• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

How do you see where you're going?! I hope the final game has sliders for draw distance because it pretty dark at the moment.

It should be dark at midnight in the middle of the countryside :p I know Spa very well, so it's not that hard. If you don't know a track is must be really tough.

Updated:

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #1 - Asano x4 @ Florence GP (Build 174)
markao - 1:46:506 (video)
Big Takeover - 1:46.598 (video)
Polyphony - 1:46.857
Salacious Crumb - 1:47.089 (video)
Orgun - 1:47.432 (video)
Metalmurphy - 1:48.175
Three60 - 1:48.252
Foliorum Viridum - 1:48.260 (video)
Kyaw - 1:48.367
Arcticfox - 1:48.894
bee - 1:48.958
Whateverman - 1:49.190 (video)
fresquito - 1:49.725
_machine - 1:55.117
jet1591 - 1:59.271
Blizzard - 2:14.591

Good number of people. Really glad! :D

I'm going to try and do another time now.

Arucardo

How much if you live in/can ship to Finland? ;)

I live in the Pirkanmaa region, I can give you an official GAF discount, how's 120e sound? The wheel and shifter still have the protective stickers/plastic on them. I've only been using the pedals on my Fanatec and can give you a replacement potentiometer for the pedals if any of them start acting up. I replaced the throttle pot, which turned out to be unnecessary since it was the fanatec adaper cable that was faulty. Might have the original pot around somewhere too.

Pretty funky selling this here, send me a pm if you're interested, haha.

On topic: I'd love to participate in this TT but I won't be able to before tomorrow evening, hopefully I'll make it for the next one.

Dilly

Banned

Don't like the track though, stupid curbs. Should get that time down to 1.46 if I do everything perfect.

-edit-

Heh, if I knew I was that close to the number one spot I would have given it another go.

Arucardo

New build is out for Team Member+

Build 179 (23/3/12, Team Member+)
Updated UI with news ticker added
Test flag wavers added to Bologna
Improved ocean shader
Added metallic effects to Racer cars
New exports of California Highway and Azure Coast
New exports of Ariel Atoms
Added Sakitto track

Build 178 (22/3/12, Senior Manager)
Add GUI/profile options to set race date
JPM Audio updates. Experimental settings to combat possible physics/audio disconnect
Quick Solo screen has now had a lick of paint to fit the extra options in
Connecticut Hill Textures updates for new materials
JPM New liveries, livery names
Reset car only allowed below 10mph
Moon cycle textures added; moon dome added
Environment audio for country road tracks added
Derby GP updated to support 64 car grid
Wisconsin Raceway updated to support 38 car grids
Added the extra environment sounds needed by the California Highway track
add tunnel verbs - further tweaks required
WIP Moon Movement. Code written to generate following information for the moon based on date
Track rotation offset is now setup, this means the tracks now orientate correctly to world space. i.e the sun should rise and fall exactly like google maps
Fix for car reset not working in practice mode on tracks with no pits yet
New GUMPERT export
New Leonus F86 export
Azure Coast added

Build 177 (21/3/12, Senior Manager)
Palmer: new cockpit display
Gumpert Apollo: WIP suspension animations and some minor bug fixing
New AIW. New raceline, 64 car grid and pits. Wisconsin Raceway
Tweaks to the brake power and heating. Trying to get the warm up about right Asano X4
Palmer: Merged in fixed tyres + UV mapped cockpit display
Asano LM11: fixed tread scrolling on all tyres
Leonus F77: fixed LODX tyre tread scrolling direction
Change to convolve shader to prevent bright sun from wiping out the whole thing - prevents odd flicker when sun comes in front of a wall etc
Fixed 1 errant cut track that was halfway across, causing some warnings at Besos
Fixed ugly popups of the trees in distance for the florence tracks
Prepared metallic effects for Palmer liveries
Palmer JPLM: cockpit exposure level set at 0.3
New Asano LM11 export
New Leonus F77 export
New Connecticut Hill exports
California Highway added

Build 176 (20/3/12, Manager+)
Removing static envMap location from the weather wtc files and moving it to be part of the track trd
Fixed cut tracks in first corner of Milan GP. Set grid sizes to 60 For both GP and short
New liveries for the Palmer
Fixed cut tracks where pulled onto track by recent corridor (left side only ) edits at Badenring
Palmer: New fonts + font fixes for CPIT display

Shaneus

Reminds me of a little-known song by Australian band Icehouse.
Also reminds me of what could've been with Petrov's leap in the Lotus Renault last year. Except a little more exaggerated ;)

New build is out for Team Member+
For the little time trial/hotlap compo we have going, will that update make much of a difference or should I stick to 174?
Edit: Doesn't look like there are any handling/control fixes so I guess it should be okay.

markao

For the little time trial/hotlap compo we have going, will that update make much of a difference or should I stick to 174?
No changes to physics, so no need to update.

And I did not expect Suzuka so quick, they must have been working on it for a while in the background

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #1 - Asano x4 @ Florence GP (Build 174)
Dilly - 1:46.260
Salacious Crumb - 1:47.089 (video)
Arcticfox - 1:48.019

Downloading new build now - Suzuka here I come! :D

Watevaman

New build is pretty cool. However, the 360 controller setup feels different. It's like it wants to jerk more and is super sensitive, even with the steering sensitivity at 8.

kafiend

New build is pretty cool. However, the 360 controller setup feels different. It's like it wants to jerk more and is super sensitive, even with the steering sensitivity at 8.

I just bought a new wheel which should be here Monday but on my old DFGT the pedals are not recognized. Can only get them to work on a G25 profile which makes the steering fuxxxored,

Watevaman

Nope, I didn't have much time with it. I will try tomorrow, though. I had it on like I did with the previous build.

It might've just been me, but it definitely feels like if you're going right with the stick fully right, then let go of the stick, it jerks it to the left. It's as if the filtering is borked.

Well, I thought Suzuka was great fun, then I tried Azure Coast...

Jesus Christ. What a stretch of road. It will take me a while to memorise it and do a clean drive, but wow. It's so unlike anything else in the game and great because of it. More of this!

Blizzard

Banned
In late-breaking news, Foli loves Azure coast. :D I really want to see screenshots and impressions, but the build is taking FOREVER to download.

*edit* DARNIT, he beat me back here by 1 minute.

Haha, alright, that vid makes GT5 look a lot more fun than what I had with it :p

And I highly suggest people don't click! It's a really awesome experience the first time. I had no idea what was coming. It took me about 14 minutes in total because the first time I was just cruising around taking it all in. Awesome.

Blizzard

Banned
For anyone who might have still been worried about the "country roads", here is a comment from the forum:

We haven't lost ”some real world circuits”. We already had the tracks mostly done. Very roughly I'd say they'll ”cost” half a normal circuit to finish in total.

mclaren777

^^^

That's really encouraging, but I still don't want to see those venues be mandatory in the final game (progression isn't limited by certain events). If anything, I think those "tracks" would make great post-launch DLC.

Blizzard

Banned
Ugh, I'd hate to see them as paid DLC. I don't like paid DLC in general. I like the idea of them as free driving/reward tracks, so maybe after you finish a career mode you unlock them as bonus courses.

I just finished doing Azure Coast, and it is gorgeous and LONG. There are obviously still some bugs in places where the track doesn't meet the walls perfectly, but it is REALLY pretty, and super fun to drive on. I recommend that everyone who tries it not look at videos beforehand, and just enjoy the experience.

This is possibly the most fun I've had in CARS so far. =)

*edit* Also, I recommend the Cromwell V8 for touring fun on that track.

Shaneus

So, anyone going to go from Team Member to Full Member before they close things off? Same benefits, but it's more likely (I guess) that it'll price bomba somewhere on or after launch. Providing we can use what we've put in to buy it anywhere, it may not be worth paying up fully just yet.

Are you constantly recording when you manage to capture something like this? I doubt I could do that with the off chance something crazy *might* happen.

fresquito

So, anyone going to go from Team Member to Full Member before they close things off? Same benefits, but it's more likely (I guess) that it'll price bomba somewhere on or after launch. Providing we can use what we've put in to buy it anywhere, it may not be worth paying up fully just yet.
The more you invest, the more you will gain back.

Blizzard

Banned
I just tried California Highway. It's pretty in its own way, but not to the gorgeous level of Azure Coast. Other tracks will have to wait until tomorrow.

Side note, I really appreciate the work they have done on the input lag at this point. With my settings and other stuff running in the background, I was getting 25-35 fps some times, yet it always felt smooth, drivable, and never laggy. :)

Blizzard

Banned
Not in terms of product-related benefits, but investment dollars? Hm. Fair enough.

Is there anywhere (by them) where sort of info is written?
There were some early information slide/webpage places where they provided expected payback amounts for the different member levels, but I think they have tried to emphasize it is not an "investment" per se to get a membership, plus the full member thing came up, so I don't know that the return amounts are nailed down at present. Maybe it will come up in meetings etc. in the coming months.

Shaneus

Cool, cheers! I'm just trying to weigh up the benefits of being a full member come launch vs. a team member. But I guess we have a few weeks to decide :)

Blizzard

Banned
Cool, cheers! I'm just trying to weigh up the benefits of being a full member come launch vs. a team member. But I guess we have a few weeks to decide :)
I'd say if you can afford the full member status, just jump at it. If they have good sales, the idea is that you'll get the full member money back, plus a little extra, and/or you'll at least get the game for "free" instead of just a discount off the Steam/retail price. Plus that way if they add any full member specific stuff, you won't be regretting it later in the build testing/release.

This is an unrelated note, but I just wanted to say I really love the engine they're using. I'm sure it has problems, and there are flickery shadows sometimes, and it's not photorealistic, but it does a REALLY nice job at what it does. The lighting is awesome, the thing runs smoothly on my 5850, and even the shadows and reflections don't seem to kill performance, aside from right during sunset/sunrise (at least in the old build, haven't tried it in the latest).

Dilly - 1:46.260
Salacious Crumb - 1:46.528 (video)
Arcticfox - 1:48.019

You have three hours to post a new time. I've asked Dilly what car/track he'd like to be next just in case nobody beats him. I'll post the next one when he gets back to me and once the deadline has been and gone :)

Are you constantly recording when you manage to capture something like this? I doubt I could do that with the off chance something crazy *might* happen.
Yeah I just happened to be recording!

This is an unrelated note, but I just wanted to say I really love the engine they're using. I'm sure it has problems, and there are flickery shadows sometimes, and it's not photorealistic, but it does a REALLY nice job at what it does. The lighting is awesome, the thing runs smoothly on my 5850, and even the shadows and reflections don't seem to kill performance, aside from right during sunset/sunrise (at least in the old build, haven't tried it in the latest).
I really want to see where it is in 12-18 months when we're close to a final product. You have to imagine there will be several licks of painted at that point.

But yeah, performance is impressive. I have everything on max (bar AA) at 2048x1152 and I don't dip below 40 when recording with FRAPS. That's optimisation!

Top Bottom