• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of Final Fantasy's 25th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

finally going to run through FFVI with the intent to beat it on my iphone. Played it at various points from borrowing a friend's cart and playing Chronicles, and finally picked up my own FFIII SNES cart a few years ago, but couldn't really find the time to sit down and plow through it. Sitting at work though, with that kinda downtime...I have the time to do this now. :D

Just got Terra & Co. to Narshe, Doing Sabin's trip through the Veldt, then going to do Locke's South Figaro section last.

Here's hoping I actually make it past Atma Weapon this time! -_-;

Labadal

I haven't been posting my latest FFV progress, but I have now reached the town of Gorn. Not doing any optional stuff this time, I'm just going to stick to the story. (I accidentally deleted my screenshots folder, so no pics to post of my current progress. *facepalms* I'll be posting screens next time.)

I'm also slowly completing missions in FFTA2. I haven't played much of it the last few days, but I hope to remedy that soon.

I was also going to start FFVIII this weekend, but I ended up playing Arc the Lad. FFVIII will have to wait some more.

Heropon

Previously on Final Fantasy: The four warriors travelled to a fortress where they found a rat's tail. Thanks to that, Bahamut promoted them. Afterwards, they finally found the Fiend's volcano, where they slayed Marilith and reactivated the Fire Crystal.

Chapter 5: Waterworld

HA2CT.png
m6hH2.png

Thanks to their sources, the same that told them the Wii U specs, the group found a desert caravan. The rupee-gil exchange rate was really high at the moment, so they had to pay a lot of money for the fairy. The monsters in this game give more money than gold golems, so they had enough money.

b5mOn.png
uMt4r.png

As they were close to some misterious waterfall, they decided to go in. In there, they found a warp cube. It was the perfect present for Toriyama.

QV5yE.png
AIKoS.png

The fairy whispered: "Take me to Hawkeye". Said and done. The heroes and the fairy went to a spring and she got them oxyale, so they could breathe underwater.

IBbfK.png
vikDX.png

The next stop was Onrac. They decide to help a woman that wants to save the mermaids. As soon as they accept she flees like a coward. Thanks to a patented barrel and the oxyale they can go to the mermaids' temple.

R4LjY.png
oz48s.png

In the depths of the temple, Serah and her slaves found the third fiend. After an easy battle, the light of the water crystal is restored. With their work done, they get out of there.

iE4Bf.png
nNy38.png

They have forgotten to save the mermaids, so they enter the temple again. They find them in the top floor. It seems they are safe, so the four heroes take their treasures. The most important item in there is the Rosetta Stone. Ability x4, nice!!!

Psxphile

Speaking of that, I really would like the next numbered Final Fantasy to have characters with specialized jobs and roles. Straight up, one person is a black mage, one is a dragoon etc etc... but that's all they are.

Until that day arrives, why not replay an older FF that doesn't already have set jobs/roles for each character and create your own? FF2/5/6/7/8 each have ways to enforce class jobs on a character in some way by manipulating certain aspects.

I guess I should mention that I've been playing through FFIV Complete Collection. I beat the main game, but I wanted to do the Lunar Ruins for the hell of it. After that's done with I'll move on to Interlude and The After Years, the latter I had skipped when it debuted on WiiWare for no discernible reason other than I had a full plate already. Really curious to see how it stacks up.

been playing tactics A2 on the 3DS (only FF I have access to at the moment)

it's been great upgrading and equipping my clan, switching jobs and running quests.
Spent countless hours on the gba game and I can tell it's going to be the same here as well.

I spent 120+ hours on FFTA2 ;_;

Aeana

Done with FF13-2, so I'll be starting up FF4 at some point. I decided I'll just do the PSP version, since I have an ulterior agenda here of trying to appreciate the non-DS versions of FF4 more than I do, and playing the best version [and a version I've not played for very long, yet] is probably a good way to go about doing that. But I'm definitely not playing in English - that font is turble.

Bal Castle - Interlude
(or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Blue Mages)

Arriving at Bal Castle, the party learns of their next task
FinalFantasyVAdvance_17-5.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_18-3.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_19-5.png

Which I decide to completely ignore in favor of checking out the basement.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_03-8.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_04-8.png

Objet d'Art is the only enemy found here, in groups of two or five. They're also conveniently level 45...
FinalFantasyVAdvance_08-6.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_06-7.png

...and give out much more AP and gil than average for enemies in this part of the game (but much less EXP).
FinalFantasyVAdvance_11-3.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_12-5.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_13-2.png

After abusing this for a while, Kat and Galuf both master Blue Mage. Kat also masters Bard.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_21-6.png

Maybe next time I'll actually leave the castle?

Hey, so I'm doing my second play through of FF6 (years back I got about 80% through on the PSX port), and I want to know (without spoilers if possible) when I should check a guide for missable/optional characters (I think Gogo, Mog, Umaro are all missable/optional? and Shadow eventually...?). So if somebody can give me some landmarks/flags I should look out for, that'd be great. I'd hate to go digging through a guide and ruin something for myself!

.JayZii

Banned
Until that day arrives, why not replay an older FF that doesn't already have set jobs/roles for each character and create your own? FF2/5/6/7/8 each have ways to enforce class jobs on a character in some way by manipulating certain aspects.

That's what I do when I play VII, VIII and XII... I just think its more interesting if the characters job is an intrinsic part of their character. Of course I can give characters only one job if I want to, I just want to see them implement a few restrictions into the game design. I feel it helps make all of the characters useful and distinct, as opposed to interchangeable blank canvases.

Also, then the game encounters can be more tense if you have to make compromises with your party lineup. The developers can design the encounters, dungeons, bosses etc with any given party's handicaps in mind.

You have good taste, Ashe is the best. Sadly, I like to rotate characters, so I can't play with her all the time.

Yeah. I'm a big fan of Ashe. I like her character. But no, I just like to focus on a specific party myself. I'm like that for pretty much every jrpg.

But anyway I'm back up on stream. I'm almost finished with Raithwall. After this there are some pretty cool cutscenes.

Xux

Hey, so I'm doing my second play through of FF6 (years back I got about 80% through on the PSX port), and I want to know (without spoilers if possible) when I should check a guide for missable/optional characters (I think Gogo, Mog, Umaro are all missable/optional? and Shadow eventually...?). So if somebody can give me some landmarks/flags I should look out for, that'd be great. I'd hate to go digging through a guide and ruin something for myself!
The only missable character: on the Floating Continent, wait for the fourth party member after the boss. After the Floating Continent, everything's optional after Daryl's Tomb before the final dungeon.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I should have Final Fantasy I beat tonight. Last night I finished up by picking up the Warp Cube. I know it's the first game, but it feels incredibly short and small in scale.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Decided to play Final Fantasy III. How long is this game?

The DS version feels kinda slow though.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
DS version takes like twice as long as the Famicom version. You should expect to spend about 30 hours on DS. 10-15 on Famicom.

Geez. Now I might reconsider checking out the NES version. Did they add a lot of stuff in the DS version or is it just that slow?

Aeana

Geez. Now I might reconsider checking out the NES version. Did they add a lot of stuff in the DS version or is it just that slow?

It's slow. Battles are slower, areas are "bigger" in relation to your character + movement is a little slower.

MechaX

I'll probably end up beating 13-2 tonight. Fun game, but it has its own flaws (and it completely removes things I felt to be excelling strengths in the original 13). But I have been kicking around which FF title to replay.

FFV - I would go through this, given how I only finished the FF Anthologies version almost a decade ago. But the Advance version is so damn expensive (plus, I got ripped off pretty hard in the past for buying a GBA Cart online given how bootleg carts are pretty rampant) and to my knowledge, there still isn't a good fantranslation of V out.

FFVI - Last time I went through it was about three years ago using my friend's borrowed Advance copy. Again, Advance is pretty expensive online, but there is the VC option (although, I hope that getting Wii Shop running on Homebrew is an effortless task). Emulation is probably a better option since I already own the game twice over.

FFVII - Wanted to play this along side its anniversary, but there is a pretty excellent Something Awful LP going on right now for the game.

FFIX - Interestingly, I have only gone through FFIX once and that was when it was first released. Hell, I don't even remember what really happens in the game, but the slow battle system might be a killer. Regardless, I can experience the memories again by pulling out that super
fuckinguseless
FFIX Strategy Guide!

FFXII International - I have been going through this for the past few years at a snail's pace. Doesn't help that I'm getting close to the point where the story just takes an unrecoverable nose-dive.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I'll probably end up beating 13-2 tonight. Fun game, but it has its own flaws (and it completely removes things I felt to be excelling strengths in the original 13). But I have been kicking around which FF title to replay.

FFV - I would go through this, given how I only finished the FF Anthologies version almost a decade ago. But the Advance version is so damn expensive (plus, I got ripped off pretty hard in the past for buying a GBA Cart online given how bootleg carts are pretty rampant) and to my knowledge, there still isn't a good fantranslation of V out.

FFVI - Last time I went through it was about three years ago using my friend's borrowed Advance copy. Again, Advance is pretty expensive online, but there is the VC option (although, I hope that getting Wii Shop running on Homebrew is an effortless task). Emulation is probably a better option since I already own the game twice over.

FFVII - Wanted to play this along side its anniversary, but there is a pretty excellent Something Awful LP going on right now for the game.

FFIX - Interestingly, I have only gone through FFIX once and that was when it was first released. Hell, I don't even remember what really happens in the game, but the slow battle system might be a killer. Regardless, I can experience the memories again by pulling out that super
fuckinguseless
FFIX Strategy Guide!

FFXII International - I have been going through this for the past few years at a snail's pace. Doesn't help that I'm getting close to the point where the story just takes an unrecoverable nose-dive.

Haha, I got the strategy guide with it as well (Birthday present). I love how half the stuff requires you to go to some site to find out more information. Is it even up still?!

I'm playing 13-2 and do far I'm pleasently surprised at how good it is.

Truth. I'm enjoying it so far. As much as the music can really suck sometimes (first Atlas fight, anybody?) I think it does a good job of energizing the game and making it less of a downer than FF13 was. Also, it's nice to see PEOPLE around! FF13 was by far the most sterile RPG I've ever played.

Ultratech

Haha, I got the strategy guide with it as well (Birthday present). I love how half the stuff requires you to go to some site to find out more information. Is it even up still?!

I remember years ago when I saw it in a store and started reading it.

"Oh hey, this should be interesting reading..."

Then you find out you have to go to that PlayOnline site for more info. I don't think it even really exists anymore. (Unless somebody saved the site.)

How was this a remotely good idea at the time??

Truth. I'm enjoying it so far. As much as the music can really suck sometimes (first Atlas fight, anybody?) I think it does a good job of energizing the game and making it less of a downer than FF13 was. Also, it's nice to see PEOPLE around! FF13 was by far the most sterile RPG I've ever played.

Lol the atlas fight song (the one in the beginning of the demo) is my favorite song that I've heard in the game so far. Really gets
Me pumped up for battle and I love the lyrics.

Suairyu

Banned
Gentleman and (objectively, given the nature of your deed) a scholar.

edit - so much redundancy in it all. No reason why this couldn't have been included in the guide itself.

shuri

Banned
This thread inspired me to rebuy FF:Origins on the psn. I loved FF1 when I was a kid on the NES, its interesting to see how 20 years makes a difference when it comes to strategies.. When I was 10 years old, i would only buy offensive magic (bolt, fire, etc), or would seldom have a white mage in my team; now my team is all about using buffs and debuffs and being strategic!

I just got the pirate boat. I like the snes look the remake has. The translation is different, isnt it? The text isnt the same at all!

Johnas

This thread inspired me to rebuy FF:Origins on the psn. I loved FF1 when I was a kid on the NES, its interesting to see how 20 years makes a difference when it comes to strategies.. When I was 10 years old, i would only buy offensive magic (bolt, fire, etc), or would seldom have a white mage in my team; now my team is all about using buffs and debuffs and being strategic!

I just got the pirate boat. I like the snes look the remake has. The translation is different, isnt it? The text isnt the same at all!

I'm playing this right now also, it's a beautiful game. I feel like the translation is different, but I'm not 100% sure (levistone versus floatstone, for example, if I remember right).

I love the promotion/class change midway through the game, it's one of the coolest moments in any RPG for me.

I posted earlier that I thought the game leaned more toward the original in difficulty, but at this point in the game, I've changed my mind on that. It's pretty easy right now, not GBA easy, but the difficulty curve has really smoothed out, for better or worse.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Time for another short break from FF XIII-2 and for some more FF III (where's all the kupokupo gone?).

PfU0U.png

Last time I stopped at Canaan.

6cpLn.png
VuWZf.png

But then I heard about some treasure I missed in the first cave. So I went back and indeed there were a lot of treasure chests. Mostly with stuff I already bought, but there was some money as well. :)

SR7dv.png
TeZv3.png

Okay, back to the story to pay a visit to Bahamut.

4MUO8.png
jwJzz.png

That didn't go so well, though. These pictures are actually from two different fights. After the first one (which I barely managed to survive) I went back to town to heal. Didn't get very far when the fight in the second picture happened, so back again (not gonna use my Phoenix Downs here). But on my third attempt:

G4b35.png
ylykC.png

I finally made it to the summit!

bFxGn.png
tfyqk.png

That shady guy told me to run away right away, but since Bahamut doesn't seem to deal much damage (maximum he did was 2), I tried to fight him. I managed to hurt him a little, but after I looked up his HP (60,000?), I decided I might be better off running away.

5LfGC.png

"Where to?", I thought. Oh well, why not just down the mountain.

MFzbh.png
l4f1u.png

I remember this area from the remake. I was to lazy to change my jobs, so I decided to run away from every fight in the cave. Some of my people nearly died, but in the end it worked perfectly.

09c2U.png
8W9s1.png

Next stop: Final Fantasy V! At least it feels like that. The pirates, no, vikings even look the same. There's some nice treasure to find here. How about all level 3 black magic spells?

EFJWt.png
PPEy1.png

This is where I stopped. So far I'm really enjoying the Famicom version, but what bothers me is how often you (and the enemies) miss. Battles take way too long just because of that. Am I doing something wrong or will this get better later on?

Link1110

The next dungeon is annoying. Make sure you make 3 black mages and give each one of those level 3 spells. You can leave the other a white Mage. The boss will go down pretty quickly.

Heropon

Final Chapter: From the sky to the chaos.

2fReX.png

Without Guardian Forces, our friendly neighborhood heroes have to find another use to the Rosetta Stone: A philologist teaches them Lufenian with its help.

NHOCs.png
Rfk5K.png

Their next stop is a town full of path-blocker meanies. Now that they know their language, they can obtain the key to the Mirage Tower, a chime.

YCYtX.png
HQkq1.png

In the middle of a desert stands the legendary Mirage Tower. Thanks to the chime, the group can enter it. Inside, the party finds ol' friends of them.

dKiGI.png
VALiS.png

The name of the second image is VALiS.
The group manages to evade Omega Warmech. At the top of the tower they find the Sun Cryst a teleport to the Flying Fortress.

EcorL.png

In this fortress, the legendary Adamantite awaits. Thanks to this, the final boss is a little more dead.

omFBK.png
aCKVW.png

The last Fiend awaits to be killed mercilessly. With the old strategy of buffing Hero, the group manages to destroy Tiamat and the last crystal shines again. But this isn't the end. As they saw in another room, the energies of the crystals are being drawn to a familiar place, the Chaos Shrine.

GtAaa.png
DfTNV.png

Before going to the last dungeon, the party buys the most powerful spells they can use (not Lv.8 magic) and gets the Excalibur thanks to their adamantite. With all this things, our heroes are ready.

Cw807.png
KFGBl.png

Hero, THIEF, Serah and Riku travel to the past to storm the shrine. After some time, they find what seems to be a dead end. Thanks to princess Sarah's lute, they break the illusion and can proceed.

21x8Y.png
2Q7x5.png

gKn1t.png
S5hGD.png

Along the way, familiar faces attack. Our heroes, with fourty levels at their backs, delete their enemies without remorse.

DQJLO.png
OhdTd.png

At the heart of the dungeon, the heroes of light find the big bad. Surprise, surprise! The last boss is Garland, tenacious as a cockroach. Thanks to his evil powers, he becomes a worthy rival.

FLKs5.png
1yAO5.png

Well, let's explain the strategy: buff Hero, raise the HP cap so the characters don't die of two spells and cure, cure, cure.

Jnrok.png
R4xkB.png

This boss isn't even a threat, as he goes down like his minions. Well, our heroes save the day, blah, blah, blah. THE END.

zC3uy.png
fjaXZ.png

I've never finished this game with Lv. 41. I always learn the last spells, but thanks to the caravan's potions, who needs them?

This is my least favourite mainline Final Fantasy game, but it doesn't mean much.

Next: Final Fantasy II (PSP)

Just beat FF IX for the first time and it took me just under 60 hours. My final party was Dagger (68), Zidane (66), Steiner(61), and Vivi(65). I found the end pretty easy but it was still a fantastic ride the whole way through. Vivi was my favorite character by far though, overall I was pleased with the care Sqaure took to develop most of the cast.

It's hard for me to rank the FF games since I've only really played 1, 7, 9 and 12. I will say though that I completely adore 9. It's filled with so much charm and the battle system is simple but works so well. My only complaint would be that you lose 'Trance' after every battle even sometimes before you get a chance to use it.

Currently the other FF's I own and have yet to beat are 2, 4, 5, and 6 (All would be played on PS3). I can't decide which to start and I'm also juggling around the idea of replaying 7. Any suggestions?

So now, I'm heading through the Giza Plains during the rainy season. Pretty much the best track in the game plays here.

Well I can understand that watching FFXII can be a bit boring, right now especially no since there's not much going on in the story. I mean I'm watching Code Geass while playing this.

Either way I am streaming it and here is the post for today.

http://www.twitch.tv/rahxephon91

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
There's a lot of (justifiable) complaints levelled at FFXIII and FFXIII-2, but to give SE their due props, at their best points both titles have visuals that are as beautiful and arresting as anything in the history of gaming.

Mild area description spoilers ahead, I'm hiding the name of the zone to be on the safe side!

Right now for instance I'm just chilling near the end of
Academia AF500
in XIII-2, letting to the gentle tinkling of Naoshi Mizuta's "Chaotic Labyrinth" wash over me, mixed with it are distant sounds of whistling and the ominous sounds of air-raid sirens...

The track title is of course completely apposite, as accompanying this soundscape is a staggeringly detailed vista of a futuristic metropolis seeming dissasembling itself into a myriad of tetris-like geometric shapes.

Its quite the sight... wish you were here. :)

neoemonk

This is cool that you guys are doing this. I'm tempted but there's no way I can make it through all these games in year. I've played them all except for III, X-2, and XII but don't really want to acquire the ones I don't have.

I have gotten past the part at the beginning of FF2 PSP where everything is too ridiculously easy and instead gotten to the part where everything is just ridiculously rude and annoying instead. ;_;

So now, I'm heading through the Giza Plains during the rainy season. Pretty much the best track in the game plays here.

Agreed. It's a beautiful area too.

There's a lot of (justifiable) complaints levelled at FFXIII and FFXIII-2, but to give SE their due props, at their best points both titles have visuals that are as beautiful and arresting as anything in the history of gaming.

Also agreed. FFXIII has some of the most visually spectacular areas in any videogame I've ever played. If nobody else at Square-Enix has still got it, the map art teams certainly do.

This is cool that you guys are doing this. I'm tempted but there's no way I can make it through all these games in year.

I'm not sure anyone but Aeana is going to try to do all of them, heh.

Zeliard

Also agreed. FFXIII has some of the most visually spectacular areas in any videogame I've ever played. If nobody else at Square-Enix has still got it, the map art teams certainly do.

The visuals are the only thing that kept me playing the first FFXIII for as long as I did (my save says I stopped at Chapter 7). Borrowed FFXIII-2 from my brother and it's a similar experience so far, with the visuals being by far the most interesting thing about the game, outside of some of the combat. I do appreciate that they at least give you paradigm customization options earlier on this time around, though it still feels the need to start off with shitty QTE sections and auto-battling. I tired of the combat in the first game because of the drip-feeding of options and tactics via tutorials.

The visuals are striking though. Just bought a nice new display and it's definitely an impressive-looking game.

Natetan

I have gotten past the part at the beginning of FF2 PSP where everything is too ridiculously easy and instead gotten to the part where everything is just ridiculously rude and annoying instead. ;_;

Yeah, that's why I go down to Mysidia after I get Minh Wu. Granted that makes most of the game ridiculously easy, but hey.

I'm currently getting the black mask. For as much time as you spend getting the ultima spell, it's a shame that it's so worthless. I guess I wouldn't even mind the ultima spell being replaced by a special item you need to defeat the emperor or something similar. At least then it would seem required.

So is FF2 PSP worth playing if you've never played it. All the posts in here have made me interested. I tried playing it back when Dawn of Souls came out and couldn't get into it. Is the PSP version as broken as many claim FF2 is?

Let me in

What's wrong with RPGe's translation? It's been a while for me, but I didn't realize it wasn't held in high regard.

I am doing this now with the PC version (I still have that trapezoid box!). It reminds how much the new FFs are lacking in irony and basic humor.

This is perfect with the English patch.

Yeah, that's why I go down to Mysidia after I get Minh Wu. Granted that makes most of the game ridiculously easy, but hey.

It's not really even like the game is hard now, it's just obnoxious. When I get into a fight with eight guys, get ambushed, all of them cast stupid status effect spells with high hit rates, they all go before my guys do in the turn, and I can't run away because apparently it is literally impossible to run away in this game, it's not actually hard because they still can't really kill me very effectively*, it's just annoying sitting there waiting through all of it, and then afterwards some other dumb monster that steals 32 MP per hit from my guys shows up and it's just like WHAT UP.

I've never played the "easier" version before, and when I played the original version it was a fan translation of the WSC version like ten years ago and I did exactly that, power-grinding and buying fancy weapons in Mysidia right upfront. This time I'm trying to play it as God intended!

*Except when they cast "Break VII" and it petrifies my entire party immediately, like they did just now. Megaten'd in a Final Fantasy game!

What's wrong with RPGe's translation?

It's the first major RPG fan-translation. It's functional at best, shitty and inaccurate at worst. Compared to the scintillating Advance translation it's like Grade D Generic Fud.

MechaX

Probably not. God, what a waste of money that guide was. I pretty much just resorted to using the GameFAQs guides full time on that one (even despite how the computer and my PSX were in completely different rooms).

Also, I learned that the emulated GBA version of FF6 actually does have a patch to restore the sound quality. So... the definitive version is essentially on emulator?

What's wrong with RPGe's translation? It's been a while for me, but I didn't realize it wasn't held in high regard.

As charlequin noted, it was the among one of the first, but like the Tales of Phantasia SNES patch, it really hasn't aged that well. The anthologies translation isn't all that great either, but it is still a step above the SNES patch. Of course, when considering that FFV Advance trumps both versions even not-withstanding the translation, it just makes that version seem to be the go-to choice.

Derrick01

Banned
Does anyone know when the Treno auction house in FF9 updates its items? Is it every time you leave the city and come back?

I've got like 200,000 to burn here but there's some pretty shit items being offered.

Top Bottom