• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azure J

Wow, Li Mu Bai has slowly been coming close to suggesting that as per one of my wilder speculation ideas, instead of MS & Nintendo being close enough to be port buddies next time around, it could seriously be Sony & Nintendo sharing the plate. Japanese resurgence on the console scene becoming more possible?

BUT WHO AM I

Indeed, who are you?

Totally random but I just felt like digging up/posting this commercial right now. :lol

guek

Banned
yeah but the difference is that apple has proven that they can charge premium prices and make a killing. MS hasn't yet. The 360 is doing so well in the living room mostly because it's so cheap. That 199 SKU made a killing for them, that shit was like 149 or less on big sale days.

Very true, but what I'm saying is they might be looking at what made them successful this generation and taking that to an extreme. Making losses and selling a pittance for the first 5 years might not matter to them in the least. The xbox brand will keep on being subsidized and keep on chuggging, slowly building steam as the price goes down and consumer awareness goes up. Devs will become even more entrenched in the platform over time, gamers more and more attached to live, and "720" or whatever moniker they go with become more and more synonymous with home entertainment.

the extra year didn't hurt as well

next-gen is gonna be massively interesting.

Yeah, I've pointed that out as well. And yet they are still only a few million ahead of PS3.

Obviously we'll never know, but what if Sony doesn't make an $800 console and Nintendo (if true) doesn't pass on what we know as Kinect? Where would that leave MS this gen?

BUT WHO AM I

One of the photoshop masters. (Didn't want to offend the other talented people here. :p)

Wow, Li Mu Bai has slowly been coming close to suggesting that as per one of my wilder speculation ideas, instead of MS & Nintendo being close enough to be port buddies next time around, it could seriously be Sony & Nintendo sharing the plate. Japanese resurgence on the console scene becoming more possible?

It would be pretty insane from our current standpoint if devs used Nintendo/Sony as a port baseline for the coming generation. That actually might be the worst case scenario for Microsoft -- it could put them in Sony's 7th gen position.

Very true, but what I'm saying is they might be looking at what made them successful this generation and taking that to an extreme. Making losses and selling a pittance for the first 5 years might not matter to them in the least. The xbox brand will keep on being subsidized and keep on chuggging, slowly building steam as the price goes down and consumer awareness goes up. Devs will become even more entrenched in the platform over time, gamers more and more attached to live, and "720" or whatever moniker they go with become more and more synonymous with home entertainment.
but just as easily as all that could happen, they could not catch any momentum besides initial sales which always come, and then they'll be forced to either take further losses or go into a panic mode that not even nintendo can work themselves out of.

Developers go where the people buying the most games are, despite all the bullshit they spew. If Sony releases hardware closer to nintendo's in both price and specs (it'll be better but rumours point to not a whole lot better?), and if those 2 are successful, it could leave MS as the odd one out.

The thing that always burns companies is arrogance, 360 was quite successful but I don't think they're ready to make that big leap yet.

Hey, concerning the Xbox Giga…

Did anything really come out of Johnny Chung Lee's employment at Microsoft yet? He was an incredibly clever R&D guy -- the fellow who mounted sensor bar emitters onto glasses and put a Wii remote on the TV to make a really sweet looking pseudo-3D motion tracker (as well as other interesting projects, like the Wii-based whiteboard).

But Kinect doesn't seem to have introduced much that has been in-line with his particular brand of creativity. I in fact forgot about him wholesale until (oddly) reading bgassassin's description of Nibel (because in both examples it's a guy who takes hardware interfaces and figures out how they could be made to do cool stuff). This makes me a little more interested in seeing what Microsoft might have planned for the next iteration of Kinect, or anything else they have in mind in terms of control interfaces. Johnny is a Nintendo-level brainstorm machine when it comes to working out ways of distilling conventional level technology into concentrated fun, I suspect.

Just a thought. Anybody heard from him lately?

edit: Hrm, his page says he works for Google now? What happened there?

edit²: Oh, happened early last year. Never mind, Microsoft am doomed, etc, etc.

guek

Banned
but just as easily as all that could happen, they could not catch any momentum besides initial sales which always come, and then they'll be forced to either take further losses or go into a panic mode that not even nintendo can work themselves out of.

Developers go where the people buying the most games are, despite all the bullshit they spew. If Sony releases hardware closer to nintendo's in both price and specs (it'll be better but rumours point to not a whole lot better?), and if those 2 are successful, it could leave MS as the odd one out.

The thing that always burns companies is arrogance, 360 was quite successful but I don't think they're ready to make that big leap yet.

Yeah, I'm not saying it's not a dangerous strategy, but I think the logic is potentially sound. There's risk for sure, and arrogance might be blinding them to that. Gamers are almost as fickle as the mainstream casual crowd. It's a bit startling how quickly public perception changed for sony from the unbeatable gaming goliath to the impotent shadow of their former glory.

wsippel

Banned
Rösti;37030822 said:
One thing I saw yesterday was that on Imatest's webpage, Nintendo is mentioned as a customer under the category "semiconductor". I've searched thoroughly for what this could be, but I haven't found any connection to Wii or 3DS. Does anyone know what they have supplied to Nintendo? In 2009, Nintendo was mentioned as a customer under the "miscellaneous" category.

http://www.imatest.com/about/customers/
Imatest seems to provide the calibration software for PixArt, the company behind the Wiimote MOT camera. It's possible their calibration software is also used on DSi and 3DS.

Well, it's not as though MS will miss out on any multiplatform titles on account of being too powerful. But they're not going to get any significant number of third-party exclusives simply by virtue of having the most powerful system - HD budgets ensure that. Which leads me to wonder whether MS is delusional on that last point, whether they're incredibly confident in the system-selling power of their first-party Durango lineup, or whether they just think graphical bells and whistles will be a bigger selling point than has historically been the case.

Snakeyes

Question for the tech savvy guys here; what is meant by "transitional system" and can you give a parallel with a past console generation?

From the current look of things, I'm pegging the Wii U at (successful) Saturn level, Orbis at PSX level and Durango at N64 level. What do you think?

guek

Banned
Question for the tech savvy guys here; what is meant by "transitional system" and can you give a parallel with a generation that was released in the past?

From the current look of things, I'm pegging the Wii U at (successful) Saturn level, Orbis at PSX level and Durango at N64 level. What do you think?

Closest thing would probably be dreamcast, though that may be being too generous

Question for the tech savvy guys here; what is meant by "transitional system" and can you give a parallel with a past console generation?

TurboGrafx-16 was pretty much the prototypical transitional system.

But the term really just means "faster than what we got now, not as fast as what we'll have soon". It's technically correct but mainly pejorative, I suspect.

edit: But the analogy for the upcoming system that have been rattling in my head has been more Wii U = Dreamcast ; PS4ever = PS2 ; Xboxatron = Gamecube

nordique

These links don't work in secondapps. :(

Edit: I guess I overestimated the speed of this thread. :/

Here's are those quotes from that thread:

Acert, my apologies for the late reply. I do indeed have "sources" working with development kits, though the information is not flowing as freely as you may assume. The SDK version can actually be verified online, if you know where to look. I told you one aspect of the GPU, I meant the "lost in translation" comment quite literally, as my japanese is a tad rusty. Other than it being of a custom & more modern design, the GPU is as much of a mystery to me as anyone else here. (due not to a lack of trying to obtain the information, I assure you) Yes I know that custom is a nebulous statement, it is truly a matter of degrees. And no console GPU appears out of a vacuum, I'm trying to obtain information referencing its base. I had heard of the CPU target specifications some time ago online, & simply verified if these were accurate or not. Due to the late arrival of the system, I was expecting something much more powerful than the Xenon. Regardless, some information was shared freely, other information was not.

The details you seek, specifically clock speeds, SPUs, ROPs, FLOPs, TUs, etc, I do not possess. I would've certainly leaked them, if it would not compromise my sources' position. The V5 dev kit seemed to still be focusing on 3rd party engine optimizations, efficiency, etcetera. Perhaps including a 5-15% performance boost as well. A "transitional console" would be an apt description based upon what I've gathered thus far. No outrageous power claims, as Orbis & Durango will definitely outclass it. (the Durango much moreso, as MS have been imbibing the Mark Rein laced punch) The strength will, as I said previously, be in proprietary engine development. The Wii U can still perform visual effects that the PS3 & 360 cannot. Which is only to be expected, why anyone here expected less is beyond my comprehension.

&

Correct, & in some instances much more capable. Btw, both the tablet & console form factors are not quite finalized. Expect some changes at E3.

... which was in response to this:
I get impression we are being duped into thinking this is a really weak console..when in fact its going to be at least 50-100% more powerfull.

edit: beaten twice

edit #2: fwiw, bg also has heard similar things to Li Mu Bai

Indeed, who are you?

Totally random but I just felt like digging up/posting this commercial right now. :lol

I wouldn't put too much stock in what Li Mu Bai says over there. His act is starting to reek of something all too familiar...

What happens if you change out 'Wii Sports' with '1st Party titles'?

Not a loaded question, I'm genuinely curious. I'd be shocked if the Wii created the kind of 3rd party revenue that the 360 does / did.
Definitely the case, though it's harder to quantify since they don't flat out release total numbers for first and third party. Someone who keeps better track of NPD info might have a better idea of the split in America, but here's what I've got for Japan from Famitsu figures:
3rd+Party

Definitely the case, though it's harder to quantify since they don't flat out release total numbers for first and third party. Someone who keeps better track of NPD info might have a better idea of the split in America, but here's what I've got for Japan from Famitsu figures:
Wii+Software/html/0/gid-0/S142/abb-0/1st+Party/gid-1/S143/abb-1/3rd+Party.jpeg

That's pretty damning. But I will counter with this link. The numbers (2010, in this case) are not great, but they are better than what you see here, with a majority of unit sales (to Japan and US) going to third parties.

BETTER:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/132235/the_mushroom_growth_plan_inside_.php?print=1
In the US, by about the 14th month, Wii's overall third party sales had exceeded that of the Xbox 360's, despite the latter having a year's head start.

nordique

And now we have someone from Vigil saying "What I can say is, Wii U is Next Gen Hardware"

lol.

It would seem the logical conclusion is Wii U is more than simply "on par" with PS360, but the Wii U version of Darksiders II will visually be "on par" with PS360. Perhaps context sensitive remarks were truly what caused a few of those ridiculous other threads.

(edit - just to add, this is who hiphopgamer had that living room interview with http://twitter.com/#!/JG_CHEFS)

Oddduck

We should make a thread asking.

As for hiphop gamer, I wouldn't put too much stock in him.

But the guy he's interviewing in the video is a real THQ/Virgil employee though, right?

So it doesn't matter who the interviewer is as long as the guy in the video is a real THQ/Virgil employee.

guek

Banned
But the guy he's interviewing in the video is a real THQ employee though, right?

So it doesn't matter who's interviewing as long as the guy in the video is a real THQ employee.

Pfft. Probably paid to be there by nintendo. I bet reggie is behind the camera holding a shotgun. Or worse yet, brandishing his bare knuckles.

Kacho

But the guy he's interviewing in the video is a real THQ/Virgil employee though, right?

So it doesn't matter who's interviewing as long as the guy in the video is a real THQ employee.

Yeah, he is without a doubt a real THQ employee. THQ owns the rights to the WWE license and he had the WWE Champ belt on his shoulder. Confirmed legit.

But the guy he's interviewing in the video is a real THQ employee though, right?

Oh? I can't watch the video. I just assumed it was him by himself saying things he's "heard".
If it's really a Vigil employee then that's good news.
Thread should be called Weekly Vigil Wii U Power News.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/132235/the_mushroom_growth_plan_inside_.php?print=1
In the US, by about the 14th month, Wii's overall third party sales had exceeded that of the Xbox 360's, despite the latter having a year's head start.

third-party-sw-us.gif

I have a local copy of this saved so I can find it more easily.

Third party software ratio wasn't too great (it was overall much better than what JJS's admittedly correct chart showed), but the absolute value was pretty staggering given what people were constantly saying at the time about the system's 3rd party sales.

I don't know what it's like now (probably pretty bad, since third parties more or less gave up on the system in the middle of 2006 and Nintendo kind of followed suit last year), but in its first years, Wii was a 3rd party juggernaut compared to the PS3, despite the PS3 consistently getting vastly higher quality games, and it very often exceeded the third party sales of the Xbox 360.

edit: I'm leaving this here basically so people have something to reference if somebody claims without qualifiers that 3rd party sales on the Wii sucked. Obviously, there are aspects of it that did suck, but the blanket statement is incorrect.

edit: oh, snap, that article's author credited garaph. :D

Sadist

The problem was the Wii never got a steady flow of third party titles.

During the Wii boom a lot of those third party sales are from games like Guitar Hero III, World Tour, Mario & Sonic at the Olympics etc.

I hate to be "that guy" but the Wii was a next-gen system too.

Gen VII = PS3, 360, Wii

Yeah. People saying "Wii U won't be next-gen" don't get it. The generational distinction has nothing to do with power. The Wii U is the successor hardware to the Wii, therefore, it is next-gen.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

and how did it pan out long term given the Wii's hardware dominance? I'm curious - i suspect the long term picture gets a bit shitty ...?

Yeah. People saying "Wii U won't be next-gen" don't get it. The generational distinction has nothing to do with power. The Wii U is the successor hardware to the Wii, therefore, it is next-gen.

I always like to bring up the example how I'm the next generation of my father, but I'm not really more powerful than him. My specs are pretty much the same. Generation is a measurement of time.

Nonetheless, it's pointless to bring up that distinction when somebody's talking about "Next Gen Performance", because it just muddies the discussion. It's best to ignore the term itself (without making a deal of it) and talk about what's actually being discussed: Whether Wii U will be competitive enough to the market in terms of calculative performance.

guek

Banned
and how did it pan out long term given the Wii's hardware dominance? I'm curious - i suspect the long term picture gets a bit shitty ...?

Well we know wii software sales have been way down for the past year and a half and 360 sales way up. Whether or not the streams ever crossed probably depends on how big the gap in sales were around 2 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom