• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of Final Fantasy's 25th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

Almost done with XIII-2's main game, so I think I'll start up my IV Complete Collection copy afterwards. I'm already halfway through (first run of the Tower of Babil), so I may as well go with it next. I'll start the After Years afterwards. It'll be my first playthrough of it, so I'm super-excited for it. :D

Yikes! Final Fantasy II is a bit harder than the 1st one :/

I only died in the bonus dungeon bosses on FF1, but I've died 4 times in the 1st hour of Final Fantasy II
It's all very different, any tips from the pros on how to make things easier?

Should I assign roles to individual characters (like make Maria only white mage) or try and balance a character (have firion use both magic and physical attacks?)?

It's all a little weird with how the there's no leveling system.

Ultratech

I and II: there are two versions of each: the NES version (remade in FF Origins) and the GBA version (remade on the PSP Anniversary editions.) FF Origins is a 16-bit-style-graphics, remade-soundtrack version that's largely gameplay-faithful to the originals but adds some excellent UX improvements like dashing and auto-retargeting. If you want to play the original versions of the games, play this version (available on PSN.) The GBA version completely rebalances both games (making them far, far easier) but adds extra secret dungeons to each. The PSP versions of both have all the same content and a little extra besides; if you want to play the extra content, play the PSP versions.

III: The two versions are pretty different. The original NES version has the rough edges of all the old FFs (and only a mediocre fan translation into English), but it's got probably the greatest 8-bit-chiptune RPG soundtrack of all time and Aeana thinks it's the best version. The DS version (and its port to iOS) is polygonal, with a remade soundtrack, and some pretty significant content rebalancing; it's slower and has some limitations (like only a few monsters per encounter) but I enjoyed it a lot.

IV: The DS remake is completely different from the original game, with a complete rebalancing of every system, every boss battle, and every encounter; it's great but it takes a pretty easy game and makes it outrageously difficult, so I probably wouldn't recommend it the first time through. Every English version of the original IV has huge glaring problems ("FFII" for SNES is the for-babbies Easy Type, the GBA version has tons of severe bugs, and the PSX version has atrocious load times) except for the recently-released PSP version, so play that.

V: The GBA version is the definitive version: added content and an amazing English translation. Don't even consider the only other option (the awfully-translated, even-worse-loading PSX version.)

VI: The GBA version has the best content (a pretty respectful new translation that fixes some of the technical limitations of the SNES version, some new added Espers) but unfortunately it butchers the soundtrack so badly that I can't recommend it. The PSX version is, if anything, even worse for this game than the other two, so really the best way to play this now is to buy the SNES version on Wii Virtual Console.

This covers the definitive versions pretty well, but I'll elaborate on a few things:

I&II: For the remastered versions, you can't go wrong with GBA or the PSP versions. PSP versions look much prettier and have a little bit more extra content, but that's it really.

III: The differences between the original and the remake are worth noting. I'll try to simplify it to the major stuff.
-Altered Beginning: The start of the remake is a bit different from the original, since you won't actually get jobs until you beat the 2nd boss, where as you get them right after the 1st boss in the initial cave in the original. Then there's the whole character stuff in the remake.
-CP System: The original uses a CP system in which Capacity Points are needed to switch jobs. Kill enemies, get CP. Easy enough. The remake does away with CP and uses a different system in which you can switch jobs anytime, but you'll get a "sickness" after switching jobs, temporally lowering your stats for x amount of battles.
-Battle Limitations: The remake can only show up to 3 enemies at once (4 in event). As such, enemies were rebalanced. More so, bosses got a major boost in HP, and some can attack multiple times per turn, making them considerably harder. The original could have up to 8 enemies appearing at once. Also makes splitting enemies much less of a threat in the remake.
-Job Rebalance: The remake rebalances the jobs so some aren't so superior to others (though a few are still direct upgrades). This was sort of a good change, since it allows you to diversify a bit. In the original, a good number of jobs were fairly useless.

I personally prefer the original Famicom version, but that's just my opinion.

IV: Basically it's the PSP version or the DS version. The DS version kinda plays off the notion you've played FFIV before, altering a lot of the boss mechanics. Even then, it's a very difficult game compared to the other versions.

VI: GBA is the superior version if you can get past the not-so superior sound.

Aeana

I only died in the bonus dungeon bosses on FF1, but I've died 4 times in the 1st hour of Final Fantasy II

Should I assign roles to individual characters (like make Maria only white mage) or try and balance a character (have firion use both magic and physical attacks?)?

No, don't assign roles to characters, that's just going to make it harder. What you should do is just try not to be very broad with your characters. Choose one or two weapon types for each character and make them stick to that the whole game. Also, dual wielding is simply better than sword+shield, so don't bother with that. As far as magic goes, you need to focus there, as well. Give everyone cure, and one or two elemental spells, and stick with them.

mewarmo990

Neo Member
Finishing up XIII, and my import of XIII-2 is waiting to be played. Though PS3 Tales of Vesperia and Amalur are competing for my attention.

Though after my current game, I plan to go back and finish up IV on the PSP. Still my favorite, by far. I hope VI gets an update soon!

And then maybe I'll dare to start up FFIV DS again. Water Lord kicked my ass, hard.

weeaboo

Well there's a little hack for FFV/FFVI Advance to improve the sound but dunno about the result, first I have to finish IV DS :D

Psxphile

Well there's a little hack for FFV/FFVI Advance to improve the sound but dunno about the result, first I have to finish IV DS :D
Going from Stereo to Mono doesn't sound like such a great improvement.

No, don't assign roles to characters, that's just going to make it harder. What you should do is just try not to be very broad with your characters. Choose one or two weapon types for each character and make them stick to that the whole game. Also, dual wielding is simply better than sword+shield, so don't bother with that. As far as magic goes, you need to focus there, as well. Give everyone cure, and one or two elemental spells, and stick with them.

The first time I played FFII (GBA) to the end I did the "each character master two weapons each" which worked out quite well. And while I can agree that the damage-potential of dual-wielding is great, I argue that there are good benefits to keeping a shield on most of the time... namely the boosts in Evasion you get. Nothing like enemies whiffing their melee attacks time and time again.

Goli

Going from Stereo to Mono doesn't sound like such a great improvement.

He meant an actual hack that improves that restores the music to what it originally was, not that.
Also, I decided to play FFII for a bit, I had a save file in the middle of the Dreadnought and now I'm looking around Fynn for the white mask. It really hooked me! So I'll start posting my log for it from when I started playing today till when I finish it along with TCB and then move to FFIII.

Psxphile

He meant an actual hack that improves that restores the music to what it originally was, not that.

It was originally stereo. You're talking about these hacks, yes? The readme.txt for both say plain as day that the music went from stereo to mono to accommodate the better-sounding SNES music. That's all I'm saying, really.

Jucksalbe

Banned
eVcOZ.png

So finally I found out just why I got that airship a while ago.

nq3mt.png

Though I have to say, it didn't go so well. I had to get out after a few fights. At least that worked, so back to the cave.

xfnFX.png

What's with these monsters? I only met them once in the cave and they look kind of special.

2m6Pd.png

When I met this group shortly before the boss, I thought I was done for. Luckily my whole party survived.

hiK1H.png
PNG2L.png

The Jinn was surprisingly easy. All his attacks are pretty weak, but the fight dragged on for a while, especially because half of my magic missed (even my cure spell missed one time). Does blind affect magic, too?

y23SW.png
tbW5J.png

So, after the fight with the Jinn, I thought I'd give the Mythril Cave another try. And what do I find? Two Mythril swords! Yay! I just bought one of those in the town before the cave. Oh well.

mbuay.png

And, uhh, my airship's gone.

PfU0U.png

This is where I stopped. I still have to figure out where to go next. I missed some of the text because you can also skip it with the directional buttons. Thought I'd walk into town, but skipped the whole conversation with Cid.

Aeana

7dzcH.png

What's with these monsters? I only met them once in the cave and they look kind of special.

Those monsters regularly inhabit the cave north of Ur (the one you come out of at the start of the game). I take it you didn't go back in there after the fight with the land turtle? There's some treasure in there.

So I've gotten six hours into my first ever FF VII playthrough.

I'm really not digging it. The game just feels slow. Everything from movement to the battle system. The story is interesting, but I've pretty much heard all the plot points for the game, so I don't have too much of an interest in keeping on.

So now, the only main games I need to play are II,V,VIII,IX,and X. Any recommendations?

If it helps, of the ones I've played I liked them like this:

XII>VI>IV>I>XIII>VII>III

Play the Advance version of V, European if possible (a timer bug was fixed).

Aside from that, X should be the easiest to get into. IX holds a lot of appeal for a lot of people, but the slow loading can be a mark against it. VIII is another love-it-or-hate-it game.

II is worthy for the plot, and the battle system if SaGa's your thing (it was the precursor!). Any of the remakes are recommended over the original.

Natetan

the way i usually play is (on the iOS version):

DON'T dual wield because you will be screwed later on in the game when your evasion is terrible.

-Fire is probably the best spell, but of course have someone build up ice and thunder. And give everyone cure at some point.

-remember to use the warp spell in battle early on. even at lower levels you can warp enemies (including bosses) out of battle!

-I usually work my way down to Mysidia once I get Minh Wu. Bombs are weak to fire (and warp). He's strong enough to lead the way down there. Grind for the good weapons and armor down there. Some people will prob say this breaks the game or something, but I love these kinds of sequence breaking :)

Bows suck, rods actually don't suck. Have maria use rods.

-swap spell is your friend

-if you are playing the PSP iOS version, let your characters take strong armor and weapons with them when they die.

Aeana

the way i usually play is (on the iOS version):

DON'T dual wield because you will be screwed later on in the game when your evasion is terrible.

-Fire is probably the best spell, but of course have someone build up ice and thunder. And give everyone cure at some point.

-remember to use the warp spell in battle early on. even at lower levels you can warp enemies (including bosses) out of battle!

-I usually work my way down to Mysidia once I get Minh Wu. Bombs are weak to fire (and warp). He's strong enough to lead the way down there. Grind for the good weapons and armor down there. Some people will prob say this breaks the game or something, but I love these kinds of sequence breaking :)

Bows suck, rods actually don't suck. Have maria use rods.

I personally go down to Mysidia to buy fire spears and stuff in the early game, but it isn't something I'd recommend to someone to do since it requires a time investment.

And as you can see earlier in the thread, I certainly wasn't screwed in FF2 when I played with everybody dual wielding.

Final FF2 party this last playthrough:

WWM7N.jpg

Natetan

I personally go down to Mysidia to buy fire spears and stuff in the early game, but it isn't something I'd recommend to someone to do since it requires a time investment.

And as you can see earlier in the thread, I certainly wasn't screwed in FF2 when I played with everybody dual wielding.

The first time i played i figured out you could dual wield so i just did that. By the time i got to later dungeons, i was always the last to attack in battle, so when I would run into big groups of enemies they would just totally wail on me before I could do anything. After that, I did some grinding with shields to get my speed higher, but every time i play now its single wield with shields, and I sell maria's bow for a rod.

Aeana

The first time i played i figured out you could dual wield so i just did that. By the time i got to later dungeons, i was always the last to attack in battle, so when I would run into big groups of enemies they would just totally wail on me before I could do anything. After that, I did some grinding with shields to get my speed higher, but every time i play now its single wield with shields, and I sell maria's bow for a rod.

That's weird. I've never had that problem.

Ultratech

Something to note is that armor has weight penalties. Heavier armor makes your Agility suffer. So say if you're all stacked out in Genji gear, you'll have uber defense, but be slow as hell, compared to somebody wearing robes and light armor.

But shields are pretty vital to building up Evasion (and Agility since evading attacks raises it).
So Agility and Evasion go pretty much hand-in-hand.

Bladenic

I did it! I finished FF on the iPhone for the very first time! Now the only FFs I haven't beat yet is 2, 5, 6, and 7. I plan on finishing 7 very soon, and I still need to find 5 and 6 for cheap on GBA. Two is the only way I haven't played extensively. Not sure whether I should get it on PSP or iPhone version yet.

Also how long is FF2 compared to 1? It took me 14 hours to beat FF1, though it's probably a little bit longer than it actually took me.

darksnowman

Neo Member
Can I get some tips for the endgame of FF III DS? I tried to storm through it this morning but got beat by Cerberus. It wasn't just a beating, it was a complete massacre - having three moves per turn, he was able to wipe me out in two turns! :eek: Up until that point nothing was really bothering me and the fight with Xande wasn't that bad at all. I thought if I could handle him I would be ok for the real boss, and any mini bosses in between.

My levels were all in the late 40s and my current job set up is viking, summoner, devout and ninja. I should probably use provoke more with the viking but I enjoy having him dual wield hammers! I've since levelled up to have everyone lvl 50 (levelling up is so tedious with the battles being so slow in this) but don't fancy having another run at the final dungeon til I'm confident it won't be another wasted hours gameplay.

Anyone wanna exchange FC's to unlock the Onion Knight?!

mudkyp

Can I get some tips for the endgame of FF III DS? I tried to storm through it this morning but got beat by Cerberus. It wasn't just a beating, it was a complete massacre - having three moves per turn, he was able to wipe me out in two turns! :eek: Up until that point nothing was really bothering me and the fight with Xande wasn't that bad at all. I thought if I could handle him I would be ok for the real boss, and any mini bosses in between.

My levels were all in the late 40s and my current job set up is viking, summoner, devout and ninja. I should probably use provoke more with the viking but I enjoy having him dual wield hammers! I've since levelled up to have everyone lvl 50 (levelling up is so tedious with the battles being so slow in this) but don't fancy having another run at the final dungeon til I'm confident it won't be another wasted hours gameplay.

Anyone wanna exchange FC's to unlock the Onion Knight?!

I did the same and got massacred as well. I suggest trying to level up to about 55 or so.

Heropon

Previously on Final Fantasy: Hero and his minions attacked a poor group of pirates and stole their ship. With it, they got a crown in a cave to give it to an evil elf. Thankful, the elf tried to kill them but it backfired. Thanks to that, the party could continue a fetch quest to awake a prince. In return, they got a key.

Chapter 2: The Earth Crystal

gfjc0.png
aCWwy.png

With the key, our heroes could pilfer more treasure around the world. The most important thing was nitro powder. Great, I can't wait to blow up some
dodongos
mountains.

DGg8B.png
d2IcY.png

This time, the person/thing/animal that told them where to go was, let's say... Ramuh. They went to see some dwarves and one of them was a crazy pyrotechnic. Things were better than expected. Instead of being buried alive, a new path was opened. Let's save more people!

v4c5g.png
pCTqh.png

Our heroes went to another city. There, the cause of the problem was a vampire that causes the rotting of the earth. Before going to meet him, the heroes go to buy some stuff so the monsters don't have hero's meat for lunch. I wish I could call THIEF to take that armor.

TSH2H.png
Mvmaf.png

Ready to slay some monsters, the group goes to the vampire's lair. Before killing the baddie, the four warriors of light get a lot of monies from the treasures. What were doing all these things there? Is the vampire a kleptomaniac? The vampire says our heroes can't change destiny. Serah feels attacked and vents her anger on him. Those were his last words.

ci8Im.png

Before returning to the town, our heroes get the last treasure. Nothing less than a ruby! In the way out, THIEF thinks about all the bows and debts he can pay with the cave's money.

n3rAj.png
1woyt.png

Walking to Melmond, the group sees another cave. They drool thinking this cave could have as much money as the previous, so they go in. There, a stone giant eats their ruby :( They continue their way thinking about their wallets. They go out of the cave only to find another cave. Hopeful again, they find an old man in it. He tells the vampire was only a minion of the real deal, a fiend that rots the earth, and gives them an earth rod so they can reach it. Before taking the quest, they go to the town to rest.

nDw66.png
lZvCo.png

After five long floors full of killer freaks our heroes reach a room with a XXL version of a crystal they have. Before touching it, the fiend appears and the battle for freedom begins.

k2z6A.png
BDE2o.png

Our heroes had a hard time fighting this little %&/?!# thanks to their aversion to grind and Riku's low HP. Thanks to temper, Hero's hits went from bad to acceptable. After some strong magics, Lich killed Hero. Serah took a phoenix down from her pocket and revived the fighter. That was the time of the revengeance.

T3Rnl.png

Our heroes didn't find his weak spot but killed him anyways. Thanks to this, the great crystal began to shine again.

JerkShep

I and II: there are two versions of each: the NES version (remade in FF Origins) and the GBA version (remade on the PSP Anniversary editions.) FF Origins is a 16-bit-style-graphics, remade-soundtrack version that's largely gameplay-faithful to the originals but adds some excellent UX improvements like dashing and auto-retargeting. If you want to play the original versions of the games, play this version (available on PSN.) The GBA version completely rebalances both games (making them far, far easier) but adds extra secret dungeons to each. The PSP versions of both have all the same content and a little extra besides; if you want to play the extra content, play the PSP versions.

III: The two versions are pretty different. The original NES version has the rough edges of all the old FFs (and only a mediocre fan translation into English), but it's got probably the greatest 8-bit-chiptune RPG soundtrack of all time and Aeana thinks it's the best version. The DS version (and its port to iOS) is polygonal, with a remade soundtrack, and some pretty significant content rebalancing; it's slower and has some limitations (like only a few monsters per encounter) but I enjoyed it a lot.

IV: The DS remake is completely different from the original game, with a complete rebalancing of every system, every boss battle, and every encounter; it's great but it takes a pretty easy game and makes it outrageously difficult, so I probably wouldn't recommend it the first time through. Every English version of the original IV has huge glaring problems ("FFII" for SNES is the for-babbies Easy Type, the GBA version has tons of severe bugs, and the PSX version has atrocious load times) except for the recently-released PSP version, so play that.

V: The GBA version is the definitive version: added content and an amazing English translation. Don't even consider the only other option (the awfully-translated, even-worse-loading PSX version.)

VI: The GBA version has the best content (a pretty respectful new translation that fixes some of the technical limitations of the SNES version, some new added Espers) but unfortunately it butchers the soundtrack so badly that I can't recommend it. The PSX version is, if anything, even worse for this game than the other two, so really the best way to play this now is to buy the SNES version on Wii Virtual Console.

I'm quoting you but thanks everyone for the in depth answers. I've already played FF1 Origins version so I think I'm gonna go with the PSP version for that and II.
DS versions for III, PSP for IV, and GBA for V then. My only doubt is FFVI, I've already beaten the game on PS1 when it was released (oh god the loading times ugh)...but I've tried it on PSP recently and it seemed...decent? The music problem on GBA and the even smaller screen really worries me. Ugh can't decide...and I really wnated to start with VI, that's the problem ahah

I finished FFXIII last night and I can't understand the story. Could someone explain?

Barthandelus built Cocoon in order to sacrifice it and summon the Maker, but he can't pull the trigger himself as fal'Cie lack free will, right? In that case, how could he have built it in the first place?

What were the Pulse fal'Cie fighting Cocoon for anyway? Were they trying to stop Barthandelus or help him? If the former, why attack en masse? If the latter, why did the Cocoon fal'Cie try to stop them? It makes no sense.

In the end, the party kills Orphan even though that's specifically what they were trying to stop the Cavalry from doing not a half hour previously. Then Vanille and Fang turn into Ragnarok and stop Cocoon from crashing into Termina Gran Pulse. They screwed up and got bailed out by the last two Aussies left in the planet and that's somehow a happy ending?

Don't get me wrong - the game is an amazing ride with an incredibly polished battle system, but the story is a convoluted mess.

Heropon

I finished FFXIII last night and I can't understand the story. Could someone explain?

Barthandelus built Cocoon in order to sacrifice it and summon the Maker, but he can't pull the trigger himself as fal'Cie lack free will, right? In that case, how could he have built it in the first place?

What were the Pulse fal'Cie fighting Cocoon for anyway? Were they trying to stop Barthandelus or help him? If the former, why attack en masse? If the latter, why did the Cocoon fal'Cie try to stop them? It makes no sense.

In the end, the party kills Orphan even though that's specifically what they were trying to stop the Cavalry from doing not a half hour previously. Then Vanille and Fang turn into Ragnarok and stop Cocoon from crashing into Termina Gran Pulse. They screwed up and got bailed out by the last two Aussies left in the planet and that's somehow a happy ending?

Don't get me wrong - the game is an amazing ride with an incredibly polished battle system, but the story is a convoluted mess.

I was trying to answer your questions, but my mind was getting messed. But,
Barthandelus didn't build Cocoon, it was a god called Lindzei, the counterpart to Gran Pulse.

Bladenic

Started FF2 on the iPhone and I just got the Mythril, which is the farthest I've ever gotten in this game. So far, I'm liking it. Not seeing the hate for the leveling system, pretty straightforward.

Natetan

Started FF2 on the iPhone and I just got the Mythril, which is the farthest I've ever gotten in this game. So far, I'm liking it. Not seeing the hate for the leveling system, pretty straightforward.

glad youre enjoying it! I had very low expectations due to its notoriety, but the iOS version anyway is now in the top half of my favorite ff games. great music, looks nice, fun game play. Sure its not perfect (ultima is worthless for example), but I did really enjoy the added content section.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

The entire plot of the game is a zen koan designed to tie your brain in an illogical knot and coax it into a state of "unthinking".

Congratulations. You are now Enlightened.

Toth

I'll give this a whirl.

He and his brethern could build Cocoon but not destroy it. Fal'Cie cannot destroy themselves. Barthanedelus planned to ignite a war with Pulse so their L'Cie would destroy Cocoon. Basically, a loophole in his plan.

It is not stated as well in the game but Barthandelus was taking pieces from Gran Pulse and agitating the Pulse Fal'cie. People on Pulse felt that the Cocoon Fal;Cie were stealing their land and family away. The leaders of the Pulse cities began spreading the stories that the people within Cocoon were evil. Thus it was a war of survival. These tidbits are explained better in the Episode O novellas (never officially translated of course...)

As for the Pulse Fal' Cie, no they were not helping Bart as they are pretty indifferent to human life. Their 'programming' is to search for the door to the Unseen Realm through excavating Gran Pulse. Barthandelus and Cocoon were impeding that and thus needed to be taken out. Fal'Cie are programmed to defend themselves whether they want to or not so they had to fight back even though they would have happily laid down and let Fang rip the world apart.

Lightning and co. went into the Cradle with their goal to protect Orphan and kill Barthandelus. Unfortunately, killing Bart only caused him to merge with Orphan and reveal the truth that Orphan did not wanted to be protected at all. It was born only to die and death was all it believed in. The party had to fight to stay alive from the Orphan hybrid but they could not win as long as Ragnarok was not summoned to break Orphan's shield. Fang almost did just that but Etro intervened (you see her 'eye' - Etro's Gate - open just before Fangarok is about to land the final blow) and reminded Fang of her journey and her humanity. Bartandelus tried to get her to transform again but with his shield down, Lightning was able to kill him. Orphan alone then arose to fight and the team made their stand. If they did nothing, Orphan would simply do what Barthandelus did and coax other innocent people into killing him. Or he could sit back and let the world tear itself apart with all the monsters from the Ark killing the citizens. The Fal Cie had to be destroyed if humanity was to survive.

Lightning and co. fought back though because when they were Ceith, they ALL witnessed the same vision, a new Focus where the world was saved and everyone was together. The six all decided to gamble it all and trust that that Focus was the fate they could shape if they destroyed Orphan. This they did and totally freed humanity from the Fal'Cie's false rule. Now, it does get a bit underwritten here but as they were falling upward from the imploding Cradle, Lightning, Sazh, Snow and Hope were unsure of what to do. Fang and Vanille, being the the only ones who really understood what Ragnarok was and what it entailed (once again discussed in the novellas...), saved the day by sacrificing themselves to become a complete Ragnarok and save Cocoon. As Hope says, if they have the power to destroy Cocoon, they have the power to save it. It is possible the team planned to join together and become Ragnarok themselves but doing so would result in them all being sacrificed. I have a theory that Vanille and Fang purposely stayed behind and turned themselves into Ragnarok first to prevent the other four from sharing their fate.

Toth

I think that is in the datalog.

Why can't SE offically release this video to clarify the whole FNC mythology....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...d=LwFlVr6ceXg&annotation_id=annotation_256718

Also, regarding Lindzei, I have a theory.

I think Lindzei had Barthandelus build Cocoon to protect Bhunivelze from humanity which, due their chaos within, has the potential to overstep the power of the Fal'Cie and possibly become strong enough to destroy Bhunivelze. Barthandelus's plan may have been on his own and in the long run, I wonder if doing what he did actually empowers humanity to grow strong enough to do just what Lindzei feared...

The best twist I could think of for the FNC mytholgy was that
Bhunivelze was just a simple but genius human all along who built sentient machines called Fal'Cie using crystals for his own purposes

The music problem on GBA and the even smaller screen really worries me.

Well, as bad as the music is in the GBA version (IMO), it's actually even worse in the PSX version.

If you do decide to play the GBA version, there is apparently a soundtrack-restoration patch out now. I haven't heard it, but it might fix things up enough to make it the preferable version of the game.

On top of making the game as a whole much, much easier, the GBA/PSP/iOS version tweaks the leveling system in quite a few ways to try to make it feel more "normal" -- it auto-levels your HP and levels spells much more quickly than the original version.

Randomizer

Thanks to this thread I finally got around to playing and completing FFVI. Years ago I borrowed a friend's copy for the PSX and I remember not liking it and being annoyed due to the horrible loading times. This time I opted for the the virtual console version and I am so glad I did.

What an amazing game, easily one of the best (if not the best) in the entire series. Beautiful art, sprite work and animation, a breathtaking soundtrack, a story of greater depth than previous titles with a cast of wonderful characters and of course fantastic gameplay with lots variety and innovation. As the precursor to FFVII it really shows, these games have many things in common. Such as the huge selection of characters including hidden characters and fleshing out most of the character's back stories. Then you have other things like secrets and side quests such as the dragons and Deathgaze which are similar to the weapons. The music also share some striking similarities, I'm almost positive Uematsu has used some of the same midi samples for both games.

I love how in the later half of the game it became more open allowing you to advance the game at your own pace. Going around and finding all the the scattered characters was a very enjoyable experience. The story was also such a large step up from IV and V. The villain wasn't some typical two dimensional evil being and there were some genuine touching moments. It was also surprising very funny Ultros and Kefka are amazing. All in all an wonderful experience and easily one the best games I've ever played. I can't believe it took me this long to actually getting around to playing it.

Robot Pants

playing FF7 for the 3rd time (and finally going to beat it) and I finally see why it is so widely acclaimed. It's a 15 year old game, and I'm having a blast with it. Story is good, Materia system rules....Just a solid game.
But I STILL love FF8. Don't care what the haters say.

Goli

Well, like I said before, I picked up FFII again and instead of starting a new game I loaded my save file where I was on the Dreadnought.
After freeing Hilda, the party destroys the Dreadnought with the Sunfire:
zT2WM.png
UGktV.png

Afterwards they return to Altair where the king is dying; with his last bit of strength he commands Minwu to get the Ultima tome, Gordon to take command of the rebel forces and attack Fynn, and Firion and his party to recruit the help of the Dragoons.
p3hvs.png
k8LsZ.png

To get to the Dragoons they use the help of Leila and her pirate crew (after beating them up)...
5XkX5.png

...and get to Deist, which sadly is inhabited save for a woman and her child and a lone empire-poisoned wyvern. From the woman they find out they need a special pendant to talk to the wyvern if they are to enlist his help somehow, so they go and retrieve it:
fkPo6.png

On their return to Deist, the wyvern requests the party do to a little something for him:
ndoPh.png

Before doing so the party defeats a bunch of ferocious chimeras:
xsdxm.png
WnsWQ.png

And then...
x5dbm.png

On Deist once more, they find out the wyvern has passed away, sadly.
4PNxy.png

Subsequently they head to Altair to report their findings, only to encounter a strange Hilda who invites Firion to bed with her:
h5lUm.png

Later revealing herself to be the evil Lamia Queen:
mLYYC.png

Just after defeating her they learn the real Hilda is in fact being held prisoner at the Coliseum, where they go only to realise the whole Coliseum is in fact a big trap designed for their (almost) death and imprisonment from the Emperor's hand:
VeORO.png
hdgiF.png

In the end and after defeating the behemoth, almost killing the Emperor and being captured, they are set free by Paul who also helps Hilda. Eventually they learn the rebel forces have set up a ccamp on Fynn's outskirts to regain it from evil general Gottos.
GyzBL.png
zC5e8.png

The party defeats him and are thanked by Hilda and her companions, who express their worry over Minwu's prolonged absence. Firion and his friends decide to go look for him, but before being able to even get to the Mysidian Tower where the Ultima tome is held, and where Minwu is, they retrieve the two masks necessary to get the Crystal Rod which in turn is required to unlock the path to the tower.
o6asR.png

Finally, with rod in hand, they head to the tower on Leila's ship, but are swallowed by a giant whirlpool:
QXiS1.png
GsF7b.png

The giant whirlpool leads the party to Leviathan's bowels, but not the whole party. Leila is separated from them and at a loss of her, the party has no choice but to move on.
fXtrd.png

Eventually they recruit a new companion, dragoon Ricard, and manage to get out of Leviathan and unlock the Mysidian Tower using the Crystal Rod:
H6I0e.png

At the top finally and after having defeated many gigas of all sorts and denominations they encounter Minwu, who uses his powers to unlock the seal placed on the Ultima tome.
Z9CqG.png
xizI0.png

Unfortunately this also drains whatever life he had left and kills him.
O8XQZ.png

After the unfortunate turn of events and with Ultima finally in hand, the party returns to Hilda only to learn the Empire now has a floating fortress suspended in a giant cyclone that cannot be reached on foot, luckily for everyone the little wyvern that was in the egg the party had placed in the spring near Deist earlier has hatched:
qRMBL.png
bOb97.png

And with his help they go to the flying fortress:
jybaX.png
j3Yqb.png

At the top the party encounters the Emperor and defeats him and his minions:
rq5L2.png
XfkCW.png

Finally, the Empire gone everyone celebrates:
G3gI6.png

But such felicity is short lived, for a mysterious dark knight has appointed himself new ruler of the Empire. Maria suspects it to be Leon, her long lost brother. They head out to meet him, and Maria's suspicions are proven correct. In the midst of their heartwarming reunion, the real Emperor comes back from Hell with intentions of resuming his evil plan.
hYzZU.png
2e38Q.png

Back at Altair once more and with Leon in their ranks they learn the Emperor is now at Pandaemonium. Everyone knows they must end things now if they don't want the whole world seized under his hand, thus they set out for the Jade Passage, which leads to Pandaemonium:
khanf.png
PKG2F.png

After making their way through it, finally, they arrive at...
yp2w8.png

Later on they finally come face to face with the evil Emperor, and defeat him, again:
myseh.png
XPhOP.png

At last the world rests at peace and everyone lives happily ever after.
Y2VWK.png
RHOAS.png

The end!
gxa4H.png
rrFZ3.png
s0T7K.png

Yay! I never thought I'd beat FFII since I always kind of hated it but... now I think I like it.
Also, the save data background makes a really nice PSP wallpaper:
MhpSf.png

Up next, more TCB and FFIII.

Natetan

Well, like I said before, I picked up FFII again and instead of starting a new game I loaded my save file where I was on the Dreadnought.
After freeing Hilda, the party destroys the Dreadnought with the Sunfire:

Ha, funny I just finished playing up to this part.

Does anyone do the added PSP dungeons? It's so confusing and the rewards don't really seem worth it or enjoyable to get so I usually pass....

Glad you like FFII now. It gets a bad rap I think...

Entropia

No One Remembers
Alright, Final Fantasy VI beaten! Awesome game as always though, Kefka's fight felt kind of underwhelming more so than usual.

Now to loop back and start at Final Fantasy I...

Heropon

Previously on Final Fantasy: The gang travelled to a town attacked by a vampire. As they were some nice dudes (and Serah), they decided to slain it. Soon they would discover a more malicious being was behind the vampire. By killing it, the earth crystal began to shine again.

Chapter 3: Screwing up the timeline

SlQv9.png
ZjxvI.png

First things first, our heroes use the money of the cave to buy nice things. Then, they board their boat and try to visit more towns. Thanks to the lack of harbors, the only town available that they have not visited was Crescent, so there they go!

QZ5Gt.png
dp7Qr.png

In this town they bought some ethers. They were going to be handy in the long dungeons that awaited them. Afterwards, the group was informed about some companions of the fiend they killed before. There were three left and the next one was in a volcano. Waiting for a fiend-vanquishing sword to purge the evil, our lovely party recieved a canoe instead. The group left the town with disappointment in their faces.

bEnlp.png
1p5Pi.png

After picking the wrong river, Riku and his partners end up in an ice cavern. Walking through it they fight dozens of paralysis inducing monsters. In a room, they see an interesting artifact and try to catch it, but they fall through a hole.

Fo0T8.png

Luckily, like all the caverns in the world, there was treasure scattered everywhere.

Z61xI.png
HXbWr.png

At last, they could reach the mysterious artifact, but not before fighting another evil monster. The item they got was called levistone. Having adquired the levistone, they didn't have anything to do there, so they left to the overworld.

Iiv3V.png
iHpBW.png

After some other mistakes, they arrive at a desert. In there, the levistone shines and an earthquake occurs.

lmuUt.png
sUsnq.png

The eartquake reveals their new toy, an airship. Thanks to that, our heroes can spread peace and love around the poor towns without harbor. In the air, THIEF gets motion-sickness and they try to stop in the desert, but it isn't possible. How strange, it was in the desert! After beating up THIEF so he doesn't annoys them, our heroes goes to other places with their own airship.

Bladenic

I just finished the Snow Caverns in FFII and I've played about 5 hours so far. I'm actually quite liking it and enjoying myself. It definitely has that "gotta keep playing" feeling that almost every FF game has for me. About how long is the game? It took me 14 hours to beat FFI but that's probably a bit longer than actual game time.

Goli

I just finished the Snow Caverns in FFII and I've played about 5 hours so far. I'm actually quite liking it and enjoying myself. It definitely has that "gotta keep playing" feeling that almost every FF game has for me. About how long is the game? It took me 14 hours to beat FFI but that's probably a bit longer than actual game time.

It took me a bit over 18 hours as a first timer, but you can also see that Aeana took about 9-ish.

Top Bottom