• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Assignment Thread 126: Morning

Status
Not open for further replies.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Theme: Morning

Submissions are due by Sunday, March 11th, 11:59 PM PST.

Voting begins Monday, March 12th at 12:00 AM PST and ends Tuesday, March 13th at 11:59 PM PST.

1) The theme can be interpreted as you see fit, but keep in mind others will be judging based on whatever criteria they see fit.

2) Only one photo per person, per assignment.
-- Photos must be taken during the assignment period.
-- Only photos to be posted in this thread are to be submissions.
-- You can change your submission by editing your post.
-- To avoid cluttering up the thread, please avoid quoting images.
-- Photos posted in assignment thread should be no larger than 1024 pixels on the long edge. You may include a link to a higher resolution version.

3) One vote for your first choice (3 points) and one vote for your runner-up (1 point), which can be based on any criteria you see fit. You cannot vote for your own submission. Non-participants are also welcome to vote. Criticism/comments encouraged.

4) The "winner" should come up with a new theme/time period. Ties are broken first by the number of first choice votes, then by longest time since last win/thread start, then by longest amount of time participating in assignment threads then by best bed-head.

5) Have fun!

GAF Photography Assignment Threads FAQ

The real challenge here is to avoid the temptation to do a sunrise landscape photo....I have plenty of those and I love doing them, but it's to easy an interpretation of the theme for me.

oh yeah, IN (first one too, for me) :D

mcrae

The real challenge here is to avoid the temptation to do a sunrise landscape photo....I have plenty of those and I love doing them, but it's to easy an interpretation of the theme for me.

heh, this is more like an EXCUSE to wake up that early and take some pictures. but ill probably forget like always oh well

May I recommend Manfrotto?

Thanks, but I already ordered a Markins Q3T ballhead...from what I've read it's a very popular match for the Gitzo 1541 legs that keeps it a lightweight package. This is my first experience with a ballhead, for years I've been using Bogen/Manfrotto 3021 legs with their pan/tilt head, but it is pretty heavy if you want to hike some miles.

Toddler

It's just as tough trying to capture a moment that wouldn't be interpreted as afternoon or evening as well.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
This one was tough

6821831882_46f91d1eb3_z.jpg

Morning on the beach.

Toddler

Not my original concept (or second), but I'm determined to enter something, so here's the little one just before she got up this morning:

z1JXy.jpg

aidan

4.jpg

Camera Canon EOS 5D
Focal Length 119mm
Shutter Speed 1/80 sec
Aperture f/4
ISO/Film 1600

Should I extend the deadline to encourage more entrants?

aidan

Class Divide by AnupT93, on Flickr

Morning on a train station.

Nikon D7000 + 35mm
f/2.0
1/250s
ISO 800

This one was tough

6821831882_46f91d1eb3_z.jpg

Morning on the beach.

4.jpg

Camera Canon EOS 5D
Focal Length 119mm
Shutter Speed 1/80 sec
Aperture f/4
ISO/Film 1600

Well, since no seemed concerned about extending it a week, let the voting commence (in quite possibly the smallest GAF assignment thread ever)!

aidan

Winner: pringles — Great, as is usual with your photos. Really like the soft colours.

Runner-up: MentallyCritical — Lovely light that manages to convey that it's morning, despite no other indicators. Great scene overall.

Comments:

Represent. — A nice portrait, with good energy, but doesn't connect with the theme for me.

Toddler — Also a nice portrait, and a good take on the theme. The white balance seems off, though.

aidan — I wish, uhh, that there was steam coming off of the coffee mug...

damn, flickr wouldn't upload at work and I got side tracked at home. Missed another one!
For what it's worth, this is the simple little photo I would have uploaded were my rear in gear:

DSC04837 by Pixel-Pete, on Flickr

aidan

I went ahead and added you to the list, Pete. Low amount of entries, plus the fact that only I've voted, are enough to convince me.

I went ahead and added you to the list, Pete. Low amount of entries, plus the fact that only I've voted, are enough to convince me.

you are a gentleman and a scholar :D

Nikon D7000 + 35mm
f/2.0
1/250s
ISO 800

This gets my first note. Despite my photo, mornings are usually about soft light and soft beds, so this gets my first vote. The composition work as well.

4.jpg

Camera Canon EOS 5D
Focal Length 119mm
Shutter Speed 1/80 sec
Aperture f/4
ISO/Film 1600

This gets my second vote, for similar reasons to pringles photo. However, the photo is very heavily biased to the left side of the shot.

pringles

My votes:

1) MentallyCritical : great light, really captures the feeling of getting on the morning train.
2) aidan : lovely warm colors. I like the composition too, could have done with less grain though. And yes, smoke coming from the mug would have been awesome ;)

Represent. : Nice enough shot, there's definitely a good energy to the subjects. To me it looks more like midday than morning however.

Toddler : this is a really sweet shot, but I don't think the focus is perfect and the white balance does seem off. I might have tried a different composition too.

Pixel Pete : I like the clean composition and how the left window is overexposed but the right one isn't. It's a simple but effective shot.

Well, since no seemed concerned about extending it a week, let the voting commence (in quite possibly the smallest GAF assignment thread ever)!
Nah, I'm pretty sure we've had only 4 entries in a few assignments :p Shame more people didn't contribute, I really thought this would be a theme that had more participation.

aidan

My votes: 2) aidan : lovely warm colors. I like the composition too, could have done with less grain though. And yes, smoke coming from the mug would have been awesome ;)

Thanks! I originally intended it to be a cleaner photo, but shooting handheld at 119mm and f/4.0 forced me to bump the ISO a few steps, resulting in the noise. I don't totally mind it.

Nah, I'm pretty sure we've had only 4 entries in a few assignments :p Shame more people didn't contribute, I really thought this would be a theme that had more participation.

I thought so, too!

First - pringles - I love the composition and the way the photo captures that "I don't wanna get out of bed" feeling.

Runner-Up - Pixel Pete - I like the moody darkness inside while the window promises a brand new day outside.

HM - Represent. - That's a terrific photo that captures a feeling of spontaneous joy, I just don't think it says "morning" to me.

I did manage to get out for a hike at sunrise with my new tripod and ballhead last week, and although it was a very enjoyable walk, the photos I took were a bit of a disappointment (my fault, not the equipment) and I really didn't have anything worth entering.

thatbox

Banned
First: pringles - Looks like a Monday morning to me!

Runner-up: Represent. - This is carried by the sheer joy of the subjects, like it's the first morning of a long vacation.

Honorable mentions:

MentallyCritical: It looks like you had a great setting, but I wish you had framed and composed it a little differently. The bowing distortion really hurts the overall feel - I think you should have minimized it (or worked around it if you had to, the EXIF doesn't include the gear you were using), or embraced it.

aidan: Gorgeous as always, with a great sense of place. It's a very comforting photograph, I just don't get a morning vibe from it.

Toddler

These posts pretty much nail it for me....

First:

pringles - I love the composition and the way the photo captures that "I don't wanna get out of bed" feeling.

Second:

Aidan : lovely warm colors. I like the composition too, could have done with less grain though. And yes, smoke coming from the mug would have been awesome ;)

...and thanks for the criticisms, guys. I'm hoping that participating in these threads (along with practice) really helps me get better. Feel free to hammer my posts in the official photography thread with any critiques, also.

Ready for the next assignment!

1.pringles

Nikon D7000 + 35mm
f/2.0
1/250s
ISO 800
Comments:
Really captures what goes on in the morning.

The denial to get up and get to work, even though it is a cat it represent something more.

the subject is in focus and the color scheme works well here.

2.aidan
4.jpg

Camera Canon EOS 5D
Focal Length 119mm
Shutter Speed 1/80 sec
Aperture f/4
ISO/Film 1600

Should I extend the deadline to encourage more entrants?
Comments:
This too like the first one is a clear representation of a morning scene.

A leisurely Sunday type of a scene and of course the cup represents the morning beverage that we all have.

I like the natural lighting in this as it comes down from above and falls right onto her mug and lap, giving you a natural sense that it is morning time.Which is kind of not evident on pringles photograph.

thatbox

Banned
I was looking for the new assignment and realized that we never closed this one out. Better late than never!

Voting results:

Winner: pringles

Nikon D7000 + 35mm
f/2.0
1/250s
ISO 800

Runner-up: MentallyCritical

Class Divide by AnupT93, on Flickr

Morning on a train station.

It's worth mentioning that aidan was only one vote behind MentallyCritical for the second spot, by my tally.

Congrats, pringles! It's on you to come up with the next assignment and post the thread!

aidan

Oops! Thanks for tallying up the votes!

And congrats to pringles and MentallyCritical!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom