• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

hamchan

Jeez, ND is really rolling out the DLC so fast. I haven't even played all the new maps yet. The amount of DLC is fine but spread it out a little more. It seems like every week there is new DLC in some shape or form. If U3 is going to be supported and played for a long time to come you don't have to shove out 4 or 5 major DLC expansions in about two months time ON TOP OFF Uncharted Golden Abyss being released. I am really starting to feel a little franchise fatigue here.

I wholeheartedly disagree. I felt they took too long to release DLC for this game, especially since it's just rehashed UC2 maps.

jett

D-Member
I still haven't got a single match with the latest rehashed map pack. And Uncharted 3 makes my slim's fan go into overdrive after an hour too. :| FHC was a complete waste of monies.

I wholeheartedly disagree. I felt they took too long to release DLC for this game, especially since it's just rehashed UC2 maps.

they probably started working on them ( redo all textures ) since they finished the MP ..they took their time but considering they had to finish the MP 1 month before the release it's not slow either.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I agree too. Their excuse was the whole winter break/vacation thing, but honestly, it took forever for them to release the first flashback pack which was just rehashed UC2 maps. I still prefer the UC2 versions of the maps over 3, because I hate how ND is making everything more darker for no apparent reason. Not to mention that problems with the map's mechanics appear in the UC3 versions of the maps when they never appeared in UC2, which is ridiculous. Certain map dynamic events don't appear either (RIP awesome air strike from The Highrise). There are only a few exceptions like The Fort, which look and plays better in 3 than it ever did in UC2 because they added cars to prevent sniping from across the map which was prevalent with the FAL back in UC2. They also added ways to jump over so you can ambush the campers hiding in the opposite sides of the maps.

Why would you want ND to spread out the DLC, XxSlasherMcGirkxX? It's just rehashed stuff from Uncharted 2. If anything, I'm glad they're getting all these maps I've already played to death for 2+ years out of the way. I want new content and it is disappointing to know that there's more Uncharted 2 maps right now than Uncharted 3 maps. Then again, the amount of times I've played on the flashback pack #2 are so small it's as if I don't even have them installed. Granted, after the patch they released, it slightly increased my chances in matchmaking, but it's still not good enough. Part of me thinks that not a lot of people actually picked it up making it harder for the matchmaking system to group people who have it installed.

- - -

Moving on, check this video someone posted on the ND forums showing how disgustingly overpowered the shotgun kickback is along with the crazy auto-aim:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfzfF-tNKrM&feature=player_embedded

Fucking awful. It's so easy to do and you regain your medals so easily on small maps like that. After the quick boom nerf, people (aka the try-hards) have migrated to this kickback in TDM. I can't say I'm surprised because players will do anything to get easy kills. Add in bargain + paid bargain into the mix, and your medal requirement decreases even further making it easier to gain another shotgun. Brilliant!

Been playing Plunder lately, and the spawns are still shit.

Heroes: "Our idol is near our base! We're getting ready to score!"
Villains: "Don't worry guys, Naughty Dog has our backs because we'll spawn in their base EVERY single time we die! We'll make sure they never score!"
Heroes: "Fuck, I died trying to score and it respawns me across the fucking map. FUCK"
Villains: ":lol :lol :lol :lol"

This goes vice-versa.

Another thing to note:

ND finally added three medal pick up chests in the flashback pack #1 maps for co-op arena. Yay! About time.

Oh, I didn't know you guys would be interested.

Here it is!

Yes, it has all possible spoilers. I discuss all aspects of his character. Inconsistencies, his death, ect.

I'd love to discuss him with you guys.

spidye

Here it is!

Yes, it has all possible spoilers. I discuss all aspects of his character. Inconsistencies, his death, ect.

nice video. agree with everything here.
It's one of the main reasons why I consider U3 the weakest in the series.

Number45

I think I've made it hard on myself to get the last few combat based trophies by overwriting my normal/crushing saves with a very easy (treasure hunting) one. Not going to be easy to get the grenade based ones when the buggers don't throw any. :/

SxP

Not going to be easy to get the grenade based ones when the buggers don't throw any. :/

Do you mean the kill 10 with throwbacks and kill 2 with one throwback? You should just chapter select 22 and stand in cover at the beginning of the small bridge. It such a narrow area and they always chuck some grenades at you if you just stay in cover. And then just jump off the bridge when they're dead and repeat.

Number45

Do you mean the kill 10 with throwbacks and kill 2 with one throwback? You should just chapter select 22 and stand in cover at the beginning of the small bridge. It such a narrow area and they always chuck some grenades at you if you just stay in cover. And then just jump off the bridge when they're dead and repeat.
Thanks, I'm actually not that far in yet (not too far now). I was genuinely worried that they wouldn't throw any, and as I've kept a single save I'd have to play the game through a fourth time.

Why would you want ND to spread out the DLC, XxSlasherMcGirkxX?

The problem IMO is when the game was released ND did take way to long to release the map packs when the game was in it's prime. The main reason that I am a tad frustrated though is even though the map packs are reused from U2 they do bring in a slight bit of new life to U3 and it is always interesting to play them with the new mechanics and new look. New strategies and tactics are born. More people also play Arena a little more because they wanna try out the new levels. The issue now is playing the DLC in it's prime but between Uncharted Golden Abyss (a game in the same series is now taking time away from playing U3's new releases) and all of the massive big name games of quarter 4 still being released like Batman, Mass Effect, Resident Evil, Zelda ect. there is not as much time being devoted U3. There was plenty of time before and now it seems like a rush. I don't know maybe this is starting to sound like a personal problem.

Moving on, check this video someone posted on the ND forums showing how disgustingly overpowered the shotgun kickback is along with the crazy auto-aim:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfzfF-tNKrM&feature=player_embedded

I kinda disagree to an extent. Granted I will not deny there were some definite bullshit kills in that video. I think a lot of them look worse than they really were. Like having the camera at a weird angle and shooting the gun then immediately jumping or pulling the shot kinda makes it look like bullshit but its really not. It seemed to me that most of the time that the crosshair dot was pointed at the targets. Overall I don't think the shot guns are any worse than they were in U2. If your using the sawed off shotty and you don't get your kill or there are more than one person shooting at you and you don't have a kickback you are 100% fucked.

Been playing Plunder lately, and the spawns are still shit.

Heroes: "Our idol is near our base! We're getting ready to score!"
Villains: "Don't worry guys, Naughty Dog has our backs because we'll spawn in their base EVERY single time we die! We'll make sure they never score!"
Heroes: "Fuck, I died trying to score and it respawns me across the fucking map. FUCK"
Villains: ":lol :lol :lol :lol"

This is why I hate plunder in U3. Terribad spawns and as soon as you even touch the idol you die so fast you don't even get to throw the treasure. I wonder how plunder would play if the spawns were fixed and maybe you had double health while carrying the treasure.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I kinda disagree to an extent. Granted I will not deny there were some definite bullshit kills in that video. I think a lot of them look worse than they really were. Like having the camera at a weird angle and shooting the gun then immediately jumping or pulling the shot kinda makes it look like bullshit but its really not. It seemed to me that most of the time that the crosshair dot was pointed at the targets. Overall I don't think the shot guns are any worse than they were in U2. If your using the sawed off shotty and you don't get your kill or there are more than one person shooting at you and you don't have a kickback you are 100% fucked.
You are not seeing the actual problem in that video. We both can agree that the auto aim is ridiculous as seen in some of the kills. However, the REAL issue is how easy it is to regain your medals for your kickback. All you have to do is jump to spam your two shotgun bursts and you'll always get a death from above medal, and if you continue doing that and killing people, you'll get commandos, double down, power killer, streak, triple threat, etc. which are enough to regain another sewed-off shotgun. I do agree that nothing was worse than the SAS in UC2, but this problem still needs to be looked into because it is being exploited.

The problem IMO is when the game was released ND did take way to long to release the map packs when the game was in it's prime.
Yes, I agree 100%.

Regarding Plunder, I think it would play better if it would spawn people in the middle of the map. You know, not too far away from the treasure box, but not too close like it is right now. Part of me also wishes that they remove power weapons from every map because we already have kickbacks as it is. They are enough especially on a mode where people just want to farm for kills and easily gain medals. It's very unfortunate that the mode is basically like it was in UC2...where people would rather go for kills than to touch the idol. As long as the kills count towards a player's personal statistics (not the leaderboards one), people will farm for kills.

HyperBitHero, that was an AWESOME video.

Every single point you made was spot on. :bow

TripOpt55

Here it is!

Nice video. I liked the idea of Talbot. A guy that seemed to do the impossible. Whether they would have explained it as Amy did on Twitter or as being supernatural in some way, I would have been fine, but like you said they never really fleshed him out or did explaining in the game. I still love that chase sequence. Was so cool and fun. The idea of a guy who could keep up with Drake in a sequence like that was good too. I will choose to believe he ran away just to fuck with Drake or something. Just don't want to admit to any issues with the sequence :)

Personally, I haven't thought that highly of the writing in any of the Uncharted games. The story is for the most part in service of the characters and the setpieces. The cruise ship sequence in UC3 was by far the most memorable part of the game IMO (along with the convoy). I wouldn't give up that sequence for a more cohesive story. I guess I just like the characters in Uncharted, while the story beats are less important overall. There are aspects to UC3 that I wish were done better (the poor payoff at the ending) but it still felt awesome to go through. I think that's why Uncharted games are some of the few that I can replay multiple times.

You are not seeing the actual problem in that video. We both can agree that the auto aim is ridiculous as seen in some of the kills. However, the REAL issue is how easy it is to regain your medals for your kickback. All you have to do is jump to spam your two shotgun bursts and you'll always get a death from above medal, and if you continue doing that and killing people, you'll get commandos, double down, power killer, streak, triple threat, etc. which are enough to regain another sewed-off shotgun. I do agree that nothing was worse than the SAS in UC2, but this problem still needs to be looked into because it is being exploited.

I still think the shotgun has it's weaknesses. No long range game and unable to kill multiple targets. What you described in your post you should really be afraid of the rocket man set. RPG kickback + the extra rpg/hammer ammo booster + bargain booster + paid bargain booster. That is way more deadly than the shotgun setup. Many a times have I earned my kickback back with my two RPGs.

Mikey Jr.

If you are a Fortune Hunters Club member, we are supposed to be getting four "map packs".

You know that co-op DLC with the villains? According to ND, THAT is a map pack and is counted as one of our four.

The co-op DLC...............is a map pack.

Head is full of fuck.jpg

jett

D-Member
If you are a Fortune Hunters Club member, we are supposed to be getting four "map packs".

You know that co-op DLC with the villains? According to ND, THAT is a map pack and is counted as one of our four.

Head is full of fuck.jpg

I wish I could get my 25 bux back. :|

hamchan

How they heck do they count one map as a map pack. Seems like they just want to stop supporting this game already but they're obligated to make more content because of the FHC.

Number45

How they heck do they count one map as a map pack. Seems like they just want to stop supporting this game already but they're obligated to make more content because of the FHC.
Surely they would have had all of the content locked (at least in terms of what they want to deliver) before offering a service like that in order to budget accordingly? Seems like it's just not very good value for money... not the ideal way to do something like that, if that's the majority perception of it.

Mikey Jr.

This is what ND said:

"We acknowledge you're currently annoyed with the content for the FHC but the value of the what you get in it can't be denied. The definition of map pack is very fixed by other title's definition of what it is. Thank you for understanding and approaching this in a civil manner. "

To sane people, map pack means maps for competitive.

To ND, map pack means 1 co-op mission.

I don't think it's such a travesty. They definitely should have been more clear, but it's not like the value is poor. Overall there are a ton of maps now available for UC3 MP and they even expanded on the Co-op which everyone complained they didn't do with the last game. Hopefully ND doesn't mislead people again, but I don't think people got ripped off really.

SxP

There wouldn't be so much "outrage" if half of the map packs didn't contain old content. FHC owners payed up front and I think they expected more NEW content. Not just more content in general.

Honestly I don't feel ripped off. I know I was going to buy it anyway. I just wished I would have played the new maps a little more. I still haven't played Temple yet.

Head is full of fuck.jpg

That's ...pretty stupid.. One Map doesn't make a pack !!!
A pack is at least 2 !!

I'm disapointed ND ...
If i knew i would have paid for tenzin skin , the flashback pack 1 and the fort and be done with it..

Shade co-op better be awesome for me to forget

iLLmAtlc

They're totally going back on it and I'm pretty sure it wasn't them miswording it like they claim. How hard would it have been to say "3 map packs and 1 Co-op map"?

Number45

I think I've made it hard on myself to get the last few combat based trophies by overwriting my normal/crushing saves with a very easy (treasure hunting) one. Not going to be easy to get the grenade based ones when the buggers don't throw any. :/
I'm such an idiot, why didn't I realise that I could change the difficulty from the chapter select? :/

Thank you guys! Glad you liked it.

About the FHC, I bought that as well. I'm also mad that all of it's been rehashed stuff that, in my opinion, isn't even as good as the originals. I'm not really a fan of U3 as a whole, and bought it on instinct, thinking I was going to love it.

I was pretty heart broken when I saw how bad some of the villain skins were. Eddy Raja looks like a cross eyed chameleon, and Navarro has a block of metal for hair.

I wish there were more cross over skins like U2 had. I would dig a Cole and Zeke skin.

The fact that Fort Co-op counts as a map pack feels like a bait and switch, but i still don't regret getting the FHC, even though most of the stuff they have added since the initial deal of 7 DLC packs has been fluff (especially the avatars). I knew we were getting old revamped maps and i was looking forward to them. I also thoroughly enjoyed the Fort co-op mission and i'm looking forward to trying the Shade mode tomorrow, even though it isn't all that the fans have imagined it could be.

With that said, Eric-ND's rationalizations on the forum as to why the Fort Co-op counts as a map pack have been pretty weak, but in the end i would've spent more money if i just got the map packs and co-op modes separately, so i still don't feel ripped off by the FHC. I just hope that the map pack coming out in april will contain 4 new maps, because anything less would be pretty disappointing after the long wait. I was hoping for 2 new map packs with 4 maps in each since the announcement of the 4 packs, but realistically i was expecting 2 packs with 2 new maps in each, so i'll be content if they match that total number of 4 new maps in this final map pack.

Mikey Jr.

Gears of War 3 Season pass ($30) gets you:

-Pack 1:

3 brand new maps for competitve mode
3 new skins

-Pack 2:

New 3 hour single-player story
4 new MP skins

-Pack 3:

5 brand new maps for competitve mode
4 new characters

-Pack 4:

3 brand new maps for competitve mode
2 remade maps from previous games for competitve
4 new characters

-FREE DLC:

Pack 1 maps free for everyone for competitve mode
2 brand new maps

---Total: 15 new maps for competitve, 13 of which are brand new.

---I didn't even include new weapon skins, and new weapons, and new things for Horde mode.

Now lets see what Naughty Dog offered us for 5 dollars less at $25

-8 maps from Uncharted 2, some with changes, some without

-Rogue pack and villain pack which are generic thugs from the game.

-Characters from U2 ripped straight out from U2

-Killzone accessory pack. Helghast armor is great, the ISA helmet is ok, and the Helghast head armor looks terribad.

-Fat characters?

-1 co-op DLC that takes about 15 minutes to finish

-Some upcoming "new" map, god know what it is. (For Naughty-Dog, 1 map is considered a "map pack" lol)

-27 avatars for PSN which inflate the "value" of FHC dramatically.

-Shade mode.

They are supporting DLC past when FHC ends. You know what that means? Stupid fucks who bought FHC get the old U2 maps at a discount, then when FHC ends, they'll release brand new maps.

Mikey Jr.

I demand a refund!

I'll be content if the next map pack has 4 new maps.

If I knew that FHC was going to be 8 old maps and 1 co-op mission, I would have never bought it.

I played a lot of U2, I am fucking tired of these old maps. So much so, that I haven't even downloaded the second map pack.

The character packs stink of laziness. They were off to a good start with the Killzone Capture Trooper skin.

Then they smelled them up with the rogues pack. SO little effort went into them. Then the fat characters? Come on.

The U2 characters are cool, but they are ripped straight from U2.

And the topping on the cake? Avatars!! Woo! Cant get enough of those!

Then they make a co-op mission, which is fine by me, dont get me wrong. But you make that a map pack? The fuck? Why not make Shade mode another map pack and put the FHC shit out of its fucking misery.

Just feels like so little effort went into this DLC, and they knew that if they didn't trick people with the FHC description and the "ZOMG!1 YOU'LL save 2000%!!", then no one would have bought 75% of the shit they are putting out. I wouldnt have.

*sigh*

ND really just kills me sometimes. Right now the blow isn't too bad since I went half with my cousin on the FHC and so we get all the dlc anyway.

Today the Shade coop mode drops which I'm sure will be a repeat of what we played. Cool fire dudes we shot to death already in fort coop and campaign now on other maps. "yay!"
:/

I still have fun with the game though. Finally beat Borneo on crushing with my friends and we got the other to do. Just increase the level cap, fix the customization and the new LAB playlist needs to be put up soon.

Mr. Fix

Wow that Gears DLC list completely shits on the FHC. Almost enough to make me want to buy Gears and a 360. Almost!

I honestly can't remember if I've downloaded the "new" UC3 map pack. Not like it would matter, as my fate would be similar to Jett's.

Mikey Jr.

Shade Mode is out.

Hoping on now.

Not sure why everyone is so hyped for this. People on the ND forums are saying "I hope this will bring me back to U3" like this mode is some saving grace or something.

Number45

Mwahaha! Couldn't be bothered to do online co-op, so I played offline split screen by myself for the last trophy.

foreveralone.jpg.

Mikey Jr.

Just "beat" 8 rounds of Shade on hard.

BFD.

Its co-op arena.....with shades.

Its not even unlimited rounds, or a high number of rounds. Just eight. Which was not really all that hard. It really should go on longer.

Not sure why they are charging 6 bucks for this.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks

BFD.

Its not even unlimited rounds, or a high number of rounds. Just eight. Which was not really all that hard. It really should go on longer.

Not sure why they are charging 6 bucks for this.
You are hard to please.

Shade Mode is fucking awesome. I just finished playing a match on Hard too and it lasted pretty long. The enemies take long to beat, the Marked Man in particular takes the longest and it's awesome because it forces everyone to move around the whole map trying to hunt him down. The instant exploding grenades are great too. For my first match on Hard difficulty, I was actually challenged unlike with regular co-op arena on Hard it just bores the shit out of me. I'm going to wait for my friend to get on so we can try Crushing....I don't even know if I'll be able to handle that just yet!

So far, Shades Mode is fun.

Bree

BFD.

Pretty much this. I played on hard too. Bomb the shit out of everything and run around. For fuck's sake, bring team safe. I've been killed so many times by people who won't bring it. I have literally spent matches where I spend more time hopping then shooting. Don't wander too far from your teammates and you'll probably win.

There doesn't seem to be any kind of exclusive treasure set for this arena. It seems I can't unlock it on crushing even though I've beat it on hard. Apparently I have to play X map on hard to unlock Crushing on X Map. I probably won't bother considering that I don't need the money and since I could probably get more money from regular co-op if I needed it.

I wouldn't have bought this if it had been standalone dlc. Still regret buying into the FHC.

Mikey Jr.

You are hard to please.

Shade Mode is fucking awesome. I just finished playing a match on Hard too and it lasted pretty long. The enemies take long to beat, the Marked Man in particular takes the longest and it's awesome because it forces everyone to move around the whole map trying to hunt him down. The instant exploding grenades are great too. For my first match on Hard difficulty, I was actually challenged unlike with regular co-op arena on Hard it just bores the shit out of me. I'm going to wait for my friend to get on so we can try Crushing....I don't even know if I'll be able to handle that just yet!

So far, Shades Mode is fun.

What is different versus normal co-op arena?

The enemy can teleport. Ok.

Also, sometimes one of the enemies has a target on his head and you have to kill him. Btw, you dont have to hunt him down. He comes for you. Its not like he runs away, or his AI is different in any way, lol. I'm not kidding. Stay in one area. He'll come to you. 75% of the time, the marked target spawned a few feet away from us.

I would have done things differently.

1. Make it longer. 8 rounds? Really? What is the purpose of that? Make it much longer, make the enemies more aggressive as it goes, each 5th round, throw in a special shade that has one of those perks like unlimited ammo, pak-80, etc.

2. Different enemy types. Why no guardians? Those guys would be way more fun to fight. High agility/mobility, but lack of any long range weapons. Have them as their own round, or mix them up with the shades.

3. Secondary objectives. Sometimes secondary objectives pop up, and if you complete them, your team gets +2 (3, 4?) bonus medals. It could be something simple like deliver the idol, or 3 areas pop up simultaneously. Each party member has to stand in each area and capture it at the exact same time. Or an object appears somewhere on the map that can only be destroyed by melee. Shooting it does nothing. If you destroy it, then bonus medals. It presents a risk/reward type system. You dont have to do them, but if you do, it could give you that edge for the later rounds.

4. Every 10th round, spiders. Except these spiders cant be killed at all. For a few minutes, you just have to survive. Run like fucking hell. Climb everything you can, jump, try to outmaneuver them. Shooting them slows them down though, and grenades stun them.

These are just some ideas I have come up with from the top of my head right now. This is what I would expect from new content. Not slap together some shades in co-op arena and call it a day.

decided to play uncharted 3 online for the first time in a long time.. and noticed one thing... theres still no option to remove/hide that huge emblem in splitscreen? :|

that always annoyed me.

Shade mode..

->team safe
->army of three
->Player accustomed to co-op

You're fine

I expected a challenge , but now after so many hours in co-op i figured pretty much the strategy to use right away.

Played :
-molten ruins ( hard for my first time )
-desert village ( twice )
-sanctuary
-cheateau
-airport

I'm pretty much disapointed , this should have been bundled with the fort-co-op map as 1 pack ..
The mode is fine ... There is indeed a minimum amount of teamwork required but not more than regular hard/crushing co-op ..
8 rounds is fine .. the regular shade grenades pretty much one-shot you.. so more would be pretty much impossible to manage if they keep teleporting.

I had a good time but it doesn't feel like the price they ask for it ..

Shade marked man is a good idea , it's impossible to complete if the whole team doesn't quickly work toward the marked man to kill him
i was in hard crushing , activated army of three , killed them easily and after the 30 sec, we took power weapons .. i can't imagine a better stratégy.

Mikey Jr.

I finished 1 match on hard with relative ease. I've played enough co-op arena, so I'm done with the mode.

Going back to competitive. Hopefully they release 4 new maps.

Rikyfree

Here it is!

Sigh, if they had fleshed him out a tiny bit more, he definitely would have been the best villain in the entire series. Like overhearing a conversation he has with Marlowe or finding some of the gadgets he uses or hell just finding a notebook explaining various techniques he uses.

Top Bottom