• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

Roo

Yes, a Western developer whose reboot Metroid games didn't appeal to Japanese gamers is sure to revive Zelda in Japan!

I think what he meant with that statement is that
if the franchise is dead for the Japanese market
then Nintendo should focus to make it even more atractive to the western audience
and literally dismiss Japan from the checklist

Since Retro is a very talented developer group and is from the west it's almost a shoe in

Anth0ny

Yes, a Western developer whose reboot Metroid games didn't appeal to Japanese gamers is sure to revive Zelda in Japan!

uh, my point was Japan doesn't care about (console) Zelda anymore, so they should just shift focus to the Western audience.

Screw that. I want AAAAAA. That's all I play now, can't go back! :p

That's a high level of elitism.

How can I reach that level?

it's absolutely crazy the advantage they have if they play their cards right. And by cards I mean content (not 3rd party games you can get elsewhere), and price.

If they nail those 2 things, it's going to be a loooooooooooong year for sony/ms.

I would add a third that partially ties in with content and that's properly exploiting the feature set of the controller.

StevieP

Banned
I think an eDRAM pool for the CPU is out of the question. It may not even have a direct path to main memory; both GC and X360 go through the GPU for that.

http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/34683.wss
IBM said:
The all-new, Power-based microprocessor will pack some of IBM's most advanced technology into an energy-saving silicon package that will power Nintendo's brand new entertainment experience for consumers worldwide. IBM's unique embedded DRAM, for example, is capable of feeding the multi-core processor large chunks of data to make for a smooth entertainment experience.

Couple choice bolds for what to expect.

I agree, but honestly, I don't see that happening.
You know what I see happening?
A bastardized FPS Metroid game with a multiplayer focus. Nintendo's own Halo/Killzone/Call of Duty. it would sell millions, it would be great. But it wouldn't be Metroid.

And Nintendo wouldn't care about that. They already showed us with Other M how little they care for/understand Metroid.

We had Hunters on the DS already. It was like Quake with Metroid Prime character rejects. Controls were interesting but the game wasnt really Metroid.

guek

Banned
uh, my point was Japan doesn't care about (console) Zelda anymore, so they should just shift focus to the Western audience.

It's not as bad as all that. I don't see the connection between console zeldas not being all that popular in japan and the need to farm out the IP to a western developer. Even with its late gen blues and add-on requirement, SS did moderately well in the west. Twilight Princess did great. Having retro develop zelda isn't going to guarantee it's going to do gangbusters. I think nintendo is still capable of developing awesome zelda games in house.

Keep in mind though that this is coming from someone who holds TP as one of the best games of this gen and really enjoyed SS. Zelda does need a shot in the arm though. I'd be the first to admit a retro developed zelda would pique my interest but I don't think it's absolutely necessary for the franchise.

Terrell

Thanks blu.

A few reasons.

1. Sony did more to help MS than MS themselves did IMO. Sony launched a 500-600 dollar console. Which became a big deterrent to those that were looking for a powerful console. This led to the "Wii60" movement and sent early gen sales towards MS. Despite this, the PS3 is not far behind 360 even with the 360's one year head start.

2. They have no chance in Japan. This means they are dependent on two major markets that can easily be "won over" by Nintendo and/or Sony on top of those two owning Japan.

3. They had to convert to catering to non-gamers to get to where they are now. Nintendo learned first hand that this group will both not convert to becoming gaming enthusiast and are fickle. If there is any group that can be labeled as being about "old and busted" and "new hotness" it's this group. Any company that wants this group to buy in will have to do enough to justify for this group to make the purchase and stick with their product instead of moving to whatever thing is new.

So when looking at these things I can see this being a make or break gen for them coming up. As I mentioned I believe MS is in the best position to cater to both non-gamers and gaming enthusiasts, but if both Sony and Nintendo do well enough with those two groups it can seriously impact MS going forward and if they have a third gen of billions in operating losses, I can honestly see them wondering if a fourth gen is worth it.

I've said this in the past, as well. I get this feeling that when the 5 years are up, we'll be one company short going into the next generation, and BOTH companies are liable to do so, for obviously different reasons (one likely to do it by choice, the other likely by potential necessity), depending on how this gen actually plays out in full.

So the 360 is going to end up being the second most profitable video game home console of all time and you think Microsoft is going to abandon the business?

The out of control snowball rolling down the hill that is this thread just keeps getting bigger and more out of control by the day.

I love how our statements are out of control, but saying MS is actually making decent money for the 360, something that has been shown to be an inaccurate statement for FAR too long, is somehow the pinnacle of rationale. And that he went after bgassassin, of all people.

It's also funny that he told us the facts are available in any search, and when GameplayWhore goes and actually digs into the numbers, we find him nowhere in sight.

I will, however, need to deduct points for not trying to re-state his point after evidence he was wrong came to light.

I give this troll attempt a 7.5/10

The thing is that, as a Zelda fan, I don't want my favorite series to look outdated. With Wii U being underpowered compared to PS4/Xbox 720, if the new Zelda comes out in (let's say) 2016 it's going to look outdated again.

We haven't got a graphically up-to-date game in the series since Wind Waker...and that was almost a decade ago.
First of all, in a game like Zelda, graphics, and hardware in general, are very important as they affect the overall dynamic of the experience.

Also, I'm sorry but Nintendo (finally) going HD and PS360 quality graphics isn't enough when we talk about an unreleased console in 2012. And it certainly isn't going to be enough in 2015 or 2016.
Saying shit like this when we have yet to see a REAL GAME for WiiU, not to mention having NO frame of reference to how powerful MS and Sony's consoles will be is just fucking ludicrous, like it's set in stone. Hell, even the RUMORS make your last bolded comment out to be completely oblivious.

If this logic holds, Sony launched a year after the 360, so the 360 must have games that look like inferior pieces of shit compared to the games on the mighty PlaySta..... wait, what? Most of them look similar enough for most people not to care, you say?

Yeah, you might wanna sit on definitive comments like this, at least for now, until we know exactly how wide the power margin is.

One thing that we forget is how actively MS/Sony seek, care third party relations, I say this at the light of Kojima comments, Nintendo have a lot to prove this gen, if they don't get support from the start they will repeat the Wii cycle again, if a specific developer is not sure about Wii U (read Kojima), I think it's Nintendos job try to convince to get it on board. Sony/MS didn't get this massive support by waiting third parties, they go after them all the time.

I say Iwata should call Kojima personally, a say "what's wrong with you"

Sony and MS don't seek developer relations, this is a misconception... they seek PUBLISHER relations. Developers just sometimes quietly tow the line. This time around, I doubt many of them minded making HD stuff, though I bet some of them would have rather made games for Wii.

That's the problem... it doesn't matter what a developer wants, cuz the developer doesn't usually pay all the bills for the game, it's the publisher.

That is a rather presumptuous thing to say considering that Sakamoto-san, Hosokawa-san, and Morisawa-san were all involved in the development. They have collectively worked on the series for ten years (Sakamoto decades).

There were a lot of factors that could be attributed to any complaints you have about M: OM. But to say Nintendo doesn't care or understand? If anything it proves Nintendo is just still very green on creating an international product with decent production.

Ehhh, I've gotten over comments like this. So many game enthusiasts (thanks, bg, I'm borrowing this!) have this idea that what they envisioned Metroid to be is the only way to do it, like it's THEIR franchise.

The important thing most people don't realize is that things like
her reactions during the Ridley scene
seem like a shock because - guess what - Metroid missed the transition to more narrative games with the change to 3D with the N64.

If Mario had sat out the N64 era, people would piss and moan up and down about the narrative in modern Mario games, because up until 3D Mario games, the guy had about as much narrative as a block of wood. Bowser comes at him in a giant stomping clown-copter in Super Mario World? Mario's sprite doesn't even FLINCH with fear or surprise or... anything.

The problem with Metroid is that people made assumptions about the Samus Aran character based on this same lack of visual cue narrative from the sprite-based entries of the series. Nintendo decides to have a vision for the character, and it flies in the face of every assumption, people have a shit-fit and want to "retake" their Metroid. But it's not Nintendo's fault if the player made an improper assumption of who the character should be based purely on filling in the blanks due to limitations of the medium.

HylianTom

Banned
Agreed. DoR was pretty goddamn good.

Sadly, Advance Wars seems to be more dead than alive these days.

I want more revivals of old Nintendo IPs :(

I think that if Nintendo kept all of their IPs alive and well and active, you wouldn't see nearly as many folks complaining about Nintendo milking their franchises or whining that Nintendo needs to create new IPs. There's such a rich, wide variety of characters and worlds sitting in their possession, something that the competition could never hope to achieve. Like someone said earlier in the thread: Disneyesque.

onilink88

Revival of old IPs, eh? While I don't think it's dead, I'd give anything to see another home console entry of Custom Robo. The only one I've played was the Cube's, but I loved the hell out of it.

Terrell

I think what he meant with that statement is that
if the franchise is dead for the Japanese market
then Nintendo should focus to make it even more atractive to the western audience
and literally dismiss Japan from the checklist

Since Retro is a very talented developer group and is from the west it's almost a shoe in

Seriously, WHAT THE FUCK?!
What's next, should Nintendo stop bothering to cater 3D Mario titles to everyone and make THEM more Western too? Same bloody logic.

HylianTom

Banned
What's next, should Nintendo stop bothering to cater 3D Mario titles to everyone and make THEM more Western too? Same bloody logic.

If anything, I'd much rather Nintendo find a way to increase global appeal. Giving-up on Japan would be a bit heartbreaking.

Except that Mario games sell exceptionally well there, whereas console Zeldas don't. They've already shifted Metroid towards a more western-centered audience, and it got us the Metroid Prime games, so who knows if it would be good or bad for Zelda.

So no, it's not the same bloody logic.

Do you mean stuff like Wave Race, 1080 Snowboarding, F-Zero?

Or like NES/Kid Icarus stuff?

Because, if it's the later, how much is there left to 'revivet'? (relatively young gamer here....)

I think if Nintendo was going to hand off Zelda to a fresh team outside the EAD's (which they won't), my bet would be Monolith or Sakarai's side. In reality, if it does change hands it'll be to EAD Tokyo if anything. EAD is Zelda, the times or fans ain't changing that.

Not that it wouldn't be awesome to see a Retro Zelda, it just ain't going to happen.

Roo

Hey! easy, buddy.
I just shared what I think he meant with his comment
and apparently I was right.
Not that I agree with him tho

IEhhh, I've gotten over comments like this. So many game enthusiasts (thanks, bg, I'm borrowing this!) have this idea that what they envisioned Metroid to be is the only way to do it, like it's THEIR franchise.

seem like a shock because - guess what - Metroid missed the transition to more narrative games with the change to 3D with the N64.

If Mario had sat out the N64 era, people would piss and moan up and down about the narrative in modern Mario games, because up until 3D Mario games, the guy had about as much narrative as a block of wood. Bowser comes at him in a giant stomping clown-copter in Super Mario World? Mario's sprite doesn't even FLINCH with fear or surprise or... anything.

The problem with Metroid is that people made assumptions about the Samus Aran character based on this same lack of visual cue narrative from the sprite-based entries of the series. Nintendo decides to have a vision for the character, and it flies in the face of every assumption, people have a shit-fit and want to "retake" their Metroid. But it's not Nintendo's fault if the player made an improper assumption of who the character should be based purely on filling in the blanks due to limitations of the medium.

I think this is pretty accurate.

HylianTom

Banned
Another idea: if Retro were to do a Bald Space Marine game, I'd love for them to make it a parody of the genre. Make it play well, but make it hysterical. Good dialogue, overboard production values, good jokes at the expense of industry characters and archetypes, poking fun at developers/publishers/media, ridiculous cutscenes, etc. Have common mechanics of the FPS genre present, but totally blast their non-sensical relationship with reality.

God, the possibilities would be fantastic! That's it - I've finally decided what I want Retro to do!

Anth0ny

Galaxy 2 sold close to 1 million units in Japan. Skyward Sword sold 300k.

Come on now. Zelda is a series that lends itself to being westernized. Mario is NOT...

It's not as bad as all that. I don't see the connection between console zeldas not being all that popular in japan and the need to farm out the IP to a western developer. Even with its late gen blues and add-on requirement, SS did moderately well in the west. Twilight Princess did great. Having retro develop zelda isn't going to guarantee it's going to do gangbusters. I think nintendo is still capable of developing awesome zelda games in house.

Keep in mind though that this is coming from someone who holds TP as one of the best games of this gen and really enjoyed SS. Zelda does need a shot in the arm though. I'd be the first to admit a retro developed zelda would pique my interest but I don't think it's absolutely necessary for the franchise.

It's not absolutely necessary, but they're wasting their time and resources forcing their in house talent to work on a game for 3+ years that is going to sell a pathetic 300k in their home country. EAD should focus on the 3DS Zelda. Give Retro a shot at Wii U Zelda.

Another idea: if Retro were to do a Bald Space Marine game, I'd love for them to make it a parody of the genre. Make it play well, but make it hysterical. Good dialogue, good jokes at the expense of industry characters and archetypes, poking fun at developers/publishers/media, etc. Have common mechanics of the FPS genre present, but totally blast their non-sensical relationship with reality.

God, the possibilities would be fantastic! That's it - I've finally decided what I want Retro to do!

Like other NPC's cracking jokes and laughing at the player character for walking like a stiff robot and "head-only-turns-with-gun".

I.E. "Hey Brian, look he's doing it again (pointing at player character)...LMAO (in big letters MGS-style).

Terrell

Except that Mario games sell exceptionally well there, whereas console Zeldas don't. They've already shifted Metroid towards a more western-centered audience, and it got us the Metroid Prime games, so who knows if it would be good or bad for Zelda.

So no, it's not the same bloody logic.

No, 2D side-scrolling Mario games sell exceptionally well in Japan. Galaxy, for instance, barely outsold Sunshine, despite 4x the install base.

Galaxy 2 sold close to 1 million units in Japan. Skyward Sword sold 300k.

Come on now. Zelda is a series that lends itself to being westernized. Mario is NOT...
See the above comment about the 3D Marios being the worst sellers in Japan out of almost ANY Mario titles, and factor in the lack of MotionPlus pack-in in Japan with the added burden of being the 2nd console Zelda, which always underperforms in EVERY region.

And no, Zelda lends itself to being as universal in approach. You guys are so willing to throw Japanese Zelda fans under the fucking bus just to suit your own tastes.

frostbyte

I'd take a 3D Advance Wars on Nintendo 3DS that linked up with a 3D advanced wars on Wii U.

That would be interesting. Cross play multiplayer, each player with their own map and fog of war on. The big screen could be for the battle cutscenes. Not to mention full on map editor.

I want this so badly.

Do you mean stuff like Wave Race, 1080 Snowboarding, F-Zero?

Or like NES/Kid Icarus stuff?

Because, if it's the later, how much is there left to 'revivet'? (relatively young gamer here....)

Anything would be fine to me, honestly. Nintendo should be less conservative and revisit more of their IPs. They already did a great job releasing things like Punch out and Sin & Punishment but I want things like Ice Climbers and Mother.

Anth0ny

No, 2D side-scrolling Mario games sell exceptionally well in Japan. Galaxy, for instance, barely outsold Sunshine, despite 4x the install base.

And Twilight Princess doubled Skyward Sword sales in Japan, despite... god knows how many times the install base.

And no, Zelda lends itself to being as universal in approach. You guys are so willing to throw Japanese Zelda fans under the fucking bus just to suit your own tastes.

All 5 of them!

My Zelda hope realistically would be EAD Tokyo develops it, and it's theme and ambiance would be high fantasy but with a eerie early spaghetti western motif. Some of the OST for SS already were trending towards a western feel, so I'd love to see them pull that whole audio/visual/gameplay full circle.

Terrell

And Twilight Princess doubled Skyward Sword sales in Japan, despite... god knows how many times the install base.

All 5 of them!

As I said, there were circumstances that weren't present in the American release that prevented higher numbers. But I see you'd rather be glib and dismissive than address that point.

AniHawk

what western studio would handle zelda again? monster makes racing games, nst makes handheld games, next-level does sorta-revival stuff and mario strikers.

Bzzzt. Wrong. "Player assumptions" and personal fantasies of the character aside, Samus being a very dark noir, stoic and emotionally controlled character is exactly how Sakamoto HIMSELF insisted she be portrayed when Tanabe was doing research for Retro prior to/during early production on MP 1:

To aid him (Kensuke Tanabe) in this challenge (when getting advice and story/character approval for Retro during the lead up to Prime's production), Tanabe sought the advice of Metroid series creator Yoshio Sakamoto, who had very strong opinions about who main character Samus Aran, a space bounty hunter, really was, and how she might behave in certain situations. "[We asked him], what would Samus do if Space Pirates took someone as a hostage and said, while pointing a gun to their head, 'Samus, back off!' How would Samus react?" explains Tanabe of some initial design planning. "What we heard from him was that she would not say, 'Hold on!' or show any emotions. She would just bring up her gun and shoot a head shot at the Space Pirate."

http://wii.ign.com/articles/101/1016511p2.html

Hardly the same vulnerable, weak-willed and very emotional character we saw in Other M's cut scenes who Sakamoto now at this later date insists is the "real Samus." It's his choice and I respect that but as the above evidence shows, you can't blame it all on fan perception.

Good news to me, I'm firming in the Twilight Princess camp. I'm not your tradtional Zelda or Nintendo player. I'm a Sega gamer, but I came to love Zelda, I would love if EAD Tokyo and Retro joined forces to create the ultimate Twilight Prncess Zelda with non of it's flaws (barron Hyrule Field). With the graphics of the Zelda Wii U demo, 30fps 720p with CG-like graphics and lighting.

Terrell

Bzzzt. Wrong. "Player assumptions" and personal fantasies of the character aside, Samus being a very dark noir, stoic and emotionally controlled character is exactly how Sakamoto HIMSELF insisted she be portrayed when Tanabe was doing research for Retro prior to/during early production on MP 1:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/101/1016511p2.html

Hardly the same vulnerable, weak-willed and very emotional character we saw in Other M's cut scenes who Sakamoto now at this later date insists is the "real Samus." It's his choice and I respect that but as the above evidence shows, you can't blame it all on fan perception.

That's how she'd react to a random Space Pirate. Were she to whimper at the sight of all of them, I'd see a problem. But she doesn't. My statement still stands, because the quote you offered showed a single situation, which doesn't deviate at all from anything presented in Other M.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
She's not lacking in those departments at all. She just keeps it all covered up. Samus is all about practical clothing.

That's true. Samus is already hot, but there's nothing wrong with...augmentation. :D~

Did the Prime games never happen? I recall Samus kicking Ridley's ass three times in those games without having a nervous breakdown. Or am I missing something.

HylianTom

Banned
The Retro Zelda thing is the stupidest topic in this thread.

And that says so fucking much.

It is kinda tiresome. But we always seem to revisit the matter in depth about once or twice a month. =)

Like other NPC's cracking jokes and laughing at the player character for walking like a stiff robot and "head-only-turns-with-gun".

I.E. "Hey Brian, look he's doing it again (pointing at player character)...LMAO (in big letters MGS-style).
Exactly!

And during one stage, I'd want a fake chat window in the lower corner of the screen, with an eleven-year-old cursing at your every move through that scene. I'm talking about cursing that would make Andrew Dice Clay blush!

God, we've just hit the tip of the iceberg.. a parody would be sooo rich!

Anth0ny

As I said, there were circumstances that weren't present in the American release that prevented higher numbers. But I see you'd rather be glib and dismissive than address that point.

Well, how am I supposed to argue that? Sales COULD have been higher, but facts are facts. Skyward Sword sold like crap in Japan. I'm sure Nintendo did their research with regards to packing in Motion+ with the game.

Ultimately, Nintendo has plenty of strong Japanese IPs. Nintendo could use some strong Western IPs. Zelda could be one.

That's how she'd react to a random Space Pirate. Were she to whimper at the sight of all of them, I'd see a problem. But she doesn't. My statement still stands, because the quote you offered showed a single situation, which doesn't deviate at all from anything presented in Other M.

Uh, no. The context of what Tanabe was asking Sakamoto was pretty clear, ie: We're making a game with your baby, so how does Samus react in combat situations? What is her personality? Your line that "Oh what he meant is that she doesn't care in that one situation since it's 'just a space pirate" doesn't fly because Sakamoto flavored that scenario even further by indicating she wouldn't show emotion or possibly care even if there was also an innocent hostage's life at stake who might get hit by crossfire. Yet in Other M she was very emotional and super warm and caring whenever she encountered ANY character, even the scientists. Like I said, he can do whatever he wants with the character, just don't paint this line that it's all to be blamed on fan disappointment and expectations "Star Wars prequel defense" style.

Nibel

Metroid Prime 4 - and people will forget about Other M.

So, is there anything new about that mysterious 3DS DK game? Or fake?

(thanks, bg, I'm borrowing this!)

Haha. No problem. A thread I made awhile back caused me to establish some clear terms and definitions on how to label those things for my personal use.

Non-gamer - This is the individual that can has no real motivation to buy a console of any kind. If they do play a game then they prefer things to be simple to get into and "short" in length. They would much rather spend a few hours playing games with people where goals can be completed in minutes rather than spending 20 or so hours to beat a game.

Casual gamer
- This individual has a desire for gaming, but for varying reasons are not able to give a lot of time to playing games. They play when they can, but family, work, money, etc. keeps them from contributing larger amounts of time to their would be hobby.

Gaming enthusiast - This individual will make sure their hobby is fulfilled. They know when a game they want will release. They put time into being good at their game of choice. While all three categories can be broken down into sub-groups based on preference(s), they are most evident with the enthusiast. These sub-groups include, but are not limited to gaming platform, genre, franchise, etc.

XD

I envision the NPC running around in a mocking manner as well.

It's not as bad as all the hypothetical hardware specs analysis'.

original.jpg

Top Bottom