• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Falcom Planning to Announce New Game That Steers Away from Current Trails & Ys

In the latest issue of Famitsu magazine, the president of Toshihiro Kondo was interviewed about the upcoming Ys X Nordics and tangentially related facets. In one exchange, he revealed that a new game is in the works that is not like contemporary Trails or Ys.

You can view a translation of the question and response below via our team’s Ryuji:
Interviewer: Regarding Falcom as a whole, when will the next project be announced?
Kondo: We plan to announce next year’s titles at the “usual time” at the end of this year.
Depending on the situation, we may not wait until the year ends to announce titles planned for next year. This new title will be something that steers a bit away from the current Ys/Trails focal point, so I hope you look forward to that.
So, by the “usual time,” Kondo is likely implying the annual shareholder’s meeting that tends to occur during December. As for what this new game may end up being, there are several possibilities.

For one, there’s the potential Tokyo Xanadu 2, which has been teased somewhat recently. Other possibilities, albeit far less likely, are a third Zwei game or something far more niche like Brandish. Or maybe it’s an entirely new IP. Granted, this could just be a new Trails or Ys, just approached in a far different way.

I’m pretty excited by the possibilities because for as much as I love Trails and Ys, constantly cycling between just those two franchises can become tiresome. Falcom has plenty of other titles in its catalog worth bringing attention to. We’ll keep you all updated on whatever this project may end up being.

Hopefully it's Tokyo Xanadu 2. They've been talking about a sequel for years now because the first one apparently was above expectations.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Vantage Master here we gooooo!

I would like they go back to Ys old style too though. As in, low fi 3D environments with pixel art textures and character sprites. PS1-esque look. Loved that shit. LOVED. And it played best in Origin and Oath of Felghana too tbh. Wish Trails had kept that style forever too, but at least more games did.

Last edited:
Top Bottom