• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Assignment Thread 127: Cityscape

Status
Not open for further replies.

pringles

Theme: Cityscape

"A cityscape is the urban equivalent of a landscape."

Submissions are due by Monday, April 9th at 11:59 PM.

Voting begins Tuesday, April 10th at 12:00 AM, and ends Wednesday, April 11th at 11:59 PM.

1) The theme can be interpreted as you see fit, but keep in mind others will be judging based on whatever criteria they see fit.

2) Only one photo per person, per assignment.
-- Photos must be taken during the assignment period.
-- Only photos to be posted in this thread are to be submissions.
-- You can change your submission by editing your post.
-- To avoid cluttering up the thread, please avoid quoting images.
-- Photos posted in assignment thread should be no larger than 1024 pixels on the long edge. You may include a link to a higher resolution version.

3) One vote for your first choice (3 points) and one vote for your runner-up (1 point), which can be based on any criteria you see fit. You cannot vote for your own submission. Non-participants are also welcome to vote. Criticism/comments encouraged.

4) The "winner" should come up with a new theme/time period. Ties are broken first by the number of first choice votes, then by longest time since last win/thread start, then by longest amount of time participating in assignment threads.

5) Have fun!

GAF Photography Assignment Threads FAQ

aparisi2274

I am not officially entering the contest, as this was taken back in Nov, but I would love some feedback on what you think of it!

6316676021_a2ab232bd4_b.jpg

Exposure 0.5
Aperture f/4.0
Focal Length 21 mm
ISO Speed 800
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Flash Off, Did not fire

pringles

I am not officially entering the contest, as this was taken back in Nov, but I would love some feedback on what you think of it!

6316676021_a2ab232bd4_b.jpg

Exposure 0.5
Aperture f/4.0
Focal Length 21 mm
ISO Speed 800
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Flash Off, Did not fire
I really like it. Great reflections in the water and nice colors.
The flare in the upper right bring down my overall impression of the image a little bit, but still it's a really good photo!

My God it seems forever since I have made an assignment, hopefully you guys will like it, I know that it may seem blurry and all but I tried to make the photo to have an illusion like it was taken in the 90's. If someone is curious, it is the city of Donostia-San Sebastian on the Basque Country of Spain.

Nikon D5000
Exposure 1/10
f/5.6
26 mm
ISO 800

sneaky77

Arnaldo, I like the photo, but I feel it may have been better with some sky cropped as it's not very interesting night all cloudy.

Pringles.. wow.. just wow.

usea

Other people in BR here? Cool. I've tried to take some photos here before, but I'm bad at it. Still, I'd love to see a picture of the city from a fellow gaffer.

Jesus, those shots are good. I'm trying to get into photography, do i need a tripod to pull off night time shots like that?

Not necessarily. If you can put your camera down on a wall or other sturdy base and frame up your shot, you can set it for a long exposure and then use the self-timer to shoot the picture hands-free and shake-free.

1 - Pringles: I love the blue and the contrasting warm tones. Would have been cool if there were traffic driving on the other side of the road, too.

2 - Damaged: Digging the 3 layers in the shot. They make nice lines: The water line, the buildings, and the clouds.

pringles

1 - Pringles: I love the blue and the contrasting warm tones. Would have been cool if there were traffic driving on the other side of the road, too.
Thanks, and yeah I was hoping to catch traffic in both lanes. That road isn't the most heavily trafficked though, especially not at the late hour I was there. Was a bit frustrating standing out in the cold waiting for even one car to pass, let alone two from opposite directions :-/

1: the_log_ride- dat detail, tone, colour, it's perfect. Such a good 50:50 split where detail is captured perfectly in both the upper and lower halves.

2: Damaged- Really like the absence of direct sunlight here, let's the dim illumination paint the city nicely. I think you chose the perfect time to take the photo.

Gabyskra

Banned
I haven't participated in those in forever. I just am not aware of them, they spend too little time on the front page.

1. The_log_ride
2. Damaged

Really impressed.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
1. Log - Great perspective to shoot this from and the lighting is perfect.
2. Damaged - I really like the overall mood and atmosphere of the image.

Damaged

Wow, thanks for the votes guys, wasnt expecting any in this one :)

my votes are

1. the_log_ride - I love this shot, really perfect sunset and the location is amazing

2. Pringles - Stunning colours and a great use of a long exposure

Red

1. the_log_ride - LOVE this photo. Really great sense of place. You captured this sense of civilization receding into nature, and the unfolding sun is so beautiful. The color really brings it all together.

2. Represent. - of all of the entries, yours seems the most alive. The pinpricks of light in the windows are almost like stars. I've always been a fan of the starburst effect with small apertures and long exposures, and here they again remind of stars. My only criticism is the small area where movement is seen, the headlights at the bottom right. I can't help but think the photo would appear even more active with more of the frame occupied by that sort of kinetic energy.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
1. the_log_ride - nuff said. Picture is just amazing.
2. arnoldocastillo2003 - The reflections on the water are great. My only criticism is that the actual city seems to be just a TINY bit out of focus. The reflections are just phenomenal though

1. the_log_ride - LOVE this photo. Really great sense of place. You captured this sense of civilization receding into nature, and the unfolding sun is so beautiful. The color really brings it all together.

2. Represent. - of all of the entries, yours seems the most alive. The pinpricks of light in the windows are almost like stars. I've always been a fan of the starburst effect with small apertures and long exposures, and here they again remind of stars. My only criticism is the small area where movement is seen, the headlights at the bottom right. I can't help but think the photo would appear even more active with more of the frame occupied by that sort of kinetic energy.

Thanks for the vote. I agree with the criticism for sure, and I also don't like how the buildings to the left of the CN Tower can't be seen. But I still like the picture regardless

pringles

1. the_log_ride : there's an incredible 'depth' and detail to the photo, it's very interesting to look at, and also simply beautiful.

2. Represent : I find this shot very appealing, can't put my finger on exactly why but again I think it's full of detail, making it interesting to look at. I'm not sure I like the slant though.

Other comments:

Damaged: Very nice skyline photo, I think the clouds, like someone else said, make the photo have a cool 3-layered effect. The overall photo seems a little dark too me, but still it's a nice one and nearly earned one of my votes.

arnoldocastillo2003 : The skyline isn't very interesting, but the beautiful reflections in the water make up for it. I only wish the sky was more dramatic, as it is; like already mentioned; this crop has too much sky in it.

My votes go to:

1. Damaged: Love the photo, no criticism at all.

2. the_log_ride: really like the contrast of the sun with the city.

And thanks to all for the criticism on my photo, you all are right, I should have crop the top part of the photo to make the eyes focus on the reflections, thanks to all, I will gladly put that in practice next time.

pringles

Okay, the results are in and it was a landslide win:

34 - the_log_ride
12 - pringles
11 - Damaged
2 - Represent.
1 - arnoldocastillo2003

Congrats the_log_ride on a well deserved win, simply a stunning photo!

The top 3:

the_log_ride

pringles

Damaged

Thanks to everyone who participated with photos/comments/votes. Onto the next one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom