• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The 360 and Wii U might use different SIMD (et al) instructions, as well. While they're both Power-based chips, different cpu lines can have different instruction extensions (like how AMD had "3DNow!" floating-point SIMD extensions, then Intel introduced their "SSE" instructions some time later; they were both x86 chips, but if you wrote code that used SSE math, then the 3DNow! chips would essentially have to just use the regular floating-point units to run similar calculations, and that's a lot slower).

Edit: That example is more extreme because it involved two different chipmakers using the same architecture, while our current situation involves IBM being the chipmaker in both cases

Pretty sure a decent compiler would take care of that. The majority of game code would essentially be the same.

AzaK

Man this thread is full steam ahead and it's nice to see some actual conversations going on :) The thread title change caught me though and I do feel it's a tad belittling.

AzaK

So true but I hope Nintendo first party devs will go the extra mile and really push the hardware and for once, share the tech with third party devs to enable better performing products. Sony is a good role model in this instance.

I thought the DSPs were for sound. From what I can tell (guess work). The architecture of WiiU is relatively similar to Xbox360 and rightly so to enable quick and efficient ports. I believe that was a design goal for Nintendo.

All that could mean is just that Wii U finally has unified shaders and that modern guff. The instruction sets could be vastly different.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
All that could mean is just that Wii U finally has unified shaders and that modern guff. The instruction sets could be vastly different.

The low level ASM instruction set would be different but if you're coding in C++, the compiler would handle that. You could still use most of the existing game code without alteration.

HylianTom

Banned
Pics when finished? :3
Sure! It won't look like much, but it'll definitely be an upgrade. The logistics of having a proper room set-up for gaming is going to be the important part. No more having to share the living room, and both the Wii and the PC will be in the same area. I love that!

Man this thread is full steam ahead and it's nice to see some actual conversations going on :) The thread title change caught me though and I do feel it's a tad belittling.
Par for the course? (pardon the pun.. har har.) But I'm kidding. It's a bit of a fair title, until we get some proper news and speculation going. Today has been damn good; the last damn good night we had was when Shocking shared his assessment of the U.

There was some very minor things which could be considered either news or things to heed:

post #2803, "Universal Remote Controller" Wii U patent (Was there a link to this? I didn't see it)

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/04/us_patent_cites_wii_u_as_universal_remote_controller

Patent is by an existing universal remote company, so it's not clear if this is something on behalf of Nintendo or not. as it mentions a bunch of other devices too.
It's an idea I've brought up before so I wouldn't be surprised if they're going to let you use it as a smart remote.

HylianTom

Banned
So true but I hope Nintendo first party devs will go the extra mile and really push the hardware and for once, share the tech with third party devs to enable better performing products. Sony is a good role model in this instance.

This might sound a bit radical, but I wish Nintendo would provide a development expert to each third party studio so that they have someone who's always on duty, ready to share expertise on how to get the most out of the hardware, how to solve common (and uncommon) barriers, offer design suggestions, etc.

I think that this kind of gesture of support would go a long way towards getting better games for the system as a result, and the PR that would come as a result of such action could be a big step towards reversing this conception of Nintendo being cold toward third parties. That, and with better games would hopefully come better sales, which could thaw Nintendo fans' perceptions of many third-party products. It'd be a win-win-win move.

(and if they do it already, ignore my statement)

Aguila

#ICONIC
Hey! I posted that Universal Remote patent stuff in thread 3 and almost nobody paid attention >_< These threads do move a little to fast. New stuff gets covered up very quickly.

Anyway, I'm really excited for the smaller downloadable titles that Nintendo might create for the Wii U. They didn't do so well supporting Wiiware but they have been on a role with the 3DS (pushmo, freakyforms, dillions, and so on).

ASIS

DirectX abstracts a lot of functionality needed to make a game.

For example, DirectX comes with a set of functions for creating textures, you pass in data about the texture and it handles the drawing of it for you. If you were using say, OpenGL then you have to do a lot more work in order to draw a simple texture.

A programming library like DirectX is a set of classes/functions/interfaces that provide common functionality for programmers and save you time in creating a game.

A high level programming language is just that, a language. IE C++, C#, OBJ-C. These are tools for writing software without having to do it in machine code (assembly). APIs (application programming interfaces) like DirectX are written to interface with high level languages.

is OpenGL an API or a programming library as well?

HylianTom

Banned
Hey! I posted that Universal Remote patent stuff in thread 3 and almost nobody paid attention >_< These threads do move a little to fast. New stuff gets covered up very quickly.

Anyway, I'm really excited for the smaller downloadable titles that Nintendo might create for the Wii U. They didn't do so well supporting Wiiware but they have been on a role with the 3DS (pushmo, freakyforms, dillions, and so on).

That would be a very, very strange feature. I'm trying to think of scenarios where one would want to control their TV or DVD plaupyer with the uPad while the other remote(s) are most likely sitting just a few feet away on the coffee table.

Maybe while playing a uPad-only game, I'd be able to pause to a submenu and control the content that's playing on my TV? That'd be convenient.. and it would be a major clue, to me, that Nintendo is planning on putting a HUGE emphasis on the idea of playing uPad-only games while the TV is freed-up for other functions.

So maybe it isn't that strange a feature..

cyberheater

This might sound a bit radical, but I wish Nintendo would provide a development expert to each third party studio so that they have someone who's always on duty, ready to share expertise on how to get the most out of the hardware, how to solve common (and uncommon) barriers, offer design suggestions, etc.

I think that this kind of gesture of support would go a long way towards getting better games for the system as a result, and the PR that would come as a result of such action could be a big step towards reversing this conception of Nintendo being cold toward third parties. That, and with better games would hopefully come better sales, which could thaw Nintendo fans' perceptions of many third-party products. It'd be a win-win-win move.

That would be a great idea. Nintendo really does need to provide the right environment for nurturing third party devs to feel that they are included.

I know in the past, Nintendo have had a history of keeping the best techniques for themselves. And its been well documented by frustrated devs. This needs to change.

I also hope they encourage indie development by providing free tools, a community and a easy to use infrastructure and business model.

stupidvillager

Neo Member

Shurayuki

That would be a very, very strange feature. I'm trying to think of scenarios where one would want to control their TV or DVD plaupyer with the uPad while the other remote(s) are most likely sitting just a few feet away on the coffee table.

Maybe while playing a uPad-only game, I'd be able to pause to a submenu and control the content that's playing on my TV? That'd be convenient.. and it would be a major clue, to me, that Nintendo is planning on putting a HUGE emphasis on the idea of playing uPad-only games while the TV is freed-up for other functions.

So maybe it isn't that strange a feature..

Well as I said earlier that's already a feature the Wii had in Japan, so it's not unthinkable. Though if they had to pay something over it (and I have no clue how it actually worked in Japan) then Nintendo probably wouldn't do it.
I only know when you downloaded the channel it would ask where you live, and the channel page on nintendo.co.jp says you can switch tv channels and change the volume, so it seems to replicate a normal remote.

tvfriend_001dfcrc.jpg

It looked like this, so imagine this on the DRC, you can rate shows and have recommendations, imagine setting an alarm for a show and having the DRC notify you when it starts and asking you if you want to switch immediately (while playing for example, suspending your game). Nothing big or complicated but the kind of neat Nintendo needs.

Can we be best friends?
I had to reply to this, k-pop references everywhere x_x
SNSD gif, and 2NE1 song. Classy.

Hehe sure, I try to spread the K/J-Pop love, comes naturally when you come from teamliquid...
That's actually 4minute in the gif, though but nobody would notice shhh &#9829;

cyberheater

Thinking about it. I'd love for Ninty to to provide a Net Yaroze type dev kit for WiiU.

Dame!

In these time's where we lose brave soldiers almost daily, you can't bail!

At this rate we'll need an own subforum for WiiU speculation threads though.

Please don't go!

Can we be best friends?

There was some very minor things which could be considered either news or things to heed:

post #2803, "Universal Remote Controller" Wii U patent (Was there a link to this? I didn't see it)

post #2842, "Some WiiU talk, considering price (manufacturing cost rumor), Darksider dev saying there are limitations/challenges when working on WiiU", "http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-204-invisible-walls/729198"

post #2878, "IBM is expected to provide guidance for Fiscal year 2012, and in that there should be at least a mention of Wii U. While the amount of Wii U processors that are going to be shipped by year end surely doesn't account for any larger segment of IBM's business, it is certainly something special and something that doesn't occur too frequently. The 50 millionth processor for Wii was shipped in March of 2009, which then would have equaled an average of 1 724 137 processors shipped a month."

Alright, thanks for the recap, but that's not stopping me from leaving unless I see news (;

Terrell

is OpenGL an API or a programming library as well?

It is an API. Directed by an independent group and outsiders can propose and write optimization suggestions. It's also considered more extensible at the expense of finite simplifications of some tasks as seen in DirectX, as it is designed for "extensions" that can be as specific or broad as you need them to be.

I guess if you're going to write your own game engine from scratch then you'll need to know your way around openGL but I think most devs will use a third party engine like UE3 or Cryengine which will need to be heavily optimized for WiiU.

There are other free open source OpenGL game engines available like the Irrlicht Engine where you don't have to get your hands dirty in low level OpenGL commands.

Engines like UE3, being on more than MS platforms, are constantly altered and improved to suit the needs of OpenGL platforms all the time. That's part of the engine's appeal.
But yeah, that means you have to wait for Epic etc. to update them instead of relying on your own talents. And I think a lot of current talent is too lazy to get into the nitty-gritty. Which is really a pity, cuz it's things like getting into the nitty-gritty of an API that actually makes a good-looking game a GREAT-looking game.

Well, with Nintendo improving the console to meet 3rd-party needs/desires, I doubt they'd do it without, y'know, giving them the documentation to take advantage of those requested alterations.
Nintendo shares quite a bit with developers. I think the problem is that Nintendo programmers and developers still use heavy amounts of assembly code to squeeze power out of their consoles, and people in this industry with either the desire or even the KNOWLEDGE to use assembly code is dwindling by the year, so that knowledge isn't helpful for the vast majority.

DCKing

Well, it's not like there's other ideal choices comparable to OpenGL. If you want to develop on ANYTHING not owned by Microsoft, OpenGL is REQUIRED knowledge. So if people don't know how to exploit it in this industry, then they really don't have much of a place within it, if you ask me.
DirectX and OpenGL don't share a monopoly on graphics APIs. All modern consoles have their own specific API tailored for the system which is often the preferred way to program the hardware.

The required knowledge is knowing how to make games, regardless of API. If people are clueless what to do without OpenGL (and with proper documentation) then they don't have much place in the industry.

ASIS

It is an API. Directed by an independent group and outsiders can propose and write optimization suggestions. It's also considered more extensible at the expense of finite simplifications of some tasks as seen in DirectX, as it is designed for "extensions" that can be as specific or broad as you need them to be.

Got it, thank you very much.

I think that's enough tech talk for me in one day :p

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
What was the last rumored kits given out? They're probably giving the best stuff to big names and those with exclusives.

Newer dev kits (post v4) were supposed to come to big western third-parties at the end of march. It's plausible that important japanese third-parties like capcom received it a bit earlier. There's also the possibility of a delay in their delivery.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Can we be best friends?

Alright, thanks for the recap, but that's not stopping me from leaving unless I see news (;

Can you at least watch over us indifferently? Would help me sleep better.

cyberheater

Newer dev kits (post v4) were supposed to come to big western third-parties at the end of march. It's plausible that important japanese third-parties like capcom received it a bit earlier. There's also the possibility of a delay in their delivery.

Aren't they cutting it a bit fine in terms of development time for launch games?

HylianTom

Banned
That would be a great idea. Nintendo really does need to provide the right environment for nurturing third party devs to feel that they are included.

I know in the past, Nintendo have had a history of keeping the best techniques for themselves. And its been well documented by frustrated devs. This needs to change.

I also hope they encourage indie development by providing free tools, a community and a easy to use infrastructure and business model.

My thing is, in order to improve relations, they need to take any knocks against them away - and go beyond. Providing that number of developers for support would cost them millions yearly, but it would be repaid in increased games and system sales.

If word gets around that Nintendo provides the best of support, then this could be a huge part what gets them more third-party efforts. And think of smaller development houses with a small number of people working on their game. The presence of another highly-skilled person on that team is going to be felt in a very big, positive way.

The more I think about this, the more I like it.

My thing is, in order to improve relations, they need to take any knocks against them away - and go beyond. Providing that number of developers for support would cost them millions yearly, but it would be repaid in increased games and system sales.

If word gets around that Nintendo provides the best of support, then this could be a huge part what gets them more third-party efforts. And think of smaller development houses with a small number of people working on their game. The presence of another highly-skilled person on that team is going to be felt in a very big, positive way.

The more I think about this, the more I like it.
it would be amazing if nintendo took the nurturing of small developers upon themselves, as well as offer marketing and all that, as well as the tools to make games that look good.

They spent years building up that bank, now it's time to put it to work.

HylianTom

Banned
it would be amazing if nintendo took the nurturing of small developers upon themselves, as well as offer marketing and all that, as well as the tools to make games that look good.

They spent years building up that bank, now it's time to put it to work.

And it could be a generational thing, where if they plant the seeds of goodwill now, it would yield fruit for decades to come. Up-and-coming developers would be ever-thankful to Nintendo for the crucial support provided to them in their early, difficult days. Heck, this kind of support for some could be the difference between sink or swim.

And it could be a generational thing, where if they plant the seeds of goodwill now, it would yield fruit for decades to come. Up-and-coming developers would be ever-thankful to Nintendo for the crucial support provided to them in their early, difficult days. Heck, this kind of support for some could be the difference between sink or swim.
too bad nintendo has so much stuff they need to catch up on, I can see this being an afterthought for them at the moment. I hope I'm wrong though.

I've always said something similar, that making the hardware and the tools is just step 1, they have to work hard to create the partnerships/relationships, foster them, hold hands if they have to, make it work. Sometimes these companies won't do anything until you kick them in the ass and make them do it. That goes for big and small devs alike.

HylianTom

Banned
too bad nintendo has so much stuff they need to catch up on, I can see this being an afterthought for them at the moment. I hope I'm wrong though.

I've always said something similar, that making the hardware and the tools is just step 1, they have to work hard to create the partnerships/relationships, foster them, hold hands if they have to, make it work. Sometimes these companies won't do anything until you kick them in the ass and make them do it. That goes for big and small devs alike.

They've ramped-up hiring and construction of new buildings for development. My theory is that they're going to see if joining the "HD generation" is really going to increase costs (both human and financial) and development time as much as they thought. Once they get a grip on that aspect of development, though, they should do everything in their power to bring-up those whom they want support from.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
A bit of info concerning the CPU

After discussing with a member here about the specificities of the Wii U CPU, and searching on it for a particularity that could constitute an hindrance for some of middleware companies if they don't optimize their product for, i was able to get some vague infos, i can't go too much into details, and it's from a totally different source that the ones i was referring to before. Nothing groundbreaking, but it's a confirmation at least.

- The instructions set of the CPU (their "routine") is definitively even more advanced and targeted for gaming that the VMX128 included in the Xbox360 Xenon.
- Expect a noticeable lowering of the caches latency (fewer cycles), i assume L1 & L2.

It clearly reinforce the fact that Wii U CPU is more modern, efficient, and more powerful overall than the Xbox360 one. You can even ditch the scenario where the Wii U could be a Xenon+10% + not so much powerful GPU, with 1GB of ram, the CPU really seems to constitute an advancement.

What Nintendo has is a message board where developers can post questions/problems/tips for other developers, and Nintendo has support people who watch the board and respond to questions. I think it's a decent enough system, and it can do more than your idea of a Nintendo expert for each company, because this way all developers can see the responses, not just the one with the problem. Plus, sometimes Nintendo does *not* know the answer to something (such as a bug in the hardware or in the OS), and developers can work together to figure it out.

After discussing with a member here about the specificities of the Wii U CPU, and searching on it for a particularity that could constitute an hindrance for some of middleware companies if they don't optimize their product for, i was able to find some vague infos, i can't go too much into details, and it's from a totally different source that the ones i was referring too before. Nothing groundbreaking, but it's a confirmation at least.

- The instructions set of the CPU, their "routine", is definitively even more advanced and targeted for gaming that the VMX128 included in the Xbox360 Xenon.
- Expect a noticeable lowering of the caches latency (fewer cycles), i assume L1 & L2.

It definitively reinforce the fact that Wii U CPU is more modern, efficient, and more powerful overall than the Xbox360 one. You can even ditch the scenario where the Wii U could be a Xenon+10% + not so much powerful GPU, with 1GB of ram, the CPU really seems to constitute an advancement.
nothing too new here but nice to hear again, thanks.

After discussing with a member here about the specificities of the Wii U CPU, and searching on it for a particularity that could constitute an hindrance for some of middleware companies if they don't optimize their product for, i was able to find some vague infos, i can't go too much into details, and it's from a totally different source that the ones i was referring too before. Nothing groundbreaking, but it's a confirmation at least.

- The instructions set of the CPU, their "routine", is definitively even more advanced and targeted for gaming that the VMX128 included in the Xbox360 Xenon.

It definitively reinforce the fact that Wii U CPU is more modern, efficient, and more powerful overall than the Xbox360 one. You can even ditch the scenario where the Wii U could be a Xenon+10% + not so much powerful GPU, with 1GB of ram, the CPU really seems to constitute an advancement.

Yess. All will be fine

HylianTom

Banned
What Nintendo has is a message board where developers can post questions/problems/tips for other developers, and Nintendo has support people who watch the board and respond to questions. I think it's a decent enough system, and it can do more than your idea of a Nintendo expert for each company, because this way all developers can see the responses, not just the one with the problem. Plus, sometimes Nintendo does *not* know the answer to something (such as a bug in the hardware or in the OS), and developers can work together to figure it out.

Cool! That's kinda why I wrote the spoiler'd comment below the post, as I'm not quite privy to all of the details of their degree of support. The message board sounds fantastic.. why did I not know about it before?

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Aren't they cutting it a bit fine in terms of development time for launch games?

Well, considering some things aren't even available for developers in v4 dev kits (i'll elaborate on this later in april), i guess they are making their games how they can, while imagining implementation in their titles and making room for some expected features. Still, nearly all is available for them to exploit the hardware & the padlet, the core of the system in other terms. And from what i know, the V5 dev kits aren't a deal-breaker thing, they will see an increase of the performances of their engine on it, they won't have in their hands a completely new & exotic development environment through drastic changes of hardware and software tools that may push them to redo some parts of their games. They will be on time, at least for the projects of my sources.

ehh it's not getting their first dev kit, it's just getting the 4th revision. I can't imagine it takes a super long time to optimize it further to suit it.

It's the "5th" actually, one of my source called it the V5, lherre here told us it was a different codename, but it's a true next revision following the V4 dev kits that were in the possession of big third-parties until at least march included.

BurntPork

Banned

Interesting.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!

Yes they are doing it, i've talked about a "tutorship" in the thread 2 i guess. Well, at least they did it one year ago, for a certain studio :p

nordique

After discussing with a member here about the specificities of the Wii U CPU, and searching on it for a particularity that could constitute an hindrance for some of middleware companies if they don't optimize their product for, i was able to find some vague infos, i can't go too much into details, and it's from a totally different source that the ones i was referring to before. Nothing groundbreaking, but it's a confirmation at least.

Interesting, thanks for posting this IdeaMan

TunaLover

I'm not sure how CPU routines works, but it could be possible that it's just the case in which both set of intructions (360/WiiU) works in different way, so it make appears Wii U's routines as more complex because they are new for devs?

IdeaMan said:
What's cache latency, and what does it means for Wii U overall performance?

After discussing with a member here about the specificities of the Wii U CPU, and searching on it for a particularity that could constitute an hindrance for some of middleware companies if they don't optimize their product for, i was able to find some vague infos, i can't go too much into details, and it's from a totally different source that the ones i was referring to before. Nothing groundbreaking, but it's a confirmation at least.

Faster caches, hrm. Sometimes that means smaller caches (or, in the case of seven years of advances, caches that could have been larger with the same lateny).

Still, even if it has faster memory access and better extensions, the increase in instructions per clock is not going to be that much faster if it's the same number of cores and a similar clock frequency.

I like this info, though. It is definitely telling us that the system is striving for improvement over previous hardware. :)

nordique

Faster caches, hrm. Sometimes that means smaller caches (or, in the case of seven years of advances, caches that could have been larger with the same lateny).

Still, even if it has faster memory access and better extensions, the increase in instructions per clock is not going to be that much faster if it's the same number of cores and a similar clock frequency.

I like this info, though. It is definitely telling us that the system is striving for improvement over previous hardware. :)

We do have an idea that the L2 cache size is 3x that of the 360's (3MB vs 1MB)

(at least in some version of some devkit that is so)

OoOE may be helping this too. And don't forget the role the seperate I/O and DSP processors have and how they may impact CPU performance

I wonder how much of that is related to what IdeaMan posted

What's cache latency, and what does it means for Wii U overall performance?

Cache latency is the number of cpu clock ticks it takes between asking for a piece of data and getting it. Caches have copies of some of the system's memory (ideally the most frequently accessed stuff) so that when the system asks for the data, instead of taking much longer to retrieve from memory, it can be obtained from the caches much more quickly.

The lower the cache latency, the faster the data can be accessed. If your next questions is "Well, why don't they just use the cache for the whole memory?", then the answer is (A) cache memory is more expensive on account of being much faster, and (B) if you increase the size of the cache, it can increase the latency of the cache (eg, it'll take longer to search through a bigger cache!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom