• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

Megasoum

Banned
Try using the Logitech G25 drivers instead. Just install the G25 drivers and connect the PWTS in PS3 mode to use them, some games feel completely different with it (CARS, rF, rF2, etc). I personally use the G25 drivers in most games now on PC.

quick edit: You can still keep the fanatec drivers on the pc, it doesn't cause any problems from what I've seen. So basically you can use both drivers depending on the mode you connect the wheel in (hold back/select and the connect button for PS3 mode I think and just the connect button for PC)

OMG Thank you SO MUCH! This is a completly different world now! The Fanatec using the G25 driver + disabling the spring in the debug menu makes it almost perfect. Maybe a bit of fine tuning left to do but overall this is very playable right now (which is 200% better than before lol).

I just had the most amazing experience I EVER had in a racing game. I started a race at Spa in a Formula A at 6am. It was pitch black (there's obviously no lights on a formula car) so I sat there in my cockpit waiting for the sun to rise (I was set at 60x). A couple of minutes later I started seeing a bit of blue light coming up at the top of Ear Rouge. Five more minutes and I was seeing enough to go so I started to drive slowly and I was getting more and more light as I was going around the track. The lighting system is so fucking amazing that I was getting shade/darks area followed right after with super bright zones when there was clearings in the trees that would let the sun pass trough.

I was imagining myself alone in the morning in the middle of the forest with the F1 engine as the only sound for miles around.

Seriously, this was almost emotional, the most amazing thing I have ever experienced in a game.

mclaren777

I'm surprised that so many of you were (apparently) running with stock setups (including fuel).

Is this the first racing sim for many of you?

Watevaman

I'm surprised that so many of you were (apparently) running with stock setups (including fuel).

No, but I assumed we were keeping a level field to test driver ability. Now that we can use tunes I'll definitely screw around with those.

I suggest for the next iterations we switch the cars up. Maybe the old Lotus F1 on a classic circuit?

Orgun

Hah no! But 1) I always run stock first to get a feel for the car and 2) I suck at setups so I don't bother unless I can pinch someone else's

fresquito

I'm quite new. I've played some LFS before, but I always borrowed setups from the database. Anyway, for me, this little competition only serves as a motivator to learn a track and a car.

BTW, I don't care if people use setups. This is a sim, why would we be willing to forbid setups use?

I suggest for the next iterations we switch the cars up. Maybe the old Lotus F1 on a classic circuit?
I was planning on letting the fastest person choose the next car/track, unless it's the same person every week :p But yeah, it should be a different car and track as much as possible each week.

Also, two big topics went up today:
http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthre...racks-be-Restricted-to-Team-Members-and-Above
http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?4280-Company-structure-changes-coming-soon.

I voted yes and upgraded to Full Member.

Arucardo

I was planning on letting the fastest person choose the next car/track, unless it's the same person every week :p But yeah, it should be a different car and track as much as possible each week.

Also, two big topics went up today:
http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthre...racks-be-Restricted-to-Team-Members-and-Above
http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?4280-Company-structure-changes-coming-soon.

I voted yes and upgraded to Full Member.

Same here, I hope the structure changes are as positive as Ian makes them seem.

Blizzard

Banned
The heads up is as follows:

The terms and conditions of pCARs will remain unchanged for everyone and you'll get all of the agreed benefits.

What is does mean though is that if you are considering upgrading your tool pack/membership level in the future it might be good to do this within the next 2-3 weeks.
Apparently there's a 95% chance of investment being closed down in the near future since they will be fully funded.

Also, apparently the first design meeting is tomorrow at 4:30 GMT, though given my work schedule lately I probably won't be able to attend live.

Arucardo

Reading further in to that thread it seems sign ups will be closed too so if you don't "invest" in the next few weeks you might not be able to play the development builds any time soon, I'll have to keep reading the thread to see if that's true.

Edit: Yeah Ian confirmed you can't get a tool-pack after/if this deal goes through which I assume means you won't get to play the builds either, unless of course they start some sort of beta testing.

Edit2: Reading the log for today's Design Meeting right now. If anyone wants some insight in to what's happening in the future be sure to check this out http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?4289-Design-Meeting-21-03-2012

Blizzard

Banned
Ah yeah, my bad, the first meeting happened today. I wish I could give more input, since I'm not happy about the rally thing (standalone or DLC) -- I feel like it's somewhat not pro-consumer. I'm just one tiny voice though. :^P

However, if the reason is so that the base product can be better in a limited amount of time, that's okay, I just don't want a bunch of paid DLC or cash grab attempts to end up happening. I'm happy with the way the game has gone so far.

Arucardo

OMG Thank you SO MUCH! This is a completly different world now! The Fanatec using the G25 driver + disabling the spring in the debug menu makes it almost perfect. Maybe a bit of fine tuning left to do but overall this is very playable right now (which is 200% better than before lol).

Didn't notice your post before. So glad to hear this and this was exactly my reaction when I discovered this method last month when playing tons of rF, rF2 and CARS.

Ah yeah, my bad, the first meeting happened today. I wish I could give more input, since I'm not happy about the rally thing (standalone or DLC) -- I feel like it's somewhat not pro-consumer. I'm just one tiny voice though. :^P

However, if the reason is so that the base product can be better in a limited amount of time, that's okay, I just don't want a bunch of paid DLC or cash grab attempts to end up happening. I'm happy with the way the game has gone so far.
Not sure how the current engine would even handle "rally physics" and gravel roads. I'm fine with it being dlc as long as it's not overpriced and is of a higher quality thanks to the added development time.

Blizzard

Banned
Oh hmm, maybe I'm clueless then. If rally would involve completely different physics and tracks, then I could see that being separate.

Reading further in to that thread it seems sign ups will be closed too so if you don't "invest" in the next few weeks you might not be able to play the development builds any time soon, I'll have to keep reading the thread to see if that's true.

Edit: Yeah Ian confirmed you can't get a tool-pack after/if this deal goes through which I assume means you won't get to play the builds either, unless of course they start some sort of beta testing.

Edit2: Reading the log for today's Design Meeting right now. If anyone wants some insight in to what's happening in the future be sure to check this out http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?4289-Design-Meeting-21-03-2012

Interesting read.

I think they're certainly going in the right direction. A TOCA-style career using a broad array of cars & rich multiplayer with emphasis on league racing. Cutting fluff like rallying, and car upgrades is very wise, imo. I think stuff like that would be a real trap.

Also for the TT board - 1:47.432 :D 7th in the World. All I did was take some fuel out and add one click of rear wing.

Nice time.

Orgun

Interesting read.

I think they're certainly going in the right direction. A TOCA-style career using a broad array of cars & rich multiplayer with emphasis on league racing. Cutting fluff like rallying, and car upgrades is very wise, imo. I think stuff like that would be a real trap.

Nice time.

TOCA style career would be great but i'm mainly in it for the multiplayer.

Oh, here's a video of my lap - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6k4SGz-Qlc

Bit scrappy.

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #1 - Asano x4 @ Florence GP (Build 174)
markao - 1:46:506 (video)
Orgun - 1:47.432 (video)
Polyphony - 1:47.560
Big Takeover - 1:48.101
Three60 - 1:48.252
Foliorum Viridum - 1:48.260 (video)
Kyaw - 1:48.367
bee - 1:48.958
Metalmurphy - 1:49.161
Whateverman - 1:49.190 (video)
fresquito - 1:49.725

Reminder: Midday GMT on Friday is the deadline! I'm going to have a crack at it again tomorrow night. Like hell I'm being below Orgun.

Ah sorry, with GAF being down I just instantly read this page and not the remaining ones on the last page today :S

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #1 - Asano x4 @ Florence GP (Build 174)
Big Takeover - 1:46.598 (video)

You got close to the top spot!

Salacious Crumb

You're right Foli, the FF is much better.

After a few laps I managed a 1.47.089. Still figuring out the best line so the lap is very sloppy. I'll try to get some more laps in when I get home tonight, but I'll just put this up in case I don't get time.

http://cars-stats.wmdportal.com/index.php/profile?user=9656

http://youtu.be/ZL_VdVXJZSA (super low bitrate sorry, and I forgot to hit record until just after the start line >.<)

How do you save replays?

Oh and assists should definitely be banned.

paskowitz

Project CARS sign Ups Likely To Be Closed Soon!

Back in October 2011, Slightly Mad Studios launched World of Mass Development, a unique portal to fund their upcoming Project CARS title that enables gamers to follow and influence the development of a AAA title from the very beginning.

The concept has been a huge success as almost half a million Euros have been pitched in by members so far, allowing the studio to create a racing simulation based on the community’s wishes and ideals without pressure from a publisher. In return for their financial commitment, members don’t just get to follow the development and try regular development versions but they’ll also get a share of the title’s financial return as well.

There are some significant changes in store though as Slightly Mad Studios will most likely see a big change in company structure during the coming weeks, the studio will be becoming part of something much bigger if everything goes according to plan.

This development will have a very positive effect on Project CARS as it will most likely ensure the full funding needed to complete the development. On the other hand, this will likely result in WMD tool pack signups for Project CARS to be shut down.

What does this mean? Starting from this point that will happen sometime in the next 2-3 weeks, WMD won’t be accepting any new members for the remaining course of the title’s development. So if you want to be part of Project CARS, now’s the time to join WMD or upgrade to a higher tool pack.

The new scenario won’t mean that the original WMD concept is altered though, all existing members stay on board and keep their rights and benefits, the community will just be closed off as additional funding won’t be needed anymore.

Project CARS is still many months away from being released and if you want to be part of the title’s development and enjoy regular development builds, now’s the time to act and join – Otherwise your next chance to enjoy Project CARS will be when it hits the shelves in 2013.

markao

nice lap BT! And sorry about the set-up stuff confusion, I didn't pick up FV's post about it and automatically changed few things, to suit my driving style/circuit lay-out, as I always do.

Things about incoming funding, is no real surprise as it was mentioned a while back and it is obvious that the community funding is not enough to build the game. Just read trough the meeting transcript and overall like the jest of it. Always hoped they would focus a little more instead of trowing in to many things (disciplines) in the single player career and a full support to the MP/server side and it sounds most devs/managers support this way of thinking.

[speculation mode on] One strange dev question about available "720" dev kit, could mean deal is done with a publisher and game will also be launch title for next gen. Andy T. was in Paris last week, I was hoping getting some car licensed to drive on notLeMans next to my Asano, but could it be Ubisoft or ..................................maybe it was just a holiday ;)

Megasoum

Banned
For those who use the Fanatec with the G25 drivers, can you use the sequential shifter in Cars? Looks like it's acting like a gated shifter and there's no option to change it in game. Looks like the only fix would be to allow more than binding per action so that I could bind the paddle and the stick to up/down shift.

fresquito

I've given the new Event a first go. I had never played in Rouen before, so I've been getting a bit used to it (and to the messy shadows!) and to the F68. This is a car I used to hate with a passion in previous builds. No matter what I did, I wasn't capable of driving it. But with the new build, not only feels much better, but I can drive it as well!

I'm over the 2 minutes mark right now, but I will be lowering it in no time.

Orgun

I've given the new Event a first go. I had never played in Rouen before, so I've been getting a bit used to it (and to the messy shadows!) and to the F68. This is a car I used to hate with a passion in previous builds. No matter what I did, I wasn't capable of driving it. But with the new build, not only feels much better, but I can drive it as well!

I'm over the 2 minutes mark right now, but I will be lowering it in no time.

That track/car combo feels great in the latest build. Yeah the shadows are a bit messy and there are FPS drops on a few of the corners but it looks/feels great. The leaves being blown about as you pass is a nice touch :)

Back in October 2011, Slightly Mad Studios launched World of Mass Development, a unique portal to fund their upcoming Project CARS title that enables gamers to follow and influence the development of a AAA title from the very beginning.

The concept has been a huge success as almost half a million Euros have been pitched in by members so far, allowing the studio to create a racing simulation based on the community&#8217;s wishes and ideals without pressure from a publisher. In return for their financial commitment, members don&#8217;t just get to follow the development and try regular development versions but they&#8217;ll also get a share of the title&#8217;s financial return as well.

There are some significant changes in store though as Slightly Mad Studios will most likely see a big change in company structure during the coming weeks, the studio will be becoming part of something much bigger if everything goes according to plan.

This development will have a very positive effect on Project CARS as it will most likely ensure the full funding needed to complete the development. On the other hand, this will likely result in WMD tool pack signups for Project CARS to be shut down.

What does this mean? Starting from this point that will happen sometime in the next 2-3 weeks, WMD won&#8217;t be accepting any new members for the remaining course of the title&#8217;s development. So if you want to be part of Project CARS, now&#8217;s the time to join WMD or upgrade to a higher tool pack.

The new scenario won&#8217;t mean that the original WMD concept is altered though, all existing members stay on board and keep their rights and benefits, the community will just be closed off as additional funding won&#8217;t be needed anymore.

Project CARS is still many months away from being released and if you want to be part of the title&#8217;s development and enjoy regular development builds, now&#8217;s the time to act and join &#8211; Otherwise your next chance to enjoy Project CARS will be when it hits the shelves in 2013.

Er...what exactly does that mean? I don't like where this is going. I take it we won't get weekly builds any longer, will we? Is there a chance that the new publisher overthrows the community's decision to release pCARS on Steam? Will SMS keep listening to user feedback on their forums? What's the risk of pCARS getting consolified/simplified due to the console release now that a publisher is found?

So far, this was shaping up to be a brilliant game but I don't know if like the direction towards SMS is heading.

edit: weekly builds remain.

Sethos

Banned
This has bad news written all over it. Hopefully they will still respect any decision to pull out of the project and pay back the money, because this isn't what I agreed to. I will obviously keep an eye on it but the wrong publisher or decisions to make the game more 'accessible' and I'm out.

Dilly

Banned
Conditions for people who already invested will stay the same as before, it's in the contract and it won't get signed if the publisher insists otherwise.

Watevaman

I'm going to do the same most likely. I paid to be part of the project, be involved, test and find problems. If I'm not going to be able to do that anymore then I'm going to have to step out.

Megasoum

Banned
I don't think it was ever any question of the game being self published. It was obvious from the beginning that they would need to get a publisher at some point. It was also very clear that they would never reach the budget objective with the only contributions from the community.

Now they say that nothing will change, they will keep creative control and all that so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now (wtf...am I suddenly in a Giantbomb thread now? lol).

I don't get why people are surprised or upset about the news. It was long time coming.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
sounds almost like a scam. I'll post a separate thread if they fail with this.

edit: nvm, it's not that bad it seems.

fresquito

No need to panic. Ian has stated that this will not affect the developement direction of pCARS. Now, not that his word is gold or anything, but still.

Yeah I'm not really worried about this. It sounds like it will only be a good thing for the project

Also, updated:

Big Takeover - 1:46.598 (video)
Salacious Crumb - 1:47.089 (video)
Arcticfox - 1:48.894

_machine

Yeah I'm not worried, finalizing the funding means we'll probably start to see more licenses soon and maybe up the ante on production. I'm probably going to upgrade to manager level soon.

Also, tomorrow's my final abitur exam so are we going to have another Time Trial challenge or just participate in the official events?

Top Bottom