eliminate the enemy load in and speed up the combat to 1.5-2x? If not I guess I'll just play it on my PSP while I'm in bed vs on my tv during gaming sessions.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Is there an emulator hack or something else that will speed up combat in FFIX? IE eliminate the enemy load in and speed up the combat to 1.5-2x? If not I guess I'll just play it on my PSP while I'm in bed vs on my tv during gaming sessions.

Yeah, this is what made me skip 9 the last time I played through. Love the game, really have a hard time coping with how slow things are for replay purposes.

Jucksalbe

Banned
You can decrease load times on the PSP (Option "Fast Load" or something similar) and I think you can set the battle speed in the options menu of the game?

Chris R

You can decrease load times on the PSP (Option "Fast Load" or something similar) and I think you can set the battle speed in the options menu of the game?

That only does so much. The enemies still take quite a bit of time to load into battle and battle is still not as fast as it could be.

Labadal

I'm going to try to do MQ + 4-10 this year.

Sure you can. If you're playing on a TV, SD resolution capture cards are maybe $30-40. If you're playing on a PSP, homebrew allows screen captures. Both great options!

There's no way to take screen captures on 3DS, is there? Playing FFTA2.

xxczx

That only does so much. The enemies still take quite a bit of time to load into battle and battle is still not as fast as it could be.
but the dodgy half a minute opening camera angles are part of the game!

I really feel like playing FFIX now on my PSP :(

what are the great, must-play FF games?

The FF Community Thread is the right place to talk about this; let's keep this thread for discussing the playing of the games, please. I want to pre-emptively stave off any ZOMG LETS RANK THE FF GAMES stuff in here. :p

As for &#8216;Origins&#8217; being the definitive version for FFI, does it have the higher difficult similar to the original?

Origins is the original game with updated graphics/music, some interface improvements, and a few bug fixes. IIRC (it's been a long time) you can optionally turn on some later-series features like automatic retargeting when your target dies, but otherwise it's still the same game as the original NES release.

4: US SNES, JPN SFC, US PS1, US GBA, US DS. Don't feel like playing 4R.
5: US SNES, JPN SFC, US PS1, US GBA
6: US SNES, JPN SFC, US PS1, US GBA
7: US PS1
8: US PS1
9: US PS1
10: US PS2

I hate the US version of FF4, personally, so I would probably recommend the GBA version (if the bugs don't bother you) or I guess emulate the J2E fan-translation of 4j on your iPad. And I know you've heard me go on about how awesome FF5 is on GBA.

Chris R

but the dodgy half a minute opening camera angles are part of the game!

I really feel like playing FFIX now on my PSP :(

The game plays fine on the PSP, outside of the battle slowness. The only thing I really missed was being able to swap in a turbo controller for the Chocographs digging.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Aeana's ongoing grousing while she plays has somehow convinced me to christen my PSP Go with FF1 via FF Origins.

I'll start it up today, and I'll be screencapping as I go too. Should be fun!

Kokonoe

Banned
The first one is so underrated. It was a huge deal when it hit the NES. All my friends were playing it. I used Fighter , Thief, Red Mage , Black Mage. I had no idea if it was a good party or not. I barely beat chaos, only the red mage was left alive (one more hit would have killed me) and i killed him with one last swing of the sword. One of my greatest childhood moments.

Oh yeah and I named the Red Mage "Cool".

How cool is that?

I still have my NES cartridge with the case I got at Krogers (this one actually had NES games there which was cool) in 1997-1998ish. It was my first Final Fantasy, although I was hearing about FF7 a lot at the time. However, I had the Genesis, SNES, NES, and N64 and not the PS1 back than.

Anyways, I fell in love with this game, and I played it a lot. My only issue is every time I would get anywhere far, the cartridge would eventually whipe my save file which sucked. I still haven't beaten FF1, I did however recently get the PSP version which I plan on beating. I miss how Fighter used to look in the original game, I prefer that look to his new "Warrior" look.

I used Fighter, Monk, Red Mage, and Black Mage. My Red Mage name was Link actually hah.

Murkas

Bought FF7,9 and WotL off PSN as they were on sale. I've already finished 7 and tactics numerous times as they're my favourites so I'll be focussing on 9. I never did finish that, my friend loaned me his copy and I finished disk 3 but disk 4 was too scratched up and wouldn't work, never bothered replaying it in all these years even though I enjoyed it a lot.

After 9 I'll probably hunt down a copy of 12 as I hear that was great as well. (I can't say I like the look of Vaan though)

Before I do that though I will need to play 6, haven't played that either, which is the best version to get, GBA, SNES, or PS1? I hear one of them is censored, and I'm from glorious PAL land which never got the SNES version originally so would my options be limited?

Aeana

As I go through my screenshots, I realize how boring they are, and I don't really have much to say about each one since going through this game has been really uneventful so far. I also missed my chance to take a screenshot of the vampire's death, which makes me feel like the whole thing is ruined now. (._. ) At any rate, I'm heading out so I'll post some stuff when I get home.

I just beat Lich and went to get the canoe, and have 1:46 on the clock. I don't remember if this is fast or slow for me, but we'll see where I end up at the end of the game.

B.K.

I just realized that I've never finished Final Fantasy III. I think the furthest I've made it in the game is the dungeon where
you have to mini the party.
I've never been past that.

Should I play FF4 on VC or on the PSX with FF Chronicles? I've heard the translation on the original is terrible.

The PS1 version of IV will be fine. It's got a few bugs, but it's not as bad as VI. It's the best PS1 port out of IV, V, and VI.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Might be a perfect opportunity for a 9 replay. Kinda rushed things through a little when 'back in the day', playing on a 13" tv hooked up in my college dorm.

Seanspeed

Banned
I just realized that I've never finished Final Fantasy III. I think the furthest I've made it in the game is the dungeon where

I haven't finished it, either. I'm quite a bit farther than you, but I absolutely cant beat this one section for the life of me.

B.K.

I haven't finished it, either. I'm quite a bit farther than you, but I absolutely cant beat this one section for the life of me.

I've tried to make it through the game five or six times over the years, but I ALWAYS drop the game at that point. I don't know if I'll ever beat it.

Sky_Blue

Neo Member
Might give FFVIII another playthrough, it was the first FF I played as I didn't have a PS1 when FFVII came out and when I did buy one FFVIII was being hyped all over the place. Also I'm from the UK so completely missed out on FFI to VI as they weren't released there until years later and on different formats.

Absolutely loved VIII, to me at the time back in 1999 it was like a revelation - I honestly had never seen anything like it before and it was pretty much my whole life for the 3 or 4 weeks it took me to finish it. I remember watching the ending sequence with my jaw on the floor in awe at the amazing CGI sequences and the stunning end credits music.

I know the story has its faults and the junction system could have been better designed but to me it doesn't matter - this game blew my mind and I still love it today.

Also, definitely going to be playing FFXIII-2 next month!

Aeana

I haven't finished it, either.  I'm quite a bit farther than you, but I absolutely cant beat this one section for the life of me.

Oh, you guys... it's so short. Just change all of your guys to black mages and get through it in about 10 minutes.

B.K.

I should start a new game of III, but I started a new game of Etrian Odyssey a few days ago. I can't play more than one game at a time.

Ultratech

I just beat Lich and went to get the canoe, and have 1:46 on the clock. I don't remember if this is fast or slow for me, but we'll see where I end up at the end of the game.

PSP remakes are pretty much based off the GBA ones, IIRC.
So it's not that surprising that you're blowing through it pretty quick. They really made the games a ton easier in those remakes to a point where it's almost too easy.

It's not THAT bad...
1. Use Mini on everybody.
2. Move everyone to the Back Row.
3. Turn everyone to Black Mages.
4. Use Magic!
5. Get through cave.
6. Success!

Not so bad compared to that asshat Garuda and its uber Lightning.

CSX

in honor of happy 25, i shall buy XIII-2 and all incoming crappy DLC for it...and maybe i'll play it.

Still waiting for you X remake. please be good

Hmm, I think I want to do this, but its going to be missing some games because I played FF6/7/10/12 during the fall of 2011 >.>

So I guess this is my list:
FF4: DS version is best version
FF5: Advance version of course
FF8
FF9
FF13
FF13-2

Top Bottom