• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of Final Fantasy's 25th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

Aeana

Ah FF2. If there's one thing that makes this game easier, it's understanding how broken the elemental resistances are. I just fought the fire gigas in the Tower of Mysidia and literally killed him in one cast of blizzard.

Gravijah

soaroneepyj3.png

i am so alone

The first half of VI wasn't bad, but the game completely falls apart in
the World of Ruin.
Chrono Trigger handled the non-linear second half much better than VI.

It's a love it or hate it thing. I liked the episodic backstory approach. Felt unique.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
The first half of VI wasn't bad, but the game completely falls apart in
the World of Ruin.
Chrono Trigger handled the non-linear second half much better than VI.

I didn't have fun playing the game in general. Like FFV the battling/grinding didn't really do anything for me! The slow tile based movements something I could only ever really bare with in Pokémon to. VI'd prolly be more fun for me to watch then to play.

All right, it's Final Fantasy time!

KLR5B.png

Hey, what's going on here? It's almost like I'm playing the NES original.

Young warriors? Always with the kiddies doin' all the hard work!

Ok, here we go:

1.jpg

Time to play FFIV. I've started the game a few times (though never this version), but hopefully this will be first time I make it past the first hour. Time to roll, Cecil.

2.jpg

I immediately start getting FFXII flashbacks as the game starts off by playing itself.

3.jpg

Of course I loved FFXII, so really I could play the whole game like this...

4.jpg

Ok, maybe not. Meanwhile, Cecil sorts out his bedroom drama...

5.jpg

Ten minutes in and things are already awkward. No wonder Cecil turns to random women on the streets.

6.jpg

Of course we've all been there, so that burning sensation the next morning should come as no surprise.

7.jpg

So I'm now ten minutes in and Cecil has already had more bad luck than any other FF main character. More to come soon, including actually playing the game.

Aeana

Just entered Pandaemonium in FF2. I love the music here, and it looks really cool in the PSP version. I'll throw up a screenshot later on.

Vamphuntr

Played the game a bit more. I'm at the battle with Kefka for Narshe's esper right now.

Locke's sub chapter is probably my favorite. Not too much random encounter and it's a small puzzle to escape the town. Nice coding too like how you can steal the merchant's uniform.

DidZb.png

Boss is easy. The game even tells you to use runic to win.

ukx7D.png

Sabin's sub chapter is probably the longest. It drags on for a while too. I swear there's a random encounter every three steps in the train. The part with Cyan is depressing :(. Even the soldiers think Kefka is insane!

gVoEv.png

5BAnj.png

VWBvZ.png

What's up with that guy?
vrPWJ.png

If I remember well, you have to get back the item he stole from you at the arena later on?

I used the phoenix down trick on the train...
Yf6rF.png

TiQ8y.png

HE'S A TREASURE HUNTER.

hhvNh.png

>.>

GW8FP.png

Or something else entirely...

So when we last left Cecil, he was still recovering from a terrible one night stand:

8.jpg

Actually, this picture is a result from not knowing that Darkness drained HP. Which is probably more embarrassing than all the STD jokes so far.

9.jpg

At this point even the game is telling me this whole thing is a bad idea, which lead to a lot of second-guessing.

10.jpg

Post must go on however, despite Kain's best effort to fuck me over:

14.jpg

Jerk. After sidelining Kain for the remainder of the fight, the dragon went down with ease.

15.jpg

Well, Cecil, maybe next time you won't be so quick to whip out your dark sword. Great, now it's spreading.

16.jpg

It sure as hell wasn't Kain.

17.jpg

Oh shit, I take it back, it was totally Kain.

18.jpg

Whew, I think she bought it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So, like, this game has one of the best soundtracks in the series. No, it isn't Final Fantasy VI. It's...

CI7jk.png

Yeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaah.
epbAg.gif
Mystic Quest

So anyway, doesn't the main character look like Megaman to you?

The sprite may not be completely accurate, but it's quite Megaman-esque, so...

YuD28.png

Tee hee.

The game starts in media res. There's an earthquake! And poor Megaman is in a strange predicament.

5nP4d.png
eRtAn.png

Uh... Sure. Why not? He seems trustworthy! I am reading all of the Old Man's dialogue in this guy's voice, btw. It makes the dialogue fun!

PJPoH.png

I love tutorials, don't you? Jump!

fjfHB.png

Well, shit. I guess he's trustworthy after all.

qgpMJ.png
n9vXN.png
fhX9n.png
yy3Aj.png

..."are in desperate need of help", I know, I know. Couldn't they have just called it the Babel Tower?

x0cB0.png

I like the name change already.

2xZLS.png

If I do this, will Capcom allow me to get off of the Moon?

IKH1w.png

Convenient! Battle tutorial without the tutorial part! Yay.

epbAg.gif
Hill of Destiny

aX13R.png
96KLa.png
EX0Rs.png

Why is the monster 300x my size?! And some hero Megaman turned out to be. He doesn't have spells or items. He only has a dinky sword.

19VxD.png
LCrHn.png

I like how the portraits change to show how close the enemy is to defeat.

ssbR9.png
SE8DH.png

And it dies a horrible horrible death.

IWdnl.png
7cfYU.png
Gc2Ec.png
S6hoZ.png

Wat. And what is this animation? Is it a shrug? A "grrrrrr, I don't like you!" animation? What is it supposed to be?

7IDPG.png

Who was the genius at Squaresoft who came up with that name? Sounds so Engrish.

ukibo.png

How did he get his Flying Nimbus is my question. I want one!

Before we go to Level Forest, let's explore what else Megaman doesn't have, shall we?

Hsj8k.png
jMqnF.png
sTkdQ.png
zjMLz.png
thmeX.png

A dinky sword, dinky armour, and dinky stats. Ok. Got it. Show me the final boss. And let's change how the HP bar looks. I dislike that thing a lot.

e7cx5.png
NSBek.png

Oh, you asshole. I see how this working relationship's going to be now.

ktjPD.png
Vj6Xd.png

I would, if you moved outta the way.

...wait, I wonder if I can jump over people?

9i0RY.png

Oh my God, best Final Fantasy confirmed.

M3jLf.png
5GMdn.png
vMBTp.png

Gosh, sir. I don't think Kaeli would appreciate me showing her crooked tree branches, but ok.

4plj8.png

This is how Megaman will operate. He will find stuff and use them. Buying stuff is for losers, as you can see by his inventory at the beginning of the game.

Next time: off to find Kaeli and give her the gift of tree branches.

Aeana

FF2 is complete.

WWM7N.jpg

Here's my final party. I actually died against the final boss the first time, which really stunk. But on the second time through, I got much more lucky - the boss wasted his time casting stuff like slow and dispel a lot more often, giving me more time to pummel him to death. It unfortunately turned out that any physical attack from him would kill whoever it hit in one shot, just because my stats are kinda lower than they're supposed to be, so I did a lot of reviving and used all of the elixirs I got throughout the game, as well. I also relied on haste 9 from the masamune to boost my damage to a respectable level, since it kinda sucked without it.

I'm not sure if I'll start FF3 right away or not. I think I'm going to play the iOS version just because that's a new one for me, despite playing the DS version before. I really prefer the Famicom version, but I've played that one so many times. Then again, maybe if I were able to keep up with screenshots and stuff, it would be cool for people who have only played it on DS. Hmm.

Aeana

I guess I'll do the Famicom version of 3, since I'm finding that a lot of people who don't like FF3 don't like it because some of the stuff that's exclusive to the DS version. I'd like to show how the Famicom version is different (and better).

I guess I'll do the Famicom version of 3, since I'm finding that a lot of people who don't like FF3 don't like it because some of the stuff that's exclusive to the DS version. I'd like to show how the Famicom version is different (and better).

I'd be interested in that too. 3 is the only mainline one besides 4 (and I guess 10-2) that I haven't beaten. I think I was turned off by the plodding nature of it, but it's been so long now.

I tried getting Final Fantasy III to run on my PSP earlier today, but it resulted in a FFFFFFFF error. I guess I'll have to play it with ePSXe instead. At least I got Dragon Quest VII running on it!

3KFqe.jpg

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
Final_Fantasy_Legend_II_Coverart.png

My first FF game as a kid. Next was VII.

I can't say which one is my favorite. In most FF games, I get right up to the final dungeon and get disinterested, sometimes even deleting the save file. Blew my goddamn mind when I finally beat VII as a kid, though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, after replaying FFIII DS one summer, I ended up preferring the Famicom version a lot more. Capacity Points, number of enemies onscreen, enemy strength balancing, etc. were a bunch of things that I liked in that version over the DS version.

Also, FFIII's Famicom soundtrack is quite underrated.

Vamphuntr

Final_Fantasy_Legend_II_Coverart.png

My first FF game as a kid. Next was VII.

I can't say which one is my favorite. In most FF games, I get right up to the final dungeon and get disinterested, sometimes even deleting the save file. Blew my goddamn mind when I finally beat VII as a kid, though.

That's not even a real FF game... That's SaGa II :S

Aeana

I was going to do FF3 in Japanese, but I realized that if I'm going to be taking lots of screenshots for informational purposes here, it'd be better if I did that with a language people can understand. So I was looking into stuff and I found out that there's a new patch for the game that even adds a B button dash, so I think I'll go ahead and give that one a go.

Your friends were uncreative.

I've met tons of people on the internet who did the same thing. I honestly don't give a crap what my characters are named when they have no personality, so I just name them what I can to get out of the naming screen as quickly as possible.

Gravijah

when i was trying to get a friend to play earthbound (and later mother 3) she named all of her characters random dumb words.

...it bothered me more than it should have. :(

Emitan

when i was trying to get a friend to play earthbound (and later mother 3) she named all of her characters random dumb words.

...it bothered me more than it should have. :(

I wanted to play Mother 3 with a friend and he renamed Duster to DustY. I deleted the save.

Emitan

Well, it's different if they have default names and stories associated with them. In FF1, they are nothing, so honestly, who cares.

They totally have personalities when I play! I can't play a game like FF1 without coming up with characters and personalities for them. I actually prefer that style of RPG.

Maybe this is becoming annoying, but I'm starting the stream of XIII for today.

I"m still here at The Sunsleth Waterscape.

http://www.twitch.tv/rahxephon91
It's not annoying. But I'd rather watch someone playing a different game like XII.

Tomasooie

I've met tons of people on the internet who did the same thing. I honestly don't give a crap what my characters are named when they have no personality, so I just name them what I can to get out of the naming screen as quickly as possible.

I give them personalities in my head. It makes the games more fun. ^__^

Especially Dragon Quest...

Tomasooie

So are you going to make a single post in this thread without backhanding Dragon Quest? What is your goal here, exactly?

Whoa! I'm just teasing. I like Dragon Quest and I praised the day/night system in DQ3 in my other post here.

I would say FF is better here, but...

I didn't have fun playing the game in general. Like FFV the battling/grinding didn't really do anything for me! The slow tile based movements something I could only ever really bare with in Pokémon to. VI'd prolly be more fun for me to watch then to play.

Really? FFV/VI give you options for dashing. (Not to mention that V's awesome job system opens up more options as you level up.) Pokemon is among the worst as far as grinding goes.

Tomasooie

Ah, the lovely port town of Pravoka (this game apparently takes place in Russia).

Another cool thing about DQ3 is that it takes place on Earth, basically, with the cities taking their locations, names (not verbatim though) and other aspects from real cities.

Romaly, lol.

You're in for a treat; the original NES FF is amazing.

Wilsongt

So... While not officially participating, I am playing FFXIII again on the PS3 for superior graphics. Just reached Palumpolum. Waiting for XIII-2. HNNNNNNG.

Vamphuntr

This part is hilarious.

She's cold and use Ice magic! Deep connection there /lol

GeCT3.png
NMkHH.png
JGbK7.png

I used this team for the fight agains Kefka because some people voiced their concern about the fact I wasn't using Gau.

MGY1C.png

I never bothered with the two side teams. I simply rushed to him and the two other teams were never attacked.

Since my levels were low 12-14 he could pretty much destroy me with his poison spell but I spammed Cure with Terra while Pummeling him and he ran away quickly.

cP0F3.png
8Q3ZX.png

NHj9U.png

Onward to Crackton Zozo. I'm using Gau, Celes, Edgar and Sabin. Eager to get Relm so I can use her. Maybe I'll try using Setzer too.

ZxyBT.png

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
4 hour marks been hit and I'm already at the upper junon airport?! At only Level 12?? Am I really gonna be okay...? Skipping chocobo catching and outrunning the zolom is always fun and kinda normal for me. Getting Yuffie and grinding like mad in the Junon area is also normal for me - except I didn't do either thing this time! Will not having the optional party members come back ta bite me in the butt during the multi-party boss battle near the end?

2W2O3.png

And we're off for reals!

(c) 1987 Squaresoft - (c) 1990 Nintendo

Talk about taking your sweet time!

Really? FFV/VI give you options for dashing. (Not to mention that V's awesome job system opens up more options as you level up.) Pokemon is among the worst as far as grinding goes.

By dashing ya mean a run button? Thats nothing special for me since I started with VII an haven't played any FFs pre-V. Certain Pokémon games might have less then speedy grinding but they're much funner games to me!

Because of the way I've been streaming this. I've noticed FFXIII looks pretty great in SD. Hell, don't even notice the 360s compressed cutscenes lol.

19.jpg

This seems inappropriate.

20.jpg

I swear, nobody touched her!

21.jpg

I checked the item store, they were completely out of cowbell. So onward! Especially now that I have that sweet Kain-killing earthquake summon...

24.jpg

...Dammit.

25.jpg

Whoa old man, I don't know what rumors you've heard but I really don't think...

26.jpg

Oh geeze. That's not creepy at all. You should really be careful with that, we've already been attacked once.

30.jpg

Needless to say, no one slept well that night. Which meant we were completely unprepared for the evil eight-legged water monster. Luckily Cecil was able to ignore his useless, jail-bait sidekick and this new, all-too-friendly geezer and just attack the thing to death.

Dreamer RD

Is that in-game clock time or not? If the in-game clock is also 5/6 of the speed it should be doable. Then again speeding up the clock to reflect the actual time sounds like a typical evil PAL conversion (racing games were the annoying ones as its basically, "you're not going to do as well as others in Time Attack/you can compete in your own sandbox" then again having improved reactions essentially would also be unfair)

Yeah in game clock is faster than NTSC ver. I did the same run to moogle in both versions (fight with Baku was the same = Mage masher stolen at 1 turn/suicide to end the battle) and result was 9:37 in PAL vs 8:36 in NTSC ver. Both PSN versions from EU and US stores respectively. I bought US version specially for EXcalibur 2 run, because read many threads on gamefaqs and other forums saying about that challenge being impossible on PAL, especially if you cant skip FMV's on PS3. Dont know about PS1 disc version, probably also impossible coz after disc ejecting PS3 automatically goes back to XMB

Vamphuntr

Crackton here we go!

aeYTw.png
gljil.png

DbOUZ.png

The streets are dangerous alright... There this huge thing that randomly cast some earthquake move when it dies.

lQiZo.png

Even the boss is like most "citizens" of the area. He lies like all of them.

nGaol.png

He died in like three turns and I'm not even grinding. I'm rushing through areas. Suplex + Chainsaw+Ice/Blizzard + Fire2/Fira = Boom!. Gau is not so bad after all. Guess Aeana was right.

Qp2MX.png
xdcUx.png

And I'm going back to Jidoor then to the Opera.

1zJ95.png

The game just threw an handicap at me by forcing me to use Locke :S. Oh well.

Aeana

Okay, I decided to get a little bit of FF3 in tonight. Went with English so I don't have to translate everything I post here.

nN6yK.png
UloJE.png

Let's get this party started! Some kids have fallen down a hole, and there's a bit of drama.

Vnptl.png

Okay, maybe a lot of drama. So this is what battles look like in this version. Obviously nothing special. Well, besides the fact that there is actually room for 8 enemies, unlike the DS version's piddling 3. This is one of the reasons why I prefer this verison.

Ck4xK.png
4UQoa.png

We wander through the cave, and come across a pool of water. Apparently, it's a questionable pool of water. However, after touching it, we realize that it may be that pools of water are Good Things, and Ingus should probably put a sock in it.

PIE8Q.png
UPOwN.png
D3nei.png

Oh noo-- Something evil. The land turtle actually takes longer to beat in this version, because the antarctic winds don't do massive amounts of damage to it. As you can see, it's not even 50 in this version.

wdJoZ.png

Hooray, job time.

1Al5j.png
Xw129.png
qlnTY.png
VK5Ky.png

This was my first Final Fantasy game. I jumped on the series a bit later than even some people in North America. I thought this intro was pretty amazing back then, with the sparkling crystal and neato music. It's kinda bland now, though!

wmB33.png
dfhtw.png

We walk out of the cave, and there's a town to the south. Not so fast, though. First, we'll change jobs and get a little bit of treasure. In this version of FF3, you gain capacity points (CP) after battle. This is a global pool of points that is consumed when your characters change jobs. In the DS version, you can change jobs whenever you want, but you get a stat penalty that will stick with you for several battles. In this one, you just spend the points to change whenever, with no penalties.

From here, it's back into the cave to get some goodies.

ehtsh.png
claM4.png
NUSny.png

zomg Hidden passage. Fortunately, (most of) the hidden passages were kept for the DS version, so I won't go into too much detail about them. I like this one, though, because it leads to two chests with 1000 gil apiece. We also get some nunchaku in this cave, but it isn't wise to equip them yet since they will actually lower the monk's damage. We need to have one in each hand in order for it to be worth it.

xRm64.png
cUCkX.png
6LURj.png

There's a lot of story stuff here in the DS version. You save Arc from some bullies, Topapa has a bunch of stuff to say, blah blah blah. Not really so in this one. There's still story dialog, but it is incredibly terse, and of course 'Arc' as a character doesn't exist here, the four are just generic orphan dudes.

OrV7e.png
x7glY.png
flvb7.png

So we head south to the town of Kazus, but it's kinda deserted. Turns out everybody's been turned invisible, including Cid. But Cid's a rad dude, so he lends us his airship. It's so nice to get access to an airship so quickly for once!

cWFsJ.png
Nvpyk.png
FQ0Er.png

Then we head to Sasoon Castle via airship and find out that the people there have been cursed, as well. We get a bit of a lead about who might be doing it and how we can break it, but the key we need has been taken by the princess. Time to go find her!

Through a hidden passage here is also a tonfa, which is more powerful than the nunchaku, but more importantly, gives us a pair so we can equip them to the monk and boost his attack power dramatically.

kBFyH.png
Ut1Dx.png
0nR03.png

Up in one of the towers is a rather important-looking chest. Nothing is ever as easy as it should be in an RPG, though, so we have to fight a monster to get it. He's tougher than anything fought so far, but really not so bad regardless.

In the other tower is the princess's bedchambers.

7ckij.png

Heck yeah. Free healing!

This is a bit of an image overload, so I'll cut it down from here on out. My primary goal will be to point out differences between the two versions, or stuff I personally find cool about the game.

Top Bottom