• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of Final Fantasy's 25th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

Heropon

Tx94o.png
FeRaE.png
gln0m.png

It seems I forgot something in that castle... The funniest thing is that Sasuke's Katana is going to be the most useful of this set.

RY4sd.png
OY9k5.png
BeSxy.png
Icdy2.png

Fork Tower, the conclusion I made in this place is that I don't like my mages alone.
Bartz and Faris learned a nice ability when they were ninjas, and they use it to end this battle without being damaged. And Omniscient, I had some problems... (I forgot to give Lenna a good ability)

lWU5b.png
tHe5M.png
uzjJO.png
A0oRo.png

Let's get the "last" job, Mimic.

hzOKC.png
smKmU.png
Nyeor.png
XcjhV.png
9wBmN.png

Third tablet: Strategy against these bosses, brute force!!!

UrBa5.png
ZMOi8.png
MC4PV.png
EHpHZ.png

Meteo and three new weapons, great...

h04U6.png
xiNvb.png
S6qlC.png

Fourth tablet and Leviathan.

M38wQ.png
GqtaD.png
w0uqG.png

And the last three weapons. This is the moment in which I get the new jobs, but I forgot to do it :(

b2PWb.png
9Gu7i.png
XAasJ.png
C9IJS.png
7gzAA.png

Phoenix Tower, I was halfway the tower when I regreted going there. Those monster were so nasty with all those status-inducing attacks...
I should have grinded the Oracle job before giving all those elixirs to these monsters. There were two good things after all, a reflect ring and Krile mastered Red Mage. Afterwards, I made Krile a Chemist so I could maximize the effect of the ethers.

tmsHI.png
rMJLV.png
oV4Js.png

After all the suffering, the reward is Phoenix.

NyrWG.png
CWTYY.png
nFlte.png

I should have done this earlier, but well...

fPgs4.png
yDHLf.png
BQBz2.png

And then Bahamut. I only had three Reflect Rings, so I had to use Reflect on him. But the effect wore off when I killed Bahamut and he was Megaflared. The first image is a failed attempt (the only failed attempt), I forgot to give Krile a reflect ring and she was in the wrong job, and then I got breathed until all my characters were dead.

Paches

Finally met my final match, Zeromus!

zeromus.jpg

Was low 50's when I took him down, was a pretty fun fight and very tight with people dipping in HP often and a few unlucky Big Bang follow ups to kill my Caller. He eventually fell though, and so did the credits!

ff4%20ending.jpg

Overall, excellent game and I look forward to beating FF5 now sometime in the near future, as Tales of Graces F just came in the mail today, so it was perfect timing. So now I have beat:

FF1,4,6,7,8,9,10,12,13,13-2

Any recommendations for my next one? I was just going to go for FF5 (the one with Bartz if I am not mistaken?), but open to suggestions. Basically... 2, 3, or 5?

Heropon

Any recommendations for my next one? I was just going to go for FF5 (the one with Bartz if I am not mistaken?), but open to suggestions. Basically... 2, 3, or 5?

I don't see FFX-2 in your list so I recommend you to beat it at some point. About the games you say you could beat, I'd say FF5.

And talking about FF5...

R72J7.png
SEeX1.png

Before going to the Cleft of Dimensions, we fight Odin and win. This was the last summon.

WFv7r.png
NpLXc.png

First zone, Desert/Beach: The characters meet all the bosses they have to beat.

Wjoic.png
Pu9QU.png
1JgeN.png

After the desert, they go through the ruins, phantom village and forest zones.

AzDy5.png
fV49Y.png

First boss, Calofisteri: I don't remember what I did (yesterday...), so I think it was easy.

l8mip.png
sNu4c.png

Omega wanders the water cave zone. I was unlucky and I ran into it. R.I.P.

bd0rk.png
TOc85.png

Second boss, Apanda: This boss was easy but it dodged my physical attacks too much, so I used Holy a few times.

L6clx.png
AMLAB.png
01Pwt.png
HPQD0.png

The next boss is Azulmagia, in the castle zone. I didn't have an strategy except equipping all the reflect rings I had. I saw that he had a level multiple of 3 with Libra and the next step was flaring him. The best thing is that this monster learns it and uses it on the party, only to be reflected and hit him for 9999 points of damage. Goodbye!

xtd0p.png
9aLi1.png

Fourth boss, Catastrophe: I forgot to take the reflect rings from Lenna and Krile and that saved me. This monster kept making that attack that quits the float status for all the battle.

YhOdK.png

Fifth boss, Halicarnassus: The first thing he does is an attack that cures or induces toad to all the party. The best strategy is to begin the battle as toads and kill him fast before he does Holy or that magic again.

nMioZ.png
1Z7k0.png

Sixth boss, Twintania: It counterattacks physical attacks with Tidal Wave, so the solution is to wait and cure while it attacks. He will charge a Gigaflare after a while, that's the moment to kill it with Break, Odin, or something like that.

3pvhz.png
Ol9of.png

Twintania was the last boss in the castle zone. Afterwards, we reach the final zone and meet again with Gilgamesh. It's our chance to steal him another piece of Genji equipment. It seems he is friendly and leaves.

N668L.png
sDQqQ.png
MCYM9.png
4XVNL.png

Necrophobe has seized the last save point, he will pay for this! His barriers are dangerous with all that magic spamming. Just before he is going to be killed, Gilgamesh appears and Necrophobe doesn't take more damage. This is our only chance to get the Genji Armor, so we take it. Gilgamesh sacrifices himself and that monster dies. ; _ ;

I'm going to grind a little before attacking Exdeath.

Psxphile

I was coming up to the end of FFIII DS. I cleared Eureka, saved, then took on the Crystal Tower proper. Fought my way to the top and massacred Xande, only to have Cloud of Darkness return the favor. But the game was expecting that and plot-resurrected me. And then, like an IDIOT, I pushed forward instead of heading back down the tower to save. I ran into CoD again and she Particle Beamed me to kingdom come.

Damn.

I was rocking a party of Ninja, Magus, Devout and Black Belt. I *think* I was in the mid-50s level-wise (but now I'm back to 51 at my last save point). Any tips? Especially on avoiding instant 9999 from Particle Beam... do I just need to grind levels/jobs? Should I trade up my Magus for a Summoner? Seems a shame to let Bahamut go to waste after all the trouble to claim it. And I've got (or will get) two sets of Crystal equipment + Excalibur/Ragnarok and no one can equip 'em.

I was coming up to the end of FFIII DS. I cleared Eureka, saved, then took on the Crystal Tower proper. Fought my way to the top and massacred Xande, only to have Cloud of Darkness return the favor. But the game was expecting that and plot-resurrected me. And then, like an IDIOT, I pushed forward instead of heading back down the tower to save. I ran into CoD again and she Particle Beamed me to kingdom come.

Damn.

I was rocking a party of Ninja, Magus, Devout and Black Belt. I *think* I was in the mid-50s level-wise (but now I'm back to 51 at my last save point). Any tips? Especially on avoiding instant 9999 from Particle Beam... do I just need to grind levels/jobs? Should I trade up my Magus for a Summoner? Seems a shame to let Bahamut go to waste after all the trouble to claim it. And I've got (or will get) two sets of Crystal equipment + Excalibur/Ragnarok and no one can equip 'em.

After CoD kills you the first time, you have to fight four more bosses to make her not instantly kill you again. I don't remember what job balance is like in that game, so I don't have recommendations there.

Man, those lategame screenshots of FFV make me all nostalgiac. The GBA version looks really nice, but I hate the font they use in that version. If I'll replay it, I might do the one on PSN store. Yeah, the loading times are horrendous, but back then I'd also beaten it on the PS1...

So!

Part V: A whole new world

After arriving in Tokkle, my party gets arrested and thrown in jail. Because what is an RPG without a jailbreak level? I'm surprised I haven't seen a sewer yet. Also, the king is here! Explains the empty castle.

A0G1M.jpg
1N9BW.jpg

Oh boy, Hyne? I've heard of this fellow. I hope I'm prepared. After becoming small again, my party escapes threw corridors of green...

h94Ia.jpg
atbLC.jpg

The enemies aren't that strong, but battles can go wrong pretty quickly when the enemies start casting confuse on the wrong people! I had to stay on my toes.

VZ8FN.jpg
07lE3.jpg

You know, I didn't really have much trouble with him. I think I got lucky: two out of three times he changed his elemental weakness, it stayed the same, so I Ice3'd his ass. Didn't even have to change my party.

Turns out I'm inside the Elder Tree, and by defeating Hyne, I saved him/her/it. My party receives the Wind Fang. I have no idea what it is for, but nice!

ck1c4.jpg

Having no idea of what do to next, I decide to visit the castle again. My assumptions were correct, everyone returned! The king is so kind to give me a 'time gear,' and wants me to give it to Cid. Wait, could this mean...?

obAkd.jpg
Rpk50.jpg
Ahvl4.jpg

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH. My boat is now a transformer. I can fly again! I make my way into the clouds, and...

OhdND.jpg

... Oh gosh, this game is bigger than I thought.

After flying around for ages, forgetting that I have magic called Sight, I find a tower of sorts, but I can't land near it. Hmmm. Then, I stumble upon the water temple.

mIVdk.jpg
LUwI7.jpg
apsYc.jpg

In the cave over yonder I can't proceed because of a seal. So, I go and find this Elia.

EWcma.jpg

Creepy, but Elia is here. I had to use a faq to find out a simple potion could cure her. Ugh. Luckily, I've got quite a few of those at the ready.

wq6P1.jpg

Elia joins my crew and together we venture forth into the Water cave. This place has a few dead ends without treasure. Pfft.

PffQt.jpg
TKqAy.jpg
mlSUs.jpg

Hnnnnng. I do love how my Knight jumps in the way of hits to characters that are dying. Together with his Blood sword which steals HP from enenies, he's nigh unstoppable.

MaSHv.jpg

Upon finding the water crystal, Elia gets shot. Oh no! Looks like everytime I find a crystal, an NPC has to die ):

T91r3.jpg
Lq5Bo.jpg

It's a fight against Kraken. I had to reload a few times because of stupid timing: two of his magic2's on one character kills them. Now that I know that Phoenix Downs are unbuyable, I can't go wasting them here.

uzRSz.jpg

Then, an entire continent rises from the sea.

IjIpP.jpg
f8945.jpg

Okay. Man. That explains a lot.

Rocyl.jpg

I have a few new jobs, but I don't really know what to do with them. I like my party as it is now, although I do presume turning my Monk into a Karateka couldn't hurt, right?

Aeana

Man, those lategame screenshots of FFV make me all nostalgiac. The GBA version looks really nice, but I hate the font they use in that version. If I'll replay it, I might do the one on PSN store. Yeah, the loading times are horrendous, but back then I'd also beaten it on the PS1...

I hacked the font in FF5a, because I really dislike the "FF Portable" font SE uses.

VXplZ.png
lEaje.png

I did it for FF6a and FF4 DS too.

Heropon

After flying around for ages, forgetting that I have magic called Sight, I find a tower of sorts, but I can't land near it. Hmmm. Then, I stumble upon the water temple.

mIVdk.jpg

Wow, I didn't know you could see the crystal tower before going to the water crystal.

...And FF5 final moments.

SDzPd.png
cTOtz.png
PW46m.png

These enemies give lots of AP, but one has to beat them fast (like three turns with the hermes sandals).

OEJwa.png
DBtoi.png
t1LxU.png

I decided to kill Omega. I didn't want to strategize, but I knew about the devastating fire attacks, so I gave fire rings to everyone.

xU5Zb.png
LW9jH.png
o23uS.png
t4VZw.png
IatBt.png

And second optional superboss, Shinryu: He does annihilating elemental attacks, so coral rings and ice shields for everyone. Then, I attack it like with all my power (and the Dragon Whisker). He's history.

HXevN.png

The legendary Ragnarok!

F9CWN.png
kfAJb.png
IhslU.png
5XiWr.png
AHlKX.png

It's time to kill! Exdeath begins to use the void with everything and our heroes end swallowed too, but they are saved by the dawn warriors and king Tycoon.

51n49.png
ej24c.png
fsk04.png
JCYYi.png

Exdeath: It's easy with the extra abilities granted by the movers. The only annoying attack is that one that petrifies and kills a character.

C6Fz3.png
ul9i1.png
1MVNr.png
bgIjS.png
C1SDZ.png

Four targets and one nasty attack, those are the characteristics of this monster. Thanks to Mighty Guard, Almagest isn't too strong (3rd image). Grand Cross only caused zombie to Krile, it could have been worse. And after those two attacks and a few Aeros he dies.

uImf2.png
8ILgb.png
QA0uN.png

Thanks to our heroes, the crystals are restored and the same happens with the towns swallowed by the void.

TISdv.png
YD9W0.png
q4kVF.png
9ih63.png
dZ7O2.png
INRUY.png

It seems this is the longest time I've spent with a FF in this 25th anniversary series, totally worth it.

FIN

Jucksalbe

Banned
For a change of pace I decided to play a tournament of Chocobo Racing (PSN version). I tried to take pictures that at least show the different tracks a little, but this is one game where having the screenshot function on the note button isn't very handy (you have to accelerate with the square button). So here we go:

ce13o.png
dCHay.png
4sllA.png

I used the chocobo with turbo power-up. You can choose the four tracks to race on, so I went with the four easiest tracks, since I haven't played this game in quite a while.

MB4sD.png
efI03.png
0750E.png

First track: a wide road with no real challenge. The only real problem are your enemies and their constant barrage of unavoidable(?) attacks. Close to the finish line someone hit me with a Doom spell which seems to be similar to MK's lightning cloud as in you can pass it to others by bumping into them. There was noone around, though.

CpV8G.png
qQHPq.png

In the end I finished 2nd, just because of that stupid Doom spell.

LXbDJ.png
ZX2I4.png
J0iFq.png

Next track: a mining area with some more difficult corners. You can drift with X, so it's still not very hard. There's even a shortcut (last picture) I managed to use once. I was very proud of myself (and had to hit the note button immediately!).

z25fl.png
qQHPq.png

The enemies were a lot tamer this time, therefore: 1st place.

dTJ8n.png
aX4ED.png

rEWKw.png
wUTos.png

Third track: a track around and through a castle. I screwed up the first lap (drove right into a wall) and had to catch up for the rest of the race. That didn't go so well.

Mnbsl.png
iobav.png

Thanks to a last minute turbo, I managed to place at least 3rd. Luckily my rival in the championship drove even worse.

ks53p.png
yOn8u.png
blyBJ.png

Final race: Candyland! The track is rather easy and I was mostly left alone by the competition, in the end this was an easy win.

JB06u.png
qS4rU.png

It's interesting to see that the CPU doesn't seem to be fixed to a certain position like in older Mario Kart games. So, even though I wasn't that good I still won the championship by 11 points.

M0kv6.png
gnHw3.png
BoxWp.png

Time to celebrate!

Congrats. I was half joking when I said you would finish before HiddenWings, but there you did it.

Heropon

I think I'm going to start FFVI immediately. While I was playing FFV I missed playing it on a handheld, so I've installed a SNES emulator on the PSP.

Anyway, my least favorite dungeon in FF5, the phoenix tower.

It is completely impossible to run from random encounters in here.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_15-8.png

But there are 5 of these things.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_03-15.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_36-8.png

Giving them one has a chance to net 100 ABP, but sometimes they want more than one.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_38-7.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_39-4.png

The fight is conducted under the time magic Mute, so no magic works, but using the Wonder Wand as an item casts reset, so you never have to use more than one.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_34-8.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_35-8.png

30 annoying floors later...
FinalFantasyVAdvance_71-4.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_97-2.png

Lacking a way to teleport, I have to climb back down the tower too...

Phoenix costs 99 (!) MP to cast, and does mediocre damage to enemies. It does revive one person with completely full HP/MP, so my party is pretty much immune to any forms of death that don't kill everyone at once now.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_99-1.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_102-1.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_103.png

Some final preparation, then into the final area.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_109-2.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_110-1.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_115-2.png

Red Scarlet

Did some speed runs in FF13-2, but a bunch of people beat my time (5:59:52) pretty handily. May play/stream FF12i and FF2 in a couple days/weeks.

Heropon

After beating FFV, I'm eagerly anticipating the FFV Job Fiesta, I hope I don't get Berserker.

It's FINAL FANTASY VI time!

cOePF.png

Well, FINAL FANTASY III.

Ixfmx.png
3uMX7.png

Wow, I love the beginning.

7D9SJ.png
1usdz.png
SY3lv.png

Our group isn't welcome :(
Well, I think I know why, those overpowered attacks must hurt.

1lyZX.png

NEWCOMER: Pincer attack. This formation only appears in this game and FF7.

K2Ytm.png
sDF3X.png
8THHv.png
iB5HU.png

Our beloved guards release this game's first boss, Whelk. Biggs gives a piece of advice that he doesn't follow and he's fried instantly.

MD3Ou.png
RlZ01.png
Ry3qq.png

But it doesn't matter, because he and Wedge kick the bucket just after.

ftkNs.png
xqMqe.png
Z0YZP.png
g4FMZ.png

Terra is freed from the Empire and an old man hosts her. Someone forgot the CAPS LOCK on, but I'm an expert in capitalization. It will clash with OLD MAN and BANON, but I don't care.
The guards want revenge, so Terra has to hide in the mines. We'll know what happens to her in the next chapter.

I finished, but it's a bit much for one post, so there will be two updates for the rift.

Interdimensional Rift, part 1:

You know these guys by now. I'm going to kill all seven of them.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_04-12.png

Getting through the rift is pretty easy, Bahamut kills anything Odin doesn't. The Blood sword in this version isn't that useful because a) It's really weak b) Only knights can use it and c) it has terrible accuracy. Some things (like rapid fire) can ignore that last part.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_07-7.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_08-15.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_09-13.png

The game's 4th ribbon is in the forest section, and I prepare for the upcoming fight.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_10-11.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_13-7.png

Demon of the Rift: Calofisteri
or: AI and Reflect Abuse, part 1

Not many screenshots for this one. With reflect on one of your characters, Calofisteri casts reflectable status buffs on that character and therefore has no offense. She gets killed quickly for it.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_17-11.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_20-9.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_26-8.png

The waterfall section includes tiptoeing around Omega and picking up a 4th Coral Ring. There's an easy boss at the end.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_27-6.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_29-8.png

Demon of the Rift: Apanda
or: Byblos, is that you?

This one kept things simple, with a full set of reflect Rings + Aeroga. Nothing new here.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_39-5.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_41-6.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_42-3.png

He sometimes countered with Toad, which is hard to land on a party of mirrors. Two Down.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_45-6.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_49-1.png

The castle section is home to most of the remaining demons. Some nice treasures are found here. A pair of demons and some other miscellaneous bosses are in the basement.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_51-5.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_54-3.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_52-6.png

Demon of the Rift: Azulmagia
or: Ooh, let me try it!

As you might infer from the name, Azulmagia uses blue magic, and can learn some of the spells the party uses on him. Like Bahumut before him, he can be manipulated into casting 9999 on himself with Reflect and Level 3 Flare.

This is simpler.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_59-2.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_62-4.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_66-2.png

The things roaming around down in the basement are mini-bosses called Alte Roite.
The old man form casts encircle, which removes a party member from combat. The dragon form can use maelstrom if I remember correctly, but that's not relevant here.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_98-2.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_101-1.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_102-2.png

Demon of the Rift: Catastrophe
or: AI and Reflect Abuse, part 2

You know how this one works by now.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_114-1.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_119.png

Next time: demon cleanup continues.

kitzkozan

I'm guessing it's normal for the FFV non greatest hit version to crash on the PS3? (first slim model) . I know about the save bug and it's effect on the PS2, but didn't expect it to make my PS3 crash. Only way I can play it on my PS3 is either the PSN version or the greatest hit package. Which one would be the best as I heard the saving bug still exist in the PSN version? (I know it's the GBA version which is the best but I don't play on portable :p ) .

Heropon

CtnG0.png
KSUjd.png
jDtvn.png

At last, Terra is cornered, but falls through a hole. There is a flashback of her being manipulated.

tqny9.png
Eik41.png
Vusbn.png
cgFew.png

But Locke and the moogle gang rescue her.

SwIgT.png
11Qou.png

The Mog party is the best one. They slain the boss effortlessly.

KoZ8t.png
Yn4e9.png
dQfMg.png

And Locke and Terra leave Narshe together.

DfdSK.png
5wtg8.png
jd4ar.png

Their next stop is Figaro castle. We buy some tools to his majesty.

ovYuN.png
fpIBl.png
F9rVJ.png

We know od another party member without meeting him. He's like a bodybuilder.

8eFUD.png
iAIQG.png
m1hQA.png
Oxm6i.png
TzOG7.png

Dun, dun, dun...

gHD6j.png
AMJyc.png
Spn8O.png

Kefka and his minions are sadistic monsters and they burn the castle.

fvtkA.png
btJ4W.png
WzSCx.png

But Edgar and co. flee and the castle dives in the sand.

Bplxu.png
oZtuP.png
vAREe.png

Terra casts Fire and the men start doing stupid things.

oYMCW.png
TZmgd.png
dSV8d.png

Our next target is the returners hideout, but there are some obstacles between it and us.

HKDJ5.png
Y3XBY.png

Like this cave. Fresh air...

QWN80.png
5CqL7.png
zaxr6.png
YcHGH.png

South Figaro, our first real town. Let's go shopping! Those shoes are a godsend, now I can walk at a decent speed. And we meet another character.

nuMsU.png
SwFAI.png

We visit a lonely little house on the prairie where Sabin lives.

NJcrp.png
UihdX.png

Next place, Mount Kolts. Since Terra is the only magic user, we only need a sleeping bag to cure everyone (using Cure on Edgar and Locke before using it).

xo9ZG.png
OAZki.png

A man blocks the path, he's Vargas, Duncan's evil son! In the battle's first part, he's guarded by two bears and our characters have to slain them before attacking him.

7lxrZ.png
G0Hqc.png
mTOYh.png

Second part, Sabin appears, Vargas kicks out the other three from the battle and Sabin kills him.

T2ksR.png

New party member!

Interdimensional Rift, part 2:

After beating Catastrophe, it's time to leave the basement. The damsel rescued is no damsel at all.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_122-1.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_126-1.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_128-1.png

Demon of the Rift: Halicarnassus
or: The only one I had problems with

Starting this battle as a frog is highly encouraged, so that this is the before picture and not the after. Alternately, you could go with ribbons (or Genji Gloves) to be immune to it in the first place.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_130-1.png

Halicarnassus reacts to summons by killing someone. He also casts dispel, and the follow-up Holy also kills someone. Reviving someone that died with phoenix is a terrible idea in this scenario.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_133.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_134.png

Attempt #2 used the old standby of Carbuncle + Aeroga.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_135.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_137.png

He helped a bit with Holy. 5/7 eliminated, but no time to rest...
FinalFantasyVAdvance_139.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_141.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_144.png

Demon of the Rift: Twintania
or: The Book of Magick, Vol. XIV

Twintania has the following strategies:
a) Use magic and be prepared to reflect Megaflare, or
b) Use physical attacks and be prepared to absorb Tidal Wave (not shown), or
c) Do as the in-game book suggests and use an instant death move when charging Gigaflare.

Here's strategy A, which also made use of Aeroga since I came in with Reflect Rings. Twintania is nowhere near as strong as Bahamut, so this probably won't kill you even if it gets through.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_151-1.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_153.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_160.png

Here's strategy C. Odin's done enough work in here, so Catoblepas was used.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_163.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_164-1.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_167-1.png

Beating Twintania lets you move into the last section, the only part to use unique tiles. Time to meet an old friend who owes me a favor.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_169-1.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_170-1.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_172.png

With the Thief Knife, I don't have to mourn the loss of potential Genji equipment anymore.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_179.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_180.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_194-1.png

This one I don't have the patience for.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_196-1.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_197-1.png

Demon of the Rift: Necrophobe
or: Farewell, Gilgamesh!

Necrophobe does nothing initially, and the barriers reflect spells of of each other at you. Just for fun, they all start with Holy or Flare. This can be fatal by itself, so I get Mighty Guard up ASAP.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_202.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_203.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_206.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_209.png

Heroes' Rime + Bahamut ends all of the barriers before they get another turn. The missing one got jumped on before the first spell.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_214.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_215.png

With the barriers gone, Necrophobe is weak to everything, although he does have some fairly strong magic of his own. Not shown: A Jump for 9999 damage, the only time I hit the damage cap in this game.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_221.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_222.png

Gilgamesh shows up to give me one final thing before the end.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_229.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_230.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_235.png

All that's left is the tree himself.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_252.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_253.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_254.png

Final Demon of the Rift: Exdeath
or: Why Bard isn't a dud pick in the Job Fiesta

Exdeath, tree form. Usually the shorter part, I spend a few minutes doing nothing but healing and waiting on Heroes' Rime. Eventually I dedide I've had enough and finish him off.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_255.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_269.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_270.png

Neo Exdeath. For once, he's not lying.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_277.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_281.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_282.png

The relentless onslaught continues. He gets to use exactly zero special abilities. No Almagest, no Grand Cross, no Vacuum Wave, no Delta Attack, no Meteor.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_283.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_284.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_286.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_288.png

FinalFantasyVAdvance_290.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_291.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_294.png

Final Party:
FinalFantasyVAdvance_329.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_330.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_331.png
FinalFantasyVAdvance_332.png

Fin.
FinalFantasyVAdvance_324.png

Labadal

I've completed 204 quests in FFTA2 now. I was getting a little bored at 180-185 completed missions, but I'm now feeling it again. I unlocked Adelle's special job, but have yet to try it. Other than that, not much to say. Oh, I love elementalists, they are very handy. I might start using a guide soon so I don't have to search aimlessly for new quests, but as long as I'm getting new ones, I will not use a guide.

I've realized that having a Chocobo Racing disc and a PSP mean that I don't have to wait for it to not ever hit the English PSN. I haven't played it in forever, though...

Ourobolus

Banned
All right, I've been taking boss screenshots for FF3FJF. Hasn't been terribly rough...honestly at this point the only thing I think I'll have issues with is keeping up with the damage of Could of Darkness, but I think with Elixirs I should be ok...

ANYWAY

Boss Montage!
Ff3jap0000.png

Kraken went down easily, and I gained my third job! Conjurer! Wait...goddammit. Well, Conjurers aren't terrible. They're certainly better than Bard, though. They have some useful summons, but because whenever they summon something it will do one of two things, it's a bit unpredictable. However, I will say that summoning Shiva or Ramuh for full-enemy-party paralyze/sleep was a great help in some of those dungeons where the enemies split!
Ff3jap0017.png
Ff3jap0020.png

Goldor was cake. Considering he's weak to physical and my Conjurer has literally NOTHING to cast (I didn't stock up beforehand, and my ship is chained to the damn island), it didn't matter.
Garuda, on the other hand, was a pain in the ass. If you take a look at the two fights, you can see I did a little bit of levelling over in the Ancient Cave (where you find the Enterprise), since keeping up with Garuda's Lightning attack without a healer was going to be a pain. After a bit of grinding though, he went down easily.
Ff3jap0023.png
Ff3jap0024.png
Ff3jap0025.png

Odin wasn't too rough...his Atom Edge hurt, but with Titan pounding away while everyone attacked, he went down one turn before I did.
Leviathan wasn't as difficult as I remember. Titan was great for single-enemy attacks, and his Tsunami really didn't do a ton of damage.
Bahamut was REALLY simple...one of Odin's summons is to cast Reflect on the entire party, and Mega Flare hit Bahamut for 2500+. Unfortunately it only seems to either last two turns or one magic spell, because he killed Refio with the next one. Luckily he went down easy.
Ff3jap0026.png

Ff3jap0027.png

Oh god, I love Haste. Bahamut has two skills - Insta-kill an enemy, or cast Haste on the entire party. So good.
Ff3jap0028.png
Ff3jap0029.png

Almost to the last crystal! Haste wins again!
Ff3jap0030.png

I set up my random number generator to take into account Sage and Ninja, but ended up rolled Shaman/Devout instead. Not sure how I feel about it...I like that I can heal, and having Cure4 will save me from using some Elixirs in the final battle, but I did just lose some damage ability from not getting a Warlock, Summoner, Sage, or Ninja. Oh well.
Time to go stock up, then.
Ff3jap0031.png

Almost there! I get the feeling I'll probably need some more levels for the last boss, but getting there shouldn't be too bad.

Heropon

4osyc.png
AsicT.png

Our characters arrive at the returners hideout and Terra meets Banon.

RHgfP.png
Is68e.png

Terra has to decide if she wants to join the returners. While she is thinking, she looks inside the jars.

PKwIG.png
jIXo8.png

Terra refuses, but it isn't because she doesn't want...

owJz5.png
CiD0U.png
6LrpH.png
G80de.png

A poor returner returns seriously injured. South Figaro have been seized by the Empire and Locke has to go there. Terra and the others decide to go to Narshe through the Lete River. The returners bribe Terra with a Genji Gauntlet thank to refusing their proposal.

fkSi8.png
dLyrr.png
2pCgA.png

Escort Mission, the RPG: If BANON dies, you're out of luck. I don't understand this, BANON gets KO'ed when his HP reachs 0, he isn't forced to cast a powerful spell that spends more MP than he has and there isn't a QTE to fail in which he has a cinematic death.

wtlBl.png
Gxf8P.png
utx42.png

Banon's healing ability is very nice.

3aV9m.png
DepwY.png
9CvKM.png
WM7Qh.png

It's time for this game's Gilgamesh: ULTROS!
The strategy is to put everyone in the back row so he can't kill them with his tentacle. There's a bug in the evasion stat, so no one can evade physical attacks. That makes the blind status useless, and shields almost worthless (the shields that grant immunities keep that effect, so one can equip them and don't feel cheated). This makes me think that I wasted money in some shields while I was at South Figaro. Ultros flees at the end of the battle.

mHdBt.png
R8yV7.png

Sabin jumps to the river thinking he can beat the octopus, but he is separated from the group.

Next chapter: Sabin's adventures.

Jucksalbe

Banned
There are (several?) fan translations for the Famicom version. But there's no offically translated 2D version.

Edit:

I edited the game directly. If people really want it, I can do that tomorrow.

Is there a tutorial somewhere how you can do something like that? I'd love to take a look at some things.

Seda

Replaying through FFXIII...first time since it released

yeah I know, but I am getting Xiii-2 delivered for free AND my ps3 was stolen so I am "replacing my save file", enough motivation to play it again

Until you get to PalamPolum the game is very meh but the story arch around Palampolum (which takes like 3-4 meaty hours to get through if you fight lot) was actually better than I remembered it. Yeah the progression is still very A-> Sub-boss -> B -> Event -> C -> Boss -> D -> Event, but limiting the class options at the time changes the strategy of the different encounters depending on who's in your party for each.

Also, reading up on the Datalog whenever it updates helps. I was never really "lost" the first time through but even the average prose in the datalog still more clearly illustrates some of the little nuances that are lost in the cutscenes (like some of the little complexities in Lightning/Hopes' relationship before the "I've been so blind" cutscene near Carbuncle)

At Nautilus now...i remember hating this part.

Edit: Uh..this is Khold, I guess Seda left himself logged in :/

Ourobolus

Banned
Replaying through FFXIII...first time since it released

I started doing that as well. I'm actually up to Chapter 11, decided to do some hunts (maybe I'll get the Platinum this time).

But, you know, going through the game skipping the cutscenes (I watched them all the first time), it's still pretty quick. I think it took me like 15 hours to make it to Ch. 11. I really enjoy the battle system, so it really was fun to play. I don't really know what that says about the game, or my personal tastes, but still...

Aeana

There are (several?) fan translations for the Famicom version. But there's no offically translated 2D version.Edit:Is there a tutorial somewhere how you can do something like that? I'd love to take a look at some things.

It depends a lot on platform, and then on how that game stores its font. A lot of games for 8- and 16-bit systems have the glyphs in a standard graphics format viewable with a graphics viewer like yyChr or similar apps. If the font is proportional, then there's often a width table stored somewhere as well. In Golden Sun on GBA, for example, the width is stored as the first byte in the glyph, so you have to edit that part in a hex editor. When it comes to SE's portable games, most of them share the same font format that was figured out by someone else, which is what I used to edit those. DS font editing is by far the easiest, since most games use Nintendo's font format, NFTR, which is editable with NFTR Editor. Absolutely the most painless process one could imagine.

I've been doing this sort of thing ever since I decided I hated the Dragon Warrior NES font, so I've run into tons of different formats... if there's something in specific you want to look at, maybe I can help.

Prozel

I'm looking for a wallpaper with all the well known FF emblems. No more, no less. From FF I to XIV including X-2 and XIII-2.

Anyone?

Levyne

Banned
I started doing that as well. I'm actually up to Chapter 11, decided to do some hunts (maybe I'll get the Platinum this time).

But, you know, going through the game skipping the cutscenes (I watched them all the first time), it's still pretty quick. I think it took me like 15 hours to make it to Ch. 11. I really enjoy the battle system, so it really was fun to play. I don't really know what that says about the game, or my personal tastes, but still...

Yeah, I'm watching the scenes because I want FFXIII-2 to make as much sense as possible. Sazh, Fang, Hope and Snow are well acted imo but the later two's characters are just a bit thin, can't blame the va's there. Lighting is ok if bland. Vanille has no consistency in va performance or in general.

"Fun to play" is the only requirement for choosing to play something or not for me. I can play games with terrible stories or production values (not involving gameplay).

ATF487

Love this thread. I started a playthrough of FF7 almost 2 years ago now and I'm picking it back up, I'm in the middle of the second disc now.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I've been doing this sort of thing ever since I decided I hated the Dragon Warrior NES font, so I've run into tons of different formats... if there's something in specific you want to look at, maybe I can help.

I was just wondering what people use at a starting point to modify roms. How did people figure out what bytes to edit for stuff like the font size? Or let's say I would want to do a translation of an NES game, how is this usually done? Disassembly?

Aeana

I was just wondering what people use at a starting point to modify roms. How did people figure out what bytes to edit for stuff like the font size? Or let's say I would want to do a translation of an NES game, how is this usually done? Disassembly?

Oh, well there are certainly myriad tutorials about that subject. I suggest taking a look at the documents section of romhacking.net, they've got lots of stuff.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Oh, well there are certainly myriad tutorials about that subject. I suggest taking a look at the documents section of romhacking.net, they've got lots of stuff.
You make it sound so negative.
I didn't even notice Romhacking has a documents section up until now. There really is a lot of stuff to wade through. Maybe I find something directed at computer scientists.

Aeana

You make it sound so negative.
I didn't even notice Romhacking has a documents section up until now. There really is a lot of stuff to wade through. Maybe I find something directed at computer scientists.

Hmm? I didn't mean to make it sound negative at all. I just thought you were talking about font hacking, not general ROM hacking. There is loads of stuff available for that. I've learned a fair bit through my personal pursuits so I might be able to help in that area as well, but maybe not a lot. For example, I managed to hack and translate all of the books and quests in the Trails in the Sky games, but I'm still struggling getting all of the dialog into the right format. But it's something I'm still working on since I'm dedicated toward getting these games in English one way or another.

Jucksalbe

Banned
The font hacking just made me think about it. It's not like I had an immediate application in mind (e.g. it's not like I could translate anything, maybe from English to German, but nobody needs that), I'm just interested in how it works. Once I know that, I can still think of something.

For example, I managed to hack and translate all of the books and quests in the Trails in the Sky games, but I'm still struggling getting all of the dialog into the right format. But it's something I'm still working on since I'm dedicated toward getting these games in English one way or another.
Did you lose all hope for XSeed at this point? What exactly is this problem you're having? I'd love to help if I can.

Aeana

The font hacking just made me think about it. It's not like I had an immediate application in mind (e.g. it's not like I could translate anything, maybe from English to German, but nobody needs that), I'm just interested in how it works. Once I know that, I can still think of something.

Did you lose all hope for XSeed at this point? What exactly is this problem you're having? I'd love to help if I can.
I just haven't located any size or pointer table in the dialog files, so I've located all of the dialog via scanning for control codes and stuff instead. It works fine for extracting, but putting it back in (especially if it's a different size than the original) is not so easy.

As for faith in XSEED, well, there's just no telling what is going to happen for certain, so I'm just doing exploratory work for now to prepare for the worst case.

Top Bottom