• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Announced (MS Conf, 2012, Start Of New Trilogy)

No shit they are assault rifles, one is called assault rifle...
Well, that fact seems to have eluded you.

What you want has no place in Halo or Gears. If you want that kind of garbage go play COD.
Cry moar. Like more options hurt in single player. Plus, the mulcher in Gears is already deliciously close and it didn't hurt gameplay at all. Same thing with half the clip size and normal weight is what I want.

And the mounted weapons work exactly that way (just like a 240B/M60).
Duh. What I want is a portable version. And I'm talking about look and feel as well as function. The Halo 1 AR is actually pretty close to what I want function-wise.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
smh

Thats what turret sections are for. If you want it to be handheld AND have a lot of ammo, then you're just breaking the game. What's the point? It's such a cheap thrill, and has been popularized by a series that bases everything on cheap thrills.

The few turret/heavy weapon sections are enough for short bursts of shooting gallery action, but if you let them become too prevalent you break the sandbox.

Yup.

Woorloog

Banned
Duh. What I want is a portable version. And I'm talking about look and feel as well as function. The Halo 1 AR is actually pretty close to what I want function-wise.
Fridge Brilliance:
Ironically MA5B may be the reason Halo doesn't have LMGs. Why do you need a LMG if your assault rifle doubles as suppression weapon?
I'd assume UNSC has 60 round magazines for MA5C variants and other assault rifles as well.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
You're one of the guys who thinks that gnasher rolling and wallbouncing is good gameplay IIRC, so I won't even bother.
smh

You mean a guy that understands what makes the mechanics of a game stand out from other games and thus endear itself to its fans?

Yeah, that's me, but by all means, keep fighting the good fight. ;)

Fridge Brilliance:
Ironically MA5B may be the reason Halo doesn't have LMGs. Why do you need a LMG if your assault rifle doubles as suppression weapon?
I'd assume UNSC has 60 round magazines for MA5C variants and other assault rifles as well.

Funny story, the M249 only came into being when the M16 full auto was taken out of service. The M249 replaced it as a squad suppression weapon.

That's the main reason U.S rifles are either single or burst fire. They are meant for "more" precision fire (conservation of ammo too).

So logically the AR is the suppression weapon in Halo, while the BR/DMR is the precision weapon.

As for Gears, well as I said, the lancer is basically the "LMG."

Fridge Brilliance:

Well, the Halo 3 and Reach ARs weren't even close to what I want. Bring back the Halo CE AR with a more powerful sound, and I'd be somewha satisfied (if not fully).

Woorloog

Banned
Well, the Halo 3 and Reach ARs weren't even close to what I want. Bring back the Halo CE AR with a more powerful sound, and I'd be somewha satisfied (if not fully).
Yeah, in-game they are not and for multiplayer we're unlike to have high capacity magazined versions of them. That said, i'd love to have a LMG/high capacity magazines in single player.

Funny story, the M249 only came into being when the M16 full auto was taken out of service. The M249 replaced it as a squad suppression weapon.

That's the main reason U.S rifles are either single or burst fire. They are meant for "more" precision fire (conservation of ammo too).

So logically the AR is the suppression weapon in Halo, while the BR/DMR is the precision weapon.

Indeed. Which is why i assumed there has to be optional high capacity magazines for them in canon, as 32 round magazine is a bit weak for suppression. Unless the whole platoons etc are supposed to be firing at the same general area... Frankly, it is more efficient to have people who have weapons specialized for suppression than everyone doing it. Hence M249...

EDIT, 7.62mm round is a bit heavy for assault rifle.. and isn't it a bit heavy for suppression as well? Heavy round, heavy recoil.

Striker

Yeah, let's add more spray and pray weapons.
fv7yc.jpg

What they definitely need to do is upgrade the plasma rifle, or whatever variant the primary enemies will use. CE's stun was pretty great, and while they were weakened in 2, the ability to dual wield gave the PR a big reason to pick up. Nobody gave a shit about them or spikers in 3 and the plasma repeater had promise but eventually nerfed (so the AR got beefed!) in Reach.

cluto

There are far too many weapons that deal damage in the same way. AR, SMG, Spiker, Plasma Repeater, Plasma Rifle (sans Halo 1), Brute Plasma Rifle. I hope there are less weapons in Halo 4 than in Reach and Halo 3 so that the weapon sandbox feels more diverse. Each weapon should play a different role (making a Forerunner equivalent of the Sniper Rifle, for example, is the exact wrong approach). I'd like to see a weapon list more like this:

Battle Rifle
SMG: short to mid range; accurate, high firerate, small magazine
Magnum: equivalent of a revolver; accurate, low firerate, 7 round clip, 3 shots to kill
Shotgun: it's a shotgun
Sniper Rifle
Rocket Launcher
Grenade Launcher
Plasma Rifle (or Forerunner equivalent): stun effect like in Halo 1; short to mid range; less accurate and lower firerate than SMG, bigger "magazine"; great against shields, weak against flesh
Plasma Pistol (or Forerunner equivalent): stun effect; great against shields, weak against flesh; unchanged other than that
Needler (or Forerunner equivalent): Halo 3 Beta Needler
Sword

Of course there would be 4+ unique Forerunner weapons. There also might be some wiggle room in there for a glock-type pistol or something. And yeah, no dual wielding.

Petrichor

I just want the Halo:CE plasma pistol and assault rifle back :( IS IT TOO MUCH TO ASK.

edit: I remember reading somewhere that covenant weapons and vehicles were based on old forerunner designs as per the covenant religion. So maybe "antique" models of the ghost, plasma rifle etc could make an appearance, alongside new forerunner tech?

Woorloog

Banned
This I can get behind.
Dual wielding was the worst thing to happen to Halo. Glad they cut it for ODST and Reach.
Don't bring it back, ever.
IMO Cutting it was a wrong choice. As it it is, it is bad as it introduced way too many weapons that are worhtless alone, and even when dual-wielded, they were too specialized to be really worth sacrificing 'nades and melee.
But the concept is great.
Just allow people to dual wield any weapon with any other, with certain penalties that are either weapon dependent or global, whichever works better. Of course, people shouldn't be running around with a BR and a Sniper, instead they need to make a split-second decision whether to sacrifce melee, grenades and possibly something else (movement speed, jumping?) to carry and use two weapons for the moment, just temporarily (no reloading off-hand weapon for example). Difficulty to balance, yes, but done right it could be extremly rewarding. Dual-wielding power weapons with other weapons should be out of question still, of course.

This said, i'd rather take a working, finely balanced game without dual-wielding than a broken mess, and i absolutely expect the former rather than the latter. Just wishing dual-wielding could be introduced as something that really adds to the game.

There are far too many weapons that deal damage in the same way. AR, SMG, Spiker, Plasma Repeater, Plasma Rifle (sans Halo 1), Brute Plasma Rifle. I hope there are less weapons in Halo 4 than in Reach and Halo 3 so that the weapon sandbox feels more diverse. Each weapon should play a different role (making a Forerunner equivalent of the Sniper Rifle, for example, is the exact wrong approach).
Yup, too many "same" weapons.

Faction-versions of weapons are not really needed yes, but if they're identical to their base counterparts (eg Sniper for Forerunner sniper, Covie Plasma Rifle for Human Plasma rifle...), ie just different "skins", they're fine as i'm concerned. Very good even for asymmetrical gametypes, Invasion or similar if such exists, or for geometrically symmetrical/thematically asymmetrical maps. And of course they should be treated as same weapon as their base counterparts, ie no carrying both the Sniper and Forerunner sniper, including sharing ammo if applicable (doesn't have to make sense in MP as long as people understand how the system works).

As for your weapon list, some tweaks and notes (underlined), just IMO of course.

Battle Rifle
SMG: short to mid range; accurate, high firerate, small magazine What about tweaked ODST SMG (M7S)? Would probably need smaller magazine. Should the scope be disabled? Alternatively this could be some MA5 series variant (MA5K from Ghosts of Onyx?) and called AR (just like Halo CE AR was called AR while acting like a SMG...)
Magnum: equivalent of a revolver; accurate, low firerate, 7 round clip, 3 shots to kill So, mid-range single shot weapon, with high power?
Shotgun: it's a shotgun As i note later, there's reduntancyt the Sword. Could the Shotty be tweaked to be close range area of effect weapon somehow?
Sniper Rifle
Rocket Launcher
Grenade Launcher Absolutely!
Plasma Rifle (or Forerunner equivalent): stun effect like in Halo 1; short to mid range; less accurate and lower firerate than SMG, bigger "magazine"; great against shields, weak against flesh
Plasma Pistol (or Forerunner equivalent): stun effect; great against shields, weak against flesh; unchanged other than that IMO Stun should be unique to Plasma Rifle, let the Plasma Pistol have EMP.
Needler (or Forerunner equivalent): Halo 3 Beta Needler How did this work compared to retail Needler?
Sword Reduntant with Shotgun, though very cool. What makes them different?

EDIT I'd add some form of Focus Rifle/Sentinel Beam. Though maybe this could be one of those "unique Forerunner weapons"?

cluto

As for your weapon list, some tweaks and notes (underlined), just IMO of course.

SMG: short to mid range; accurate, high firerate, small magazine What about tweaked ODST SMG (M7S)? Would probably need smaller magazine. Should the scope be disabled? Alternatively this could be some MA5 series variant (MA5K from Ghosts of Onyx?) and called AR (just like Halo CE AR was called AR while acting like a SMG...)
I just want a Halo version of an MP5. Something that doesn't do a ton of damage, but is accurate at mid range and has a ~30 round magazine. No scope, but silenced would be cool. It would be great for cleaning up unshielded enemies.

Magnum: equivalent of a revolver; accurate, low firerate, 7 round clip, 3 shots to kill So, mid-range single shot weapon, with high power?
Basically, yeah. I'm thinking scopeless, so you can use it at long range (or short range) if you're accurate, but is most useful at mid range. Alternatively, this could be some kind of Forerunner needle weapon that shoot needles at a high velocity and supercombines after three shots are stuck in an enemy, but you would have to charge each shot and the needles don't home. You'd be able to get four shots off from a BR much faster than three shots from this weapon.

Plasma Pistol (or Forerunner equivalent): stun effect; great against shields, weak against flesh; unchanged other than that IMO Stun should be unique to Plasma Rifle, let the Plasma Pistol have EMP.
I can totally agree with you on this.

Needler (or Forerunner equivalent): Halo 3 Beta Needler How did this work compared to retail Needler?
It, like the Carbine and Spiker, were way more powerful in the Beta.

Shotgun: it's a shotgun As i note later, there's reduntancyt the Sword. Could the Shotty be tweaked to be close range area of effect weapon somehow
Sword Reduntant with Shotgun, though very cool. What makes them different?
I never realized this, but you're right, the two do play very similar roles. There has to be a pump action shotgun, though -- that takes priority over the Sword. Assuming there's no Covenant weapons in Halo 4, though, that leaves the role of a melee-focused weapon pretty open-ended.

EDIT I'd add some form of Focus Rifle/Sentinel Beam. Though maybe this could be one of those "unique Forerunner weapons"?
Yeah, I've never found weapons like these to be fun to use, though. I don't exactly know why, but they don't feel satisfying to use.

Striker

+ return Plasma Launcher
- remove Brute Hammer
- remove Spartan Laser

I wouldn't expect the Hammer to return anyways, but it's one forgettable weapon.

Another weapon from the Brute family, the Brute Shot, is one I really liked in 2 and while it wasn't as effective at flipping Warthogs in 3, it still served a purpose. Curious where that weapon will go, or be forgotten.

blamite

+ return Plasma Launcher
- remove Brute Hammer
- remove Spartan Laser

I wouldn't expect the Hammer to return anyways, but it's one forgettable weapon.

Another weapon from the Brute family, the Brute Shot, is one I really liked in 2 and while it wasn't as effective at flipping Warthogs in 3, it still served a purpose. Curious where that weapon will go, or be forgotten.
I'd be reeeeally surprised if the Hammer didn't return, even if it doesn't show up in campaign it'll have to be in MP for the Grifball people. Or if not the gravity hammer something very similar. Like it or not that's a community 343 is going to want to support.

zap

I'd be reeeeally surprised if the Hammer didn't return, even if it doesn't show up in campaign it'll have to be in MP for the Grifball people. Or if not the gravity hammer something very similar. Like it or not that's a community 343 is going to want to support.

Grifball's popularity demands Hammer + Sword in multiplayer at the least.

Retro

I'd like to see a weapon list more like this:

I'm of the opinion that the sandbox should have two levels of weaponry; Basic and Advanced. For example, the shotgun is the "Basic" Close Quarters Weapon (it shoots, damage increases based on number of pellets that hit), while the Energy sword is the "Advanced", having a special feature or function that distinguishes it (in this case, the Melee attack becomes a short, forward-only Leap.)

I also feel that instead of mechanics like bloom, there should just be something that 'physically' happens when the player uses a weapon. For example, the SMG 'rides' or 'walks' upwards when fired continuously; there's no change in accuracy going on, but the weapon itself is working to throw the player's aim off. These effects are designed to teach optimal firing/cadence through gameplay, not UI elements. This means that a skilled player can negate the effects by learning how to control their weapon.

Here's my first take at a Halo 4 setup, excluding any Forerunner weapons and tossing in the usual covenant weapons. Click to view full-size, obviously.

Probably need to change a ton of that, and I'd like to have more special features triggered by a "Use Special" button (like the Sniper Rifle's Waypoint). Maybe tomorrow based on how much HaloGAF hates it. Ugh, that propipe setup is ass in hindsight, ignore it.

I wonder, would Halo work in positive ways which features such as alternate fire modes? I would love to set the BR from burst fire to single shot, or allow the AR to have a burst semi auto mode. Of course, it may sound great on paper but it depends on how it would play out. Still, it would add some depth, complexity and extra accuracy to the sandbox without cluttering it with too many weapons.

I'm of the opinion that the sandbox should have two levels of weaponry; Basic and Advanced. For example, the shotgun is the "Basic" Close Quarters Weapon (it shoots, damage increases based on number of pellets that hit), while the Energy sword is the "Advanced", having a special feature or function that distinguishes it (in this case, the Melee attack becomes a short, forward-only Leap.)

I also feel that instead of mechanics like bloom, there should just be something that 'physically' happens when the player uses a weapon. For example, the SMG 'rides' or 'walks' upwards when fired continuously; there's no change in accuracy going on, but the weapon itself is working to throw the player's aim off. These effects are designed to teach optimal firing/cadence through gameplay, not UI elements. This means that a skilled player can negate the effects by learning how to control their weapon.

Here's my first take at a Halo 4 setup, excluding any Forerunner weapons and tossing in the usual covenant weapons. Click to view full-size, obviously.

Probably need to change a ton of that, and I'd like to have more special features triggered by a "Use Special" button (like the Sniper Rifle's Waypoint). Maybe tomorrow based on how much HaloGAF hates it.

Well, your list includes the BR, Silenced SMG, Sword and Grenade Launcher, so at first glance I like it.

That said, Im hoping Halo 4 introduces more new weapons and has less returning weapons.

Retro

I've suggested alt fire modes before, and I think it would be a more suitable way to introduce AA-like elements, but tied to weapon choices and kept much smaller in scope. Switching the BR from 3-shot to a more accurate DMR-like single shot with less recoil was one idea. Tying holograms to a specific "covert" weapon was another.

orznge

Banned
This is Halo, there will be automatic weapons.

Some other things there will be:
  • claustrophobic FOV
  • framerate problems
  • kill-times long enough that a single player's power is neutered
  • stock maps designed poorly for anything above entry-level play
  • immense player inertia, enough that any kind of strafing game is ineffective
Well, if 343 sticks to the Halo formula that's been used up until now, that is.

Retro

Don't mind me, I'm just consolidating all of my Halo 4 posts from various threads into one mega-post of Very Bad Ideas and updating my little weapon list from yesterday to be easier to read / less terrible (but still probably pretty bad). Enjoy.

Game Structure
One of my favorite parts of ODST was the atmosphere, with most major gameplay elements being utilized to give the player a sense of being a solitary soldier in a huge, abandoned city filled with alien invaders. I can't be the only one to get major Metroid Prime vibes from the Concept Art teaser from Halo Fest, and it's worth noting that Kynan Pearson (lead designer on Metroid Prime 1 & 2) and Jason Behr (lead level design on Metroid Prime) are now at 343. The Prime games were fantastic in terms of exploration and atmosphere, especially in the sense of being alone on a hostile planet.

IHppl.jpg

Part of me is hoping for a game structure similar to ODST: Master Chief is all alone on a mysterious forerunner world in the unknown reaches of space, surrounded by hostiles. All of the stages branch off from a single hub you have to carefully pick your way through because there's Very Bad Forerunner Things out there waiting to rip you to shreds.

This also allows for non-linear progression through the game; in the stage "Halo" from CE, players are able to pick which group of Marines they wish to rescue. This is roughly the same thing, expanded; the player might have several stages they can complete in any order. For example, there might be a Forerunner Armory, a version of the Silent Cartographer and a chunk of the Forward Unto Dawn. Each offers a useful reward;
- The Armory grants access to Forerunner weaponry.
- The Cartographer reveals parts of the Hub World.
- The Dawn has vehicles aboard which allow you to traverse the hub easier.​

I am not suggesting a Metroid-like progression (get Item X to access area A) through the game, simply the atmosphere and sense of an interconnected world that the Prime games pulled off extremely well. I am also not suggesting that Halo 4 feature lots of backtracking; you cross the same large area multiple times, unlocking access to new sections as you go. You only have to return to areas previously explored if they're on the way to the next level or if you're looking for unlockables... which brings me to my next point;

Z2i0i.jpg
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unlockables:
Scattered through the hub world are chunks of the Forward Unto Dawn (offering ammo replenishment for your UNSC weapons) and all sorts of goodies to uncover if you just open your eyes and look for them. This includes all armor permutations for the multiplayer aspect ("Create-a-Spartan"), which are no longer unlocked via Credits (which rewards grinding and raw time investment rather than skill anyways).

This rewards and encourages exploration of the hub, makes perfect sense (you're finding stuff that survived the crash rather than buying armor with an arbitrary currency) and diminishes the artificial inflation of playtime. Halo 4 should be fun enough that it doesn't need a carrot-and-stick to keep people motivated, and doesn't require the COD skinner box bullshit to keep people hooked.

Skulls would be hidden within the levels themselves, not the hub; that allows players to put the search-mode skills on pause and enjoy the action sequences, but still have one thing to hunt for (which is the current model).

Enemies:
I think we all can agree that the Covenant will be both too broken and too far removed to represent a threat in Halo 4, and the inclusion of the Flood on such a distant Forerunner world seems unlikely. And to be honest, though they are both fantastic enemies and key to the Halo mythology, they're both a little tired at this point.

I'm envisioning Halo 4 as featuring lots of Forerunner enemies; Sentinels, Enforcers and tons we haven't seen before (for example, this "Strato-Sentinel" cut from Halo 3:

vpSws.jpg

The idea of stepping into the shoes of Master Chief, alone on a planet filled with crap like THAT THING hunting me as I make my way across a vast and impossibly ancient landscape gives me goosebumps.

The Forerunner planet could also be home to a variety of non-intelligent indigenous creatures, similar to the Gúta in Reach. In fact, one of my disappointments with Reach was that we didn't really see much alien wildlife beyond those and the Moa. These wouldn't be enemies in the traditional sense, but they could be hostile and, if used sparingly, really make for some interesting encounters.

04XZP.jpg

Finally, there are a few hints that suggest other enemies that might appear; The terminals in Anniversary imply that the Didact and something called "Prometheans" are possibly alive and kicking, so in theory we could be fighting Forerunner robots AND forerunners who have somehow managed to survive all these years too.

Weaponry:
In my opinion, the weapon sandbox in Halo has gotten a bit too large and unfocused. I feel each weapon should have a niche, with very little overlap with other weapons.

First off, Bloom is removed. Instead, each weapon has a physical amount of recoil that impairs sloppy or improper firing. Halo 2's SMG 'Ride up' is the perfect example; instead of having an arbitrary mechanic like bloom, the gun simply became more unstable (and thus inaccurate) the longer you fired. Sniper Rifles would sway wildly from the kickback (reduced by crouching, of course). ARs spray their bullets everywhere because the player's screen is jerking about the longer the trigger is held. The goal is to have weapons react in a way that players can 'feel'. In the revised chart below, these details are shown in Yellow.

Second, Covenant weapons will not appear in the campaign but will be retained for the sake of multiplayer. There will be substantial trimming here as well, so each Covey weapon has a niche as well.

0j7Zk.jpg

The setting also demands lots of new Forerunner weaponry. I like to think of this as the natural evolution of Halo's current Trinity; Melee / Gun / Grenade. On top of that layer, there is now Human / Covenant / Forerunner technology. The above example is from Halo: Legends, as is the only Forerunner weapon we've really seen apart from Sentinel Beams.

Default Weapon: The Silenced SMG
Can you tell I'm a fan of ODST? I feel that the Assault Rifle, though a Halo staple, makes for a piss-poor starting weapon (especially in multiplayer) and is probably underpowered because it is meant to be so common. I am also not a fan of the DMR as a starting weapon as it has too much versatility and ranged capability; why switch to anything else?

100z2.png

The Silenced SMG makes perfect sense as the Halo 4 "Default" weapon; Master Chief would want to be as quiet as possible to avoid drawing attention to himself on the Forerunner world, and the huge ammo capacity means less chance of running out. From a gameplay perspective, it has a scope (2x, no where near as powerful as the DMR's 3x), high rate of fire, and the ideal range to compliment the other traditional "staring weapon" (the pistol), falling into the close-to-medium range. It would not be Headshot capable, but it would cause a great deal more damage when zoomed in. Like in Halo 2 and ODST, counter-aiming the recoil can lead to true mastery with the weapon.

The Silenced SMG also has a unique feature in that when using the scope, ammo and weapon pickups are illuminated. Enemies also appear slightly illuminated, but only if the surrounding environment is dark.

The goal is to make the default weapon of Halo 4 powerful enough that you can function well with it, but don't keep it at all times, and rewards skillful use.

Activated Abilities:
Finally, Armor abilities are gone, but some of their functions (as well as bits of Halo 3's Equipment) are rolled into Halo 4 in a new way; weapons can have special features or activated abilities (such as the HUD I just mentioned on the S-SMG). A weapon ability can only be used when that weapon is in-hand, and not all weapons have them. These are shown in Turquoise in the revised Chart below.

These features are all automatically rolled into weapon function and rarely (if ever) require a special input. In cases where they do, Up on the D-pad is used.

I wanted to include some degree of AA-like function because I honestly like the variety they bring to the game, just not in the way they were implemented in Reach. It also touches on my comment earlier about certain Halo weapons starting to feel redundant or pointless; AAs can be something extra to differentiate them from other weapons that are too similar in form or make a cruddy weapon suddenly have a more desirable function. Covenant weapons, for example, really need something to make them distinctive again. I also like the concept of having a Secondary Fire mechanic but don't think the standard implementation would work for Halo.

The important part is that the abilities are now paired exclusively with weapons, limiting the potential for abuse. No more Active Camo + Sniper Rifle bullshit. Here's a revised version of the chart I posted last night. Click to enlarge.

Additional examples, possibly on Forerunner weaponry;

Overshield-on-Demand
A weapon could generate a small "Overshield Pulse" when activated; your shields temporarily gain a small amount of Overshield for a few seconds when activated. This provides a sort of metagame; knowing when to pop your extra shield boost while bearing down on an enemy would require a great deal of skill to judge. Too soon and they just chew the extra shield up, too late and they chew you up. This would be an interesting dynamic without the cheapness of Armor Lock.

Stealth Generator
Would provide a very short duration Active Camo effect. This effect would be married to a weapon that can't be abused quite as much as the Shotgun or Sniper Rifle could in Reach. Something like a Forerunner pistol with a small clip to reign in the abuse.

Reactive Hologram
One weapon could utilize the Hologram effect from Reach, as it was great at faking enemies out. Additionally, if an enemy actually shoots the "reactive" hologram, it will create an on-screen 'ghost' of an enemy, visible even through walls, that shows where the shooter is at. I'm seeing this on the Forerunner version of the Assault / Plasma Rifle, something they'd use to set traps.

Flood-Absorption Module
The Forerunners in Halo 4 will be very old and likely have spent a lot of time pondering their enemy, the Flood. Perhaps they will have adapted part of the Flood's unique biology to produce a weapon that has organic elements that can be used to heal the user. To prevent abuse, the heal effect would have a very long cooldown or would consume a significant chunk of health. I can see the weapon having flamethrower-like properties; short range but not quite melee-range like the Shotty/sword.​

Thruster Dash:
Finally, the Armor Ability button is replaced by a thruster-based "Dash", as seen in the Halo 4 Teaser. This is essentially Sprint made a default ability, but with quite a few options on functionality.

Dash
- Sprint would become a default ability, accessible at all times via one of the bumpers.
- Uses the suit's thrusters to compliment Master Chief's naturally high speed.
- Has a similar 'energy gauge' as Reach, and can be turned on and off as desired.
- Instead of wheezing, Halo 4's Dash would simply emit a mechanical hiss; still an audible warning, but not as obnoxious.

Slide (Example).
Press Crouch while dashing.
- When sliding, your hitbox becomes smaller and you move slightly faster, but decelerate very quickly.
- Think of it as a short, forward-only evade.
- Immediately uses all remaining dash 'energy'.

Long Jump
Press Jump while dashing
- Roughly the same as a jump-from-sprint in Reach.

Thruster Jump
Tap Jump during a long jump.
- A "double jump" that doesn't increase vertical height much, but greatly extends horizontal distance covered.
- Would accelerate forward movement as well, in the direction the player is aiming.
- With some skill, could be used to change direction rapidly in mid-air, like long jumping along a wall and then thrusting into a gap.
- Since it can only be used during a long jump, it can't be used to 'hover' like a jet pack.

Shoulder Ram
Tap Melee while dashing.
- Uses a boost from the thruster to quickly accelerate forward.
- Causes half of regular melee damage, but it knocks things away from you and forces their view to one side slightly.
- Prevents Sprint-into-melee cheapness, but can really disorient someone or push them off a ledge.
- A small amount of shield damage is could be caused when ramming into an enemy.

Yes, I have too much time on my hands. Back to the Guild Wars 2 thread with me.

Conor 419

Banned
Ass Creed Tri and Halo 4 are the two big titles left in the year that we've seen literally nothing of, I wonder which we will see first, are we still on track for a reveal on the 29th? Or did that fade into dust and echoes?

Also, is anyone expecting a beta? We're fast approaching April, which is when Gears 3 got its own one. I'd imagine Halo 4 would have one considering how much innovation has supposedly gone into the multiplayer, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Lastly, I think this a fan concept for the Halo 4 main menu music (though I'm not entirely sure where it's come from, considering the quality). It's absolutely beautiful and it's gained a lot of popularity. I'm secretly hoping it's actually from Halo 4.

http://www.youtube.com/v/apu13ytTV3s&loop=1

Conor 419

Banned
I dream that Halo will take the open world direction, Halo and open world structure just seem perfect for each other.

My vision was a bit similar

The new Warthog (as advertised in the Forza 4 trailer) was given distinctive traits that would make it suitable for exploration and survival. Such as the built in radio, the tow cable and the attachable gas tanks.

So, my imagination built upon this idea and I decided that I'd really love there to be a central base in this open world that can be returned to for supplies, whilst also being upgraded with anything that you find whilst exploring. The upgrades would slowly bring the 'base' back to full functionality over the course of the game. A more fully upgraded base would provide you better equipment and vehicles to help you explore the structure more easily. It'd also better protect you from any hostiles (which vary in aggressiveness depending on the dynamic weather and night/day cycles). I can just imagine Halo 4 opening with the Chief being separated from the Forward Unto Dawn and then lost on the structure with only a Warthog. The player would then be forced to explore the area, locate the crash landed ship, explore it for supplies and then use the Warthog to tow it back to base.

Missions would be focusing on exploring areas of importance (control room) and 'side missions' would be focused on gathering supplies to help you. Both can be done at the player's leisure, with more and more areas being accessible as the game goes on. I also love the idea of taking my Warthog out to explore, crashing it beyond repair and then being lost somewhere on the structure as night approaches.

As to deliver some of the more classic set pieces, the first half should focus on making UNSC contact, the second on fighting wars n' shit.

It'd be so good.

Retro

Retro, your campaign game structure is a thing of beauty.

<3

I envision the storyline involving Cortana going rampant, tricking the Chief into uploading her into the Forerunner Planet and then turning all of the sentinels and such on him when she attains planet-wide "Crazy Bitch Godhood". The impossibly lonely AI that's been running the planet helps the Chief survive and get the planet under control, but not before the Didact and his army of Prometheans is awoken.

Conor 419

Banned
Oh man, that'd be a brutal twist. Chief being forced to fight Cortana.

I kinda envision her taking a physical form through some kind of high tech Forerunner combat armour. I like your idea also.

<3

I envision the storyline involving Cortana going rampant, tricking the Chief into uploading her into the Forerunner Planet and then turning all of the sentinels and such on him when she attains planet-wide "Crazy Bitch Godhood". The impossibly lonely AI that's been running the planet helps the Chief survive and get the planet under control, but not before the Didact and his army of Prometheans is awoken.

Unicron?

Don't think this is very likely. Would be out of character for how they've handled her rampancy to date. Her feelings for the Chief and her relationship with him is one of the core principles holding her together.

I thought and pondered the way you did except about Halo 3. Building these expectations can be dangerous.

Retro

Oh man, that'd be a brutal twist. Chief being forced to fight Cortana.

I kinda envision her taking a physical form through some kind of high tech Forerunner combat armour. I like your idea also.

Thanks. Since Halo 4 is just the first part of a planned trilogy, there's 3 games where you'd be fighting her / trying to get her back. Plenty of time and space to watch her go insane, unleash hell and eventually stabilize.

Don't think this is very likely. Would be out of character for how they've handled her rampancy to date.

Some of the events in the books suggest that Halsey might take the fall for a lot of the nastier elements of the Spartan Program (abducting children, killing dozens of them, etc.). Being a flash-clone of Halsey, if they prosecute or even execute her for the decisions that lead to humanity's survival, it's going to drive Cortana over the brink. There's Rampancy and then there's Cortana Rampancy (as I recall, she's the most advanced human AI, who knows how deep she'd go?)

I can see Halo 4 ending with Cortana learning about the events back on Earth via the planet's advanced communication systems and either moving the entire planet or using a Forerunner ship and leading an army of Sentinels back to earth for vengeance. Then maybe we can have a properly insane invasion like Halo 2 / ODST in H6 and resolution in H7 (when Cortana stabilizes and joins the fight against the Didact who is bad news overall)

What really wins me over is the contrast it has with Halo 1, 2 and 3. Your very first mission in Halo is to protect Cortana from falling into Covenant hands. Before the books tinkered with the canon, Master Chief and Cortana were the only survivors of the first game. Halo 2 ends with Cortana staying behind and Halo 3 ends with Master Chief rescuing her.

If Halo 4-6 flipped that upside down and had Cortana as a villain you want to save, I think it'd be an amazing story.

Waaghals

Some other things there will be:
  • claustrophobic FOV
Well, if 343 sticks to the Halo formula that's been used up until now, that is.

I take issue with this, both Halo CE and Reach had pretty decent fields of view.
it was 2, 3 and ODST that disappointed in that regard.

I've suggested alt fire modes before, and I think it would be a more suitable way to introduce AA-like elements, but tied to weapon choices and kept much smaller in scope. Switching the BR from 3-shot to a more accurate DMR-like single shot with less recoil was one idea. Tying holograms to a specific "covert" weapon was another.
To this day I'm shocked that no FPS has explored alt fire like Perfect Dark did. It also allows for some seriously wacky and fun secondary modes.

That consolidated battle rifle idea is terrific.

Elginer

Ass Creed Tri and Halo 4 are the two big titles left in the year that we've seen literally nothing of, I wonder which we will see first, are we still on track for a reveal on the 29th? Or did that fade into dust and echoes?

Also, is anyone expecting a beta? We're fast approaching April, which is when Gears 3 got its own one. I'd imagine Halo 4 would have one considering how much innovation has supposedly gone into the multiplayer, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Lastly, I think this a fan concept for the Halo 4 main menu music (though I'm not entirely sure where it's come from, considering the quality). It's absolutely beautiful and it's gained a lot of popularity. I'm secretly hoping it's actually from Halo 4.

That music was awesome, fuck now I want that to be real.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Don't mind me, I'm just consolidating all of my Halo 4 posts from various threads into one mega-post of Very Bad Ideas and updating my little weapon list from yesterday to be easier to read / less terrible (but still probably pretty bad). Enjoy.

You're ideas disgust me.

If I remember correctly, Halo 3 beta did not start up until May so there is still plenty of time to announce something and get it in.

Waaghals

ODST had larger FOV than Halo 3. Not quite as large as Reach i think, but certainly larger than Halo 3.

I believe H3 fov was 60 or so, that's very low - not unheard of - but very low.
Reach was around 75, which I find to be completely acceptable.

(I'm not 100% sure about these numbers though, so don't quote me on this)

Top Bottom