• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

D_prOdigy

It's kinda like that GF that used to be madly in love with. You were totally inseperatable, completely comfortable with each other, shared all your stupid stories with, had your sense of humor, got along with the parents, everything was sunshine and rainbows.

But over the years, you started to like her less and less. Things she used to do for you, she doesn't do anymore. That favorite activity you guys did together, she got bored of that, and now all your friends are doing it. Meanwhile, she's taken up a hobby of knitting sweaters for cats and buying an electric car because of the dangers of Global Warming. It gets to the point that all you can do is reminisce about the good old days, and that point you just break it off and find somebody else, like that Sony girl next door, who recently took up your old favorite hobbies you used to do.

And ever since then, you just don't like her whenever you see her in your social circle. Every now and then, you see something about her that makes you remember why you fell in love, but its just not the same. It's not good enough anymore. And it's so much worse because your friends keep talking about her like she's so awesome. I mean, every time someone namedrops her or she shows up, she's the center of fucking attention, it makes you sick at all the wasted potential. "Oh man, isn't she amazing!?" Fuck you dude, she isn't amazing anymore, and she hasn't been in years. So screw her, and screw whatever she is doing. It's gonna suck.

This exact analogy is terrifyingly prevalent.

There has to be some sort of Godwin's law equivalent here. Anyone who invokes the "Nintendo is like a past girlfriend" line should be shown the door.

VAPitts

oh yeah thanks lol

The truly amusing thing about this particular viewpoint is that Nintendo was a dickmove machine at the start. Publishers were limited in how many games they were allowed to make per year, the approval process per game was much more stringent, agreements were harsh and prevented cross platform development (I'm not fully sure about this one, but that's an impression I strongly got). If this is what the honeymoon was like, it's not all too confusing why some game makers ran away as soon as reasonable competition came on the scene.

smh, can u stop pretending u have a brain?

This exact analogy is terrifyingly prevalent.

There has to be some sort of Godwin's law equivalent here. Anyone who invokes the "Nintendo is like a past girlfriend" line should be shown the door.

I think that's actually the first time I've heard that particular analogy. Is it really uttered so often?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
So what was this about IdeaMan's info on the Wii U being disputed?

I don't think many people are really disputing it (how could we?) but it's more like some people are tired of having "information" dangled over us like a pack of wolves. It's not like he is even revealing any earth-shattering news here. It reminds me of what people like PaulGale use to do (most recent I can think of) and we all show how that turned out.

Posters like Wsippel, BGAssassian, ShockingAlberto, and Llhere come in and give us information when they can like it's no big deal. I respect that, and I look froward to what they have to say. What Ideaman does just comes off as attention seeking imo.....

Is it really necessary to step down to personal attacks here?

*sigh* Very well, I'll continue the madness: You, sir, have no spleen!

Try not to stoop to his level please.

*sigh*

We need real news, badly.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
I don't think many people are really disputing it (how could we?) but it's more like some people are tired of having "information" dangled over us like a pack of wolves. It's not like he is even revealing any earth-shattering news here. It reminds me of what people like PaulGale use to do (most recent I can think of) and we all show how that turned out.

Posters like Wsippel, BGAssassian, ShockingAlberto, and Llhere come in and give us information when they can like it's no big deal. I respect that, and I look froward to what they have to say. What Ideaman does just comes off as attention seeking imo.....

Strange that all your late messages focuses on me :) I think we all understood that the teasing part get on your nerves, why repeating it this much, it's not very interesting really.
And i never disappeared after announcing that i'll post an info, it's always occurring at worst 3 days after. So no "i'll say this next month", i'm a tease, but not to this extent :p

Can we jump to another subject please ?

Deguello

It's kinda like that GF that used to be madly in love with. You were totally inseperatable, completely comfortable with each other, shared all your stupid stories with, had your sense of humor, got along with the parents, everything was sunshine and rainbows.

But over the years, you started to like her less and less. Things she used to do for you, she doesn't do anymore. That favorite activity you guys did together, she got bored of that, and now all your friends are doing it. Meanwhile, she's taken up a hobby of knitting sweaters for cats and buying an electric car because of the dangers of Global Warming. It gets to the point that all you can do is reminisce about the good old days, and that point you just break it off and find somebody else, like that Sony girl next door, who recently took up your old favorite hobbies you used to do.

And ever since then, you just don't like her whenever you see her in your social circle. Every now and then, you see something about her that makes you remember why you fell in love, but its just not the same. It's not good enough anymore. And it's so much worse because your friends keep talking about her like she's so awesome. I mean, every time someone namedrops her or she shows up, she's the center of fucking attention, it makes you sick at all the wasted potential. "Oh man, isn't she amazing!?" Fuck you dude, she isn't amazing anymore, and she hasn't been in years. So screw her, and screw whatever she is doing. It's gonna suck.

So then it's not good enough to be happy with your current girlfriend, you have to bring your past one down as far as possible and act like her mere existence and esteem is a threat to yours?

Anybody remember when Peter Parker did this in the Spiderman 3 movie? You know, visibly show off his new girlfriend to his old one in the biggest asshole way possible? That's sort of what I'm seeing at the moment.

This also reminds me of a Midway conference at E3 2006 where they expressed open annoyance that the Wii was VERY popular on the show floor. Like, you know, Nintendo had the absolute GALL to remain relevant and that customers were going to buy a product that they had written off, from a company that they had also written off.

pvpness

I really don't get the Nintendo hate. I must admit, when I first joined a gaming forum after playing Nintendo consoles for a while, I was shocked by it.

I'd really like to know why Nintendo are so awful that everyone apparently wants them to fail.

If Nintendo had dared to offer something as bad as the "PS Vita Game Heaven" broadcast, the net would be raging - yet, when Sony do it, they get a free pass. Apart from this site, I haven't seen a single gaming blog saying "You know that Vita Game Heaven broadcast? Terrible, wasn't it?"

I think it has a lot to do with marketing. In the niche sectors of the video game industry there's always been two camps; Camp Nintendo, and Camp everybody else. Camp everybody else has literally spent millions of dollars telling would be customers that Nintendo is all kinds of things in hopes that they'll come to Camp everybody else and stay for awhile.

Most people don't let go of things they're taught to hate.

Knew I should have gone with a girlfriend analogy. Damnit.

Also I'm not suggesting that there aren't valid reasons to hate Nintendo, because I think they can leave a lot to be desired in some areas. Just seems very much like a Ford/Chevy, Repub/Dem thing to me for a lot of people.

VAPitts

Try not to stoop to his level please.

*sigh*

We need real news, badly.

well i mean this is nothing new with Nintendo. these people here are willing to attack the company as a whole, it's integrity as a business and everything else just because they can't get news that they're trying to keep from the competitor. YES the competitor. as far as the other guy your right, i'm just getting tired of him delibrately trolling.

BY2K

Membero Americo

With Nintendo's recent financial crisis, and if the Wii U is the failure I think it's going to be, this could be the last home console they ever make.

ujHBT.png

Skiesofwonder

Strange that all your late messages focuses on me :) I think we all understood that the teasing part get on your nerves, why repeating it this much, it's not very interesting really.
And i never disappeared after announcing that i'll post an info, it's always occurring at worst 3 days after. So no "i'll say this next month", i'm a tease, but not to this extent :p

Can we jump to another subject please ?

That is only the second time I have posted such a thought, and he asked for it.

*Shrugs*

So then it's not good enough to be happy with your current girlfriend, you have to bring your past one down as far as possible and act like her mere existence and esteem is a threat to yours?

It makes them feel better about their choices.

Also, a big factor is the GF has this HUGE FANATICAL ENTOURAGE, their bodies ready to wipe her nose after every sneeze, and the sneeze is one of the best things they've ever seen. It made them say "wow".

Sadist

Also, a big factor is the GF has this HUGE FANATICAL ENTOURAGE, their bodies ready to wipe her nose after every sneeze, and the sneeze is one of the best things they've ever seen. It made them say "wow".
... ... ... ...

wat

Deguello

Is the characterization of the past girlfriend's "entourage" as fanatics still part of the analogy as far as the jilted jealous past boyfriend's viewpoint, or is it an objective observance?

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
I think it has a lot to do with marketing. In the niche sectors of the video game industry there's always been two camps; Camp Nintendo, and Camp everybody else. Camp everybody else has literally spent millions of dollars telling would be customers that Nintendo is all kinds of things in hopes that they'll come to Camp everybody else and stay for awhile.

Most people don't let go of things they're taught to hate.

Knew I should have gone with a girlfriend analogy. Damnit.

Also I'm not suggesting that there aren't valid reasons to hate Nintendo, because I think they can leave a lot to be desired in some areas. Just seems very much like a Ford/Chevy, Repub/Dem thing to me for a lot of people.

I have found memories of the Nintendo Vs Sega war back in the days (8 & 16 bits). I remember the Brand Clashes. Even more heated and fanboyish than what we have now, but more fun in a sense.
It was like Beatles Vs Rolling Stones you know, Ferrari Vs Lamborghini, French Food vs Italian. Different tastes and all. Well, i guess i'm recalling this through rose tainted glasses :p

In the recent period, it's too serious, too doom & gloom. Perhaps because of Sega retirement as a manufacturer. It's still a shock in gamer's subconscious, so now that what was just hypothesis and nightmares came to reality, we fear that the current events may lead to another failure of this kind (even if the situation is different), thus the over-the-top-dramatic-jump-to-conclusions-and-predictions.

You'll go far around here, methinks.

Let me expand on this, because I don't want to dance around the issue when we can increase the number of good posters instead of just having them end up vanishing suddenly.

This forum is different from the other ones on the Internet. It tries to value genuine conversation and discussion on its topics. Because of this, some things are either banned or simply not recommended.

Personal attacks are one of these.

Sometimes, someone will write something that you disagree with. On other message board, responses such as "no u" are considered to be valid counterarguments. Here, it is highly valued for a poster to quote the thing that he or she disagrees with and explain in detail why he thinks that the quotation is inaccurate citing examples, additional assertions, and even counterexamples of their own assertions which work against their own side in the debate. There is nothing more awesome than a poster who writes, "My opinion is X, and here are the reasons, but I can understand why you might think Y, because of these other reasons."

I hope that this makes sense. VAPitts, I'd be personally overjoyed if you responded to a post of mine that expanded the conversation. I have no troubles being incorrect in a debate, but I'd prefer to be told why I'm wrong instead of simply being told that I'm wrong.

tl;dr: I like NeoGAF and hope we can all get along and debate with sincerity and conviction. Also, Sega's version of SF2 sucked.

Dude

You need actual help

Skiesofwonder

I'm spelling it out for the slower kids in the back.

A lot of people dislike of Nintendo comes from their annoyance of the rabid Nintendo fanbase.

A year ago I would of called you crazy. But this thread has started to make me believe that such a thing is possible......

I'm sorry guys, but lately logic and rationality is not one of our strong suites.

Edit: See, this is the problem. Somebody comes in here with a different opinion and everybody starts throwing shit his way. I don't care how crazy the analogy is, it doesn't justify some of the responses in this thread. You wonder why the sports threads were moved to the Community forum? It's because of this behavior right now.

qq more

What in the fuck?

HylianTom

Banned
I really don't get the Nintendo hate. I must admit, when I first joined a gaming forum after playing Nintendo consoles for a while, I was shocked by it.

I'd really like to know why Nintendo are so awful that everyone apparently wants them to fail.

If Nintendo had dared to offer something as bad as the "PS Vita Game Heaven" broadcast, the net would be raging - yet, when Sony do it, they get a free pass. Apart from this site, I haven't seen a single gaming blog saying "You know that Vita Game Heaven broadcast? Bit rubbish, wasn't it?"

It's gotten pretty blatant, especially over the past generation. Our media here in the west has become something of an HD echo chamber, sponsored by Microsoft and Code Red Mountain Dew.

Over the past few years, we've witnessed considerable growth of Nintendo enthusiast websites run more by fans than by companies. We have also seen the emergence of Nintendo-centric podcasting; I'm guessing that there was demand for this content since the "professionals" on 1Up, IGN, etc either ignore or bash Nintendo. (Well, either that.. or they give a token segment once in a while before returning to their detailed, heated discussion about what their favorite weapon is in Gray Space Marine 23.) And I know that the popular counter-argument is that there's not much to talk about, but it wears thin when multiple Nintendo podcasts somehow magically produce weekly shows lasting an hour or more.

This is all not a coincidence. Nintendo fans are taking their clicks elsewhere, they're creating their own content, and they're downloading radio shows without the attitude. They're looking for coverage without the elitist attitude. Can they really be blamed?

There are some days where I wish Nintendo would say "Fuck You!" to the crappy major sites and go directly to the community sites. Gaming "journalism" is broken already, and while going directly to fans' sites may be a bit tunnel-visioned, at least it's not as sad as when Nintendo rewards the hardcorier-than-thou persons who continue to malign and snipe every time they turn around.

And that's my "I strongly dislike gaming media" rant of the week.

No, seriously

Professionals need to be involved here. I am not at all kidding. That is not the thing someone with a rational preference/dislike of anything would write.

Emitan

No, seriously

Professionals need to be involved here. I am not at all kidding. That is not the thing someone with a rational preference/dislike of anything would write.

You're just saying that because you're a Nintendo fanboy. Look at how much you hated that Sonic game! Obviously the thoughts of an irrational fanboy.

The interesting thing here is the fact that, as the analogy was about Nintendo failing, ViewtifulJC is actually saying that, should he have an ex-girlfriend who's popular and successful, she needs to die.

Huh.

tl;dr: I like NeoGAF and hope we can all get along and debate with sincerity and conviction. Also, Sega's version of SF2 sucked.

There's a non-Sega version of Shining Force 2??

Kidding, of course. The Genesis Street Fighters had some serious audio inferiority, never mind playing with 3 buttons on the default controller. Also, in case we misunderstood each other, I agree with everything you just said.

You try to ligthen the air to explain jaded fanboy perspectives, and you get asked about psychiatric help.

This thread REALLY needs E3. We are out for blood.

There's a non-Sega version of Shining Force 2??

Kidding, of course. The Genesis Street Fighters had some serious audio inferiority, never mind playing with 3 buttons on the default controller. Also, in case we misunderstood each other, I agree with everything you just said.

Interestingly, I didn't really care about the difference between the two (especially the audio, as that's never been a big thing for me). I did miss out, though, on playing the game with the six-button controller, which probably would have been ideal for that sort of game.

Equating preferences of console manufacturers to people, and talking about how they changed and everyone but you is wrong, is really fucking weird and creepy.

It does not really matter which console manufacturer it is! Like watch this:

"Sony is like this girl I used to date who was fun and had expensive tastes, but I am so sick of people standing up for her when I disparage her. Fuck those people. She sucks."

"Microsoft is like this new girl I am dating, but I hate it when guys fawn over her. This makes her terrible."

Nibel

A year ago I would of called you crazy. But this thread has started to make me believe that such a thing is possible......

I'm sorry guys, but lately logic and rationality is not one of our strong suites.

Edit: See, this is the problem. Somebody comes in here with a different opinion and everybody starts throwing shit his way. I don't care how crazy the analogy is, it doesn't justify some of the responses in this thread. You wonder why the sports threads were moved to the Community forum? It's because of this behavior right now.

Can you read? Read his previous posts again and tell me that the complsints about them aren't justified.

This is a speculation thread, there are times where you can find rational and good posts and then there are times where we are going circles. Either you can live with it or just ignore th thread.

There is a defense force for everything.

I'll put in my 2 cents. I have not been happy with the choices Nintendo has made this gen. The hardware, and the games. I certainly won't say I hated what they had to offer, but they've made moves I haven't been happy with. Quite a few of their first party games even feel somewhat lacking.

I'm not saying this to express a distain for Nintendo, but to say that even though they have disappointed me as of late, but I don't expect them to completely lose my interest. They always seem to have something good going for them even at their lowest.

I have a feeling there they are going to do things quite differently next gen, and it's always interesting to see how that will play out, for better or worse. I'm excited to see what they have going on.

I completely agree.

You try to ligthen the air to explain jaded fanboy perspectives, and you get asked about psychiatric help.

This thread REALLY needs E3. We are out for blood.

Man, you had a chance to play it off as a joke before you doubled-down.

I'm spelling it out for the slower kids in the back.

A lot of people dislike of Nintendo comes from their annoyance of the rabid Nintendo fanbase.

It's too late now. I am actually genuinely concerned.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
It's gotten pretty blatant, especially over the past generation. Our media here in the west has become something of an HD echo chamber, sponsored by Microsoft and Code Red Mountain Dew.

Over the past few years, we've witnessed considerable growth of Nintendo enthusiast websites run more by fans than by companies. We have also seen the emergence of Nintendo-centric podcasting; I'm guessing that there was demand for this content since the "professionals" on 1Up, IGN, etc either ignore or bash Nintendo. (Well, either that.. or they give a token segment once in a while before returning to their detailed, heated discussion about what their favorite weapon is in Gray Space Marine 23.) And I know that the popular counter-argument is that there's not much to talk about, but it wears thin when multiple Nintendo podcasts somehow magically produce weekly shows lasting an hour or more.

This is all not a coincidence. Nintendo fans are taking their clicks elsewhere, they're creating their own content, and they're downloading radio shows without the attitude. They're looking for coverage without the elitist attitude. Can they really be blamed?

There are some days where I wish Nintendo would say "Fuck You!" to the crappy major sites and go directly to the community sites. Gaming "journalism" is broken already, and while going directly to fans' sites may be a bit tunnel-visioned, at least it's not as sad as when Nintendo rewards the hardcorier-than-thou persons who continue to malign and snipe every time they turn around.

And that's my "I strongly dislike gaming media" rant of the week.

Oh they came to Nintendo-centric websites since the internet debuts actually, but for community management things, animation, invitations to E3 or other showrooms (and as a lot of people, i enjoyed benefiting from it to create content about the brand, previews, interviews etc.). Also organizing contests with rewards supplied by Nintendo. Not a lot of exclusive info, yes. They weren't really doing this even for major generalist sites. But i understand what you say. And Iwata Asks and their other recent promotional/game development presentations efforts are somewhat linked to this media situation.

Edit: ACHIEVEMENT: FIRST POST OF A NEW PAGE, TWICE IN A ROW: +100 skill points

Nintendo is like that puppy you loved really dearly, then you went off to college and hung out with the "cool kids" Sega, Sony and MS. You come home and find out it left you for companionship with a rich Nintendog owned by Miyamoto and now you rage about how the dog isn't going to last another winter because of your jealousy.

Long story short, if you hate Nintendo and want them to die, just get over it and go find new friends.

It would be awesome if Nintendo really beefed up their E3 page to be more interactive and up to date with media from the e3 floor, interviews and summaries. Instead of just having screenshots and videos of announced games.

That way I wouldn't have to go to rely on other sites with their shoddy coverage.

IDK, maybe I should have expected this reaction, but I'm kinda uncomfortable being in this thread now. That was quite the outburst, including multiple passive-aggresive attempts to color me as irrational/mentally unstable.

I admit it wasn't the best analogy in the world, but I didn't expect uh...that, kind of response.

...That was kinda awkward and alarmingly there for a minute, Wii-U Speculation Thread. I'm gonna try and move on now, and uh...not try and explain anti-Nintendo comments in analogies anymore?

Top Bottom