• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of Final Fantasy's 25th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

ninjatrigg

Neo Member
I beat FFAnniversary for PSP a few days ago.

IJXYR.jpg

Im about midway through FFAnniversary II

My plan is:

FFIAnniversary - PSP
FFIIAnniversary - PSP
FFIII - DS (im up for recommendations on a better way to play it)
FFIV Complete - PSP
FFV - PSone classic on PSP
FFVI - " on PSP (or GBA if the load times are unbearable)
FFVII - " on PSP
FFVIII - " on PSP
FFIX - " on PSP
FFX - Hopefully the Vita remake is out by then
and so on...

Part VI: Making Progress

Okay so I'm going to skip through my journey a bit quicker than usually. I have been playing this game sporadically over the past two weeks and don't really remember why I took some screenshots. So here are some highlights.

Bt6oU.jpg

First, I've retrieved Floating Shoes from a sewer. I don't think I had any trouble with the dungeon, and there wasn't even a boss fight.

With the Shoes, I was able to cross the swamp to reach Goldor's mansion. These horses were a pain in the rear end, as you can see.

hVHdg.jpg

But Goldor himself was really easy.

Gj4Fn.jpg

Somwhere around this time, I decided to ditch my black mage. The only times I used him were during boss fights, but even then his magic didn't do much. I needed more basic, raw power so I chose a Monk for the time being.

Goldor had the Earth crystal, but he destroyed it. Oh. So after flying around for a bit, finding places I didn't really had a need for (like a summoner village), I got shot out of the air in this big place.

zpsGU.jpg

The first time I met Gardua, I was completely and utterly unprepared. Turns out just one Dragoon isn't enough.

4KofW.jpg

With four of them, I still only got lucky in winning.

LNg1r.jpg

After this whole ordeal, I got the Nautilus, which is superfast.

SlAhF.jpg

I made my way to Dorga's mansion, who has moogles that sell some great magic spells.

9TCiP.jpg
G2B4t.jpg

Another mini-dungeon awaited me. This time, running away was not an option, so I died. Damn these mini-dungeons!

MLtpi.jpg
2duNE.jpg

Luckily, with the Thief's Escape option, running away was a bit easier. Also I really dislike that Thief sprite.

At the end of the dungeon I received an upgrade to my Nautilus, so now it can go underwater. Some truly terrifying enemies awaited me there.

gmv6p.jpg
zXnUU.jpg

Here I found the temple of time. Some of the enemies hit me quite hard, but overall it wasn't too tough a dungeon. Once again no boss fight. Just a lute.

YFGsg.jpg
NwwiJ.jpg
CxK9r.jpg

I used the Lute on Unne and together we made our way to the ancient ruins. The enemies here are amazingly awful.

jpWAv.jpg

These guys just hit REALLY hard.

2jyvB.jpg

But THESE guys just keep multiplying. Oh man.

And now I am kind of stuck in this dungeon, as I am facing hordes of deathclaws who multiply when hit once, and who can kill me in ONE hit, even my Knight! Am I underleveled, or is this dungeon just a difficulty spike? D:

Heropon

DADg0.png
UqO9d.png

I forgot taking Gogo to journeys, but it's because he/she can't equip espers, but now he/she's underleveled. I like my little Sabin's weak clone.

uU9li.png
VpB6G.png
3Pn8b.png

There are some things I forgot in the ancient castle.

83yow.png
CuQFy.png

I didn't forgot this room but I wanted to teach Meteor to some characters before coming here again. They find one of the eight dragons there.

hFTRk.png
wCbHt.png
haKaV.png

It casts Tsunami (CleanSweep, what?) at first turn. Terra's earring/Esper powered Bolt3/Thundaga takes care of it. This dragon gives the Zantetsuken/Scimitar.

NzoR4.png
bImFn.png

The queen is another Celes clone, and thanks to her a new magicite is adquired. This one teaches the Quick spell (two actions in one turn for the user).

KE73U.png
vhjBd.png
PadIe.png

The next dragon is annoying the impresario.

osE4t.png
Z2aKJ.png

Another dragon dispatched.

qWurW.png
upGp8.png
PpkB3.png

The third dragon is in Narshe. It can freeze, but I can burn. It gives a Power Shield (bad defense, great magic defense).

O5sGE.png
nTZU3.png
s41Nk.png
0nmW7.png

My fourth dragon is going to be the fire dragon. It's the complete opposite of the last dragon.

yb2X8.png

It guards a relic that improves the jump command (only good with a lance/spear).

3Qzi1.png
qTtgq.png
Pv2hl.png
1Hre1.png

And the last dragon in a previously visited place is the Storm Dragon. It seems I don't need to hit its weak spot to do massive damage thanks to Ultima.

jhDdP.png
Vw4Zq.png

And here comes the last sidequest (I won't do the Ebot's Rock one), the Fanatics' Tower. Only magic can be used here, but don't be afraid, Mog can use his charm so there's only two battles in this tower.

6mKpE.png
tTSLX.png

There are some nice treasures in this place.

EfGvp.png
eWOiH.png
e3dio.png
9oVML.png

And dragons. This monster starts with Holy/Pearl, but thanks to Ultima spamming it dies quickly.

LbJOE.png
4VNap.png
XmmpP.png

Our heroes continue their pilfering operation.

YNCUB.png
LU7LF.png
38Rig.png
er2vV.png

And the last floor contains a thing that makes Ultima-spamming easier, but our heroes are trapped by sectarians.

3l9dK.png
X8Qw5.png
8f1kK.png

They release a monster, MagiMaster. Strategy: Berserk him so he doesn't cast powerful spells, protect the party with Life3/Reraise and spam Ultima. I love that last part, incredibly intelligent, ya?

tuyY8.png
wp7Fg.png

Using Life3 on everyone pays off.

L14XU.png
gIWfe.png
6OePN.png
GgCnO.png

Warp doesn't work here so the group has to go down walking. BONUS: There is a switch in the first treasure room to get Edgar's Air Anchor.

Heropon

YOQ0m.png
FBwbP.png
8AcOq.png
Nivtx.png

Let's finish this game! This is the reason to get 12+ characters, forming three non-gimped groups.

c0oK4.png
o0vwD.png
oawRl.png

Each group starts in a different place.

bTUt8.png
nF3Iy.png
AF3Gg.png

Terra's group kills monsters along the way until they can't continue. Who will save them?

e2m58.png
eLcFw.png
Be3qp.png

Celes and her minions find Atma (Ultima Buster) in a jail cell and they fight it and kill it thanks to some spell with the same name as the monster. A save point appears when they thought they would get something better as that was an optional monster.

OtyC8.png
sA5x5.png
UGAf2.png

Remember these enemies? They're easier to kill! ...but only give 3AP :(
The right pipe is a trap!

eof9X.png
K0kfH.png
Etd4S.png

Just when they forgot about the 8 dragons, the thunder-elemental one appears. It goes down easy thanks to the U spell.

kapnj.png

End of the road.

ZeTto.png
Qximv.png
e3PKX.png
vv46Y.png

Relm's group encounters another boss. It has a powerful attack, but nothing that Life2 can't solve.

oYAiE.png
ODxnN.png
KxYzc.png
0ikma.png

And the last dragon appears! Oh noes! I can't abuse Osmose, let's hope I don't spend all my MP. The monster was history before that could happen. The reward for all the troubles is the last magicite, Crusader.

g5mBb.png
J1pP1.png
riLz3.png
jIxyv.png

I think there's something I forgot...

er9PX.png
fK3N9.png
Q68kE.png

The first part of the dungeon ends.

SapWY.png
GFICz.png
0CWzx.png

There's another boss before confronting the Warring Triad. Ultros continues annoying from his grave the coliseum.

Hm3lu.png
VQ40X.png
Zax5o.png
DNyHG.png

The next enemies in the queue are the three statues. I don't know how I put Strago in the group that battles Doom always.

62jde.png
npQL9.png

Kefka must be killed to destroy the magic.

IiIFR.png
8Peqn.png
nIAwp.png

It's good to talk a little before killing people.

zNuTY.png
V9Kzl.png
E5saA.png

1st round: When I killed it, it started spamming an attack until it killed Sabin. That means that he disappeared for the next round.
2nd round: I think it's the most dangerous: Four targets that can spam status-inducing spells one after the other, but not status like Blind, but stone, freeze, confusion, etc. So equip ribbons! One form uses Graviga when it dies, and another attacks ten times in the same circumstance.
3rd round: The woman can cure and the man casts powerful spells. He can also silence everyone in the party.

d329A.png
Hk4vU.png
PdVpJ.png

Kefka: If someone has survived the last three rounds, it's pretty difficult to die against him. He does an attack that leaves everyone at 1 HP, be careful.

Nquqy.png
mbIyX.png
tjrUj.png
gc30J.png

YUrG7.png
5LgWz.png

THE END

Ourobolus

Banned
Part VI: Making Progress

Okay so I'm going to skip through my journey a bit quicker than usually. I have been playing this game sporadically over the past two weeks and don't really remember why I took some screenshots. So here are some highlights.

Bt6oU.jpg

First, I've retrieved Floating Shoes from a sewer. I don't think I had any trouble with the dungeon, and there wasn't even a boss fight.

With the Shoes, I was able to cross the swamp to reach Goldor's mansion. These horses were a pain in the rear end, as you can see.

hVHdg.jpg

But Goldor himself was really easy.

Gj4Fn.jpg

Somwhere around this time, I decided to ditch my black mage. The only times I used him were during boss fights, but even then his magic didn't do much. I needed more basic, raw power so I chose a Monk for the time being.

Goldor had the Earth crystal, but he destroyed it. Oh. So after flying around for a bit, finding places I didn't really had a need for (like a summoner village), I got shot out of the air in this big place.

zpsGU.jpg

The first time I met Gardua, I was completely and utterly unprepared. Turns out just one Dragoon isn't enough.

4KofW.jpg

With four of them, I still only got lucky in winning.

LNg1r.jpg

After this whole ordeal, I got the Nautilus, which is superfast.

SlAhF.jpg

I made my way to Dorga's mansion, who has moogles that sell some great magic spells.

9TCiP.jpg
G2B4t.jpg

Another mini-dungeon awaited me. This time, running away was not an option, so I died. Damn these mini-dungeons!

MLtpi.jpg
2duNE.jpg

Luckily, with the Thief's Escape option, running away was a bit easier. Also I really dislike that Thief sprite.

At the end of the dungeon I received an upgrade to my Nautilus, so now it can go underwater. Some truly terrifying enemies awaited me there.

gmv6p.jpg
zXnUU.jpg

Here I found the temple of time. Some of the enemies hit me quite hard, but overall it wasn't too tough a dungeon. Once again no boss fight. Just a lute.

YFGsg.jpg
NwwiJ.jpg
CxK9r.jpg

I used the Lute on Unne and together we made our way to the ancient ruins. The enemies here are amazingly awful.

jpWAv.jpg

These guys just hit REALLY hard.

2jyvB.jpg

But THESE guys just keep multiplying. Oh man.

And now I am kind of stuck in this dungeon, as I am facing hordes of deathclaws who multiply when hit once, and who can kill me in ONE hit, even my Knight! Am I underleveled, or is this dungeon just a difficulty spike? D:

The enemies that split require a Dark Knight to defeat them. When a Dark Knight attacks they don't split.
However, when I did it w/o a Dark Knight, you have to take into account that if, say an enemy with 1600 HP takes 800 dmg (and thus has 800 HP left), and he splits, his copy only has 800 HP. Knowing that, it's simple to take out the rest. However, since it seems that you aren't doing a Four-Job-Fiesta, go get a Dark Knight and equip him with the necessary equipment, and they won't split.

Ourobolus

Banned
Finally done with FF4. God I hate this game (OK, I don't hate it, but it easily battles FF2 for "worst Final Fantasy" daily).
So I make it to the Moon. Yay.:
pic_0040.jpg

Yay, first weapon for Edge!
pic_0042.jpg

And the best default weapon for Cecil...
pic_0044.jpg
pic_0045.jpg

And finally, a better weapon for Kain. Damn Gungnir wasn't cutting it.
pic_0048.jpg

And of course, Ribbons for me ladies.
pic_0052.jpg
pic_0053.jpg

Oddly enough, Ogopogo never used Deluge once. Only used Frost Blast the entire fight.
pic_0056.jpg

Made it all the way to Zemus...yawn...
pic_0062.jpg
pic_0070.jpg
pic_0073.jpg

And knocked Zeromus out. Took a bit, but nothing too terrible. Finally, FFIV is DOWN! Onward to FFVI!
pic_0078.jpg

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Finally done with FF4. God I hate this game (OK, I don't hate it, but it easily battles FF2 for "worst Final Fantasy" daily).

Going through my playthrough right now, and starting to feel that way as well. My last playthrough was the DS version, which is probably why I remember enjoying it more than this playthrough on the PSP.

Natetan

I mean, yeah. It's not as replayable as your FFV or what have you. There's not enough variety or choice for that.

But for me, it's the complete package. Characters, world, story. Graphics, music, overall charm (moreso in the original version).

If you're not feeling it, you're not feeling it. It just makes me a little sad when people don't enjoy what, to me, is still a classic.

I totally agree, I love the original version. If you speed run it it's really fun too I really enjoy replaying it. FFVI not as much though...

And actually I really like FFII as well. I'm suprised there isn't less agonizing through FFIII. That game is just not very fun.

Ourobolus

Banned
I mean, yeah. It's not as replayable as your FFV or what have you. There's not enough variety or choice for that.

But for me, it's the complete package. Characters, world, story. Graphics, music, overall charm (moreso in the original version).

If you're not feeling it, you're not feeling it. It just makes me a little sad when people don't enjoy what, to me, is still a classic.

Oh, I understand WHY people like it and consider it a classic. I didn't play FFIV for the first time until something like 1998, with VI being my first FF earlier in '95.

It's really not a bad game, but I was really glad the DS version came out and added ways to customize your party.

Esura

Banned

I agree 100%.

I normally jokingly call FFIV the true FFI because of how it seems to impact the later FFs a lot in terms of story and characters and stuff.

Part VII: Let's split up

Thanks to some advice in this thread (thanks, people!), and by abusing the hell out of the save state/load mechanism, I somehow barely make it out of the cave alive. Since I didn't have any equipment for the M. Knight, I had to use my regular guys. Oh well. At least I'm out of this gimmick dungeon.

I find and awesome airship, The Invincible (hey, I remember you from FFIX), which has all kinds of goodies, including a fat chocobo. Liftoff!

8jwgV.jpg
gRCK2.jpg

And I make my way to the cave of darkness.

j7O7e.jpg
sS9wC.jpg

Oh Goddamnit. Yeah, this isn't working. I need proper M. Knights. I use a faq to find out there are a few sidequests I can do now, including one specifically for M. Knights. Great! The equipment for the M. Knights is really expensive, though. Along the way, I fight this guy:

CDw37.jpg
L3A7w.jpg

The guy hits hard but has low HP. With a little luck I make it on my first try.

BLqew.jpg

Then, I head back to the floating continent to finally find out what is haunting the pond here.

JSfzi.jpg

By this time, I have enough equipment to make two fully functioning M. Knights. And they are pretty amazing. Powerhouses, really. But so are some of the enemies here. I love how sea lions are actual lions.

6FVPP.jpg

These are some of the toughest enemies I've faced in terms of sheer force, they hit for a ton of damage each. But then, everything here gives amazing exp and gil, so I level up a ton and make easy money for my M. Knight team.

XqjWH.jpg
VCeM0.jpg

The first time didn't go so well. This battle, to me, also came down to luck. It all depended on how often Leviathan used Tidal Wave, or Tsunami or you know the one. Two of those and my entire team got wiped. But his physical attacks were weak, so after a few tries:

KBugu.jpg

Then I also decided to take on Bahamut, but it didn't go well. One megaflare later:

MdDzT.jpg

But by this time I have gained a lot of levels and I have enough money for my M. Knight team. Let's try this again, shall we?

Ef69o.jpg

But man, the game is really starting to show its teeth. I can only admire the people who used to play this back in the day, without savestates and speedup toggles. It must have been relentless. Fights like the Leviathan are just atrocious if you have to do the entire cave again. That, and I feel as though the times I get backattacked or ambushed are off the charts. It also mostly means it's a lost battle straight from the start, since I keep missing and they keep hitting me extra hard.

Chocobo Racing, chapter 9:
pic_0323.png

Chapter nine opens with a not-surprise and a cutscene, which was fairly impressive for the time and much more than expected from a racing game.
pic_0327.png
pic_0331.png

Music for the cutscene is the theme of the character you're about to meet, but uses Dancing Mad (FF6) + Sealed Book (FF5).
pic_0333.png
pic_0345.png
pic_0353.png

Meet Bahamut. Bahamut flies, is rather fast, and has one of the most annoying abilities to race against in the entire game. Bahamut's ability is Megaflare (Could it really have been anything else?) Which brings all other racers to a stop and is not blocked by anything. No dodging, no barrier, no reflect. You do at least get a warning; the screen goes dark for a second before it actually hits. Not that you can do anything about it.
pic_0356.png
pic_0364.png

But Bahamut isn't really the final boss; the REAL final boss is the Fantasia track you have to race him on. Fantasia is long, has some very interesting turns, and tends not to have walls in places where walls would be really useful (notably, the opening series of turns, so you can fall behind very quickly if this track is new to you). Also, Megaflare.
pic_0373.png
pic_0376.png
pic_0377.png

I still manage to come in first by a fairly large margin.
pic_0416.png

Game complete.
pic_0442.png
pic_0443.png
pic_0475.png

The game's ending theme is the only original composition in the entire game, and it's still pretty good.
pic_0561.png
pic_0563.png

But this isn't done. Several surprises await after the credits roll, but they'll have to wait until next time.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So I decided to play FFVI on PSN.

Fucking Ultros murdering Banon all the time.

I beat FFAnniversary for PSP a few days ago.

IJXYR.jpg

Im about midway through FFAnniversary II

My plan is:

FFIAnniversary - PSP
FFIIAnniversary - PSP
FFIII - DS (im up for recommendations on a better way to play it)
FFIV Complete - PSP
FFV - PSone classic on PSP
FFVI - " on PSP (or GBA if the load times are unbearable)
FFVII - " on PSP
FFVIII - " on PSP
FFIX - " on PSP
FFX - Hopefully the Vita remake is out by then
and so on...

This is more or less exactly that I wanted to do

Don't know how I can play FFI and II though as they never released them stateside right? Also, I'm skipping 3 on DS. Don't own it anymore and beating once was enough for me.

Ourobolus

Banned

Don't know how I can play FFI and II though as they never released them stateside right? Also, I'm skipping 3 on DS. Don't own it anymore and beating once was enough for me.

Stateside releases of FFI: NES, PSX, GBA, PSP, iOS
Stateside releases of FFII: PSX, GBA, PSP, iOS

jaxword

P.S.
Fun fact! Remember this from the last update?
vqYyi.png

Well, if you listen to what they're saying here, and try drawing lines between the four Orb locations...

r0WAu.png

...it turns out to not quite get you anywhere. Fun!

I'd be MORE surprised if they actually put in the effort to edit the map to be pixel perfect to fit a one-off text reference. Especially as no one 25 years ago would have access to digital maps and be able to tell this.

rybrad

Just finished my playthrough of FFVI, it was an absolute blast and I forgot how much I liked the ending. My only complaint is that I read on the Mog lines in the awful Mog voice from FFXIII-2. I think I am going to move on to FFXII IZJ next as I have never played that version and then circle back around to VII.

Going back through all of these old games has been a lot of fun. I am surprised how well so many of these have aged.

Would love a Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon for iOS with all the stuff added to the Wii version. Held out on the DS one after hearing about the Wii update, which never came. :/

Hope SE's next iOS sale is soon. Waiting for that to get into the FFIII remake.

Heropon

I don't know what's happening lately, but FF7 is acting extremely buggy with the CFW. I was eager to make walkthroughs of the PSX era Final Fantasies, but I don't want to lose progress every hour, so I think I won't post screenshots :(

Aeana

I'm probably going to start FF7 soon. Maybe today.
I'm going to do my best to keep up with the screenshots, since this is the game out of all of them that I like doing it with the most.

Labadal

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2

I'm now the master of all territories and have completed 235 quests. I can't believe I have 165 quests left, lol.

My party's levels are around 47-50.

I'm rotating my party members more now. I also have the perfect setup for lazy moments (12 random party memberss), because sometimes I simply dispatch some people if the mission sounds boring. I do try to do most of the missions without dispatching, only problem is that I get a lot of missions at the same time and I don't want to miss them.

My favorite units are Cid, with his White Monk/Bishop combo and a Bangaa White Monk/Gladiator. I don't even know if those are good class combo's, but they are beasts. I laso have a Viera Elementalist/Summoner(or Geomancer). Starting to get most of the higher level unique equipment and that helps a lot on more challenging battles.

I really should finish this up so I can finally play Tales of the Abyss without interupption.

Link1110

I'd be MORE surprised if they actually put in the effort to edit the map to be pixel perfect to fit a one-off text reference. Especially as no one 25 years ago would have access to digital maps and be able to tell this.

We had Nintendo Power with its full maps.

Heropon

I love choosing the rude answers in FF7 (and Golden Sun, poor Kraden). The only time I didn't was to buy the flower so I could give it to Marlene.

The characters had psychedelic moments in the Sector 5 Reactor and the train graveyard (the latter made me return to the Wall Market, grrrrr). The last problem was an infinite loop in the victory fanfare at Shinra HQ, titirirí titirirí titi titi titirirí titirirí titi titi...).

Don Corneo chose Cloud, and thanks to that I could dodge two battles, great!

And I think I can't highlight more things.
How often do people try to steal in this game? The low rate makes me not use it, but if someone convinces me I could give it a try (Tifa has the materia equipped right now).

Jucksalbe

Banned
How often do people try to steal in this game? The low rate makes me not use it, but if someone convinces me I could give it a try (Tifa has the materia equipped right now).
If I remember it right, you can upgrade Steal to Mug and make that your normal attack.

It's dependent on your Dex, so it's gonna be real low in all of Midgar. Stick with it, since you can get a good melee weapon for Barret right outside of Midgar. The stuff you get from stealing only gets better as you progress too. I was shocked at some of the stuff I was getting.

It's worth keeping Steal if only for the amazing Armlets you can get early on from soldiers and dragons.

Not to mention the treasures the Turks hold. *drool*

Natetan

It's dependent on your Dex, so it's gonna be real low in all of Midgar. Stick with it, since you can get a good melee weapon for Barret right outside of Midgar. The stuff you get from stealing only gets better as you progress too. I was shocked at some of the stuff I was getting.

You can also steal amazing weapons for aeries and cloud. One of them is in the train graveyard. It gives like double materia points or something too, and it's the best weapon until at least costa del sol if not later than that. Saves a bundle of money!

Ourobolus

Banned
For some reason, when I patched FF6 with the original audio, I lost my screenshots from before the Returners hideout, so that's what I'll be posting...
On my way out, I get to finally meet the infamous Ultros. Putting Banon in the back row prevents him from dying in one hit, but Terra and Sabin both died at one point. Afterwards, we split up into 3 groups.
ffvi2.png
ffvi3.png
ffvi4.png
ffvi5.png

And here we are. We'll do Locke's first, since doing his and Banon's first *supposedly* makes Shadow stay longer in Sabin's scenario.
ffvi7.png
ffvi8.png
ffvi9.png
ffvi10.png

After stealing enough clothes, it's time to save Celes (oh yeah, and find awesome hidden treasure!), get out of South Figaro and face Tunnel Armor...
ffvi11.png
ffvi12.png
ffvi16.png
ffvi17.png

ffvi18.png
ffvi19.png

And onward to Banon's scenario...which is really short.
ffvi20.png
ffvi21.png
ffvi22.png
ffvi24.png

Finally, on to Sabin's scenario. We recruit Shadow quickly, then make our way to the Imperial Fort.
ffvi25.png
ffvi27.png
ffvi28.png

More to come!

EDIT: I have no idea why these photos suddenly disappeared from my photobucket. :(

Heropon

I'm starting to get worried, the error in which trippy colors appear and the text doesn't has happened again. What could be the cause?

Heropon

Are you playing FF7 on PSP? Turn off the Fast Load option, it messes up the game.

Thanks, I don't know why I turned on that option yesterday, then that's the reason last summer this game ran perfectly and not now.
That means that I'll resume posting screenshots!

Aeana

Started up FF7. I'm just kind of arbitrarily choosing names, except for Beef since Professor Beef asked.

0lXeql.jpg
JdfVol.jpg

omggg.

pb5PVl.jpg
NCRrDl.jpg

duckroll is Cloud, and Beef is Barret. Normally I would have made Kev Barret, but I've got someone else in mind for him.

taXgUl.jpg
1IJrFl.jpg

The planet's dyin', Cloud! Beef is wearing his angry face.

5x6Kol.jpg
Wkzkml.jpg

Scorpion boss. Big pile of who cares, although I am still amused at the weird translation the dialog in this fight got in the English version of the game.

swMHgl.jpg
4sPcYl.jpg

After beating the boss, we run out just in time for the reactor to explode and for Wedge to catch his hair on fire.

eDbcXl.jpg
3sMzel.jpg

Aeris denied. I get a lot of pleasure out of being a jerk to both Aeris and Tifa in this game.

ZSIqwl.jpg
H7f1Ll.jpg

Something about the way duckroll looks in this FMV is super cute to me. Super cute.
And I think everybody else thinks so too, since they are so very happy to see him.

fHOvSl.jpg
f5hiXl.jpg

The dialog here, I think, is pretty well-written in Japanese. In English, it has some fairly weird but also what iconic phrasing, though, and yes, he does in fact call the plate a pizza even in Japanese.

clLSVl.jpg

I went ahead and named Tifa after myself, since I couldn't think of anything else for her. Works for me, she's cool.

94N5Xl.jpg

Biggs got launched, y'all.

L7T21l.jpg

"When I'm in trouble, my hero will come and save me." Yep. Sounds like something I'd say.

Ourobolus

Banned
When we last left our heroes, we were at the Imperial Camp! And we recruited Cyan!
ffvi30.png
He's a great character (story-wise) but terrible in battle. Oh well, SKY (Bushido 2) is the best way to kill the Commander. Then, REVENGE!
ffvi31.png

ffvi32.png
ffvi35.png

ffvi36.png

ffvi37.png
ffvi38.png

ffvi40.png
ffvi41.png
ffvi42.png
ffvi43.png

Then we move on to the Phantom Forest. Thank god I have Sha...
ffvi45.png

Oh son of a bitch!
Oh well, gotta make my way to the front of the Phantom Train.
ffvi47.png
ffvi48.png
ffvi49.png

ffvi50.png
ffvi51.png
ffvi52.png

ffvi53.png
ffvi54.png
ffvi55.png

OH NOES AN UNDEAD TRAIN
WHATEVER WILL I DO
OH RIGHT PHOENIX DOWN
ffvi57.png
ffvi58.png

Onward to Baren Falls. Normally I make it a point to learn "Fire Dance" or "Rising Phoenix" at level 15 before this, but, oh well.
ffvi61.png
ffvi62.png
ffvi63.png

And here we are, on the Veldt.
ffvi64.png
ffvi65.png

Apparently Dried Meat is all that is needed for a new party member!!!
ffvi67.png
ffvi68.png

Yes, thou thou. After going through the Lethe River, we end up back at Narshe for a climactic battle...

Ourobolus

Banned
Sorry for the double post - hit the char limit.

Anyway, back to the climactic battle:
ffvi75.png

Yeah, that one.

Against this bastard:
ffvi78.png

Aw shit, here we go:
ffvi80.png

Normally I split my party. However, I plan on this being a CES (Celes/Edgar/Setzer) run, so I'll make this party of 4 kill everything.
ffvi81.png

So easy.
ffvi82.png
ffvi83.png

ffvi85.png

AAAAAAAA
AAAAND there goes Terra.
ffvi87.png

Heropon

DSABW.png

I don't know why it's written correctly in Spanish if the translation is based on the English one (evidenced by fiesta=party and other embarrasing things...)

DSABW.png

I don't know why it's written correctly in Spanish if the translation is based on the English one (evidenced by fiesta=party and other embarrasing things...)

I died horribly my first time playing this (it was my first time trying a Final Fantasy) because of that translation. I didn't actually play the game again until years later, by which point I'd already played 4 and 6.

ninjatrigg

Neo Member

They are on psn as FF Origins. A PSone classic.
There isnt support for them yet, but I imagine they will be supporting it sooner or later.
I cant believe they didnt put the Anniversary versions on the PSN. I would have bought them.

I bought 3 for DS when it first came out. I never got around to playing through it.
I am loving 2. I never played past where you get the snow ship. Its like a brand new game for me :)

I am very anxious to playing 4:TAY. 4 is my fav FF because of the characters.

FFX better be released for Vita by the time I get to it! :D

Heropon

I died horribly my first time playing this (it was my first time trying a Final Fantasy) because of that translation. I didn't actually play the game again until years later, by which point I'd already played 4 and 6.

Well, my first time playing FFVI I didn't know English and Welch killed me. I don't know when I tried it again.

Part VIII: Preparations

These caves are quite terrible. This about sums it up.

KnVYA.jpg

Lucikly, random encounters aren't a problem anymore. My M. Knights hit for a TON of damage.

OS2j6.jpg

Lots of hidden passages later:

isaMW.jpg

Hnnnng.

OegIV.jpg

Finally, a bossfight! However he isn't very hard. I go on the full on offence, since it's the only thing I CAN do with this team.

l5yho.jpg

With all the fangs in my possession, I can finally cross these statues!

D6iVJ.jpg

A crystal tower lies beyond. Well, this doesn't look like a final boss stage oh no not at all. I decide to peak in.

dOlbf.jpg
CsX6u.jpg

Inside I finally find the earth crystal. It's being guarded by a color swap of the previous boss.

1Ryxa.jpg

You don't look like Titan at all! Anyway, I barely make it out alive. A team of all M. Knights was fun, but I guess it won't last very long here.

tH6MB.jpg
CDCvU.jpg

Okay, time to head to Dorga. After fiddling around with my jobs, my party as it will enter the final stage will be this:

vHw0v.jpg

Dat shaman sprite.

Since I have to use the nautilus again, I might as well check out that dungeon I missed.

WyGDK.jpg
mO3KV.jpg

N'aaaaaw.

eFsUb.jpg

Oh, hello.

wbeDp.jpg
hnDtL.jpg

*cough* No problem. My shaman died, so I had to hike all the way back instead of using her Exit spell.

zORhU.jpg
Z0HkS.jpg

Turns out this Dorga guy has some strange hobbies.

0tThV.jpg

>_>

Dorga and Unne attack. I have no idea what he is supposed to look like. So weird. But they're both easy peasy lemon squeezy.

1NKOT.jpg
W1J60.jpg

They give me their keys, and die, as they must, since they're not main party members ):

p2KWC.jpg

Right, okay!

tAQJ2.jpg

One labyrinth later:

dZJug.jpg

Oh boy. Am I stuck here? I'm already running out of magic and potions.

dayym.jpg

Some enemies here are quite scary. They all resemble bosses I've fought before. The Djinn that use fire magic are the worst, they can easily kill my party in two turns.

S8Mop.jpg
L5E1k.jpg

One update left?

They are on psn as FF Origins. A PSone classic.
There isnt support for them yet, but I imagine they will be supporting it sooner or later.
I cant believe they didnt put the Anniversary versions on the PSN. I would have bought them.

I bought 3 for DS when it first came out. I never got around to playing through it.
I am loving 2. I never played past where you get the snow ship. Its like a brand new game for me :)

I am very anxious to playing 4:TAY. 4 is my fav FF because of the characters.

FFX better be released for Vita by the time I get to it! :D

Yeah, if Anniversary versions never hit US, I might just spring for Origin release. It'd be nice to have 1-9 (excluding 3) all on my Sony system(s)

Is FF5/6 dogshit on PSX?

Top Bottom