• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elements/features of the Halo franchise you want in Halo 4

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
This was partially brought up in the HaloGAF thread and I thought I would expand it from just focusing on Reach to opening it up to the entire franchise. We're talking features such as maybe theater to even certain maps and weapons.

There are some that are very dear to me and I'm just going to name a few to get it started.

From Halo 3, I would love to see the return of theater mode that allows more than 1 player to view a film. In Halo 3 you could have up to 4 people watching a film together in theater mode. In Halo Reach, for whatever reasons, that was brought down to 1. Obviously there were some technical issues. I used to love getting in a party with my team and breaking down film together. You can't really do that in Halo Reach.

204085-halo-3-theater-lobby_original.jpg

From Halo Reach, I would love to see the return of the Active Roster. Active Roster is basically UI feature that shows your friends who are playing Halo Reach. It's fast, it's smooth and with just a few button presses you can get detailed information on the gametype they're playing, the score, the time remaining along with the people they're playing with. You can also invite people from there very quickly and easily. Everyone knows just how clunky the Xbox Dashboard can be.

matchmaking.jpg

Beta shot but it gives you the idea

From Halo 2, I would love to see the return of Midship. It is by far my favorite multiplayer map from the Halo series. It works so perfectly for 8 players and just about every gametype works on it. Doesn't matter if you want to play Free For All, Oddball, Slayer, CTF or whatever. It just works and does so without a hitch. The map allows for unique jumps and ledges that add to its depth and really rewards creative players who excel in map movement.

Midship.jpg

So GAF, what elements of previous Halo games do you want to see in Halo 4?

The Active Roster is a must. The worst thing about it is that once you're used to it's kind of hard to get into another game's online component simply because of the absence of this highly efficient and comfortable feature!

Also, hitscan and Reach's netcode (or an even better one) should return.

And finally, as most Halo fans, I would love to see the BR again.

Here is what I want to see return from each of the Halo games.

Halo: Combat Evolved
large open levels
mysterious and alien atmosphere

Halo 2
hitscan weapons, yes this is in Reach too but it was in Halo 2 first
Relic, Turf, Terminal, and Lockout(some of my favorite maps in the series)
character movement speed

Halo 3
Guardian and the Pit
Equipment(I'm sure it will be included in some form so I'd rather it be this way than AA loadouts from Reach)
The Chopper
Forge
Theater mode w/ 4 player support

Halo 3: ODST
Hub world in singleplayer
intense Firefight, Reach's FF is a shooting gallery

Halo: Reach
Grenade Launcher
Concussion Rifle
Assassinations
Active Roster
Challenges

Emitan

The fantastic AI and combat scenario design. When playing the game with most skulls on (pretty much all the difficulty ones sans the HUD disabling one), Legendary, and in 4 player co-op the games are fantastic because every time we fail an encounter we've learned something, but the encounter can still play it totally different. That's my favorite part of Halo and I hope 383 can deliver.

Everything else besides the music isn't as important as that.

Orayn

large open levels

Halo 2
hitscan weapons, yes this is in Reach too but it was in Halo 2 first
character movement speed

Halo 3
Guardian and the Pit
Equipment(I'm sure it will be included in some form so I'd rather it be this way than AA loadouts from Reach)
The Chopper
Forge

Grenade Launcher
Concussion Rifle
Assassinations
Active Roster
Challenges

I would like all of this and the non-Halo inclusion of a scan visor.

The battle rifle can screw itself in hell.

Woorloog

Banned

large open levels

Halo 2
hitscan weapons, yes this is in Reach too but it was in Halo 2 first Not so sure about this, good netcode and non-hitscan weapons work just fine and require far more skill. Might slow down speed but this can be compensated
character movement speed

Halo 3
Guardian and the Pit Please no. At very least needs graphical overhaul (ugliest map i know) and tweaked weapon layout, that map was a power weapon fest.
Equipment(I'm sure it will be included in some form so I'd rather it be this way than AA loadouts from Reach) Equipment>AAs
The Chopper
Forge

Grenade Launcher
Concussion Rifle I'd rather have Halo 3 Brute Shot, way cooler.
Assassinations
Active Roster
Challenges

Excellent list really, notes underlined.

EDIT while i don't like utility weapons like BR, i sure as hell take BR over DMR anyday.

Valhelm

contribute something
While this thread seems to be focused on multiplayer, a sort of hub world like the one found in ODST could be incredible. Perhaps each mission would take place on a different area of the Forerunner world, accessible by some kind of teleporter? This would allow for a massive overworld with a ton of possible exploration, and some aesthetic diversity. If all of the levels didn't need to be in the same place, perhaps one could be in a jungle, while another is near one of the poles?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I actually want the Mauler from Halo 3 back.

129300-10.jpg

I thought MLG implemented it perfectly. When a player only has one it becomes a shoot and melee to kill gun. It only killed with one shot when completely point blank. Its range was incredibly low so it was CQC or bust. The maps only allowed for it to be used in specific scenarios and was always outclassed by the BR outside of those scenarios. The lack of radar in MLG made it difficult to people to camp on the maps that had them.

Emitan

If I had to pick something in multiplayer, it would be the spike grenades from 3. That feeling of sticking one on a wall at head level around a corner and then hearing the explosion and getting a kill without even looking? Awesome.

-no armor abilities
-fast movement
-high jump height
-grenades that bounce well and only strip shields
-precision weapon starts
-shield/health system of halo 2/3
-pro-pipe
-fuck forge world

I actually want the Mauler from Halo 3 back.

129300-10.jpg

I thought MLG implemented it perfectly. When a player only has one it becomes a shoot and melee to kill gun. It only killed with one shot when completely point blank. Its range was incredibly low so it was CQC or bust. The maps only allowed for it to be used in specific scenarios and was always outclassed by the BR outside of those scenarios. The lack of radar in MLG made it difficult to people to camp on the maps that had them.
I loved the mauler. so much more fun than the shotgun

Fracas

#fuckonami
Hitscan weapons
Theater that supports more than one person
The BR, grenade launcher, concussion rifle, mauler, spike grenades
Equipment, in lieu of armor abilities
Halo 2 movement
Active roster
Regenerating health
Brute Chopper
The Pit, Last Resort (My 2 favorite Halo 3 maps)
Challenges

Edit: forgot to add the forge world. A heavily modified version, though; ability to change lighting and weather would give much more variety

LQX

- No more having to clear an area before advancing.
- More Guns and guns that are actually different.
- Properly proportion chief and aliens.

Emitan

Hitscan weapons
Theater that supports more than one person
The BR, grenade launcher, concussion rifle, mauler, spike grenades
Equipment, in lieu of armor abilities
Halo 2 movement
Active roster
Regenerating health
Brute Chopper
The Pit, Last Resort (My 2 favorite Halo 3 maps)
Challenges
Stop ruining my Halo.

Booshka

While this thread seems to be focused on multiplayer, a sort of hub world like the one found in ODST could be incredible. Perhaps each mission would take place on a different area of the Forerunner world, accessible by some kind of teleporter? This would allow for a massive overworld with a ton of possible exploration, and some aesthetic diversity. If all of the levels didn't need to be in the same place, perhaps one could be in a jungle, while another is near one of the poles?

Halo games have always had diverse levels, Jungle, Desert, Arctic, etc. Ironically the one with the Hub world had the least diverse climes of them all.

It's Space, and a Ring World, you don't need teleporters to play diverse levels.

Coxswain

There are only two things that I really need out of it, and I hope that they're a given:

1) No accuracy penalty while moving, jumping, etc. (ie: No sights, other than actual zooming scopes)
2) All multiplayer unlocks must be purely cosmetic.

As long as those two things continue to be maintained, they can do whatever the fuck they want with the rest of the game.

Want
- large, open, colorful, mysterious world thats as enjoyable to explore as it is to fight in i.e. Halo CE
- oustanding atmosphere, that tells the story in its own way without dialog i.e. Halo CE and ODST to some extent
- great music that tells the story in its own way " " " "
- bloom - hate it all you want, I wouldnt have touched Reach's MP if it played like Halo CE-3
- sprinting, unlimited or limited your choice
- huge departure from the Halo norms, there is a lot of story to created and the franchise has a very rich extended universe

don't want
- any previous enemy types (halo 2-reach)
- any previous vehicles (halo 2-reach)
- sword lunge, or melee lunge
- a boring hub world where everything looks the same (ODST). This contradicts myself somewhat, so I'll explain. I hate how lifeless the hub world felt, and how every building and path was just more of the same. The burning New Mombasa skyline against the raining dark sky with the moody music from marty was great. The actual map layout never lived up to that.

Sean

Banned
I'm hoping for a complete revamp rather than some "Halo: Greatest Hits" type mashup.

I don't like the idea of a brand new developer taking over the reigns of a franchise and then simply re-creating what the past developer did feature-for-feature.

I guess this would be a carry over from Combat Evolved. A story that is relatively comprehensible and that doesn't require a degree in Halo lore and extended fiction to enjoy.

I guess this would be a carry over from Combat Evolved. A story that is relatively comprehensible and that doesn't require a degree in Halo lore and extended fiction to enjoy.

With the possible exception of Reach, none of that can be applied to any story within any of the Halo games.

Frankie will suffer horrible consequences if he fails to makes sure that you can still swap weapons your AI buddies. The reason I play the later Halo single player campaigns over and over and over has to be this feature alone.

Giving your shotgun riding marine a rocket launcher or Plasma rocket thingy and watching him/her turn your Warthog into a beastly covie mauling juggernaut = never gets old. When I pick up an uber weapon, I always do it for my AI tag along gang.

Sibylus

Banned
Things I'd like to see:

- Sprawling backtrack levels, that span day and night [Halo CE]

- Multiple paths to objectives & variable objectives spawning [Halo CE / Reach]

- Jetpacks [Reach]
At least in SP, it impacts the level design wonderfully.

- Space combat [Reach]

- Assassinations [Reach]

- 4 player Coop

- Needle Rifle [Reach]
This was a brilliant replacement for the comparatively lackluster Carbine of Halos 2 and 3.

- Flamethrower [Halo 3]
Added a nice element to Flood encounters, fire and the undead make good bedfellows.

- Armor abilities [Reach]
Again, at least in SP.

- Rolling Bubble Shield [Halo 3-Prerelease]
I was less than thrilled with the final implementation, which removed all meaningful interaction this piece of equipment had with terrain and positioning. The Drop Shield was no better in this regard, and I'd really prefer an invincible shield that rolls in 4.

- More quirky multiplayer maps [Halo CE]
Rat Race, Chiron TL-34, Boarding Action, Longest, Damnation, these are maps that really play with the standard Halo tropes in some weird and neat ways. We could stand to see more.​

Things I could do without:

- Armor Lock [Reach]
Unless they break it and remake it, like enabling some counters (ie plasma pistol charge overloading it, as well as any fatal damage taken [grenades, vehicles, etc]).

- Equipment [Halo 3]
I was never much a fan of the loose implementation, it was as if they were merely grafted onto the Halo 3 framework as a minor addition. Much preferred Armor Abilities.​

TUROK

-The particle system from Halo Anniversary. Makes firefights look chaotically beautiful.

-A rifle that sounds as badass as the one from the Halo 2 E3 2003 video. I'm sorry Bungie, but your weapon sounds were pretty lame for the most part. Whoever did the sound design for Halo Anniversary did it worlds better. The guns felt and sounded powerful instead of sounding and feeling like a popcorn popper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOyeyV0mowM

Skip over to the 2:30 mark.

Top Bottom