• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

Shaneus

I just hope everyone is not going to hate me for my choice!
What's that?

I really want to see where it is in 12-18 months when we're close to a final product. You have to imagine there will be several licks of painted at that point.

But yeah, performance is impressive. I have everything on max (bar AA) at 2048x1152 and I don't dip below 40 when recording with FRAPS. That's optimisation!
Given the performance of this game, the leaps and bounds it's making and how it's managed to make a complete turncoat out of me (from hating on their investment system into contemplating buying into the full game) I think I'll take the 20 euro that no doubt would've gone toward F1 2012 and put it toward getting the full version of this. Regardless of the business side of things, good developers should get on the receiving end of some monetary feedback rather than based on IP alone (hi again, Codies!). Well, they shouldn't have to be, but in this day and age, when Codies can pump out such buggy shit, SMS should be "rewarded".

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #1 - Asano x4 @ Florence GP (Build 174)

1vla2g.jpg

1. Dilly - 1:46.260
2. markao - 1:46:506 (video)
3. Salacious Crumb - 1:46.528 (video)

Big Takeover - 1:46.598 (video)
Polyphony - 1:46.857
Arcticfox - 1:48.019
Orgun - 1:47.432 (video)
Metalmurphy - 1:48.175
Three60 - 1:48.252
Foliorum Viridum - 1:48.260 (video)
Kyaw - 1:48.367
bee - 1:48.958
Whateverman - 1:49.190 (video)
fresquito - 1:49.725
_machine - 1:55.117
jet1591 - 1:59.271
Blizzard - 2:14.591

17 entries and more people have showed interest but weren't able to participate this week! When I suggested doing this I didn't think it would get this popular, so good work lads!

Now, Dilly's choice for the car and track this week:

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #2 - Leonus F68 Cromwell V8 @ Milan Historic (Monza) (Build 179)

Please note that it's HISTORIC Monza, because Dilly hates corners! As with last week, any assists are allowed and tweaking your car is allowed. Please provide video, screenshot or leaderboard evidence with your exact time to get added to the leaderboard!

I suspect this week will be much closer.

Shaneus

Man, I just finished my first clean lap on the previous challenge... FFB seems a LOT twitchier in 179 than 175. The latter felt not sensitive enough (regardless of settings) and the former feels too much so. At least in the x4.

But with this new one, at least I'll be coming in at the start. Also good to see that with settings fully cranked at 1080p, I run at a smoooooth 60fps (save for microstutter, which can never really be helped with multi-GPU) and neither CPU nor GPUs are breaking a sweat.

Um... which one's "Historic Monza"?

Milan, sorry I must've edited after you posted. I realised using the real track name was stupid shortly after I posted!

Currently the world record for that track is 4.5 seconds faster than my time. I hope that's a setup because I'm not sure how I can be losing that much time on such a track, haha.

Shaneus

1:41.635 (first full lap after my outlap *ever*, no assists and just tweaked the fuel. Will obviously improve)
Is there a way to get a map view at all in-game? Admittedly I haven't checked the shortcuts, but I can't remember seeing the option on the button config page.

BTW I found the "sensitivity" of the FFB, it's the "dampener" setting. Happier now I have something to tinker with.

Sethos

Banned
Oh wow, these new road tracks are amazing - Love 'em.

They do have some nasty surprises though, especially with the 360 controller. So hard to recover on a skid.

i2VI0mtdNEfkc.gif

Salacious Crumb

Great gif. I love that jump.

Ha, it's true. They're all such high speed and the car doesn't want to grip to the road.

You're much faster than me, so I must be doing my gears wrong or something. I'll work it on tonight!

Default gears (and everything else minus fuel) boyo, The car won't go faster than about 265KM/H even with longer ratios.

paskowitz

It is amazing how much smoother this game runs since the very first public build. I would say there is a 10fps+ improvement at least for me. Also, even on my meager Dell SXPS1647 laptop, this game still runs at decent settings (medium no AA). There are many PC games out now that run worse than this game at alpha/beta.

paskowitz

Well right now every car sans the karts and maybe the Formula cars is real... just not all are licensed. I think in the end we will see something around 100 cars.

Watevaman

1:33.56

I feel like I can go faster, but I don't know how else to take the first turn. My target right now is to exit at least at ~235 but I can't consistently keep that.

Edit: And I can see 1:32s, but I don't know how that guy got a 1:31.113. I have a feeling there's some leniency in the corner cutting for this track right now.

fresquito

I have given the circuit a first spin. I don't like it that much. I find it somehow boring. I'm at 1:36.173 right now, but there's plenty to be improven.

Great choice for the new challenge. The F68 is actually one of the cars I was most disappointed in when I first tried pCARS, but I've heard it's much, much better now. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

I can't wait to try all this new content either.

Watevaman

Great choice for the new challenge. The F68 is actually one of the cars I was most disappointed in when I first tried pCARS, but I've heard it's much, much better now. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

I can't wait to try all this new content either.

It's incredibly bouncy on Monza if you don't get the suspension right. On the straight before the last hairpin, it was so bouncy that it actually knocked me off the track if I was going full throttle. Amazingly scary.

It's incredibly bouncy on Monza if you don't get the suspension right. On the straight before the last hairpin, it was so bouncy that it actually knocked me off the track if I was going full throttle. Amazingly scary.

Amazingly scary is what I was looking for :) It wasn't that before. It was kind of dull actually.

_machine

Did 1:36.654 with the pad on my second lap: linky

Can't wait to hook up my wheel tomorrow; the F68 is such a joy to drive, though exiting the corners wheels smoking probably isn't the fastest way around the track...

Blizzard

Banned
One note I forgot to mention, they already added the configurable date option so you can play whatever date you want. There are even a few different years you can pick from for some reason.

Watevaman

One note I forgot to mention, they already added the configurable date option so you can play whatever date you want. There are even a few different years you can pick from for some reason.

Probably for historic reasons.

7 in the morning on June 12, 1945 should have the sun in a little bit different position in the sky than it is now. Might not even be noticeable for all we know, though.

Blizzard

Banned
Probably for historic reasons.

7 in the morning on June 12, 1945 should have the sun in a little bit different position in the sky than it is now. Might not even be noticeable for all we know, though.
You can't pick that though, the selection is only like 2012-2020 at the moment.

Blizzard

Banned
crom68xob3l.jpg

These are the correct settings, right? 1:41.437

I tried taking the gas down to 20kg and that might have helped me take a second or two off, but my main problem is 2 or 3 killer curves that I have to slow down for. I'm scared of cutting close to the edge since if you ever touch the grass before a turn, it's basically over.

*edit*
Is there a way to get a map view at all in-game? Admittedly I haven't checked the shortcuts, but I can't remember seeing the option on the button config page.
I was almost sure I saw a map view HUD overlay in the previous build, but I did not notice it when cycling through HUD options today. Is there any way to get a cockpit view with the tachometer overlay? The cromwell 68 doesn't have an easy to see tachometer so I just have to listen for the engine sound to know when to shift. =P

Orgun

http://www.abload.de/img/crom68xob3l.jpg

These are the correct settings, right? 1:41.437

I tried taking the gas down to 20kg and that might have helped me take a second or two off, but my main problem is 2 or 3 killer curves that I have to slow down for. I'm scared of cutting close to the edge since if you ever touch the grass before a turn, it's basically over.

*edit*

I was almost sure I saw a map view HUD overlay in the previous build, but I did not notice it when cycling through HUD options today. Is there any way to get a cockpit view with the tachometer overlay? The cromwell 68 doesn't have an easy to see tachometer so I just have to listen for the engine sound to know when to shift. =P[/QUOTE]

Take your fuel down to 9kg. That's enough for 4 laps.

Blizzard

Banned
I just dug around the forum, and it looks like some tracks are currently missing minimaps, which would be why they don't show up on the HUD.

Megasoum

Banned
I just dug around the forum, and it looks like some tracks are currently missing minimaps, which would be why they don't show up on the HUD.

Yeah, unless that changed in the last couple of builds, last time I checked only the original 2 maps had minimap (Connecticut and Bologna). They are great looking minimap but IMO there's still nothing better than a racing line to learn a new track.

Top Bottom