• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Frankly, I still would have liked it if one of the Nintendo discussions were along the lines of "Revisiting the portable to living room interface paradigm", something that would discuss potential ways to cross-over games between the 3DS (which has an wide top screen and a touchable bottom screen) and the Wii U (which has a wide top screen and a touchable bottom screen), or additional means of getting the two platforms to interoperate now that wireless communications is a natural part of our lives.

They play it safe i guess, and there will be such public keynotes/conferences/summit next year ONCE the Wii U is available. A pity for us because that could be very interesting :(

Because most of us are annoyed that after almost 1 year Nintendo hasn't released anything about their upcoming console. It's just a really confusing situation.

Yeah but is that all that different from Wii. I remember the initial reveal, and then nothing again till E3. I think expecting info out of these non-press events is just silly. Remember GDC isn't for the press it's for other developers. E3 is when we'll get info, no sooner, and no latter.

Come to Paris ! Our bread is betta !

I've been to Paris, everyone was mean to me. :( Though the bread is good. If I ever go back to France it will be the South of France and not Paris.

That out of the way, when is one of these damn things going to happen in NYC. East Coast needs some lovin!

Nibel

What's the deal with this Burntpork guy anyway?

I was lurking here some while ago. And he was one of the most noticable users of the forum since he claimed the craziest things one can actually say.
He was actually specialized in mocking Nintendo in every thread while stating that he actually likes Nintendo.

Dude was on another level.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
I've been to Paris, everyone was mean to me. :( Though the bread is good. If I ever go back to France it will be the South of France and not Paris.

That out of the way, when is one of these damn things going to happen in NYC. East Coast needs some lovin!

:(

Come again i'll offer you a croissant !

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I looked into the matter of why Information Technology Junction Limited has opposed the Wii U trademark in Europe, and I now think I understand it a bit clearer than before. UK's Companies House has the following records on this company:

Nature of Business (SIC):
7420 - Architectural, technical consult
7450 - Labour recruitment

Now, this is from when the SIC (Classification of Economic Activities) 2003 system was used, corresponding description in SIC 2007 is for 7420 "Other engineering activities (not including engineering design for industrial process and production" and for 7450 "Temporary employment agency activities". Now, what this had to do with Wii U and Nintendo I've been wondering, but I saw the opposition letter and in it the domain u-do.com is listed as in operation by Information Technology Junction. U Local Limited, which is a separate company, is listed under contact. That company deals with "Other social work activities without accommodation not elsewhere classified", and the offer through that website apparently has to do with getting small independent businesses together to stop large organizations from making unjust amounts of profits. From the records, it does not seem they find any products suggested by Nintendo harmful to their business, but that the trade mark (Wii U) is. These are the grounds on which they (Information Technology Junction) has opposed the trademark:

Article 8(5) CTMR - the use without due cause of the contested mark would take unfair advantage of, or be detrimental to, the distinctive character or repute of the earlier trade mark.

The Article 8(5) CTMR reads, as of The Manual concerning Opposition - Part 5, Article 8(5) CTMR, by The Office of Harmonization for the Internal Market:

According to Article 8(5) CTMR upon opposition by the proprietor of an earlier trade mark, within the meaning of paragraph 2, the trade mark applied for
shall not be registered:

where it is identical with or similar to the earlier trade mark and is to be
registered for goods or services which are not similar to those for which
the earlier trade mark is registered, where in the case of an earlier
Community trade mark the trade mark has a reputation in the
Community and, in the case of an earlier national mark, the trade mark
has a reputation in the Member State concerned and where the use
without due cause of the trade mark applied for would take unfair
advantage of, or be detrimental to, the distinctive character or the
repute of the earlier trade mark.

http://oami.europa.eu/ows/rw/resource/documents/CTM/legalReferences/partc_tm_reputation.pdf

Information Technology Junction Ltd did see registration of national trademark "U" on the 18th of February 2011; it was filed on the 9th of November the preceding year. National trademark means that the filing is related to a mark that has certain reputation in a specific area, in this case the United Kingdom. And reputation is only claimed for United Kingdom. The opposition was made on the 27th of January this year, and opposition letter reached Nintendo on the 30th of January.

For the time being, Nintendo doesn't have to concern itself with this as the opposition letter has been sent for information only, and the office will first examine its admissibility. Nintendo is also not expected to comment on the admissibility of the opposition. If the opposition is found admissible, the Office will set the time limit for submitting observations. If the opposition is not found inadmissible, both parties will receive decisions from the Office, most likely the decision will be in favor to Nintendo.

The General outline of the Opposition proceedings goes as following:

Note: I have simplified the text below. CTM=Community Trade Mark

Filing of the Notice of Opposition
Opposition proceedings start with the receipt of the Notice of Opposition by OHIM. This is submitted by a third party seeking the refusal of a CTM application. CTM applicant is immediately notified of the Notice of Opposition filed and receives a copy of the documents on file.

Admissibility check
OHIM examines whether the Notice of Opposition is admissible.

The "cooling-off" period
If found admissible, both parties receives notice on deadlines for the proceedings. The proceedings start with a period where parties can negotiate an agreement. During this stage the parties are also given the opportunity of terminating the proceedings, should they see fit.

The cooling-off period expires two months from the notification of admissibility. It can be extended for 22 months and can last for a total of 24 months.

The adversarial part of the proceedings
At this stage, the parties are given the opportunity of sending observations and evidence in support of the rejection of the application or of the opposition. The first party to be given this opportunity is the opponent who is allowed two months to complete their file. For this purpose, the opponent may submit any facts, arguments and evidence it deems necessary to support the opposition.

Then the CTM applicant has two months to submit any observations in reply. Finally, the opponent is given the opportunity to comment on the observations submitted by the applicant. Generally speaking, these three stages constitute the process.

Request for proof of use
In its reply to the Notice of Opposition and further material filed by the opponent, the CTM applicant may try to demonstrate that the CTM applied for does not conflict with any of the rights on the basis the opposition was entered.

If no evidence is filed or if the evidence is found insufficient, the opposition is rejected.

End of the proceedings
The adversarial part of the proceedings comes to an end when OHIM informs the parties that no more observations will be allowed. This means that the file is ready for the Opposition Division to render a decision on the opposition.
Source: http://oami.europa.eu/ows/rw/pages/CTM/regProcess/oppositionProceedings.en.do

As I understand, what will happen now is that Nintendo will wait for the Admissibility check, and if the opposition is deemed admissible, there will be an x time period of when the parties are negotiating. Unless they find an agreement it will go on for two months minimum, which could easily put us way past E3. I do however have a feeling Nintendo's attorneys are much more talented than the opposition's, so it shouldn't be that difficult to come to an agreement. This puts anyway a bit more light to this whole debacle.

The United Kingdom is probably with Germany the most important market for Nintendo in Europe, and to be forced to call Wii U something else there is probably not something Nintendo is going to accept. I shall note that I'm not attorney and I'm merely guessing current status and outcome based on public information.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
no problem, a round of croissant for you all :)

btw, you're such a columbo with all your digs concerning the Wii U name story Rösti, /applause

6816763510_f4109c6120_m.jpg

There is a hat trend in California currently ? :D

Kjellson

Ah, yes. Now I remember vaguely.

He also said that Nintendo blew their chance with 3DS after Mario 3D Land got 8/10 from Edge. Or something.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
6816764584_3a79b2f3a1.jpg

"meh, we want wee you !"

6962898215_096c7ded96_m.jpg

"at least, you have mee ow !"

don't mind me, i'm far away

Seriously, the official GDC Flickr could be the source of amazing material for silly photo-stories :p

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
btw, you're such a columbo with all your digs concerning the Wii U story Rösti, /applause[/QUOTE]
Thank you. As I'm going to lose my job later this month, I need something else than that to think about, and browsing government records about Wii U does it for me. And I of course want more info personally, as this radio silence is reaching high levels of silliness.

guek

Banned
That space seems far too small to be the entirety of the nintendo booth but we haven't seen pictures of any other area :-(

Nibel

Rösti;35826183 said:
Thank you. As I'm going to lose my job later this month, I need something else than that to think about, and browsing government records about Wii U does it for me. And I of course want more info personally, as this radio silence is reaching high levels of silliness.

You work for the FBI or something?

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Rösti;35826183 said:

Sorry for your job, hope it will be better for you in this department.

I forgot to add "name" between Wii U and story. You'll find out the truth eventually about that, if you could know its final one, it will be a worldwide buzz :D

And you're right, Nintendo lawyers and money power should resolve a ton of problems. In the worst case scenario, they could maybe add Nintendo before "Wii U" only for the UK.

guek

Banned
Quiz on sceen: According to Mr. Miyamoto, who needsw to know hardware specs and limitations?

A) Director, B) Programmer C) Entire Staff D) Mario

The answer is Neogaf, Mr. Miyamoto

answer was C apparently

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
And finally, the beautyyyyyyyyyy:

6816794832_9e10971271_m.jpg
It looks like he's playing Red Alarm, at least if that image/screen to his left is connected to the console. Kinda neat Virtual Boy is there anyway, considering Nintendo's continued efforts to make people forget about it.

HylianTom

Banned
Rösti;35826553 said:
It looks like he's playing Red Alarm, at least if that image/screen to his left is connected to the console. Kinda neat Virtual Boy is there anyway, considering Nintendo's continued efforts to make people forget about it.

I can feel the headache coming-on already.. hehe..

Sure you would. All those carbs are going to go to your thighs and you know it.

Thunder Monkey thighs joke coming in 3.. 2.. 1..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom