• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

Polyphony

Did a couple of laps yesterday morning on a stock setup. Current time is 1:33.104. I'm confident I can still cut a second of two off that time once the car is setup properly, especially the gear ratios. Gonna try to improve my time before the Malaysian GP tonight.

fresquito

I'm stuck in the Rouen event. I'm unable to make the two big hairpins properly. The problem for me is that I can hardly find any good reference for the second and I don't seem to be able to slow down as needed in the first one. Any suggestion/videos?

Shaneus

Did anyone post a method of adding friends or whatever? I can see a friends option in-game but there's no way to add people via the lap times leaderboard. Maybe it links the buddies on the forum with it?

Arcticfox

I ran about 10 laps with no changes to the setup yet other than getting rid of some fuel. My current best time is 1:33.163. It is a very basic track but it is also very tricky to get a perfect lap on.

Shaneus

ibfjcmALrSLnL.bmp

This fucking game.
What graphics settings (bloom, HDR, AA etc.) did you use? That looks nigh-on perfect. If you modified anything in the F1 debug menu thing as well, that'd be handy to know :)

Sethos

Banned
Alongside the time trials, we should have a weekly photo contest with theme ( Photorealistic, jumps, crash etc. ) - That would be awesome.

Polyphony

How do you even take photos, I just print screen and my replays never look as awesome.

Did anyone post a method of adding friends or whatever? I can see a friends option in-game but there's no way to add people via the lap times leaderboard. Maybe it links the buddies on the forum with it?

I added a bunch of people from GAF on WMD by going to "My Profile" and the friends section. I thought it would help me filter out friends on the leaderboards in-game, but it doesn't seem to work atm.

Sethos

Banned
How do you even take photos, I just print screen and my replays never look as awesome.

You can pause the game at any time with P. Then you still have control of the camera. Press Ctrl-F and you get a free cam. Use + / - to zoom in, to get a better focus of the camera and then mess around with the DoF to blur out stuff that looks bad or takes focus.

You can also mess around in Camera edit mode, to get some good angles;

Camera Edit Mode (Build 159+)

To enter the mode you press Ctrl-K.
Then the following keys become active:

Numpad 2: increase pitch
Numpad 8: decrease pitch
Numpad 4: increase yaw
Numpad 6: decrease yaw
Numpad 7: increase radius
Numpad 9: decrease radius
Numpad 1: increase roll
Numpad 3: decrease roll
Numpad -: increase FOV
Numpad +: decrease FOV
D: forward
A: backward
W: up
S: down
Q: left
E: right
SHIFT key in combination with any of the above: slow down camera movement
Numpad 5: reset to original settings for current camera

Custom DOF mode:

F3: on/off
F4: reset

Focus plane distance:
F5: decrease
F6: increase

Sharp field depth:
F7: decrease
F8: increase

Transit to blur depth:
Shift + F7: decrease
Shift + F8: increase

Blur:
Shift + F5: decrease
Shift + F6: increase

Also some of these can help you set up shots;

Ctrl-I: AI control of player car.
Ctrl-T: switch to trackside cameras.
[ ]: decrease/increase FOV.
F1: display developer menu.
BACKSPACE: goes back a level in F1 menu.
Ctrl-P: cycle to next post processing filter.
Ctrl-Shift-P: switch post processing filters off.
Ctrl-F: free camera.
Ctrl-S: display FPS.
W,A,S,D: move seat
TAB: cycle lap info
Ctrl-+ & -: Full damage/repair damage of car
Ctrl-Alt-+ & -: Full damage/repair damage of all cars

Blizzard

Banned
Thanks for the camera tips, Sethos.

To take screenshots, download Fraps -- the limited version is free and you can save as BMP files and convert them to high quality JPG (like 97% quality) using say, IrfanView.

Regarding the billboard, liveries, and so forth, we can already make liveries, so if anyone wants to mess with a NeoGAF livery for some car it could be cool (or at least let people use it ingame). Since meetings have started, maybe I will eventually have a chance to bring up the billboard etc. stuff there, but as far as I know that advertising stuff still hasn't been focused on since they are still working on the main game.

Regarding adding friends, I think you need to add people as buddies on the forum right now, yes.

Regarding car damage, there is an option for off, cosmetic, or full. With cosmetic damage parts fall off your car, but I don't think I have ever seen the wheel do that so it might be a bug (or you might have full damage on).

markao

I'm more or less hitting my max in this car, do enjoy driving it a lot, just more alive than last weeks car. Slightly changed my gearing as I only use 3 to 5 and even though I hit the limiter pretty quickly in 5th, it still felt quicker (we need Motec ;) ).

Leonus F68 - Milan Historic (1.30.467) (youtube)

And changed set-up:

Shaneus

Max settings, 4XMSAA.

F1 debug menu > SSAO High Quality ON.

That's it :)
Wow! Similar to what I had, too. Except I can't do ultra shadows or reflections because of ATI bugs :( But I also use the FXAA-injector mentioned in one of the threads. Not the internal one, but the one you enable by pressing Pause/Break.

BTW, do you know if you can save the debut options to load each time? I remember reading something about it, but couldn't find an option to "save" anywhere.

Blizzard

Banned
I think I use ultra reflections on a 5850 with no problems, but I have old ATI drivers. =/ I just use the built-in FXAA setting, and I run the DX11 executable.

Shaneus

I think I use ultra reflections on a 5850 with no problems, but I have old ATI drivers. =/ I just use the built-in FXAA setting, and I run the DX11 executable.
It might be Crossfire, I'm not sure. But Ultra shadows a few builds ago used to cause a crash but that's been fixed, but now there's flickering ultra textures. Can't remember the specifics, but it was common :(

Jibbed

Wow! Similar to what I had, too. Except I can't do ultra shadows or reflections because of ATI bugs :( But I also use the FXAA-injector mentioned in one of the threads. Not the internal one, but the one you enable by pressing Pause/Break.

BTW, do you know if you can save the debut options to load each time? I remember reading something about it, but couldn't find an option to "save" anywhere.

Don't think you can :/ I only ever enable HQ-SSAO if I get a good shot, just to bump up the realism a bit.

What are your average fps?

40-60 with a lot of cars, solid 60 on my own (v-sync on).

i7-2600k/GTX560Ti.

Shaneus

I was sitting on 60 at Monza Historic, but I just fired up California and MAN it's slow.

So guys, I have a 24" monitor about 3 feet away from my head (literally, I rearranged my desk, it's about 10 inches from my wheel). What FOV do I use for cockpit? Around 35?

Also, what would be the chance of getting something like this for CARS? Too scared to ask on the official forum ;)

BTW All you racers should be watching the F1 right now. Well, not RIGHT now... when the rain stops :/

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #2 - Leonus F68 Cromwell V8 @ Milan Historic (Monza) (Build 179)

markao - 1:30.467 (video)
Big Takeover - 1:31.385 (Video)
Dilly - 1:31.877
Orgun - 1:32.167 (video)
Foliorum Viridum - 1:32.622 (video)
Salacious Crumb - 1:32.824
fresquito - 1:33.030
Polyphony - 1:33.104
Whatevaman - 1:33.566
jet1911 - 1:34.670
kafiend - 1:34.731
_machine - 1:34.850
Shaneus - 1:36.567
Blizzard - 1:41.437

I'm going to nick that setup a few posts up and give this another crack soon.

Orgun

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #2 - Leonus F68 Cromwell V8 @ Milan Historic (Monza) (Build 179)

Orgun - 1:32.167 (video)
Salacious Crumb - 1:32.824
Polyphony - 1:33.104
_machine - 1:34.850

I'm going to nick that setup a few posts up and give this another crack soon.

Managed to improve my time - 1:31.863

Salacious Crumb - 1:30.881
Orgun - 1:31.863
Polyphony - 1:31.974
ArcticFox - 1:32.349
_machine - 1:32.921
IMACOMPUTER - 1:36.851

So many names! Loving it. I've not tried that setup yet.

Blizzard

Banned
This game looks so much better with HDR turned off.
The thing I really love is how many options they give people, even outside of the debug menu options. I hope it stays that way. For instance, some people seem to get near photorealistic pictures using certain HDR settings, and there are like four different HDR settings alone, but in general I usually left HDR off as well.

Top Bottom