• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of Final Fantasy's 25th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

Ourobolus

Banned
Forbidden Land Eureka was cake. I'll post some pics once I make it to the top. I'll make a save before moving to the Dark World, then go from there. :)

Heropon

With all that hack talk, I tried to change a couple of things in the text of FFV advance, but the data structure is pretty strange and I couldn't find what I was looking for.

pic_0012.png

Turns out I'm still pretty good at this game. Who knew?

Two things stand out with this game:
1) The story, while not terribly complicated, is much more substantial than one would expect from a racer.
2) The music, which is trying to be a "best of" for the first 6 games in the series. Here's the intro, which uses the chocobo theme.

I think it's good enough to show off, so I'll be getting to that soon.

Psxphile

Aw, man.

Went back to FFIII DS expecting to clear the game finally. After Xande I switched out my Ninja, Magus and Black Belt to Dark Knight, Summoner and Viking respectively in order to take advantage of the Crystal equipment, and to play around with Summons. Managed to take out all four bosses around CoD, and each time I found a Ribbon I switched Dark Knight and Viking back to Ninja and Black Belt. With what I figured would be my final team I went up to CoD and started the battle w/ some new found allies. I made sure to keep my Ninja (Luneth) in the back row because his defense was still rather lacking and I was going to spam Shuriken.

But then he gets taken out by Lightning spam by a Hasted Tentacle before Refia the Devout could party heal. The rest of the battle was me in damage control as CoD wittled away my defenses and one-shotted freshly-revived party members until I was left with only Arc the Summoner. I try desperately to keep him alive but CoD and cohorts continually leave me at critical health by the end of every turn. With no way to revive anyone else to where they can survive one round, I cast one last "F.U.!" Leviathan summon before collapsing in a heap.

I... think I'm done for now.

This should hopefully work. Apply it to the US version of the game.

Yoink!

I think I know what I'm playing next (after I finish The After Years, of course).

Ourobolus

Banned
And away we go!
Ff3jap0003.png

Let's do this. I'm fully aware that the jobs and weapons down here won't do me any good (apart from the Eldest Staff), but dammit, there are White Magic spells at the bottom!
Ff3jap0004.png
Ff3jap0005.png

Ff3jap0006.png
Ff3jap0008.png

Ff3jap0007.png

Yay! Sage and Ninja! Oh wait. :(
Ff3jap0009.png

Sweet, finally got my last spells. WWind is actually pretty useful against the Zande Clones later.
Ff3jap0010.png

Whoops, missed one.
Back to Sylx Tower!
Ff3jap0011.png

After a couple runs to collect items and return them to the Fat Chocobo, I'm ready for Zande. Meteo sucks, but eventually he goes down.
Ff3jap0012.png
Ff3jap0013.png

Ff3jap0014.png
Ff3jap0015.png

The last 4 bosses are all right. 2-Headed Dragon gives me some issues, but as long as you use Life constantly, it's all right. Ahriman gave me some trouble too with his constant party-wide spells, but as long as I kept up the heals, it was all right.
Ff3jap0016.png
Ff3jap0018.png

Finally the bastard goes down. Took me awhile, but here's the battle order:
Turn 1: Haste on all w/ Bahamut with Conjurer...everyone else attack
Turn 2: Attack with Thief/Monk, Elixir on Monk with Conjurer, Cure4 on Thief with Shaman
Turn 3: Attack with Thief/Monk, Elixir on Shaman with Conjurer, Cure4 on Conjurer with Shaman
Turn 4: Repeat turns 2 and 3 ad nauseum.
Ff3jap0019.png
Ff3jap0021.png

Ff3jap0022.png
Ff3jap0032.png

Not the most exciting final battle, but it's good to know that a Four Job Fiesta is at least possible. Other than the Giant Rat, it wasn't that much of a pain in the ass!
Ff3jap0033.png

Ourobolus

Banned
Wow, good job. I always have a really tough time with Dark Cloud with 2 Ninjas and 2 of the ubermage or whatever.
Thanks!
I did spend some time leveling in Bahamut's Cave before I went to get my last job, but after that (lv 48 or so?) it was all right. I knew that Dark Cloud would be doing 1500-2200 to each character, so getting at least 2x that was my priority.

EDIT: Holy shit, welcome back?

Red Scarlet

12 is definitely more Star Wars-ish than 2, I'd think. Yeah you're a group of rebels fighting an emperor, but that's about it (would the Warship be the 'Death Star' or would the tornado?). FF6 has a rebellion and emperor too. I'm trying to remember what's all Star-Warsy in 12, probably in the storyline stuff I guess.

Natetan

12 is definitely more Star Wars-ish than 2, I'd think. Yeah you're a group of rebels fighting an emperor, but that's about it (would the Warship be the 'Death Star' or would the tornado?). FF6 has a rebellion and emperor too. I'm trying to remember what's all Star-Warsy in 12, probably in the storyline stuff I guess.

Hmm, but i wasnt comparing star wars.

Also Darknight /Leonheart and Gabranth are no 2 enemies that turn to your side for the final battle.

Heropon

xgiD4.png

HI9SR.png
FNLpf.png
JMlBB.png
e3ccC.png

Sabin ends up near a house with a crazy geezer inside. He recruits Shadow to ease his journey.

qgYwN.png
atn88.png

He reaches an imperial camp. They are trying to invade Doma.

v66u7.png
Bm2lw.png
MsneA.png
uxkmd.png

But Doma has a master tactician in his ranks, Cyan Garamonde. Thanks to his plan and his oversized sword, the imperial troops flee.

AIZzJ.png
wuaUf.png
HODVL.png

The general at charge of the operation has to return to the imperial capital. He's a really nice guy.

V5Yil.png
CIE9N.png

Kefka has his own evil plans...

UuvTw.png
BkJnr.png
s8YfU.png

Sabin and Shadow try to stop him, but they are delayed by some soldiers, and Kefka manages to poison the river. This is an interesting poison, it goes countercurrent.

DdQhB.png
Jxp2H.png
OXfVS.png
nR0N0.png

Kefka's evil plan works and everyone dies except Cyan and a sentry. I wonder why they didn't drink and the others could.

7IgcM.png
OamnF.png
3l5GB.png
7BO4k.png

Cyan wents berserk and attacks the imperial troops. He and Sabin join and escape the camp with some nice toys.

6iTzo.png
okl6o.png

Their next stop is a mysterious forest...

HuaXH.png
2iKXW.png

...with a mysterious train. When they want to exit, it's too late.

RwBPM.png
zarPd.png
6xLgg.png
5ipYI.png

They are surrounded by ghosts, but they manage to escape and rid themselves of them.

txmRX.png
NH17C.png
IC5ZY.png

The reward for all their troubles is a dinner, and an earring. Female party member 2 is going to be happy when I give it to her. This makes me think that all party members share a hyperdimensional bag where they can borrow things others have taken.

EWdym.png
VG7BU.png

The legendary Siegfried appears, attacks, gets blocked and a dog beats him. The reward for beating him is a cherry and he steals the content of the chest.

ilUFB.png
8mG4j.png
SVWJC.png
qwgd3.png

And they finally go to settle things directly with the train. As an undead, it dies with a single phoenix down.

xYNJ8.png
C3dgf.png
tVYiF.png

Our heroes have to cross some falls if they want to go to Narshe., and they jump.

jD2yv.png
e06Ti.png

As in all places they go, monsters appear.

Xt8yb.png
gsqCr.png
v5XV3.png

Luckily, they survive, and another character appears.

hSg0b.png
HBkD5.png
zvpXL.png
iGObl.png

Before they can recruit him, they go to Mobliz to buy his favourite food. And thank to it, they catch him.

wdPEj.png
fkDnh.png
lR00G.png
Wye60.png

Before going to the Serpent Trench, Gau learns the Stray Cat rage. Everyone says that it's pretty good. In the trench, they discover a cave with a chest that contains a green beret (increases the HP).

kaGzS.png
2jBrX.png
7396v.png
KlNox.png

After their submarine adventures, they reach a town where they can go directly to South Figaro.

Talking about South Figaro, that's where the next chapter takes place, Locke's adventures.

Ourobolus

Banned
So I'm done with FF1-3...what should I tackle first in the SNES era? I'll hold off on FF5 until the FJF later, so...4 or 6 (6 is my favorite, and 4 is pretty much my least favorite)?

Heropon

PzKDj.png
1fJAy.png
qWeBc.png
LdTCf.png

Mission: Escape South Figaro and go to Narshe. The first step is stealing some clothes. No one dares to call Locke a thief.

YMGtD.png
SJXle.png
vXOAH.png

Thanks to Locke's adventuring skills, he can go to another zone of the town. Now it's the time to get a new outfit.

sNkZ7.png
FGyyF.png
oyYri.png
GISdx.png

This step is like the last, but in another situation.

CcOiJ.png
xJBVj.png
8SMMY.png
N60g6.png

And after a series of events, we can go to the town's mansion. Clocks in this game are pretty generous.

Ndsaq.png
ED6A3.png
VWdGv.png
42R6V.png

The secret passage we are looking for is in a wall behind a bookcase where the wind blows. In the mansion basement, we find a former imperial general, Celes Chere.

aJKLS.png
dCu4Q.png
PtFbR.png
U3NFD.png

Locke escapes with her after crossing a series of passages.

mjqIr.png
Av2FZ.png
w9u8M.png
bigf4.png

In the cave between South Figaro and the Narshe area, they find a killer robot. Thanks to Rune, the powerful magic attacks don't connect and Locke can kill it fast thanks to the Genji Glove.

Red Scarlet

So I'm done with FF1-3...what should I tackle first in the SNES era? I'll hold off on FF5 until the FJF later, so...4 or 6 (6 is my favorite, and 4 is pretty much my least favorite)?

Find someone to play it 2-player with. I had fun doing that with Aeana. I'd offer but I've got that on backlog to play 4-6 with someone else.

Ourobolus

Banned
Find someone to play it 2-player with. I had fun doing that with Aeana. I'd offer but I've got that on backlog to play 4-6 with someone else.

That'd be an option too, I guess. Other than locally playing on my SNES, I'd think the easiest way to do it would be over the network emulation, like ZSNES?

I was starting up the PSP version, but I'll see if I go this route.

Chocobo Racing, Chapter 1
pic_0013.png

The story is divided into chapters, and I think I'll refrain from commentary on the story sections, instead reserving commentary for mechanics and music.

The soundtrack is mostly character themes and track themes, borrowed from previous Final Fantasies. Because I'm not superhuman, I do have to look some of them up to say which one. Almost everything else (menu themes, opening/ending themes) is some variant of the Chocobo theme.

Anyway, the story. Cid's theme is Cid's theme from FF4. Chocobo's theme is... the chocobo theme.
pic_0014.png
pic_0015.png
pic_0018.png

The first chapter is just a time trial on the game's first track. (Music: Chocobo Theme) There's not yet much point to the character & ability selection screens. Not that it matters, as Dash is one of the game's best abilities anyway.
pic_0019.png
pic_0020.png

You can get a starting line boost by pressing square as the word Go appears. Not much else to see here.
pic_0021.png
pic_0025.png
pic_0026.png

Chapter End.
pic_0028.png
pic_0030.png

Mandoric

Banned
Would anyone else who still plays FFXI be interested in rolling new characters somewhere and playing through Rank 6 the "old-fashioned" way for the thread?

Chocobo Racing, Chapter 2
pic_0033.png

Mog's theme is based on the moogle theme from FF5. The track uses unused music from FF6.
pic_0035.png
pic_0036.png

Chapter two is the first race you can actually lose. If you don't beat Mog, you have to retry. It also introduces the first item, which is "haste". As you might expect, it makes you go faster. You can hold three magic stones at once, and they are used in a last in, first out manner. Collecting multiple stones of the same type (usually) increases the effect, for haste this just means lasting a lot longer.
pic_0038.png
pic_0039.png
pic_0044.png

Plot appears, and chapter end.
pic_0047.png
pic_0048.png
pic_0050.png

Natetan

Waay back in the day I bought chocobo racing for super cheap as a secret santa gift, but I never got to play it myself. It looks like a really great game actually, and I really like the music remixes in the game. Seems they really took the original material and really tweeked it in the right places to be faithful to the original while letting it be something different (Cids theme sounds alot like Super Mario RPG). I say that I guess because I don't really like the way they remix alot of the old music, especially like in crisis core.

Anyway, too bad I never played Chocobo racing. It looks great!

Mandoric

Banned
Does "old-fashioned" include waiting 12 hours for a group to go kill the archlich?

Touche.

I was thinking just something other than FoV -> lesser colibri with maybe a lucky SMNburn, but apparently all of -those- are outdated and the new hotness is being a chest slave in Abyssea. Showing the thread that wonderful spark of discovery,
Korroloka after a terrible time in the Dunes.

Chocobo Racing: Chapter 3
pic_0052.png

Golem's theme is one of my favorite pieces from this game, and it's based on FF2's Ancient Castle. The ruins course is the first piece mixed into unrecognizability, but it's FF3's boss battle theme.
pic_0053.png
pic_0056.png

Once you finish a racer's chapter, you can use them against future opponents. Mog's ability, Flap, lets you fly, ignoring track conditions and ice. (There are characters that can do this all the time.) Not mentioned in the manual is that it also lets you fly over fireballs.
pic_0057.png

Speaking of which, chapter three introduces a new magic stone: Fire. Picking up one stone shoots a fireball straight, it stops if it hits a wall. 2 fires a larger fireball that homes in on the closest racer ahead of you. 3 fires a giant fireball that hits everyone in front of you. All of these are useless if you're in first place. Golem is a better racer than Mog, so this is quite a bit closer.
pic_0061.png

Starting to form a party, and Chapter End.
pic_0064.png
pic_0065.png

jaxword

The dynamics between 4 new characters (kinda spoilers)
Nooj, Baralai, Gippal, and Paine - the whole crimson sphere sidequest that takes places over the course of the game -
are probably the best parts of the story in my opinion.

If FFX-2 had been a Traditional FF game, the three guys would've joined the party and that would have DEFINITELY made the game far more popular. Even if only ONE guy joined, it would've shut the "Hurr I ain't playing no gay girl dressup game" guys up.

Heropon

TPUJZ.png
v3oyo.png
ePFaN.png

Actually, the going to Narshe is easy.

gv7Ui.png
ZYVry.png
42toX.png

BANON and his cohorts aren't welcome in this town, so they have to find an alternative route.

qVrtc.png
HoULs.png
7pKaz.png
N1d3I.png

The party reunites with a couple of recruitments. We have to defend the Esper from the Empire.

Yf2mZ.png
6vmdM.png
fmZkA.png

The groups are:
-Main group: Celes, Edgar and Sabin. Powerful attacks and Runic to deal with Kefka's magics.
-Secondary group: Terra, Locke and Cyan. It has a Cure user!
-Gau: I know Gau can be good, but I don't like uncontrollable characters.

x3snh.png
M056u.png

Anecdotes: Those soldiers ganged on poor Locke, and that's the main group fighting the last of Kefka's minions.

LIYpk.png
PcStO.png
LERlH.png

Kefka can't do anything with Ice2 thanks to Runic. Peace Ring, oh the irony!

LMkFq.png
cIpAp.png
PDVjl.png
DeaVV.png

We can investigate the Esper now. Terra contacts with it and she transforms into an extrange being.

s7bWE.png
dCyOn.png

Let's find her! I don't like Locke very much, but I use him so he has a decent level for the mandatory parts with him (and he can steal).

ATF487

Man, reading through this thread has almost single-handedly rekindled my interest in games. I'm almost done with FF7 and I think I'm going to start IV again. I've never beat it though.

I really wish I could play the PSP version but mine died a long time ago. Is it worth playing the Advance version even if there are bugs?

Natetan

Just got to the world of ruin in FFVI. I used gau on the floating continent. With stray cat he whooped some but. I also go sabins fire skill really early, so was really. cleaning up together with Edgar's flash. Still some really tough enemies there.

jaxword

Man, reading through this thread has almost single-handedly rekindled my interest in games. I'm almost done with FF7 and I think I'm going to start IV again. I've never beat it though.

I really wish I could play the PSP version but mine died a long time ago. Is it worth playing the Advance version even if there are bugs?

I would not play the advance version. The ATB bugs are random--some people see few, some people see a ton, and it can ruin the experience.

I'd really try for the far superior PSP version, or the DS version (which is much, much harder).

FGMPR

Banned
I'm playing IV complete on Vita at the moment for the first time. I'm enjoying it so far (4 hours in), but I've found it a little harder than I was expecting (I was expecting a complete walk-over, which is what I've seen it described as multiple times). It looks fantastic on the OLED screen and the main character seems to be the most interesting in an FF game I've played since FFVIII.

I'm just annoyed that FFVI isn't up in the Aus PSN store, yet FFV is which is just too archaic in its current form for me to really enjoy. That and Crisis Core need to go up on PSN :(

Chocobo Racing, Chapter 4
pic_0067.png

Goblin uses the pirate theme from FF5, which is quite fitting. His track uses Mount Gulg from FF1, which is a bit odd, since the volcano itself made it in as a track (although renamed in the English version).
pic_0075.png
pic_0076.png
pic_0077.png

Thanks to the rather obvious shortcut on this course, it's pretty easy. Ice puts a patch of ice on the track, lots of patches of ice on the track, or makes everyone lose control and explode when they hit a wall. (No, I don't know how that makes sense.) Blizzaga is one of the best attack moves in the game, but doesn't stop opponents immediately; It's possible to cross the finish line while the attack is occurring.

Tactics for this one worth mentioning: Use any and all magic stones as soon as you get them, or Goblin will use his ability (mug) to take one from you. This makes fire even less useful than usual.
pic_0079.png
pic_0082.png

If this were a normal FF game, this would be a full party. Chapter End.
pic_0083.png
pic_0086.png

ATF487

I would not play the advance version. The ATB bugs are random--some people see few, some people see a ton, and it can ruin the experience.

I'd really try for the far superior PSP version, or the DS version (which is much, much harder).

I took this to heart and looked for my old, busted fat PSP..and found it! I still have to turn it on with a knife because the switch broke, but it works fine otherwise, so I bought the PSP version of FFIV on PSN. It looks so good

Ourobolus

Banned
Man, playing through FFIV, and even with how pretty the PSP version looks, it's still as boring as ever. Just got to the Tower of Zot, and the dungeon before it with the Dark Elf is usually where I start to feign interest.

Onward!

(just installed a screenshot tool finally, will post them later)

Chocobo Racing, Chapter 5:
pic_0089.png

In which great ideas are had. In addition to the Character theme (Mysidia, FF4) and track theme (Mysidian Tower, FF2), this chapter is the first appearance of the "spooky" theme which is the intro to the FF3 Final boss theme. Stay tuned for the rest of that one later.
pic_0091.png
pic_0092.png
pic_0095.png

Tactics notes: Lightning is the new one here. It ranges from easy-to-avoid bolt to "instant clusters of lightning on everyone". This is the element you want to use to stop opponents without any sort of delay.

Unfortunately, this chapter introduces the black magician's ability: Magic Plus. This ability automatically upgrades a carried magic stone, as long as the user doesn't have 3 already. In order to not get murdered by this, the best choice is Goblin's ability, Mug (as Goblin, so you don't get mugged yourself).
pic_0100.png
pic_0101.png
pic_0106.png

Not a surprise, and Chapter End.
pic_0108.png
pic_0109.png

Heropon

N2iHE.png
RgE8D.png
GW6vZ.png

We need to use Figaro Castle to follow Terra. There is a pretty good item in there and a little of backstory.

RPfFu.png
6kKzV.png

We all live in a yellow submarine
yellow submarine, yellow submarine
we all live in a yellow submarine
yellow submarine, yellow submarine

hErZZ.png
2gI8v.png
ZlKPF.png

And more backstory at the other side of the desert.

0jEvX.png
qa5ou.png

But we're interested in Terra right now, so we follow a series of clues that lead us to...

O88vw.png
pweuM.png
lDcZB.png

Zozo. Thanks to the gentle inhabitants of this city and their clues, we can get a chainsaw for Edgar.

uybAI.png
IUaQ7.png

What happened to that woman? The pavement doesn't end before reaching the building, suspicious...

GV5yx.png
4S4Qk.png
EyFpi.png

Locke, you are a meanie...

UeFAn.png
hVsap.png
EcHEa.png

Another polite person, well, another liar. This boss, mmmmmmm... he uses potions in the battle, summons iron knuckles and Locke can get a Sneak Ring.

cXB15.png
SgDAS.png
izxCj.png

Our characters meet the Espers. Just when they thought this game was following FF4 steps in the ability growth system, they get some magicites.

kf8Zi.png
dIt6B.png

Our next mission is to save the Espers in Vector. And the chosen ones are the same people as before. Good luck, everyone.

Heropon

zMLs9.png
bZuMf.png
fyJwt.png
BN0IQ.png

Back at Jidoor, a happy coincidence happens and the party thinks it's their chance.

jQqnx.png
iC1oB.png
seIg2.png
zm5cs.png

The plan takes place in the Opera House, and not only Celes sings well, but she has the same timbre as Maria. Maybe they're sisters. The octopus of the last time wants to foil the plan, even if he only knows half the party.

v0fOE.png
oj1MX.png

The final preparations take place. Break a leg, "Maria"!

xLyH6.png
YyE8C.png
vdUk2.png
6F39W.png

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫

Kl9pO.png
ashYl.png
eskzJ.png
jPHQ9.png

The show goes on. Ultros, as a good villain tries to use the old trick of the weight.

67fla.png
WvNSC.png
mDQYy.png
0BVni.png

The party tries to stop him, but they end falling. "You were almost a Celes sandwich!"

CQBnQ.png
qWqLr.png
NTrQk.png

Nothing will stop this from being a success! A battle against Ultros starts. I think he can do Imp (Kappa), but he didn't, so I'm not sure.

Cr1Wx.png
p1rgb.png
D2D2o.png
TWSZT.png

And the last part of the plan starts as Setzer appears and kidnaps Celes/Maria. After some Celes tricks the party manages to convince Setzer to carry them to Vector.

HUOnm.png
djbxo.png
kRGhi.png
JZ3g5.png

That thing that Setzer says... I think Selphie says it too, but I'm not sure. Let's storm the Empire capital!

1PMdZ.png
4OCr6.png
DDlZU.png
m9gf5.png

There are people trying to trick the characters everywhere, but also comrades.

LpDW0.png
Pnnp0.png
BQNzz.png
x2XCb.png

Magitek Factory: The enemies in here are resistant to physical attacks. But thanks to Edgar, Sabin and those nice elemental weapons unleashes, I don't have to use MP.

RbGJD.png
tmnPW.png
BFGQy.png
JaNxV.png

Boss Battle, Ifrit and Shiva: Obviously, he absorbs fire and is weak to ice. Shiva can appear and foil an attempt to freeze him, but no, she didn't do it.

Opz4X.png
ioCol.png

Another boss battle, Hein wannabe: He changes barrier, but who cares when one can use powerful non-elemental attacks?

Xjn6N.png
kxIHZ.png
ivjj6.png
qtMox.png

Finally, our loved characters reach the Esper containment zone, but Kefka appears, Celes saves them and blah, blah, blah...

DEZiD.png
ucUkM.png

Extreme escape adventure, mine cart edition.

JgYCK.png
7E67Z.png
NzUJG.png

After a few battle against some mobs, the boss appears. The secret is to kill the blades, so they don't overwhelm our lovely characters.

DgJpS.png
zhHuC.png
AUatB.png
mwTwm.png

The escape isn't finished. And another boss, the right crane is weak to thunder damage, so we'll take it out as soon as possible.

rlxrf.png
A9GW8.png
ZYEjB.png
7e0Bz.png

It's time to see Terra. We discover that she was product of a pregnancy dance between Madonna and Maduin.

More adventures in the next chapter!

Ourobolus

Banned
Damn Heropon, reading all of your posts makes me want to jump into FF6. Celes/Setzer/Edgar playthrough of course :)

This thread seems to be dying! Recruit others to the cause!

Aeana

Sorry that the thread is kind of on life support at the moment. Since I finished FF6, I'm taking a bit of a break before starting FF7. Most likely it'll be a month or so before I start it up, because I've got some other stuff going on right now.

rybrad

Anyone have a recommended version for FFII? It is the only game in the series I have never played so not sure what to go with.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Does anyone mind if I keep posting a summary every two pages (100ppp)? I would need two posts for the next one, so I can see that it might be more bothering than useful.

Top Bottom