• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2012 Anime Thread 2.22: You Can (Not) Outpost Cajunator

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'm really liking Saya's movie look, though with an expression like that it looks like my hopes for a four-minute Kyou wa Ii Tenki musical number are probably not going to materialize.

Did I ever mention that I watched episodes 9-12 uncensored? DON'T DO IT, GUYS. Just trust me.

cajunator

Banned
I'm really liking Saya's movie look, though with an expression like that it looks like my hopes for a four-minute Kyou wa Ii Tenki musical number are probably not going to materialize.

Did I ever mention that I watched episodes 9-12 uncensored? DON'T DO IT, GUYS. Just trust me.

No songs, NO FUCKING SALE.
Non-Negotiable.

Why? I plan to watch the series uncensored, so I may properly understand Clamp's hatred for humanity.

7Th

The uncensored version of Blood-C isn't so bad.
The only particularly explicit scenes are the death of the second twin and when Saya gets shot in the head.

cajunator

Banned
I saw pics and it didnt seem that bad. It's probably much more horrific in motion. but maybe not. I have a high tolerance for animated gore. Doesn't bother me.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
No songs, NO FUCKING SALE.
Non-Negotiable.

They have $650k from the government to work with, so I demand nothing less than an instrumental version played by the Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra over the end credits.

Why? I plan to watch the series uncensored, so I may properly understand Clamp's hatred for humanity.

Some things are better left not understood.
Do not underestimate the bunnies.

Bakuman 2 - 22
tumblr_m0ksg8HzjK1qcsnnso1_500.gif

Three two go and were back at like season one when they have no manga and are at the wall with trying to get one to be serialized. Pretty nice episode with this perfect crime manga idea, which wasnt named?

Otters 11 main arm transforms, whoa, that should be an anime.

Instro

New art for Blood-C's movie by Kazuchika Kise, the character designer and animation director:

http://sadpanda.us/images/868499-9Q9WCAM.jpg[img]

I really like how she barely looks like a Clamp character now. Definite improvement.[/QUOTE]

This is gonna be awesome.

sonicmj1

Diebuster 5-6 / END

I don't feel like doing a lot of screencaps here, so I'll just try to sum things up.

The last episode deserved a better show. I fucking love what they do with the art and the music and the everything, and the climax of the
DOUBLE INAZUMA KIIIIICK
is super fucking satisfying. The flashbacks and stuff just in episode 6 almost develop the Nono/Lal'C relationship to the point where I actually care about what happens to them.

But I don't like the series. I feel like things just kind of happen. The character arcs for the two main characters simply don't make sense, especially in the last two episodes. Why does
Nono leave without saying anything to anyone? And then come back as some kind of sullen martyr? Why does Lal'C careen between angry, jilted friend and sullen, apathetic supervillain?
And a great deal of what happens doesn't really make sense. The resolution of the
black hole singularity whatever
is some nonsense that just exists to be emotionally manipulative. And the very end is a total cheap shot, considering how little most of that stuff has to do with anything that happened. And considering how much it got to me regardless.

I don't agree with pizzaroll; Gunbuster is the better show. Diebuster's art is busting at the seams with creativity, but it's thematically void of anything, and a lot of the show is supposed to be carried emotionally by a pair of characters that aren't relatable for opposite reasons. Gunbuster is thematically coherent (if a bit simplistic), consistent in its rules, and built on the backs of characters that at the very least are well-rounded and understandable. There's a unity between the elements of Gunbuster, where Diebuster feels a lot more scattershot.

That said, I still think Diebuster is a pretty great piece of work. I'm only disappointed in it because I started watching it in the context of a comparison.

Also, what the fuck at that
random-ass attempted rape by Nikolai
in Episode 5. I guess it isn't totally incomprehensible, but it's really strange that it happens, and how everyone reacts to it.

cajunator

Banned
Bakuman is a fun series. I'd like to pick up season one on disc for myself at some point.
I love those manga-ka/comic/anime making shows like this and Doujin work. I also hear Sketchbook is really HNNNG and very good too.
On the other side of things, there is Cosplay Complex, which is a fun and pretty perverted OVA about exactly what you think it is.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I don't agree with pizzaroll; Gunbuster is the better show. Diebuster's art is busting at the seams with creativity, but it's thematically void of anything, and a lot of the show is supposed to be carried emotionally by a pair of characters that aren't relatable for opposite reasons. Gunbuster is thematically coherent (if a bit simplistic), consistent in its rules, and built on the backs of characters that at the very least are well-rounded and understandable. There's a unity between the elements of Gunbuster, where Diebuster feels a lot more scattershot.
What do all these words mean?

cajunator

Banned
Black Rock Shooter 6

add this shit to the list. oh wow

I sincerely hope that anime continues to gift us with shows like Arjuna and School Days, that we can lovingly share with Juniors for generations to come. Maybe even give us a treat and create the next Code Geass. We should only be so lucky.

Diebuster 5-6 / END

I don't feel like doing a lot of screencaps here, so I'll just try to sum things up.

The last episode deserved a better show. I fucking love what they do with the art and the music and the everything, and the climax of the
DOUBLE INAZUMA KIIIIICK
is super fucking satisfying. The flashbacks and stuff just in episode 6 almost develop the Nono/Lal'C relationship to the point where I actually care about what happens to them.

But I don't like the series. I feel like things just kind of happen. The character arcs for the two main characters simply don't make sense, especially in the last two episodes. Why does
Nono leave without saying anything to anyone? And then come back as some kind of sullen martyr? Why does Lal'C careen between angry, jilted friend and sullen, apathetic supervillain?
And a great deal of what happens doesn't really make sense. The resolution of the
black hole singularity whatever
is some nonsense that just exists to be emotionally manipulative. And the very end is a total cheap shot, considering how little most of that stuff has to do with anything that happened. And considering how much it got to me regardless.

That said, I still think Diebuster is a pretty great piece of work. I'm only disappointed in it because I started watching it in the context of a comparison.

Also, what the fuck at that
random-ass attempted rape by Nikolai
in Episode 5. I guess it isn't totally incomprehensible, but it's really strange that it happens, and how everyone reacts to it.
I'm glad that you saw the light.

wonzo

Banned
I sincerely hope that anime continues to gift us with shows like Arjuna and School Days, that we can lovingly share with Juniors for generations to come. Maybe even give us a treat and create the next Code Geass. We should only be so lucky.
even if they don't, i'm sure that there are plenty of similar shows out there just waiting to be discovered!

well, either that or musashi gundoh finally gets translated

cajunator

Banned
It's possible, but I think by now they would have reared their ugly, beautiful heads with all the people watching different things. It is possible that some really obscure awful abomination slipped through the cracks somehow.

Narag

Getter Robo 3

The Dinosaur Empire's Rainbow Plan was to paint Tokyo in various colors as some sort of elaborate prank. Also evidently Ryoma had a fear of heights? Talk about a poor choice for a flying super robot pilot.

Sailor Moon 1

You know, I wasn't quite sure what to expect getting into this but I had some good laughs. I was wondering how Usagi knew to pose after the initial transformation and was treated to the image below. Yeah, I'm sold.

aQ3Mvl.png

G Gundam 17

This episode had the worst start. Domon's companions all talk about how evil the Devil Gundam was then say fuck it and bail. Ok so it seems it's a return to the Gundam Fight format after the Master Asia interlude but still! Also it goes out of its way to put Schwarz Bruder over. Master Asia's strategy talk was pretty cool too.

So much posturing.
pXhIX.png

Kaiji 2

I wish my life was worthy of a narrator like this. After explanation, that gamble is intense.

Inu x Boku SS 09
I really liked the episode, especially the part before the OP and the second half of the show. I could have done without the montage of making coffee and cleaning, but the game show was awesome.
One little note I really liked was that Ririchiyo's ringtone for Karuta was sweets parade. And, I can never get over how creepy Soushi's ED is.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
One Piece - Arabasta Arc (92-130)

Yeah, that was, without a doubt, one of the best arcs in any shounen I've ever watched. Perfect pacing, awesome characters, great fights, a lot of funny moments... Man, what a ride.

80Q95.jpg

In terms of characters: Vivi really grew on me. Her role in the plot was basically to cry and mourn, but she was still a fun character. Most of the others in this arc were great. The king was awesome, Pell was freaking badass, Crocodile was one menacing son of a bitch, and his subordinates were pretty cool as well. The only weak characters were Chaka and Kohza. They were both useless, basically. The latter actually deserves some kind of medal for being one of the most hyped useless characters in any series, haha.

I laughed a lot during this arc too. Arabasta animals rule, hahaha. Even the ones in the filler episodes. The turtle/seal hybrids, the crab, and Eyelashes were great, and so were Carue and the other ducks. The scenes after Crocodile was defeated were also pretty funny. Bon Clay made me laugh a lot too.

But, man, the fights. Sanji's with Bon Clay was the weakest, but it still had some cool animations. The one with that mole and Mr. 5 versus Chopper and Usopp was surprisingly epic. Zoro's against Mr. 1 was unsurprisingly epic. And Nami getting a decent weapon and means to actually fight was something I was anticipating for a long time, so I was pretty happy to see it happen.

The final confrontation, though. Hahah, oh my God. Those final minutes of Luffy's fight were absolutely ridiculous. Best use of Dvorak eeeeeever. Those moments, combined with the rain afterwards... Episode 126 was something else, man.

And now I can't wait to hear Robin's backstory. I already love her.

Just one more thing: really, Pell? Are you really surprised that people thought you were dead after that? I guess Oda doesn't like killing anyone, haha.

I was kind of hoping that (major spoilers for events further down the line in the series)
Ace would be dead by the end of this arc, so I could erase this spoiler from my mind... But I guess I'll have to endure for a lot longer. Don't tell me when it happens, by the way, haha =P

cajunator

Banned
Inu x Boku SS 09

I really liked the episode, especially the part before the OP and the second half of the show. I could have done without the montage of making coffee and cleaning, but the game show was awesome.
One little note I really liked was that Ririchiyo's ringtone for Karuta was sweets parade. And, I can never get over how creepy Soushi's ED is.

I just started this. Only a few minutes into it but the hnnnng potential is enormous as expected. Cant wait to see more of it.

Ultimadrago

dmUPZ.gif

You were the one who turned me down this path. I must see it RAW, to the end!

Yeah, that was, without a doubt, one of the best arcs in any shounen I've ever watched. Perfect pacing, awesome characters, great fights, a lot of funny moments... Man, what a ride.

Awesome, man. Straight up one of my favorites as well, glad you enjoyed the ride!

Yeah, that was, without a doubt, the best arc in any shounen I've ever watched. Perfect pacing, awesome characters, great fights, a lot of funny moments... Man, what a ride.

Just you wait for some of the later arcs. Arabasta is the first truly epic arc in One Piece, but far from the last.

But, man, the fights. Sanji's with Bon Clay was the weakest, but it still had some cool animations. The one with that mole and Mr. 5 versus Chopper and Usopp was surprisingly epic. Zoro's against Mr. 1 was unsurprisingly epic. And Nami getting a decent weapon and means to actually fight was something I was anticipating for a long time, so I was pretty happy to see it happen.

The Usopp/Chopper fight was really epic. That was the moment that really solidified Usopp as my favorite. I have to say that I really did like Sanji vs Bon Clay, though.

Glad you liked it.

Now as said before, you might want to temper your expectations for the next big arc. That isn't to say you'll hate it. It's just pretty hit or miss. Some people actually like it more than Arabasta.

Of course the big arc after that is on par with Arabasta and arguably better, so just push through the next one even if you aren't a huge fan of it. I doubt you'll flat out hate it though. You'll probably see it as good-great instead of amazing.

Ultimadrago

You poor thing.
Unless of course you WANT to be subjected to that. In which case, you poor masochistic thing.

The corruption was done when I marathoned it those weeks ago. I now feel...nothing.
Some things are better left not understood.
Do not underestimate the bunnies.
>_> Okay, maybe I have a bit of feeling left to spare.

The Usopp/Chopper fight was really epic. That was the moment that really solidified Usopp as my favorite. I have to say that I really did like Sanji vs Bon Clay, though.

Oh man the
Usopp/Chopper one. I still remember holding my nose when dat bat came 'round. One of the better representations of pain done in the series.

Glad you liked it.

Now as said before, you might want to temper your expectations for the next big arc. That isn't to say you'll hate it. It's just pretty hit or miss. Some people actually like it more than Arabasta.

That's because it is better. Probably not as well paced in the anime, but more ambitious and enjoyable overall, and with a more memorable setting and characters.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Congrats, you just witnessed something amazing. Like cosmic said, temper your expectations for the next arc, but it's only weak by One Piece standards, which is still pretty good.

Aww, you got spoilered on
Ace dying
? That sucks, though considering it was one of the most momentous things to occur in a major shounen series in recent years, unsurprising. Keep watching and posting impressions!

Noirulus

New art for Blood-C's movie by Kazuchika Kise, the character designer and animation director:

http://sadpanda.us/images/868499-9Q9WCAM.jpg[img]

I really like how she barely looks like a Clamp character now. Definite improvement.[/QUOTE]

That looks great. Saya looks a bit too mature but the amount of detail put in is awesome.

cajunator

Banned
The corruption was done when I marathoned it those weeks ago. I now feel...nothing.

>_> Okay, maybe I have a bit of feeling left to spare.

Oh man the
Usopp/Chopper one. I still remember holding my nose when dat bat came 'round. One of the better representations of pain done in the series.

Wow. I guess because you have a different avatar now I didn't recognize you. But I remember reading those impressions now.

sonicmj1

But Diebuster is cuter. It has Nono. Surely that counts for something?

It counts for something, but not a lot.

What do all these words mean?

Not surprised that's a little incoherent. Let me try one more time.

Diebuster has really cool art, but the writing is a mess. Lal'C is really important to the plot, but I never understood what her character was. I don't really like the hypergenki archetype that is Nono. The world and command structure of Diebuster's universe jerks in all kinds of directions from episode to episode. Even now, standing at the end of the series, I feel like I rarely understand why things happen and what motivates characters to act the way they do. This is compounded by the lack of much thematic anything. I guess you could consider it a story of Lal'C's maturity, but I don't think anything surrounding that complements it in any way.

I think Gunbuster is a better written show. I know why everybody does the things they do, and characters are clearly sketched out. Moreover, even if many of the characters are cliches, they have multiple aspects to them, such that they seem something like people. And the themes of the show (Noriko's maturation and the role of humanity in the universe) run clearly through every episode. I feel like the direction complements that. I recall you doing a shot-by-shot breakdown of an action scene in GitS, and how each shot didn't just frame the action, but framed the universe of the film. I feel like you could do that consistently with Gunbuster, but you'd get mixed messages with Diebuster.

If Diebuster were just about robots being awesome and people being awesome when they try to be awesome, that'd be one thing, but there's all these politics and feelings and old people doing stuff and being wrong in it, and it detracts from the cool stuff.

cajunator

Banned
It counts for something, but not a lot.

Not surprised that's a little incoherent. Let me try one more time.

Diebuster has really cool art, but the writing is a mess. Lal'C is really important to the plot, but I never understood what her character was. I don't really like the hypergenki archetype that is Nono. The world and command structure of Diebuster's universe jerks in all kinds of directions from episode to episode. Even now, standing at the end of the series, I feel like I rarely understand why things happen and what motivates characters to act the way they do. This is compounded by the lack of much thematic anything. I guess you could consider it a story of Lal'C's maturity, but I don't think anything surrounding that complements it in any way.

I think Gunbuster is a better written show. I know why everybody does the things they do, and characters are clearly sketched out. Moreover, even if many of the characters are cliches, they have multiple aspects to them, such that they seem something like people. And the themes of the show (Noriko's maturation and the role of humanity in the universe) run clearly through every episode. I feel like the direction complements that. I recall you doing a shot-by-shot breakdown of an action scene in GitS, and how each shot didn't just frame the action, but framed the universe of the film. I feel like you could do that consistently with Gunbuster, but you'd get mixed messages with Diebuster.

If Diebuster were just about robots being awesome and people being awesome when they try to be awesome, that'd be one thing, but there's all these politics and feelings and old people doing stuff and being wrong in it, and it detracts from the cool stuff.

I'm always up for some fun sci-fi in space shows. I will have to check these out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom