• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Falcom Working on Remaking an Old Game, Says President Kondo

The Chinese outlet Gouhou recently interviewed Toshihiro Kondo, the president of developer Nihon Falcom. They discussed various topics pertaining to the company’s recent releases, such as Ys X Nordics and the upcoming The Legend of Heroes: Kai no Kiseki -Farewell O Zemuria-.

One substantial question and response delved into whether the developer has any plans for remakes in the future. Interestingly, Kondo said that they do indeed have a remake of an old title in the pipeline, though he didn’t state it by name.

Further, he elaborated that many employees joined Falcom because of their love for this particular game and that they hope to devote themselves to working on this remake as soon as The Legend of Heroes: Kai no Kiseki -Farewell O Zemuria is completed.

You can view a translation of this question and response below. @Renka_schedule translated portions of the interview into Japanese, while our team’s Ryuji translated that into English. Falcom community member Hansuke also ensured accuracy.

Q. Trails and Ys have grown into very large series over the years. Do you have any plans to completely rework and/or remake past classics in the future?
Kondo: Generally speaking, it depends on popularity, development resources, and cost. If it is a title worthy of being made, we will try to make it happen, even if it costs a lot of manpower and development costs.
We do have plans to completely remake an old title, but we will let you know when it is appropriate to announce it. Currently, the development team is actively working on a remake of it, and we hope to complete Kai no Kiseki as soon as possible so that we can devote ourselves to this remake. There are many employees who love this title so much that they joined Falcom because of it.

You can view the full interview via Gouhou’s website.

KàIRóS

My fingers are crossed for Popful Mail, I still have the Sega CD version.

fTj5b1h.png

It's probably just another Ys remake though, not like that's a bad thing.

StereoVsn

I can’t even bring myself to be excited as the West will lag several years behind.

I guess I should brush up my Japanese reading practice again, lol. It really slipped lately since I haven’t been playing games with Japanese subs for quite a while

Mr Hyde

We need a big budget remake of Faxanadu. Imagine the potential epicness such a game would provide. Don't leave it in the dust Falcom!

LGsOGYh.jpg

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I can see them working on bringing the TiTS games to a modern audience, since Estelle and Joshua have been an important part of the last couple of games, and folks who haven't been with the franchise since the last 15~ years might not be aware of their back story.

lachesis

If it’s Kondo’s fav, must be Garghav Trillogy, especially Moonlight witch. Many of Falcom’s employees joined the company loving that game, as far as I know.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'd be much more interested in a remake of one of the Sorcerian games or Popful Mail than say.... Ys V. As much as I want Ys V, some variety would be nice.

lachesis

Ys V maybe? I heard they were supposedly remaking that game awhile back.
Ys being my favorite Jrpg franchise since 80s… but I don’t think they will do back-to-back Ys development since Ys X hasn’t even been released in the west yet.

I am quite sure that next Ys would be V - as it’s pretty much its turn to be to remade…. New engine/system is introduced in a new numbered Ys, then follow up has been usually a remake of older one using that engine - which has been a pattern since Kondo became president. (Felghana after VI, Celceta after Seven)

But if it is indeed Ys V that Kondo is referring in this, I would be very happy!

Last edited:
Top Bottom