• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cool Article on TOSE

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
jarrod said:
Well, they said they've developed 17 DS games... unless DQ Monsters is done, I don;t think they were including it?
Well the interview was just translated that way right? They could mean all the projects they have for the DS and PSP including the ones they have in the works right now.

jarrod

Banned
jj984jj said:
Well the interview was just translated that way right? They could mean all the projects they have for the DS and PSP including the ones they have in the works right now.
Maybe, but as is the coxtent of both the question and answer was in the past tense. I kinda doubt it.

jj984jj

jarrod said:
Maybe, but as is the coxtent of both the question and answer was in the past tense. I kinda doubt it.
Well the I think the fact that the question was asked in past tense is why they worded the response like that, but we'll never know anyway. :lol

Teddman

Their port of FFIV on the Chronicles disc is pretty good, no loading and all that. Why weren't the others better?

Terrell

Teddman said:
Their port of FFIV on the Chronicles disc is pretty good, no loading and all that. Why weren't the others better?
Well, their PS1 port of FFVI (which is my favourite in the series) has serious consistent lag issues during battle scenes. It was really disappointing, since the SNES version ran all of these battle scenes silky smooth. I think that was more a problem with the hardware being poorly equipped for 2D gaming.

jarrod

Banned
Teddman said:
Hate to double-post, but these guys aren't doing FFIII DS, right?

Right?!?!?!
They're not, it's being handled 100% internally at Square Enix. For their recent handheld games...

Square Enix Product Development Division 1
-Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories (GBA) co-developed with Jupiter Corp
-Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (PSP)

Square Enix Product Development Division 2
-Chocobo Land (GBA) co-developed with TOSE Software
-Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Soul (GBA) co-developed with TOSE Software
-Final Fantasy IV Advance (GBA) co-developed with TOSE Software
-Final Fantasy V Advance (GBA) co-developed with TOSE Software
-Final Fantasy VI Advance (GBA) co-developed with TOSE Software
-Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Ring of Fates (DS)

Square Enix Product Development Division 3
-Final Fantasy III (DS)

Square Enix Product Development Division 4
-Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (GBA)

Square Enix Product Development Division 7
-Hanjuku Einyu DS: Egg Monster Heroes (DS) co-developed with Neverland Company

Square Enix Product Development Division 8
-Sword of Mana (GBA) co-developed with Brownie Brown
-Children of Mana (DS) co-developed with NEX Entertainment

Square Enix Product Development Division 9 (ie: Armor Project)
-Dragon Quest Characters: Torenko no Daibouken 2 Advance (GBA) co-developed with TOSE Software
-Dragon Quest Monsters: Caravan Heart (GBA) co-developed with TOSE Software
-Slime Morimori Dragon Quest: Shougeki No Shippo Dan (GBA) co-developed with TOSE Software
-Dragon Quest Characters: Torenko no Daibouken 3 Advance (GBA) co-developed with TOSE Software
-Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS) co-developed with TOSE Software
-Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Portable (PSP) co-developed with TOSE Software
-Dragon Quest Monsters (DS) co-developed with TOSE Software

Square Enix Product Development Division 10
-The Wonder Captor! Snap Kids (GBA) co-developed with GameKids
-Samurai Evolution: Oukoku Geist (GBA) co-developed with TeaSet
-Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth (PSP) co-developed with TOSE Software

jj984jj

Hey jarrod, you got a full list of S-E developed games like that? Maybe you could PM me that. :)

Also, what's Bird Studio? I see their name in a lot of small S-E games, and I recently saw it on some Blue Dragon screenshots.

Edit: NVM on Bird Studio, I think I've figured it out. It's Toriyama's studio, right?

jarrod

Banned
jj984jj said:
Hey jarrod, you got a full list of S-E developed games like that? Maybe you could PM me that. :)
Not handy, sorry. It wouldn't be too tough to figure out Square's stuff but a lot of Enix stuff is tricky.

jj984jj said:
Edit: NVM on Bird Studio, I think I've figured it out. It's Toriyama's studio, right?
Yep.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I'm with the people who feel vaguely disturbed at the idea of playing a game where I'm being tricked as to who's developing it. It doesn't really matter, it's still a good or bad game either way, but there's just something wrong about it.

It shouldn't be any surprise that a company with 1100 developers over two countries has some good ones in there. They'd have to go out of their way to get all crap.

This is really weird. This feels like it cheapens gaming so much. I wonder if they prioritize. For example, if Nintendo wants a game developed, do they put their best people on it, whereas if they are making Barbie Horse Adventures do they put just random shitty people on it?

This is pretty disturbing for some strange reason.

jarrod

Banned
charlesthefirst said:
This is really weird. This feels like it cheapens gaming so much. I wonder if they prioritize. For example, if Nintendo wants a game developed, do they put their best people on it, whereas if they are making Barbie Horse Adventures do they put just random shitty people on it?
Well, considering all their good stuff has been DQ or Nintendo related, I'd say "yes".

jj984jj

charlesthefirst said:

This is pretty disturbing for some strange reason.
I think they just have different teams working on different projects. They aren't labeled good or bad before they are assigned a project, but the team likely stays the same anyway. Like the team that's worked on the Dragon Quest stuff for Enix and the team that did the Starfi series for Nintendo are at the very least seen as decent developers, and the team that does stuff for Square like Final Fantasy and Valkyrie Profile are seen as horrible developers, but I don't think Tose saw that the outcome of these teams would turn out this way before they were assigned to their projects. Tose just has the same team work with the same people and that is likely why the consistency of their work is about the same throughout all their projects.

aku:jiki

jarrod said:
Well, considering all their good stuff has been DQ or Nintendo related, I'd say "yes".
To be fair, there's no way we could ever know that...right? Isn't that like the point of this whole thread and their company? I mean, what if they made Tetris?

FF4 was small enough to fit entirely in the PS1's RAM unoptimized. That's also why it could stream the music off disc, unlike FF5/6/CT which had to generate it with the PS's internal sound module, which isn't designed for SNES sound samples.

-Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Soul (GBA) co-developed with TOSE Software

Dawn of Souls was Division 7. I'm not sure FF3 is being handled internally either; isn't some Enix producer producing it?

jarrod

Banned
Bizarro Sun Yat-sen said:
Dawn of Souls was Division 7. I'm not sure FF3 is being handled internally either; isn't some Enix producer producing it?
Really? I thought Kawazu handled FFI+II GBA?

And post Kawazu, wasn't FFIII handed to Tanaka? Wasn't there all this hoopla about the team applying their experience with FFXI to the game's job system?

http://review-site.net/developer/to.html#トーセ

Nihon Daihyou Team no Kantoku ni Naruu! Sekaihatsu Soccer RPG (SS/Enix)
Dragon Quest (i/Square Enix)
Dragon Quest I-II (GBC/Enix)
Dragon Quest III (GBC/Enix)
Dragon Quest Monsters (GB/Enix)
Dragon Quest Monsters 2 (GB/Enix)
Dragon Quest Monsters 1-2 (PS/Enix)
Slime Morimori Dragon Quest (GBA/Square Enix)
Slime Morimori Dragon Quest 2 (NDS/Square Enix)
Final Fantasy I-II Advance (GBA/Square Enix)
Final Fantasy I (PS-WSC/Square)
Final Fantasy II (PS/Square)
Final Fantasy IV (PS/Square)
Final Fantasy V (PS/Square)
Final Fantasy VI (PS/Square)
Final Fantasy Collection (PS/Square)
Chrono Trigger (PS/Square)
Chocobo no Fushigi na Dungeon for Wonderswan (WS/Bandai)
Dragonball 2 (FC/Bandai)
Dragonball 3 (FC/Bandai)
Dragonball Z (FC/Bandai)
Dragonball Z II (FC/Bandai)
Dragonball Z III (FC/Bandai)
Dragonball Z Gaiden (FC/Bandai)
Dragonball Z Super Saiya Legend (SFC/Bandai)
Dragonball Z Chou Butouden (SFC/Bandai)
Dragonball Z Chou Butouden 2 (SFC/Bandai)
Dragonball Z Chou Butouden 3 (SFC/Bandai)
Dragonball Z Shin Butouden (SS/Bandai)
Dragonball Z Bu Yuu Retsuden (MD/Bandai)
Dragonball Z Hyper Dimension (SFC/Bandai)
Dragonball Z Ultimate Battle 22 (PS/Bandai)
Dragonball Final Bout (PS/Bandai)
Dragonball Z Chou Goku Den Totsugeki Hen (SFC/Bandai)
Dragonball Z Chou Goku Den Kakusei Hen (SFC/Bandai)
Dragonball Z Idainaru Son Gokuu Densetsu (PCE/Bandai)
Dragonball Z Idainaru Dragonball Densetsu (SS/Bandai)
Dragonball (WSC/Bandai)
Kinnikuman Muscle Tag Match/M.U.S.C.L.E. (FC/Bandai)
Kinnikuman II Yo - Dream Tag Match (WSC/Bandai)
Jigoku Sensei Nuubee (PS/Bandai)
Pro Golfer Saru: Kage no Tournament (FDS/Bandai)
Datach Dragonball Z (FC/Bandai)
Datach Ultraman Club (FC/Bandai)
Datach J-League (FC/Bandai)
Super Robot Taisen Compact (WS/Banpresto)
Super Robot Taisen Compact for WSC (WSC/Banpresto)
Super Robot Taisen Compact 2 (all three) (WS/Bandai)
Super Robot Taisen Impact (PS2/Banpresto)
Super Robot Taisen MX (PS2/Banpresto)
Moero!! Pro Yakyuu/Bases Loaded (FC/Jaleco)
Moero!! Pro Yakyuu '88/Bases Loaded II (FC/Jaleco)
Moe Pro '90/Bases Loaded 3 (FC/Jaleco)
Moe Pro! Saikyou Hen/Bases Loaded 4 (FC/Jaleco)
Moero!! Pro Soccer/Goal! (FC/Jaleco)
Moero!! Pro Tennis (FC/Jaleco)
Moero!! Juudou Warriors (FC/Jaleco)
Moero!! Junior Basket/Hoops (FC/Jaleco)
Terao no Dosukoi Oozumou (FC/Jaleco)
Palutena no Kagami/Kid Icarus (FDS/Nintendo)
Game Boy Gallery/Game & Watch Gallery (GB/Nintendo)
Game Boy Gallery 2/Game & Watch Gallery 2 (GB/Nintendo)
Game Boy Gallery 3/Game & Watch Gallery 3 (GB/Nintendo)
Game & Watch Gallery 4 (GBA/Nintendo)
Nintendo Puzzle Collection (GC/Nintendo)
Densetsu no Starfy (GBA/Nintendo)
Densetsu no Starfy 2 (GBA/Nintendo)
Densetsu no Starfy 3 (GBA/Nintendo)
Densetsu no Starfy 4 (NDS/Nintendo)
Super Princess Peach (NDS/Nintendo)
Tabi no Yubisashi Kaiwa Chou DS Series 1-5 (NDS/Nintendo)
Namco Classic (FC/Namco)
Namco Classic II (FC/Namco)
Sangokushi: Chuugen no Hasha (FC/Namco)
Youkai Douchuuki (PCE/Namco)
Valkyrie no Densetsu (PCE/Namco)
Namco Museum Vol. 2 (PS/Namco)
Namco Museum Vol. 5 (PS/Namco)
Capcom Generation 2 (PS/Capcom)
Biohazard 0 (GC/Capcom)
Biohazard 2 (GC/Capcom)
Biohazard 3 Last Escape (GC/Capcom)
Biohazard Code Veronica Kanzenhan (GC/Capcom)
Biohazard Gun Survivor (PS/Capcom)
Gun Survivor 2: Biohazard Code Veronica (PS2/Capcom)
Gun Survivor 3: Dino Crisis (PS2/Capcom)
The Pro Yakyuu (PCE/Intec)
The Pro Yakyuu Super (PCE/Intec)
Sengoku Kantou Sangokushi (PCE/Intec)
Taiheiki (PCE/Intec)
All Yoshimoto Quiz Ou Ketteisen DX (SS/Yoshimoto)
Funky Fantasy (SS/Yoshimoto)
Shrek: Hassle at the Castle (GBA/TDK Mediactive)
Shrek: Reekin' Havoc (GBA/TRK Mediactive)
Sasuke vs Commander (AC/SNK)
Vanguard (AC/SNK)
Sega GT Homologation Special (DC/Sega)
Sakatsuku 2002 J.League Pro Soccer Club o Tsukuruu! (PS2/Sega)
The King of Route 66 (PS2/Sega)
F355 Challenge (PS2/Sega)
Virtua Fighter Cyber Generation (PS2/Sega)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel/Metal Gear Solid (GBC/Konami)
Densha de Go! Pocket (PSP/Taito)
Ikki (AC/FC/Sunsoft)
Layer Section II (SS/Mediaquest)
Super Tetris 3 (SFC/BPS)
2002 FIFA World Cup Soccer (GC/EA Square)
Sanrio Timenet Future (GB/Imagineer)
Sanrio Timenet Past (GB/Imagineer)
EVE the Lost One (PS/Imagineer)
The Nightmare Before Christmas: The Pumpkin King (GBA/Buena Vista)

Development collaboration:
Dragon Quest VII (PS/Enix)
Dragon Quest VIII (music program) (PS2/Enix)
Final Fantasy VII (PS/Square)

Translation stolen from insertcredit.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Some of the shit on there is shocking...and not so.

MGS: Ghost Babel was fucking AWESOME :O
Virtua Quest was ANAL DRIPPINGS :/

Teddman said:
Because they went back and SERIOUSLY fixed up FFIV for the US release. The Japanese one was such a piece of shit that it made the barely-working FFV and VI look like masterpieces by comparison.

Teddman

I really doubt they completely developed all of those games. In most cases, it was probably just outsourced coding, porting, etc. The rote gruntwork aspect.

Just like the Simpsons is technically made in Indonesia or wherever, but that's just the assembly line portion. That may be every game they contributed to, no matter how small the support role.

john tv said:
Kid Icarus? Sounds suspicious to me...
For the Famicom Disk System. Might be a port

-You're a mod too? No way...
Teddman said:
I really doubt they completely developed all of those games. In most cases, it was probably just outsourced coding, porting, etc. The rote gruntwork. Just like the Simpsons is technically made in Indonesia or wherever, but that's just the assembly line portion.
Yeah, I'll like to know how involved the were in the developement process of most of those games

Teddman

Blackcherry said:
For the Famicom Disk System. Might be a port

-You're a mod too? No way...
Kid Icarus was original dev'ed for the Famicom Disk System and later ported to NES.

However, it's so similar to R&D1's Metroid that I could easily believe that TOSE had only a supporting role in assisting with the disk system architecture, and that it was for all intents and purposes Nintendo's creation.

jarrod

Banned
Mr. Pointy said:
Kid Icarus being a TOSE game could explain why Nintendo are so coy about making a sequel.
I dunno, that hasn't stopped Game Boy Gallery or Desnestu no Starfi. I could totally see TOSE handle a new 2D Kid Icarus on DS.

jesusraz

Another TOSE interview. Here are two snippets:

C3: With Nintendo showing off Super Mario Galaxy at this year's E3, are there any other unique ways you believe the controller could be used for the platform genre? And what are your thoughts on the Wii in general?

TOSE: We would like to develop games making the most of the Wii features.
C3: Do you have any influence over what older games are ported to new systems, such as the Final Fantasy titles that are coming to the GBA and Valkyrie Profile on the PSP? If so, Square Enix should really be made aware of how much gamers want ports of the two SNES Mana games and Chrono Trigger...

TOSE: Tose that is engaged in the commissioned development of game software can make propositions to game makers with regard to porting and localization of their games but is not entitled to make any decision.

Nintendo Interview | Cubed³ Talks Starfy & More with TOSE

Kobun Heat said:
This is vaguely unsettling, like those statistics about how every human ingests three pounds of mealworms a year or whatever. You know you've played TOSE games, but you don't know which ones they were.

Haha, great post.

jesusraz

Just found this: http://gamezone.qq.com/a/20051214/000085.htm - a game by TOSE that must have been developed by the Chinese arm. Looks kind of wacky...

05.jpg

EDIT: Actually those symbols on that screenshot look Korean...so I could be mistaken. But whatever the case, it's developed by TOSE and looks weird! :D

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Oh shit a Sheffield article that's actually good. "As we said, we've worked on 1,100 games – most of them were full production, done by us. But that number does include mobile games." They're certainly the world's largest outsourcing company by a considerable amount. They really have no reason to advertise themselves to the public; their market is the game industry not the consumer.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Kid Icarus being a TOSE game could explain why Nintendo are so coy about making a sequel.

Kid Icarus was developed internally at Nintendo. However, if TOSE was indeed involved in anything it could have been anything from Nintendo hiring 2 support programmers, to TOSE converting the DISK Format to NES Cartridge. That is the same way Intelligent Systems was involved in Mario Bros. and Metroid. This is something that happens very often in development.

Top Bottom